It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black campus employee assaults student for "culture appropriation" at SFSU

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Are black people that have their hair straightened guilty of the same offense?

Ding ding ding ding................we have a winner. You are correct sir.
Does any one culture own something that was made by the human species. Oh and she is a racist POS and needs to be fired. I also hope the guy sues the school as another poster stated.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015
a reply to: svetlana84

I wouldn't hire her either. She could have quite easily chosen to remain professional and just left the guy alone.

But then she'd be accused of "acting white". Right?

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 06:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: namelesss

originally posted by: Klassified
No. We are not all racist....

Yes, we are.
It is hard-wired!
We are either recovering, or we are practicing!
Denial = practicing!

Then we agree to disagree.
edit on 3/30/2016 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Now we have a reaction from Cory Goldstein, the dreadlocks guy.

He says the incident started even before the video. He tried to just walk of the conversation before the video.

Now I would love to see a statement from her. Also I would advise her to give a public statement/apology.
Damage control would be in her own interest, if you google her name the first 5 pages deal with this incident.

A swift, open and apologizing statement is what everyone in communications would advise.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   
The thing that set her off was when he reminded her that African Americans have nothing to do with the Egyptian Civilization. She on the other hand would love to walk around with Egyptian style jewellery which is ironic really!

Don't touch me, what a joke clearly truth is not something she stands for !
edit on 30-3-2016 by zinc12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   
The problem here is not that she feels dreadlocks on a non-African American is cultural misappropriation. It's perfectly fine to believe that. I actually think there's even some (some) validity to that, although that is clearly not the intent of this individual imo. It's even okay to say you feel that way, and to respectfully and civilly approach someone and engage them in polite debate about the fact that you feel that way. It's okay to walk up to him and respectfully and civilly say, "This causes me pain and makes me feel (insert emotion) because of X."

What's not okay - and this is the real issue here - is physically touching someone, their property, or their person, and forcing them to engage in the discussion you're wishing to have. I can virtually guarantee that had she instead calmly approached him and said something along the lines of, "Hey. Is it alright if I talk to you for a minute?" and then sat down with him calmly and proceeded to say, "I respect your right to do what you want with your own body and apparel, and I'm not calling you a bad person or a racist person, but here's how this makes me feel, and here's why, and I just needed you to hear that, and at least think about it, regardless of your intentions, because it's easy for you to say this shouldn't be a big deal, but to me - to us - it is, because (insert history of misappropriation and oppression,)" this would not be the viral controversy it now is.

I've been a supporter of the premise behind things like BLM, because I do very adamantly believe racism is alive and well in this country, and that intersectional oppression exists and matters and needs to be addressed and talked about. But I've also said time and time again that any protest, any movement, any force for change, must have the moral authority it purports to own in actual reality - not just in words - in order to win or affect any real change. And acts of violence - great or small - destroy any claim to said moral authority. One cannot advocate equality and sensitivity and respect and dignity, while also inciting or engaging in violence. It just doesn't work. It destroys your message and makes you look like the bad guy. And it, perhaps more damningly, gives ammunition to the bigots.

Martin Luther King Jr. and marchers peacefully walking together and getting sprayed with fire hoses by brutal authoritarians sends a far more powerful message and makes a case for real change, than a violent rally or accosting a college student who disagrees with you. Passive resistance isn't effective or desirable just because in theory it's less destructive... it's also more effective because of the optics. How things look matters to the outcome of any movement. People refusing to engage in violence and being passionate yet civil even in the face of brutality and racism = it won't be long before everyone is on your side. As Ghandi said, first they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But if you resort to violence, your two options become: no one on your side, or, a violent revolution.

If the goal really is violent revolution, count me out. Equality can't come from further cycles of violence and destruction. Equality will come when we are united, and willing to truly listen and hear one another and take pains to do so rather than fighting one another.

IMHO

Peace.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: zinc12

Yes this woman is a living breathing JOKE. And a joke in the worst possible taste. Now the joke's on her,i don't see how anyone could take her seriously,or mistake her for anyone with professionalism and people skills,or suitable for dealing with the public.She is not just racist and intolerant of other's rights,she is downright Stupid.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   

The simple answer is, "No, it's not racism."

People are confusing the term "racist" and all of it's forms with other things, like stereotyping, or bigotry, or xenophobia.

Now, I think that she suffers from bigoted stereotyping and political correctness gone amuck, along with lacking acceptance of self-expression (a major tenet of the college experience, IMO). She also may be a little crazy.

But I don't know for sure, because the video has been removed at this point.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: AceWombat04

and if someone who's a random stranger comes up to me and in an arrogant way proceeds to telk me that my hair makes them feel emotional pain. I would respond with. that sounds like a personal problem and walk away.

then I would point out that maybe they should talk to a psycologist to get the help they need to deal with fact that they are forcing others to take responsibility for their personal insecurities that they project o onto others via ignorant, bigoted, totalitarian and abrasive behaviour.

so, no, it's not ok to go up to random people and give them a pep talk about how your insecurities and ignorance make you feel uncomfortable around others and that its somehow someone else's fault. just like its not ok for me to walk up to random strangers and start projecting my personal insecurities on them.

besides it would be all too easy to bulldoze the woman in this video by pointing out all the "white culture" she's "guilty" of "misappropriating" herself.
edit on 30-3-2016 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: bandersnatch
Do we really need more evidence of racism rearing its ugly head?
Truth is, everybody is a racist....its a part of our psyche....
Some can control their urges better than others that's all....what a crock of divisive crap.....
You are ALL racists.....its natural....the rest is all social engineering ....

Well, if you are a materialist, then yes, you likely are a racist. Racism is nothing but materialism seeing as all humans on earth have 99.9% identical DNA. That 0.1% difference is the surface of what you see. The observable material if you will.

Now culture is another thing. Real, only to the extent of the human mind and imagination. As we are all products of our environment, much like the idiots in this video, one person's version of culture tells them to have hair like X. The other person's version tells them that's not "right". Yet, all of it is imagined...and absolutely not real.

Culture is not your friend. You do not use culture, it uses you, disempowers the individual and allows people to not take responsibility for what they think and do!

Case in point is this video.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   
This is why Trump is popular.

If anyone in the left's power structure, politics, education, media, called out this lady as a racist. By hen Trump wouldn't have supporters.

When a group of people make up rules then ignore their rules, people are going to have strong emotions. Those emotions lead to Trump.

Judge the action don't look for qualifiers.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: IslandOfMisfitToys

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015

I wouldn't hire her either. She could have quite easily chosen to remain professional and just left the guy alone.

But then she'd be accused of "acting white". Right?

Strange thing to say but somewhat telling. Would you care to elaborate?

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Visiting ESB

How about the school and education and media as she lives in the White Supreme US?

Wait, nevermind its just her culture because she grew up in America watching the same shows, same music, same Walmarts, same roads, same cars, same soda, same.... aww damn people!

She is white.

This is a first world problem.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Interesting point you make.

Semantically we can go towards: "bigotted aggressive Stereotyping along racial lines"

Thanks for mentionig the video is down. The woman is in damage control mode; yesterday i checked her FB, Linkedin and other profiles today 4 of these have been shut down.

On the other hand i read on Cory Goldsteins FB, that several newsstations including Fox are offering to buy the video rights.
Surprisingly he is not a Fox fan :-)

Anyways the video again:

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Well that's kind of my point.

If someone believes or feels a thing, they have the right to walk up and civilly attempt to engage you in discussion about that. And you likewise have the right to walk away. They don't have the right to physically accost you or force you to engage in said discussion.

Basically what I'm saying is I understand and respect where she's coming from, but she does not have the right to engage him in that way. The problem isn't her belief (which I might even agree with, to a degree,) it's her placing her hands on him and her refusal to allow him to walk away.

Peace.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   
This is a really smart breakdown of what we witnessed in the video.

edit on 30-3-2016 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

I support most claims of cultural appropriation and believe it is often a very valid complaint

Will you give me an example?

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   
What a racist, meddling woman. It's none of her business what he wants to do with his hair. Why is this even an issue?

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sparkymedic

originally posted by: bandersnatch
Do we really need more evidence of racism rearing its ugly head?
Truth is, everybody is a racist....its a part of our psyche....
Some can control their urges better than others that's all....what a crock of divisive crap.....
You are ALL racists.....its natural....the rest is all social engineering ....

Well, if you are a materialist, then yes, you likely are a racist. Racism is nothing but materialism seeing as all humans on earth have 99.9% identical DNA. That 0.1% difference is the surface of what you see. The observable material if you will.

Now culture is another thing. Real, only to the extent of the human mind and imagination. As we are all products of our environment, much like the idiots in this video, one person's version of culture tells them to have hair like X. The other person's version tells them that's not "right". Yet, all of it is imagined...and absolutely not real.

Culture is not your friend. You do not use culture, it uses you, disempowers the individual and allows people to not take responsibility for what they think and do!

Case in point is this video.

Humans also share 98% of their genetic makeup with chimps.... that 1% gave us everything we associate with being human. .1% is 1/10th of 1%, so the difference between fellow humans is 1/10th the difference between humans and chimps. That's still a MASSIVE difference. And that's simply looking at "boring" genetic material, bring Epigenetics into the picture and things get far more complex. I'll agree that race doesn't exist, coming from the perspective that species don't really exist either. All life is simply degrees of similarity, the more similar, the more likely to be grouped together. That doesn't mean all the same. "Culture" is the dark driving force erasing people's individuality and morality, making it easier to claim they are all the same.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

That's a very good video, calm and intelligent analysis.

Thanks for posting it.

The blonde at 5:50 .... shaking my head while face palming. "Your privilege is not welcomed here"
edit on 30-3-2016 by svetlana84 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join