It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black campus employee assaults student for "culture appropriation" at SFSU

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+45 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
This black woman walks to a white student with dreadlocks, and confronts him about having dreadlocks.

In her view it's not "cultural appropiate" for a white guy to wear dreadlocks.
He responds in a good way, tries to walk away but she holds him back, even accusing him of touching her, while clearly holding him.
He tries to walk away again.
At that moment the woman realises she is filmed and attacks the camera.

In my books a racial assault, false accusations and another assault on the camera guy.

The weird thing; The woman works at the SFSU University (her name is already online, i will not post it) AND she works as a videographer.

I am very confused by the actions of the woman. It seems she is really racist and aggressive plus playing the victim at the same time?
Online forums are running wild, asking for her to get fired.

What's your take on it?
Was it racism?
Should she be fired?
Why are we hearing more and more silly stories from american campuses like this?

And as always: keep it civilised. Thanks

+17 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: svetlana84

The irony.

I like how she covers the camera at the end of the video.

Another heart attack.

+20 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Gender and Ethnic "studies" courses have severely degraded the universities. Allowing these upper-middle class parasites to control them will have a destructive effect on the current college generation.

+23 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
It is California
Racist - check
Should she be fired - check

This only works in the real world , The left coast is not the real world. She will be hailed as a conquering hero.

+30 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   

She will not be held accountable for her actions in the PC world we live in. This isn't racism. If the roles were reversed--now that's racism.

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Do we really need more evidence of racism rearing its ugly head?
Truth is, everybody is a racist....its a part of our psyche....
Some can control their urges better than others that's all....what a crock of divisive crap.....
You are ALL racists.....its natural....the rest is all social engineering ....

+18 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Aside from her essentially assaulting this kid, she's actually not 100% correct about the cultural appropriation part. European ancestry has been wearing dreads since ancient Greek culture (we're talking BC). They were also worn by early Christians and old cultures from nearly every continent.

This is an unfortunate case of a person who is lacking in subject matter expertise combined with a hyper-vigilant personality.

I support most claims of cultural appropriation and believe it is often a very valid complaint but dreadlocks have never belonged to her culture exclusively. I imagine she is well aware of this now.

+14 more 
link   
Dreadlocks aren't only from her culture.

A lot of other cultures had dreadlocks in their history including ancient Greece.

+32 more 
link   
More proof that anti-white racism is being taught and promoted at universities around this country. It needs to be called out for what it is and stopped now before things get worse (which I have no doubt they will).

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: bandersnatch
Do we really need more evidence of racism rearing its ugly head?
Truth is, everybody is a racist....its a part of our psyche....
Some can control their urges better than others that's all....what a crock of divisive crap.....
You are ALL racists.....its natural....the rest is all social engineering ....

No. We are not all racist. We are all tribal, and yes, it does come naturally to us.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Maybe it was the overexaggerated gesticulation that screamed middle class and the "yo yo" crap that annoyed her. Have your hair however you want but don't expect to walk around as some kind of patronising living caricature and not have people think you're a moron. Especially at a university.

If you white people are happy to claim this guy then go ahead. Personally my white side is more than a little embarrassed by it.

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

Aside from her essentially assaulting this kid, she's actually not 100% correct about the cultural appropriation part.

No she isn't. What style hair and cloths people wear is not dictated by the color of their skin. Are you going to hold on non-Europeans from "appropriating" our culture? Of course not, this is all about exerting control over people based on their skin color and making them 2nd class citizens.

This is an unfortunate case of a person who is lacking in subject matter expertise combined with a hyper-vigilant personality.

No, this is a case of a racist feeling she can put her hands on and dictate to this white person as she sees as below her about what he wears and how he presents himself based on the fact he's white.

I support most claims of cultural appropriation and believe it is often a very valid complaint but dreadlocks have never belonged to her culture exclusively.

so you're a racist then?

+31 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015

If you white people are happy to claim this guy then go ahead. Personally my white side is more than a little embarrassed by it.

I bet you attack black people who "act white", right?

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Junkheap
Dreadlocks aren't only from her culture.

A lot of other cultures had dreadlocks in their history including ancient Greece.

Dreadlocks aren't from any culture.

No more so than hair is, any way.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

I dunno, name one and I'll tell you what I think.

+12 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Your Medusa-Avatar fits so well with the dreadlocks subject!

And you are right, If I think of dreadlocks it's India's Sadhus, Bob Marley or general hippies. None of them "her" culture.

On the subject of racism; i once learned that if we are not sure if something is sexist, we can just change sexes. If it sounds weird with different sex it probably IS sexist.

So lets mix sex/race;

Imagine
- a men attacking a woman for her hairstyle
- a white person attacking a black person for a hairstyle

There would be a huge outrage all over the news.

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Black people can't be racists.
I guess if this was proper, white people should stop blacks on the street who dye their hair blond or straighten it because that's a white thing. She knew she was wrong that's why she attacked the camera. So what the hell was she trying to prove?

It's incidents like this that adds ammunition to the racial divide.

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Man, I guess Bo Derek's cornrows must be offensive, too. How dare a white chick in any decade wear cornrows!

The whining about white people & cornrows is pathetic, I strongly suggest not googling it.

(post by EightTF3 removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: svetlana84
This black woman walks to a white student with dreadlocks, and confronts him about having dreadlocks.

In her view it's not "cultural appropiate" for a white guy to wear dreadlocks.
He responds in a good way, tries to walk away but she holds him back, even accusing him of touching her, while clearly holding him.
He tries to walk away again.
At that moment the woman realises she is filmed and attacks the camera.

In my books a racial assault, false accusations and another assault on the camera guy.

The weird thing; The woman works at the SFSU University (her name is already online, i will not post it) AND she works as a videographer.

I am very confused by the actions of the woman. It seems she is really racist and aggressive plus playing the victim at the same time?
Online forums are running wild, asking for her to get fired.

What's your take on it?
Was it racism?
Should she be fired?
Why are we hearing more and more silly stories from american campuses like this?

And as always: keep it civilised. Thanks

Not so much racism as a claim of something for a race. More of "It's our 'culture' and you can't have it" rather than "You are white and therefore an oppressor." Maybe she thinks that this unique black hairstyle is now restricted to only blacks and wants to make sure that everyone who wears it is officially black.....however that is defined. We could have fun with that topic. Certainly she oversteps her bounds and should be punished for physically assaulting a student. As to the 'culture appropriation' concept; it should be nipped in the bud.
Maybe an appropriate punishment would be for her to make a video extolling personal freedoms in the US and having her victim be one of the subjects.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join