It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist, why are you so offended at anothers display of faith?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

That's agnosticism.

If someone asks "is there a cat in the box?"

"yes", like "no" are stances of belief until the box is looked into

"I don't know" doesn't describe atheism, but agnosticism

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Anyone may be offended at anyone elses perceived higher than thou type of attitude. That is not just found in Christianity but also in Scholastics, Employment and Economical Class.

I have had people look down on me because they thought I was of lower class than they, also in Education those of higher degrees look down on those with lesser degrees or those with none. And give of a persona of pride and arrogance.

To limit these attitudes to one group based on the attitude of a few is an error. Just as I have learned not all Atheist are offended at religious expressions in public. But the few that are militaristic about their Atheistic stand give the other Atheists a bad name.

So as the westboro church give people ammo to judge all Christians as they see them, so also the westboro type of Atheist ruin it for those tolerant and accepting Atheist.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: wisvol

TerryDon, I think we need to link him to the other thread and particularly where we learned what makes a person an Atheist.

I do believe this person is the militaristic type of Atheist that are bound and determined to religiously fight against Christianity even if they are misguided.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

thank you for the link. I have no way of verifying any of it and have to take your word for it.

However a few people who hurt you who claim to be Christian is not an over reaching arch of oppression by the whole of Christendom.

You would find there are far more who are loving and caring than the few that hurt you.

I hope you learn to forgive these people. Something like this kept in the heart without ever letting it go will not allow you to heal emotionally and spiritually but keep you in bondage, fear and hatred.

Like Obama tells his people don't paint ALL Muslims and radical killer. the same can be said for this don't paint all Christians as oppressors, rapist and abusers because ALL are not.

edit on 19-3-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

However a few people who hurt you who claim to be Christian is not an over reaching arch of oppression by the whole of Christendom.

I could have gone on for pages! I have known/met/interacted with literally hundreds of these types of Christians. So, please don't tell me that they are a rare breed, because they are not. They are everywhere.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Here and in the other post it was evident you are bitter.

let it go, don't you think it is time you got better instead of bitter.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   

You asked for an example. I gave you a few. Then you blew those examples off as not the norm. I disagreed and you call me bitter.

Way to be an (emotionally) exploitative Christian! You are part of the problem, stirring the pot to get a rise and then blaming the spoon!

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   

This thread was just good ol fashion click bait.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   

I have had people look down on me because they thought I was of lower class than they

If the evident motive of this thread is typical of your character -- and from your past record here that seems to be the case -- I can certainly see why they might have thought so. Decent, well-meaning folk don't start threads like this one.

edit on 19/3/16 by Astyanax because: of spelling errors

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Well, I can understand if you think that what you said should not have been taken personally, but I don't think you know what 'hate' really is. All genocide; the Holocaust, Inquisitions, ISIS, they all start with dismissiveness, condescension, insensitivity to what others believe. Its no skin off my back. I have no trouble sleeping at night, but you have been desensitized. I know this from my own struggle with hate addiction. You don't even realize how antagonistic your words really are.

The bible is just as quotable as any other piece of literature, especially so in a conversation about faith. For many, it is a philosophy, a spiritual guide, and a way of life. To dismiss someone's attempt to express their faith in a conversation about faith...well it just reminds me how inhospitable this world is.

You have an intolerance to the bible and biblical perspectives. If I were you, I would avoid theological conversations if it is such an area of insecurity (that is until you can resolve your internal conflict)....because intolerance stems from insecurity.

I'll leave you with one last quote if you can stomach it.

Matt 24:19 you will be hated by all nations because of My name.

Think on it.

edit on 20-3-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: typo

edit on 20-3-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: typo

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest
a reply to: nonspecific

Well, I can understand if you think that what you said should not have been taken personally, but I don't think you know what 'hate' really is. All genocide; the Holocaust, Inquisitions, ISIS, they all start with dismissiveness, condescension, insensitivity to what others believe. Its no skin off my back. I have no trouble sleeping at night, but you have been desensitized. I know this from my own struggle with hate addiction. You don't even realize how antagonistic your words really are.

The bible is just as quotable as any other piece of literature, especially so in a conversation about faith.

Think on it.

The point is that you guys ONLY have the bible to quote from. So you just go round and round in your little circle.

And how DARE you talk to us about intolerance. Your book tells me that my gay brother is going to burn in hell for finding love. The Bible is a vile hate filled book.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014
Peopel go to hell for what they believe, not for sins.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: wisvol
a reply to: TerryDon79

That's agnosticism.

If someone asks "is there a cat in the box?"

"yes", like "no" are stances of belief until the box is looked into

"I don't know" doesn't describe atheism, but agnosticism

Incorrect....that's a completely false analogy

'Atheism' is the response to a claim and not a question, specifically the claim made by theists for the existence of gods.

If when asked if you believe in a god you reply 'yes' you're a theist, if you reply with anything else (including 'I don't know') you're an atheist.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

Hahaha, this same old argument always comes up and theists seem to hate the fact that anything other than 'I believe in god' is an atheist position.
Now it can be qualified with agnostic atheist, as there are also agnostic theists, but atheist is anyone who does not believe in any gods.
It is not a belief based position, it is a lack of belief.

I do not believe in any gods but I do not believe there are none, I have no verifiable evidence to draw me towards believing, and no way to confirm there are none. Atheist is therefore the descriptive umbrella term for me.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

If when asked if you believe in a god you reply 'yes' you're a theist, if you reply with anything else (including 'I don't know') you're an atheist.

No

Because belief in anything is belief, including belief in inexistence.

If I believe you don't exist, which I do, I negate the possibilities that you exist and that I don't know whether you exist.

But you wrote posts, so how could I say you don't exist?

Simple: an explosion and soup, plus billions of years, as explained in this book from a school.

Believing there is no theo, no tao, no god, no creator, is belief, and anyone who puts their faith in such a proposition, as is their right to do, believes in the inexistence of a creator.

A response to the claim of the existence of prezbo123 such as "I don't know whether or not there is such a character" is effectively not a belief, but a statement of disinterest in the question.

A response to the same problem such as "I know there is no such character" is a belief.

The lack of belief I have in your existence is the belief that you don't exist.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Evryone is always saying if we are going to solve issues or problems in our society we need to open the dialog. That is all that was done. it seems personal attacks are why many are posting.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Hey wait a minute no one blew them off. I read them and I have to say it is a shame that this had happened.

But wouldn't you rather get better than bitter?

So what is the need to be so mad at me. I didn't do anything. I didn't call you names or imply your a unintelligent, or accuse you of anything. I can't say the same for you.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014
lets please stay on track. there is no reason to go this direction in this thread.

The thread questions why atheist are so offended at another's show of faith.

Obvious we learned throughout the pages that there are two groups of Atheists

1) The intelligent logical ones who say live and lets live and are not offended.

and 2) the militaristic anti-Christian Atheists who are intolerant of anything Christian in public. And as we seen in some of the answers it is entirely the fault of Christians.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: wisvol

If I believe you don't exist, which I do, I negate the possibilities that you exist and that I don't know whether you exist.

Did you know that Buddhism shares this same almost similar view.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Hey wait a minute no one blew them off. I read them and I have to say it is a shame that this had happened.

Um..........you said you couldn't verify the truthfulness of my accounts. That's an insult and "blow off" in my book.

And, your words of sympathy were nothing more than lip service, considering how you told me to "let it go", and labeled my reaction to your dismissal as bitterness.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join