It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist, why are you so offended at anothers display of faith?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

I understand that. And it is becoming very common place of schools accommodating Muslims to keep their prayers five times a day on government and school property and no one says a thing. But accommodate a Christian to pray and all hell breaks loose.

The site one linked too I didn't see one case against Muslims only Christians so SOME Atheist are selective on who they will fight.

I thought that if they just had no faith in a god or gods, why make such a big deal if any one including govt does show faith.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
Recently I was in a discussion on another thread about Atheism. I learned exactly what they don't believe.
An Atheist has no faith in any god or gods.

It is clear that you do not know the difference between 'beliefs', and 'Faith'.
Perhaps I can help alleviate your confusion (if not your ego);

'Beliefs' are a pathologically symptomatic infection of the imagination, the ego! Vanity! Pride (the only 'sin')!
The most commonly observable and consistent 'symptoms' are the constant need to 'defend' (Egos R Us), to 'validate/feed' and to 'propagate' (spread the infection)!
There are many symptoms, but just those three are particularly resented because they must be performed in 'other people's faces'!
One 'deliberately' sallies forth to spread his 'beliefs' (infect) to each and every person not already infected with your particular strain!
And the 'believers' relentlessly persecute others (gays, atheists...), and that, too, seems to be resented by the persecuted!
And any healthy person!

'Faith', on the other hand, is an unconditional Virtue of unconditional Love!

The 'symptoms' of unconditional Love are;

True, unconditional Love is ALWAYS recognized by It's unconditional Virtues; Compassion, Empathy, Sympathy, Gratitude, Humility, Charity (charity is never taking more than your share of anything, ever!), Honesty, Happiness, Faith...
ALWAYS!

This is NEVER resented, but it is as rare as hen's teeth in Xtiandom!

This has nothing to do with 'atheists'!
All any Xtian has to do with 'atheists' is to Love them, unconditionally!
As Jesus Loves us!

Sharing the Faith is any act of unconditional Love!
Proselytizing, and Jesus Loves you-ing all over the place is empty words coming from "whited sepulchers", vain tinkling of brass...
Without being unconditional Love, you are already in Hell!

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

The works of those in the great Tribulation to wash their robes is their own righteousness that you quote in Revelation.

Today, it is the righteousness of Christ that is imputed to the believer.

No back to our regularly scheduled thread OP.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Believers in Christ are no better than anyone else. It is he who is in us and guides us that is better than us all.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

But when were you ever exploited by Christians?

you will not live more than 120 years yet you want to go back and act like you have been exploited over 1700 years.

come on lets stick to the here and now of this.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: namelesss

I use the definition in my preserved word of God for my understanding of faith and belief.

If you really want to know how the bible defines belief and faith you need only search in a bible program "Believeth in", "Believeth on", "by faith" and "through faith". That should give you the understanding I go by.

But generally faith is

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

edit on 18-3-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Actually living from one day to the next requires FAITH.

I have said as much right here on ATS.

Athesism is not a lack of FAITH - it's not having faith in some super-natural being.

No faith equals a lack thereof.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

I thought that if they just had no faith in a god or gods, why make such a big deal if any one including govt does show faith.

An individual in a government position can, as long as it doesn't get in the way of their job, such as that pawn that refused to do her job of granting marriage licences to gay couples because of religious objections, want a theocracy see what Saudi Arabia and Iran looks like, now do I go in for the silly nit picking about Christmas trees and so on ..no! and especially if no other faith are barred from the same during their holy days, but it's just as silly when ppl get upset over starbuck coffee cups not celebrating Christmas.
edit on 18-3-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Of course people are offended when one group attacks another. Who wouldn't be it happens in every area of life.

Then stop doing it.

But what I have come to see in Atheist is a highly processed and unique mind and you would think that they would find better things to do than be offended at crosses, pictures, plaques, nativity scenes and other religious displays.

Do I really need to use "sophism" on this one?

The groups you link to specifically is one of those militaristic atheist site that purposely group like minded Atheist to join in the front to fight people of faith purposely and religiously.

That does not negate the story they were reporting on.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Klass, what we need to see is not all Atheist are offended then there are the militaristic ones who are.

The same with Christians not all are offended and then there are some more extreme that are.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 01:10 AM
link   

But when were you ever exploited by Christians?

Too many times to list.

you will not live more than 120 years yet you want to go back and act like you have been exploited over 1700 years. come on lets stick to the here and now of this.

Keep telling yourself that.

The unbelievable mythology of Christianity would not be so readily accepted today had it not been forced on our ancestors by the end of the sword, and Christianity's critics swiftly eliminated and murdered. I hear the argument all the time from Christians, that Christianity's longevity alone proves its truth. BS!

edit on 19-3-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 05:36 AM
link   

oh so now some Atheist are militaristic and highly offended because you were oppressed over the last 2000 years?

Do you see this TerryDon79. I think we have found why there are some who think Atheism is a religion.

Do you see for this one and those he claims to represents it is fight fire with fire. Not a live and let live like other Atheist do.

I think I have now come to see why SOME not ALL, Atheist are offended at Christianity, yes you limited your rhetoric to the Christian faith when you said 2000 years and then went on a rampage against Christianity. But I was generalizing and encompassing you were not.

There is not one instance in at least 60 years of any one Christian group being heavy handed in tactics.

would you mind enlightening us ignorant fools of which heavy handed tactics you speak of that have happened in your life time?

Very interesting to see such hatred towards Christianity come from such an enlightened being?
funny i found this response hateful mocking and very unenlightened. what happened to turning the other cheek?

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 05:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest
a reply to: nonspecific

This....

And you have done exactly what I expected you to do.

Although it may seem that you are talking sense and have a greater understanding of the world than those of us without faith what you are in fact doing is just talking twaddle.

Using lots of words and writing in a somewhat profound way with a self applied superiority does not make you right.

Using your self instigated superiority in an attempt to justify your own internal belief system is simply that.

Your just talking nonsense but thinking that it makes sense.

Quoting long dead books and having a self created sense of righteousness sounds like a lot of fun but to others it is just absurd.

It is your go now,

Quote something irrelevant and assume you are better than me then....

...is why Christians get frustrated with atheists. No objectivity, no respect, just "I'm the victim of your superiority complex."

I was really hoping we could at least explore the subject a little more, but I can see what you think of me.

This Is why I think I am the victim of some kind of prank in these kinds of discussions.

Judge this judge that...

Moral high ground, you will never understand why I will not understand you ect.....

Look at this from my point of view if you can lower yourself to such an ungodly and limited level. Talking to someone who honestly believes in the bible and the Christian faith is to me like trying to talk to someone who is really really high.

Yes I understand that you think and believe what you do but to a rational outsider it is just crazy?

The very fact that someone can base their life on a book written 500 years ago about someone who supposedly existed 2000 years ago in a civilisation that no longer exists is quite literally bizarre? Can you understand that from someone that does not have "blind faith?"

I also would have liked to discuss this but your over inflated sense of moral superiority based on the above premise makes this impossible.

You know what? I was just sharing my perspective. You asked, and I shared. I really never meant to come off as arrogant. If I did, I'm sorry.

But you really aren't making atheists look friendly right now either. I said nothing about either one of us being the "rational one". I'm not the one saying that I had to, "lower yourself to such an ungodly and limited level. Talking to someone who honestly believes in the bible and the Christian faith is to me like trying to talk to someone who is really really high."

I really get the impression that you hate me, because your attitude reeks of it.

I do not hate anyone, let alone someone I have never met.

I as you was simply expressing an opinion and intended no personal offence to you.

As I said I find it honestly baffling that anyone can believe in the bible as something that actual happened and tries to relate it to the modern world, again just my own personal opinion.

What really gets me(and why I may have come across a little harsh) is when someone quotes the bible in an attempt to explain something to someone who does not have faith.

It really comes across as smug although I am sure that is not the way that it is intended.

It appears to me like someone is saying "Here are some random quotes from an old book which I have interpreted to mean something yet you of inferior understand will not be able to understand"

Can you understand my opinion on this?

Again nothing personal to you or an attack on religion, just how I personally fel about it.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Well one example of when YOU were exploited by Christianity would have sufficed

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Atheist, why are you so offended at anothers display of faith?

I'm not.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Well one example of when YOU were exploited by Christianity would have sufficed

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

We aren't offended by displays of faith. We are offended by displays of religious bigotry, holier-than-thouness, and being told we are going to Hell because we don't believe religious fairytales.

Got it? Off you go then, poo-stirrer.

edit on 19/3/16 by Astyanax because: Because a poop is part of a ship.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   

History disagrees with you. It is well known that many(if not most) empires throughout history were theocracies and/or had state sanctioned religions.

Calling a cat "dog" doesn't make it so.

Actually no. Atheism requires NO faith at all. By its very definition, it is a lack of faith

You're thinking of agnosticism, atheism is the faith in the absence of the divine.
" I believe that the world came to be without a creator" is a belief.

And how in your estimation would one handle militant Christians? Maybe by "presenting accurate descriptions of religion"?

Yes, in my limited experience that is the best way to handle any kind of militants.

Oh really? Then why do Christians often refer to him as up? As in Mylon Lefevre's Christian song "Trains up in the sky" or "Crack the sky"? I personally think anyone who would say this isn't the brightest of their bunch, and not very discerning either. God and Jesus have often been referred to by Christians themselves as being up, and hell being down. The bible itself says to "look up, because your redemption draws near". It also says Jesus will come back the same way he left...which would be from the sky. So in effect, God/Jesus fits the stereotype.

Religious misconceptions do abound, and are no reflection of the actual religions being twisted.

To all who say " how come your own religion is the correct one?"

I answer this

All religions are ways to reach the divine, even those who claim there is no divine because that makes the self replace the divine.
The fact that people worship differently throughout the world isn't proof that religion is bunk, it's proof that we all feel something is "up".

One's religion doesn't have to be the closest to objectivity for it to be a guiding path towards understanding and answering the philosophical questions.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: wisvol

You're thinking of agnosticism, atheism is the faith in the absence of the divine. " I believe that the world came to be without a creator" is a belief.

Someone's been feeding you more misinformation....

Atheists have not accepted the claims made by theists for the existence of god type creatures, nothing more, nothing less.

At least read the OP ffs...

edit on 19-3-2016 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: wisvol

Atheism is actually a lack of belief either way.

Kind of means we're on the fence until it can be proven either way.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join