It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist, why are you so offended at anothers display of faith?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Recently I was in a discussion on another thread about Atheism. I learned exactly what they don't believe.

An Atheist has no faith in any god or gods.

So if a person has no faith why is it they are so offended at another display of their faith?

You would think that you have evolved into a logical state of mind that does not get offended at another's symbols of faith. If you have no faith in a god someones faith in a god should not offend you.

Why is it Atheists are always crying about people proselyting if in fact there is no god to be won too?

Is it not each persons personal right to have faith or not have faith?

And if a person wants to share their faith or show their faith why should it matter to those who have no faith seeing they are the higher thinker who knows there is no god to have faith in?

Could there be a deeper reason for this offence than just symbols or sharing of Faith that you are offended by?

Personally, I think that if a person has no faith they would and should not be offended by those who do or by their exercise thereof.

I mean after all you believe there is no god or gods to believe in so let them be ignorant and go about your business.

Why fight them about their show of faith?

JMHO

edit on 18-3-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   
For the same reason a feminist gets offended by a man holding open a door for her.
People don't always act logically.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

It's cognitive dissonance. Thats what happens when one or more emotional reactions eclipse logic and objectivity. The result is intolerance.

The bible calls the subconsciousness of the soul the mind (nous) and the consious part of the soul the heart (kardia). The emotions are called the kidneys (nephros). When the kidneys back up, it causes toxins to build up in the blood, which kills the heart.
edit on 18-3-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: added point

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

That same feminist would quickly take the seat on a busy train if offered by a man without even a peep.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

For me, I don't take offence to any religion or religious person. Each to their own.

What I do take offence to is when someone of any religion tries to poke holes in science as it doesn't fit with whatever book they read and god they believe in. And it's not even so much that. It's more the that they do it without anything to back them up. Like them saying it's not right will make it not right.

Now I know there a plenty of religious people out there who are also scientists or scientifically minded, so please don't think this is some out right attack on religion or religious people (please look at what I opened the post with).

ETA I also know science can change with new evidence (as it has over the years), but it involves evidence, not just someone saying it's not true.
edit on 1832016 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Whats a "display of Faith"?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
Recently I was in a discussion on another thread about Atheism. I learned exactly what they don't believe.

An Atheist has no faith in any god or gods.

So if a person has no faith why is it they are so offended at another display of their faith?

You would think that you have evolved into a logical state of mind that does not get offended at another's symbols of faith. If you have no faith in a god someone faith in a god should not offend you.

Why is it Atheist are always crying about people proselyting if in fact there is no god to be won too?

And if a person wants to share their faith or show their faith why should it matter to those who have no faith seeing they are the higher thinker who knows there is no god to have faith in?

Could there be a deeper reason for this offence than just symbols or sharing of Faith that you are offended by?

Personally, I think that if a person has no faith they would and should not be offended by those who do or by their exercise thereof.

I mean after all you believe there is no god or gods to believe in so let them be ignorant and go about your business.

JMHO

What a great thread for what is for me a Friday evening, thank you.

I often think I am an atheist but am starting to think that I am not although I do have issues with those of faith.

What I feel is a deep embarrassment and complete failure to comprehend how someone of seemingly high intelligence could believe something that is to me absolute nonsensical mumbo jumbo.

This is not intended to be insulting to those who have a religious belief but simply an honest answer.

I can become quite infuriated and almost start thinking that I am the brunt of a joke.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
As an outsider to the discussion...I find that religious people have closed minds.....
The ones I meet are one trick ponies......
They have no aspirations for mankind...just their own "salvation" (as if there was a magic guy in the sky.....taking personal interest in their welfare...?? duh )
Religion is a device used for control of free thought and the natural human condition...
It was ever thus....

The faithful I meet have stilted and limited ability to extrapolate, or dream/imagine...they lack the spark of originality I find in more secular beings....(when it comes right down to it every living human has their own PERSONAL "RELIGION" and that's the way it way itll always be)
History shows how the religions of the world are used to support the status quo and indeed have acted in concert with great evils...
many more times than not....

In fact the proliferation of so many and varied a selection of "faiths" pretty much relegates the subject of religion to a human psychological/psycho social phenomena....
The truth cannot come from so many layers of bull#...
edit on 18-3-2016 by bandersnatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohnI think your a bit mixed up. I know quite a few atheists and non of them are offended by anyones show of faith. But your not talking about show of faith are you? Your talking about atheists getting upset with people of any faith trying to push their faith on them.
I think you aught to redo your post to "why are more people of faith upset at other people with faith because it is not their faith". And believe me there are hundreds more of them than atheists.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Cheester, you took the words from my mind. Why do they get offended? Because even though they don't believe in God, they are formed as if in a church and proclaim subtle they aren't religious. But they are in secret.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   

So if a person has no faith why is it they are so offended at anothers display of their faith?

So if a person has faith why is it they are so offended at another display of their lack of faith?

Why is it Atheist are always crying about people proselyting if in fact there is no god to be won too?

Why is it Christians are always crying about anyone other than them proselyting if in fact they are so secure in their god?

Is it not each persons personal right to have faith or not to have faith?

And if a person wants to share their lack of faith or show their lack of faith why should it matter to those who have faith seeing they are the higher thinker who knows there is a god to have faith in?

Could there be a deeper reason for this offence than just no symbols or sharing of lack of Faith that you are offended by?

Personally, I think that if a person has faith they would and should not be offended by those who don't or by their exercise thereof.

I mean after all you believe there is a god or gods to believe in so let them be ignorant and go about your business.

Why fight them about their lack of faith?
JMHO

edit on 3/18/2016 by Klassified because: reword

edit on 3/18/2016 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

Thanks terrydon79, your input is insightful.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Who knows? Why are the faithful always crying about what atheists want and believe?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Atheist, why are you so offended at anothers display of faith?

Because it is used to justify atrocities.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
a reply to: TerryDon79

Thanks terrydon79, your input is insightful.

I'd just like to point out that what I posted is my opinion. I don't speak for every atheist out there.

I also know there are some atheists that literally go out of their way to demean anybody of any religion. Why? I have no idea as I find it pointless to do so as it is just a waste of time and they could be doing something more productive.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
"Proselytising" isn't a "display of Faith"...

By its very definition it is an attempted conversion.

I'm a staunch believer, it's the basis of a lot of my poetry...
But I hate proselytising.

It's unbecoming of anyone unless they're a Prophet.

It's not your calling in life to convert others, it's your calling in life to be an annoying douchebag.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

The Bolshevik revolution was an atheistic movement.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

look at the man who got upset and offended at a cross being built in Texas. He said he was an Atheist my wonder was why is he so offended at anothers show of faith?

Just because there is a giant cross he has to drive by offends this man. And he is offended that the city mayor and her staff joined in the ground breaking, not an endorsing but a show of their faith.

If you have no faith why take offense.

Yes I could understand anyone getting in you face forcing you to listen but that is not the case in the above instance.

and again if an Atheist is above that they should not even be offended they are the one of higher thinking and morals.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: luciferslight

But they are not as organized as we think. one one thing they really have in common. they have no faith/belief in a god or gods.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

You practice of Sophism is rather evading.

Interesting that you chose the words "LACK of faith". I don't think Atheist have a lack of faith that is not what they have.

What they say is they "have NO FAITH in a god or gods".
edit on 18-3-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join