It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you pay per-month for an Ad-Free ATS?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

You aren't "re-gifting" the fruitcake I sent you are ya?

On topic, my contributions are so bad ass I don't see ads, but I'm down for a paid subscription.

AugustusMasonicus said he'd pick up my tab...

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Hmmmm nm
edit on 1/3/16 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: JohnthePhilistine

How exactly would it open ATS to litigation?

You would be paying for an ad-free experience. Period. Perhaps it would add a few features...whether you think it's fair or not is a separate debate...but how would it open the site to litigation?

It's a privately owned/run forum which has privately decided rules that we agree to or else we leave (by volunteering or by force if you break them)

Paying money would not make you immune to rules unless there was a specific rule change based on paid subscription. If not, then your monthly add-free fee changes one single thing...whether or not you saw ads. The rules would still apply

SO - I'd go probably 5. I cannot stand ads and I totally get why you don't want us to use blockers...love the gifting idea

link   
a reply to: KawRider9

Considering you were the fruitcake, I guess that is a 'yes'.

link   

originally posted by: DeepCoverUK
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

You should bring back the ATS store

Yeah! I am ready to smash open my piggy bank now.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   
For me subscription service is a step too far.. I gave a donation when times were hard for both of us..

If the site goes down this route it will be the beginning of the end, certainly for me and probably the site.

I think even though many on here are pledging.. I doubt most will follow through.

And the poster that flagged up about mods on a paid forum..hmm it's all starting to get a bit messy.

It's your site SO.. but i think this would be a mistake!
edit on Tue, 01 Mar 2016 16:10:19 -0600104America/ChicagoTuesday4 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: scubagravy
# that, we've already donated money, and not to mention the aussie dollar..... god knows how the hell Australia only get 67 cents in the American inflated dollar.

You mean that donation that is 100% voluntary that Bill even said "Please do not donate if you can't or don't want to"?

I am also guessing the potential monthly ad-free experience would be voluntary just like YT Red is

So what's the problem again?

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
What is the threshold for posting to get no ads? That was my understanding that the more you post the less ads you get. I see agustus talking about flags, which I do lack of when it comes to my stats. I just like to comment, creating a thread isn't my forte.
I noticed that I get more than I used to, and it is a recent thing. I never went completely without but notices differences at silver and gold.
Maybe I there wasn't and I am just telling my self there was a difference, but if there has been a change it would be cool if it is going to a sub to bring that concept back?

Oh and y'all that are openly talking about ad blocking and how to get around the new restriction when it comes to that are taking an interesting route. If I was getting away with something I was suppose to be doing when I agreed to do not do it, I wouldn't dream of publicly addressing that, and to the site owner no less.
edit on stTue, 01 Mar 2016 16:14:41 -0600America/Chicago320164180 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Not in favour of this

Sorry bill but I would never pay a subscription nor would I appreciate being made to feel like a second class member?

Lots of other sites run just fine without charging members I know there may be some financial challenges but this is not to way, I think you would lose a lot of good members and traffic would slow.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   

I'd pay. I don't get ads even without ad blockers. I appreciate the content here.

Could paid members still be banned? And if so how egregious a sin would it take?

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I would worry a fair amount about people getting all manipulative with giving subscriptions. "I'll trade you x amount of months if you star and flag my threads and push my agenda." Just seems like it could potentially rob the site of more organic discussion.

I would maybe pay $5. Netflix is $7.99 and I just feel like the content here isn't worth paying that much for. It's fun to come in and discuss things, but I'd just find another site. The actual conspiracy forums here just don't hold interest to me anymore

ETA: I guess I blew through the OP a little too fast there, yeah if people want to spend $ instead of viewing ads let them.
edit on 0120160320161 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   
anything more than $5 seems excessive. I'd likely not pay more much than $2 and instead deal with the ads.

$5 per month or $30 per year would be how I would set it up.

If the ads get too annoying I'd leave. video ads I dislike especially for their bandwith usage.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
How would this work with banning members.

Let's face it am sure we all know of a few members who have been banned some might even say unfairly so.

Now let's say I subscribe at $10 and after a year I do something that leads to a ban, that's me out over a hundred dollars only to be banned because I say lost my head in a heated debate.

That alone represents a big problem

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I was actually wondering earlier if there would be a subscription service to browse ad-free, or even donate X amount of money as a bribe so you'd let me run my damned ad-blocker! Haha.

But yeah, I'm happy with a subscription service. Being Australian, I chose the $5 a month option... That'll end up being practically $10 for me anyhow. And it's not as though it's ~mandatory~, people could still view for free if they can put up with the ads.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

Mods would now have a financial incentive to drive off those people you (incorrectly, let's be honest, I bet none of them were actually bigots/racists/whatever) label as "bad", because the site wants to keep your subscription.

That's insulting as well as being inaccurate. I've often admired your posts for their insight, it's disappointing to see you make the suggestion. The mods are volunteers - no pay. What incentive would cause a volunteer to ban or 'drive off' someone who is within the T&Cs?

A whole dollar? A word from the boss? You seem to be characterising us as mindless drones. You're wrong.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I disagree. Maybe refund the month or whatever, but you're just paying for an ad free experience. You already got what you paid for by not be irritated by ads that entire time.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Where's the $0.00?

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   

I just don't know what to think......I just came back here after a few year hiatis....I noticed after you(?) Were on Ancient Aliens(?) The whole pop up ad thing got wayyy out of control. The Dodge ad that would take most of the screen, couldn't close it, then it would freeze my computer. So, I quit coming here.

The content has also went down hill. About 5 years ago, very good content, now, not so much.

You (?) Were also on another program on History, can't remember which one. When the guy with the pencil mustache, and the zoot suit was on what ever show, I thought hey! More people will join and with more ideas because of the show. Well, that was a big let down.

The premis that started this websight has been lost. Sadly.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Wow this is putting the present membership on the spot so to speak.
Or at least the way I feel ...

A subscription membership ... a two tier system ... gifting those chosen by the gifters

I can understand the reasons why some think this a good idea
But I respectfully dis agree

But a two tear system where benefits can be bought by those willing to pay does not sit well with me
I love the equality of ATS as it is now ... the Ads I can live with

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I disagree. Maybe refund the month or whatever, but you're just paying for an ad free experience. You already got what you paid for by not be irritated by ads that entire time.

Not really actually this leads to another point.

Am I the only one who thinks you would end up paying for a poorer service than we had say 2 years ago. No chat not ATS Live and the ever poorer quality of site content.

I would be seriously pissed if I spent over a hundred dollars over the year only to get banned because of a couple of stupid posts in a thread.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join