It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you pay per-month for an Ad-Free ATS?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

I enjoy the site, but to be honest I don't think I would buy a subscription. I understand it takes money and resources to keep the site up and running , hence I understand the need for ads.

I posted this in your other thread and would be curious if it would be a possible solution to minimize the annoyance of ads while still generating revenue for the site?

1. Why not create a [Click me to Support ATS for free] button.

2. User could have new ATS profile indicator that would be green,yellow,red to indicate when they need to hit the button.

3. Users would click the button before turning red and would reset it back to green after each click.

4. The button would bring up a page of ads , pop ups, or a content embedded with adds.

If its valid within the online ad world rules, I think that would be the best bet for everyone. You get the ad views and the users don't get disrupted or annoyed when reading content?

Also I currently don't get ads based on the ATS algorithm as it appears, However, I would be ok with getting ads in order to spread the ads across evenly and more tolerable for everyone.

edit on 29331America/ChicagoTue, 01 Mar 2016 17:29:51 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Dwoodward85

There already is a donate option at the too of every page.
I agree though that if this actually becomes real and ATS start charging, then they'll lose at least 70% of their members.
They need to do the math and work out if those who stay and those who pay, bring in more money that the full capacity site with adverts.

Does a small group of payers mean more than a whole site of free users who advertisers want to sell to?
Which brings the more $$$ because that's what matters here.

link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
We're looking at options for integrating a subscription service as part of ATS. The primary function would be for a completely ad-free and performance accelerated version of the site.

Below is a survey asking for your price point tolerance for a monthly subscription model. Keep in mind that if we can get into the zone of $5/month, it may make it worthwhile.

Also, not part of the survey, but just looking for your feedback. Would you want to be able to gift the ad-free subscription to other members?

Honestly nothing. Especially not for a forum made up of content contributed by members.

Paying a subscription to view content posted by people paying a subscription seems a little shady.

Would paid subscribers have access to quality, well written content done by paid writers? If not it hardly seems worth it to pay to read the latest rant about the devil, Donald trump or dem muslims written by a bunch of forum users usually with info sourced from free websites.

link   
Basicly what has been brought up here is bringing "Reddit gold" to Ats.

On that site it has not created a two tier system. Even the special forum is kinda treated as a joke.

And skeptic has said, if you like your ATS you can keep your ATS! (With Ads). For free like you have been. At least that's how I take it.

I would of course certainly hope that whether a member is paying for "gold", would not affect the moderation applied to that member, if so that would be a huge problem.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I pay 9.99 a month for Netflix as it is now..

Meh. what's another few bucks.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
If i might suggest something SO.

If you're going to end up keeping this site funded by ads, then go the distance, and make some money. I hate ads as much as anyone, but I'd rather see you put more ads in place, even for those of us who don't see hardly any right now, than to see this site go down the tubes. If you aren't paying the bills, and seeing some profit, then why waste your time? If the atrocious popups can be kept at bay, then we can surely live with some ads while we're logged in.

Check out tumblr's approach to ads in the recent. They've become a bit more aggressive, but it by no means ruins the experience at this point.

In other words, stop being such a damned sweetheart. Tend to your business. Someone is going to bitch WHATEVER you do. So do what you have to.

edit on 3/1/2016 by Klassified because: eta

edit on 3/1/2016 by Klassified because: re-worded for clarity

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
First, we get inundated with ads then websites begin charging us to remove those ads. I would stop using the internet first. It's all about how much money people can make off it. It's tiring really. So no, I would not pay to use the site.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: Klassified

If ATS are asking us the members for our cash then basically in my view I think we should have a full explanation of why ATS is having to charge. That's all.

Transparency

How much revenue does the site make

How much does it cost to run.

On the norm, I might agree with you, if we were investors, but other sites I have belonged to, and the one I belong to now, shares no such information. Why would ATS be any different? As long as you or I feel we are getting our money's worth, what they profit is none of my business. imho

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Nothing.

What little I have left at the end of the month goes to Charity.

I won't sacrifice them for a hit on the ATS syringe.

Take that as you will.

Edit: Okay, upon review, that seemed blunt and harsh but was actually a complement to ATS's addictive pull.

I guess I could stretch to $2 a month, that's about £15 a year...
Which I'd rather went to charity, but having used ATS everyday for 2 years, and for probably 8 hours a day given its easy access via mobile and my unlimited schedule, why not give back.
edit on 1-3-2016 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   
They could always just start an RV meth lab.

edit on 1-3-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   
my question is if a subcription fee is required for ad free browsing and special members only areas, will you pay the heavey content providers for their content??

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I love the idea, as others in this thread have suggested, of having an ATS store.

I would never pay for a subscription to ANY site.

However, I would most certainly buy ATS paraphernalia. I need a LARGE ATS coffee mug and hoodie!

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Id pay $5 per month for sure. Perhaps add an online store link on the top of the page for the merch too.
ATS beer steins and shot glasses should be a thing.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

$5/mth sounds good to me.

Personally, I have no dramas supporting ATS in this regard whenever I can, this place is important to me and is a part of my daily life.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

There is already ATS merchandise available.
Not sure of the link, maybe an admin or mod could link for you.

Which does beg the question ... Why is it not being promoted ?
Especially if funds are an issue.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
Since I do not presently get ads I would be willing to gift a one year subscription. Could it go to a member of my choosing?

It's been a good while ago but, while searching for the guidelines on something unrelated, I came across the agreement to turn of ad-blockers while on ATS. (May be in T&C but I'm not sure) I'd never seen ads because I just leave the blocker on by default (I use Firefox). Since then I've had it disabled here. The only adjustment I had to make was keeping track of where my cursor was from one screen to the other.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64
I love the idea, as others in this thread have suggested, of having an ATS store.

I would never pay for a subscription to ANY site.

However, I would most certainly buy ATS paraphernalia. I need a LARGE ATS coffee mug and hoodie!

I've read on here somewhere that they barely break even on the merchandise, I would guess it's been geared mostly as an advertisement.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I would pay 0.

And while I'm aware that this survay is in response to a sugestion, I need you to keep this one word in mind:

FORBES

Paywall then message to remove adblock... Ring any bells?

It's been said but I agree.. Users create your content.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   
NO!

I would not pay anything.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
I would pay 0.

And while I'm aware that this survay is in response to a sugestion, I need you to keep this one word in mind:

FORBES

Paywall then message to remove adblock... Ring any bells?

It's been said but I agree.. Users create your content.

I would second this, but add that Skeptic does contribute as well. I must give respect to him for contributing and participating as a member on his site. Not every site owner does that, and I would go out on a limb to say few do.

So for that, I thank you SkepticOverlord. What ever becomes of this I for one have noticed the work and passion you have been putting into this site, and wish you well.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join