It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI May Have Detected Intelligent Radio Signal from Strange Dimming Star!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: asen_y2k

It's potentially exciting but no Champagne corks yet , there are many things that could account for the signal.
Also if the signal is from an intelligent civ it seems strange they would have tech to place a Dyson swarm and still be using radio to communicate.

I hope it turns out to be ET but suspect it will be another interesting natural phenomenon , time will tell.

Jadestar has a nice thread about SETI here:
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1063819/pg1

Unfortunately most people do not know that plenty of our technology today STILL uses radio, not just for communication either. Many of the same people also assume Radio SETI is looking for some form of communication when in reality all Radio SETI is looking to detect initially is a narrowband signal less than 1Hz wide. Such signals are not produced by nature but plenty of our technology produces them.

In fact Earth's most powerful radio signals are not for communication at all. They're not beaming entertainment and information in audio or video form (in the case of Broadcast TV).

Nope, our most powerful radio transmitter is the Arecibo Planetary Radar in Puerto Rico which is used to take radar images of near earth asteroids, especially ones which make close approaches.

The only question is will a more advanced civilization still be using radio to image objects in the "cold darkness of space"?

Still it's posible advanced civiilzations might use a form of signaling we will not detect. Just as our current radio signals would be silent to people 1500 years ago--being they didn't have radio receivers. But Jadestar's thread makes clear there're lots of "signals" an advanced civilization will emit and we should be able to detect them, though we've got a long ways to go to catch everything. People 1500 years ago would be able to see our airplanes and our bright city lights in the cloud layer just as well as we do.

Oh and on thie topic of this thread I would not trust this source until we hear more from other places. Bad sources are common. There's a lot of hype around this star, a lot of it unwarranted at this time.

Jadestar also supplied this picture of different SETI programs to detect intelligent civilizations elsewhere:
files.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 10/24/2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Why is there a third thread on this topic? One for the initial set of papers-- one for SETI beginning to monitor the star-- and the third, which is is discussing the SETI discovered signal; which does not appear to be based in any fact.
edit on 24-10-2015 by slip2break because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: slip2break
Why is there a third thread on this topic? One for the initial set of papers-- one for SETI beginning to monitor the star-- and the third, which is is discussing the SETI discovered signal; which does not appear to be based in any fact.

It is due to members wanting to collect brownie points (stars and flags)

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Not only that, but it also gives us time to achieve the technology needed to defend ourself from this. Only for those who think that they didn't control intergalactic travel that is..

Another thing, it seems to be a binary star system . Something I thought about before , why use your primary star to put a dyson sphere around?
edit on 0b39America/ChicagoSat, 24 Oct 2015 16:24:39 -0500vAmerica/ChicagoSat, 24 Oct 2015 16:24:39 -05001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   
maybe they don`t use radio waves anymore but you have to remember that the radio waves we are receiving now were sent 1,500 years ago. so if they were using radio waves 1,500 years ago maybe they aren`t so much more advanced than we are? maybe they are only 500-1,000 years more advanced.
This thing that we have discovered might be a work in progress, something that isn`t complete yet that they are still working on.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
so the radio signal is a hoax? damn i was getting my expectations so high. I'm 39 and i wish i could see mankind meeting intelligent life outside this rock (even a microbe or primitive organism would be great as an alternative to EBE's), but i guess it's not something that will happen in my generation. All i see is misleading titles and hoaxes, nothing tangible. ATS is becoming full of threads with misleading titles and info, didnt use to be like this and it saddens me.
edit on -05:00342015-10-24T16:34:10-05:002015SaturdaySaturday201530 by Picollo30 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

maybe they don`t use radio waves anymore but you have to remember that the radio waves we are receiving now were sent 1,500 years ago.
What radio waves are we receiving?

SETI has yet to announce what it has found in its early analysis of KIC 8462852, but the exploration is ongoing. After this initial data is analyzed, the team is preparing to observe KIC 8462852 using special Antonio feed receivers, which are now being added to the Allen Array. This new hardware will increase the sensitivity of the array by a factor of two, upping the odds that SETI could detect an alien signal if there was one being transmitted.

www.digitaltrends.com...

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

So you post a false article and back it up with the correction that they have not found or heard anything and you say this is exciting? Really?

Boy are you going to be sad when you learn E.T. does not exist.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

I think that an alien advanced civilization like this should at least have some kind of entangled electron communication highly encrypted that is..

We only would see static never been able to decrypt this.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Patriotsrevenge

seems to be a recent trend to create threads with false info and misleading/ exagerating titles. IMHO is just to get attention or even make fun of those who still believe. Really sucks and i only wish ATS mods start taking this into attention.Another example was the thread of the "zombies biting passengers" in the flight Portugal-Ireland.

Stopped being a quest for Truth to be a quest for stars and flags.
edit on -05:00532015-10-24T16:53:22-05:002015SaturdaySaturday201530 by Picollo30 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
If the dimming of the star is happening at random intervals how does this make the dyson theory any more plausible? As such a structure would still be orbiting the sun.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Its the scientists who are in the project who gave out the information that a somewhat intelligent signal has been detected.

No. No such information was provided.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
i wonder why this thread is not in the hoax bin already.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Sorry for asking, what did they say?

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Hyperia

"GreWi: Dear Mr. Harp, created by the compilation under another quote from fragments using the "UniverseToday.com" article easily the impression that SETI has received a "weird periodic signal" from the direction of KIC 8462852, which is not is the Kepler light curve. is that correct?

01471Dr. Gerald Harp
Copyright: seti.org

Harp: No! With the "odd periodic signal" as the article's author, Bob King, I quoted, I refer to the Kepler light curve. We (SETI) have ever made ​​any public statement on the matter and to our results. And that's what they are allowed to understand so that we are considering this whole situation not overly excited.

www.grenzwissenschaft-aktuell.de
+ HERE You can daily GreWi-Newsletter +

GreWi: What is it then with that described in the Universe Today article journal article on to prepare you and colleagues?

Harp: SETI is preparing a technical article before our observations. That's all. Even if one does not find anything, it is important to prepare a paper from which then shows what has been done so that other scientists do not need to reiterate these processes.

GreWi: Measured by Kepler light curve is their opinion then so natural Urpsrungs?

Harp:.
Yes, probably from a light curve we can not draw any conclusions on whether there is intelligent life around a star or not.

I have yet a small spark of hope that our observations to KIC 8462852 still evidence of a (local) result extraterrestrial intelligence. However, I expect more, we will not find anything.

GreWi: Mr. Harp, best Danks for your information. "

no radio signal, no leaked info, it's all bull#

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Picollo30

The ET theory is also BS, the star dips very low? And energy output very high?

Sry im kinda retarded when reading these stuff

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Hyperia
It's a hypothesis, nothing more. And a fun one, nothing more. As yet.

Since nothing like this has ever been observed it's an open field.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I hope this doesn't get buried by the man when the data is done being reviewed. I'm looking forward to seeing what they found.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

And, if SETI says they have found nothing, will that satisfy you?

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Black_Fox

Nice thanks - "Make me a liar, Fish."

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join