It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI May Have Detected Intelligent Radio Signal from Strange Dimming Star!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
In other news , Bad news for KIC 8462852

A planet full of self centered war faring religious lunatics discovers KIC 8462852 and hopes to make contact in the future.

Best to ignore the bald monkeys of planet earth.

Activate the cloaking device !

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: 0bserver1

The point is to receive an intelligent signal, it doesn't need to be decrypted.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake
Not if other equal civilizations weren't listening.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I find the entire subject fascinating. It has occurred to me that an advanced alien civilization might require subordinate civilizations below them to be aware of their existence before any contact is initiated. It would make sense if sentient life in our galaxy thinks along common lines but this is not a given. Here's to hoping it's what we think it is and they're a peaceful bunch. My best,

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Sending out radio signals to that star is like the ancient native Americans sending out smoke signals to modern day New York ...

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
It's all happening very fast! We live in exciting times people!

Keeping on top of this. Thanks for posting.

I do wonder if they are easing us (or the rest of "them" that are scared) for disclosure.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: boredsilly
Sending out radio signals to that star is like the ancient native Americans sending out smoke signals to modern day New York ...

We would still receive the signal clearly wont we.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

In GreWi interview astronomer corrects the statements of the Universe Today article now and notes that SETI had yet to receive any signals from KIC 8,462,852

>read

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I know it hasn't been very long since the OP posted, but has there been any update on anything yet?

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: asen_y2k

Oh my....

How likely is it that you would take that "signal"
as an attempt of communication....

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Nothing new since the start of this thread

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   
The goal to determine our "company" in the universe is edging ever closer. Are we ready? I believe humanity as a whole is educated enough in this topic.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

3 tits.....awesome

Exciting times, great find.

I'm glad someone else thought of this same quote.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147
I know it hasn't been very long since the OP posted, but has there been any update on anything yet?

My earlier post: www.abovetopsecret.com...

The claim that any signal at all has been received/found was refuted. Any data collected so far only has to do with the light curve and attempting to ascertain whether debris or another explanation may account for the dimming.

This does not mean one might not be found in the future, or that they have determined whether said debris hypothesis is sufficient to account for the dimming yet either, to be clear.

If that hypothesis gets ruled in, then that's essentially all she wrote. Even if it gets ruled out though, then they still have to brainstorm and see if they can hypothesize anything else that might account for it... which could take years potentially. (At one time we didn't know what Pulsars were, and thought they were indicative of intelligent signals potentially.)

This may take a while, and not provide the immediate satiation most people seem to want from this important and exciting issue.

Peace.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: AceWombat04

That's unfortunate. Well, I'm still hoping we find a civilized race out of it. Doubtful, but hoping

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: TheInhumanCentipede

sure I'll read your text but after googling your text I just want to punch you...
link others to things not said by you

b

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Has anyone considered that the dyson panels could have been put in place by a prior generation that died in war or by comet/meteor strike? You really can't assume that evidence of advanced technology indicates that the creators still exist.

Additionally, who is to say that radio communication is not one of the best forms of communication? Sure, we hypothesize that more advanced methods could exist, but that doesn't mean they do or that an alien species ever utilized them.

And perhaps a dying civilization left a beacon that they wanted to be detected.

Any of those things is as likely as it is that an advanced civilization discovered communication means that we haven't.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

That's unfortunate. Well, I'm still hoping we find a civilized race out of it. Doubtful, but hoping

Imho, it's neither fortunate nor unfortunate... yet. Nothing has really changed. We're still where we were when KIC 8462852 was first reported as being of interest to SETI and others. Even in the total absence of any intelligent-seeming signals, the dimming is still interesting and exciting until/unless explained away, which it hasn't been yet.

It just feels like a let down because people hastily and erroneously reported this "signal" being detected, but in actuality nothing has changed from what we already knew... yet.
So don't be pessimistic quite yet. Skeptical, yes, but there's still hope.

Peace.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Totally on board with how you laid that out. That being said, my gut feeling here is that once they lay out the comet cloud theory in terms of what it actually would have to look like in order to fit the data, they will find it to be untenable. Just how wide and massive would the cloud have to be? Why would this system have that much rocky/ice material; and even if that were possible, why would all of that material be in the same place at the same time?

There probably will be further natural theories that we will stumble upon to explain this. But I highly doubt the current explanation will pan out... Upon hearing that the comet cloud was the best fit solution, it dawned on me that we are very limited in our understanding of all the possibilities out there. I lean far toward a naturally occurring explanation, but I don't see how we'll solve this one any time soon.
edit on 25-10-2015 by slip2break because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: slip2break

That could very well be the case. Just because we can't conceive of a natural cause, doesn't mean there isn't one. (As was the case before we understood pulsars for instance.) I too expect, most likely, to discover a natural explanation. However, if we do rule out everything we can think of, while it doesn't mean it has to be artificial in nature, it certainly will be a tantalizing possibility and worth exploring further... if we can.

Peace.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join