It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI May Have Detected Intelligent Radio Signal from Strange Dimming Star!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
This is still the closest we've ever gotten, right? Which is pretty cool!! And it's far from over.

On a side note; If I've learned ANYTHING from the internet, it's that it won't matter WHAT the aliens look like.

Some people will find them to be very hot.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
wouldnt this be all over the news if it were true?

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
# Now this is not publically confirmed yet ...

# An astrophysicist friend who alledgedly works for an

observatory that reports to NASA ...

# This is something to follow in case it does turn into

something ....

# Apparently various countries are now onto it and its creating

quite a buzz...

# Radio telescopes all over the world are all locking onto

mysterious signals RIGHT NOW in an unusual part of the radio

spectrum and have found a signal code ...

# The finding is not official yet .... its being analysed

right NOW!...

Anything about that ^^^^^ sound familiar?

www.abovetopsecret.com... 256 pages!!

edit on 24-10-2015 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Sigh. i was getting really excited for a while now -- and now i feel like a deflated balloon.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I could pretty quick find a hundred people that believe the moon landings were faked and star wars is real…

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptrq

Don't tell me Star wars ain't real ?

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

But I swear I can influence the weak minded. The Force is strong with my family!

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

I could pretty quick find a hundred people that believe the moon landings were faked and star wars is real…

All members of this forum.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: noonebutme
Sigh. i was getting really excited for a while now -- and now i feel like a deflated balloon.

That's perfectly normal.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Im surprised that no one has made the connection with Peter Hamilton's fantastic novel,
Pandoras Star,

The Saga begins in 2380, the human race has had wormhole technology for over 300 years thanks to the work of Nigel Sheldon and Ozzie Isaacs, and has colonised several hundred planets across hundreds of light years. On a distant planet, Astronomer Dudley Bose performs the first detailed observations of an astronomical event known as the Dyson Pair Enclosure. Two stars, located roughly 1,000 light years from Earth (750 light years from the edge of Commonwealth space), seemingly disappeared some time earlier. The theory is that they have been enclosed inside Dyson spheres.

Bose's investigations reveal that the enclosing of Dyson Alpha and Dyson Beta (as the stars become known) occurred quickly and simultaneously. These facts mean that the technology of the Dyson aliens, or possibly other unknown aliens, surpasses that of the Commonwealth; furthermore, did the Dyson Aliens enclose themselves, or did some other force enclose them? Was it for protection or to protect those outside the spheres?

To investigate, the Commonwealth builds its first interstellar ship, the Second Chance. Commanded by Wilson Kime, one of the first men to walk on Mars, using a self-enclosed 'flowing' wormhole for propulsion, the Second Chance travels to Dyson Alpha.

en.wikipedia.org...

Peter Hamilton

If any is into sci fi this set of novels is a must read,
Hamilton's vision of the future is already staring to take shape.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

These news about a possible Dysonsphere have made me lost for words.. just waiting and crossing fingers

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: asen_y2k

i just hope were not seeing a shadow of once was

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

And what about our gays? Nah, i think i prefer an open for experiments mostly straight society with at least three genders and five different sexual orientations. As long as they're hot, we'll get along.💋💖👅

NO!

I also hope they are not Fanatically Religious!

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
I don't know why, but I get this strange feeling that we are going to discover we are not alone in the Universe, thanks in large part to SETI and my new best friend - KIC 8462852.

Cheers for the very exciting update, even if it turns out to be a false alarm, it still has me totally intrigued because IF an announcement is made verifying intelligence of some description has been detected then the history books will record this moment in time as a monumental turning point in the quest we have all been on.

Super-excited.

I get the same feeling as well. Especially after reading up on all I could about this strange discovery. The thing that gets me is that this star is much bigger than our sun, yet something is blocking ~ 20% of its light coming to us in a periodic fashion. Meaning there is ordered structure related to whatever is surrounding this star.
If it was collision debri, it would have created an accretion disk around the sun and not block out so much of the light.
Another question is how did SETI already conclude its observations of this star so soon? I thought it would take much more research time.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I really hope this anticipation can finally end, and we at last can confirm, with total verification, that we are not alone.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
With all the bad going on in the world, this is one of the few stories worth following,IMO.
Would be fantastic if life can imitate art.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Suppose you read an article I wrote in which I quote some unknown source that says that CERN just discovered a parallel universe, in which humanoid beings live, who are responsible for many so-called "abductions". The source mentions Giovanni Anelli, the group leader of their knowledge transfer group, who supposedly has said this. After publishing this, I get second thoughts and I give mr Anelli a call. He burst out in laughter and says "if only! That would be the day - but alas, no, I never said something like that. We haven't discovered a parallel universe yet.". So, say I decently publish this - does that mean:

a) Anelli was lying
b) Anelli was forced by somebody to shut up
c) Anelli never said this in the first place

You will never know. But if the original source cannot be found and the quoted source says it's not so and there is no factual proof of Anelli saying this at all - no recordings or witnesses - well, than I'd go for c.

You, of course, would choose anything BUT c.

It's up to you. My logic says "hoax bin".

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Everlastingknowitall

I somewhat agree with this.

Another intelligent species may have a totally different tech tree. Imagine if their society was structured different, such that they selectively bred themselves and had some kind of caste system in specialization. They might not have developed stuff like computers in the way we have, but rather have large groups working in their science caste to do complex calculations on a comparable scale. Something like that could imply that megastructures and the such could still be achieved with relatively primitive electronics compared to ours. We were doing rockets in the 1930's, and weren't much past vacuum tube tech at that stage. If everyone was on the same page and pushing outwards to the Moon and Mars instead of having WWII, imagine the kind of colonies that would have been built in 100 years or 1000 years, etc.

If their government happened to become homogenized and solidified at a global level during their equivalent to the bronze age, they may never have developed much in the way of military tech. Imagine if they pushed into space, when the most heavy-handed thing they may do is a bit of policing. No outright percieved need for machine guns, tanks, fighter aircraft, nukes, any of that.

Still compared to what they're doing (if indeed they're out there, they're building huge things around a star), we're like ants on the scale of things. However we might be "fire ants", and you'd be stupid to go poking into a nest full of 'em. We're a kind of species that takes risks, functions at an individual level, and still has some inherent level of aggression, anyone smart enough would give us room and take a bit of caution in dealing with us.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
This would actually be the best way to discover alien life. I's far, far away and poses no threat to us. We're made aware of them, they may not be aware of us. It wouldn't cause panic and fear of an impending invasion...

Maybe that's the plan? Maybe they wanted to go with microbial life but decided to nudge us into this plan. Perhaps a subtle hint in an email of memo of where to look, or a well-place scientist on a research team just "happened" to point their scopes there in the first place.

A lot of our advanced technology is hand-me-down from advanced government programs...

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: asen_y2k

"We either caught something shortly after an event like two planets crashing together or alien intelligence," said Dr. Gerald Harp, senior scientist at the SETI Institute in Mountain View, California, referring to the baffling light variations seen in the Kepler star KIC 8462852.

Read more at: phys.org...

edit on 24-10-2015 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join