It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arctic Death Spiral and the Methane Time Bomb

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 05:18 AM
link   
hockeyschtick.blogspot.com...
This is from a secure pay sight:

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

New paper finds 'robust' relationship between cosmic rays and global temperature, corroborates Svensmark's solar-cosmic ray theory of climate

A reply paper published today in PNAS "identifies a causal relationship between cosmic rays (CRs) and interannual variation in global temperature (ΔGT)." The authors find a "robust" cosmic ray-global temperature relationship, as demonstrated in Fig. 1 below, and thus provide further corroboration of the solar/cosmic ray theory of climate of Svensmark et al.

However this is is the free sight linked above explaining the results.

The biggest milestone in last month's publication may be not the content but the source, which will be a lot harder to ignore than Mr. Svensmark and his small Danish institute.

Any regrets, now that CERN's particle accelerator is spinning without him? "No. It's been both a blessing and the opposite," says Mr. Svensmark. "I had this field more or less to myself for years—that would never have happened in other areas of science, such as particle physics. But this has been something that most climate scientists would not be associated with. I remember another researcher saying to me years ago that the only thing he could say about cosmic rays and climate was it was a really bad career move."

On that point, Mr. Kirkby—whose organization is controlled by not one but 20 governments—really does not want to discuss politics at all: "I'm an experimental particle physicist, okay? That somehow nature may have decided to connect the high-energy physics of the cosmos with the earth's atmosphere—that's what nature may have done, not what I've done."

Last month's findings don't herald the end of a debate, but the resumption of one. That is, if the politicians purporting to legislate based on science will allow it.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: MamaJ

We are doomed if this issue doesn't stabilize.

World runs on greed, not truth, and you'd be wise to remember that, whenever someone pushes your fear button.

If the Arctic cannot survive todays global temperatures then how did it survive much higher global temperatures in our recent past. Perhaps it didn't and it melted away. Who knows, but it wasn't the end of the world 5000 years ago, nor is it the end of the world tomorrow. The only constant in nature is change.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   
yesterdays inbox update from climate depot has this little titbit, NOAA states sea level rise to be between 1.7 and 1.8 millimetres per year, at 2 millimetres per year that's one foot in 150 years? is that right? just over 300 millimetres per foot, by the way.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: glend

but it wasn't the end of the world 5000 years ago, nor is it the end of the world tomorrow

In this thread I have stated I don't think it's the end of the world. I cannot predict such nor can you.

Just because I think there is a serious concern over the ice melting and the displacement of people as well as other species doesn't mean I think the world is going to end.

"Doomed" shouldn't be assumed as the same as the end of the world.

As far as the Arctic not surviving... well let's just say Greenland may end up being green once again.

I appreciate your contribution.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Solar weather may indeed play a huge part in our weather. There is no denying it for me and most people who have researched this matter. I have read over the years many factors from space that can be attributed to our weather and climate.

Unfortunately the cause is still being debated and as they try to prove one or more factors as the root cause we are losing time.

Money talks.... facts don't.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: pikestaff
yesterdays inbox update from climate depot has this little titbit, NOAA states sea level rise to be between 1.7 and 1.8 millimetres per year, at 2 millimetres per year that's one foot in 150 years? is that right? just over 300 millimetres per foot, by the way.

After reading so many different scenarios I believe the ones saying they have no clue the rate at which it will rise is more of the truth than anything I have read thus far.

They can TRY to guess based off computer models however the same computer models are not perfect and they are wrong time after time so it's not something to rely on. Not even a computer can predict the future. I believe it is because scenarios can be changed and altered by each choice we make. It's a gamble.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: ParasuvO
a reply to: Phage

So we need to prove that we ARE the cause of the warming before we can try things out ??

I think it would be more fun to play with it if we are NOT the cause.

I wish indeed the oceans would actually noticeable rise where I live, cant see any rise yet, been waiting for 20 years now.

Cmon OCEAN, rise already so we can DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!

Increase the number of PIRATES, that'd take care of global warming.

edit on 31-8-2015 by yosako because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Let technology do its thing..www.spacedaily.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Jeez.

Six minutes into this video and nothing about the Arctic Death Spiral and the Methane Time Bomb yet.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: MamaJ

quick tax everyone before we all die...

Jaden

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Masterjaden

Economies depend on the melting... this is for sure.

"The Arctic's incredibly important to Russia," said former State Department official Heather Conley, who is currently with the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington. She highlighted how Russia is basing the future development of its economy on the Arctic.
www.techtimes.com...

Along with Russia and the U.S., Canada and Norway are also preparing for future defense against territorial claims.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Try a ciggy around this eruption of proven Methane

They evacuated people for up to ten miles around and what the video shows is just a small pond.
So yes the potential is the there for major explosions in my opinion only.
Oh yes there will be explosions and then some.
Regards, Iwinder
edit on 31-8-2015 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 01:36 AM
link   
im gonna start mining that methane then lobby to have cars built that run on methane. sure a couple more people will die every year in auto explosions but well save the world by mining and driving cars and burning fossil fuels... solved.. what else is going on...

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I have watched the entire video and it would appear to make sober reading....

I just think of this image below and realise that as a species 'it's just a matter of time' before we realise it's TOO late...

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Geez what a weird thread.

OP insists that the Climate change is not man made, but that we should put all our resources together of think of a solution, how? Getting together and singing John Lennon songs?

Because after all, there is time being wasted on finding the cause of the problem, when we should be solving it before we die!

If that is the case, to find a solution without knowing the problem (and deying man made global emmisions, because of "them")... then you might as well sing me a Lennon song or two.
edit on 1-9-2015 by kykweer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: kykweer

Seems to me if that is all you got out of the thread after all that has been posted stating the reason why cause is a distraction as well as stating why the labeling is also a distraction then.... you missed the boat

******throws a life jacket to you as you swim off

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: PurpleDog UK

Exactly .... whether or not we can agree on what causes climate change ( there are many) and which label to use we can agree it is happening.

ANY MEASURES we can take to provide a future for our species should be happening NOW.

Greedy Politics has sucked the life out of the world. Literally ... and continues to suck the life right out of the Earth.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: tonycodes

Yeah right! Back at ya!

Methane is highly combustible – its release can have serious implications for the safety of mine operations. It is also a potent greenhouse gas (GHG) – 23 times more harmful than carbon dioxide (CO2).
Tackling methane emissions is therefore an important step in meeting the challenge of climate change and in ensuring the safety of mining operations. Methane can also act as a valuable source of energy- it is the principal constituent of natural gas - allowing countries to further diversify their energy supplies.
www.worldcoal.org...

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: MamaJ
a reply to: PurpleDog UK

Exactly .... whether or not we can agree on what causes climate change ( there are many) and which label to use we can agree it is happening.

ANY MEASURES we can take to provide a future for our species should be happening NOW.

Greedy Politics has sucked the life out of the world. Literally ... and continues to suck the life right out of the Earth.

There are many possible factors, one of which is the rapid impact of man made climate change, the measures I would propose is to limit our carbon output and eventually eliminate factors to find the ultimate solution... that is what I would hope for if it was not for "greedy politics", because THAT is the one thing we can change.

Where would you propose we start?
edit on 1-9-2015 by kykweer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: kykweer

The root of this problem imo is...

that is what I would hope for if it was not for "greedy politics".

We would have to begin here I would guess but how is beyond me. If we put our minds together though surely we can come up with something. How do you abate greed?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join