It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arctic Death Spiral and the Methane Time Bomb

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Hey ATS!

I had to bring this to you guys in order to get opinions regarding our upcoming extinction.

Yep... we are going to be extinct if we don't act quickly. Don't believe me? Disagree? That is ok.. please tell me why you disagree and maybe it will change my mind. I welcome a different mindset on this matter but it will require proof.

But first, watch the video... When you are done watching the video let me know if you agree with the OP. Otherwise we aren't beginnging on the same page. We need to for arguements sake.

There is a lot of hype about different doom and gloom scenarios circling around the internet including ATS. This video was published on September 23, 2014.

Some of us like the doom and gloom because it gives us hope for great change. Change from the day to day robotic civilization we find ourselves intertwined in like a bug in a web.

Trapped with no way out. So we travel down the rabbit hole from time to time and from issue to issue feeling helpless as well as hopeless to a situation we are so deep in yet we don't want to give up the pleasures of modern day either. It's twisted in a way.

We wait for a Savior or aliens to save us. We want a more free life where we can be a part of a society that is more like a human instead of a robot. We aren't electronically wired. We need to act like it.

STOP! The madness.

I think we can do anything as a collective. When we come together we make huge changes in our reality.

The video below is where the title of the thread came from. "Arctic Death Spiral and the Methane Time Bomb"

The title speaks for itself. I urge all to watch it til the end. We need this to go viral so we can all stop the madness and do something before we become extinct.

Or... we don't do anything about it and let the population die out and the ones who remain begin again... start all over.

Our oceans are dying and need the fresh water so the melting of the Arctic is probably a good thing for the Earth, but not for us.

We seriously need to wake up and rally together to change this world into a place where our kids and future generations can survive.

We need to act NOW! Watch the video and you will understand the urgency.

This is what happens when man thinks he can exploit and suck Mother Earth dry or her resources. We have to protect her from the ones exploiting her.... enough is enough.

After watching the video I recalled Edgar Cayce prophecy regarding the arctic.

There will be upheavals in the Arctic and in the Antarctic that will make for the eruption of volcanoes in the torrid areas, and there will then be the shifting of the poles so that where there have been those of a frigid or semi-tropical will become the more tropical, and moss and fern will grow.

The earth will be broken up in many places. The early part will see a change in the physical aspect of the west coast of America. There will be open waters appear in the northern portions of Greenland.

There will be new lands seen off the Caribbean Sea, and dry land will appear. South America will be shaken from the uppermost portion to the end, and in the Antarctic off Tierra Del Fuego, land and a strait with rushing water.
www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

I don't think anything is set in stone. This may be a real prophecy however we may can alter it by standing up and making it a reality. Its all about choice and free will, right? Well... either way.

Tell me your thoughts!

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 04:17 AM
link   
a reply to: MamaJ

After watching the video I recalled Edgar Cayce prophecy regarding the arctic.

I recall that he predicted that Atlantis would rise from the sea in the 1960's.
Did it?

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 04:20 AM
link   

In the beginning, there were problems and then there were words, the first Two words, human ingenuity, next word, Ebola, last word, vaccine.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Like the OP states, prophecy isn't set in stone. WE HAVE A CHOICE.

Do you choose to sit on your hands and do nothing? I think that is what you asked me in an earlier thread if I recall.

Have you watched the video?

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 04:27 AM
link   

I think that is what you asked me in an earlier thread if I recall.
As I recall, I provided an answer.

Have you watched the video?

No.
And I'm willing to bet that you haven't either. But I'm familiar with the scenario.

edit on 8/30/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 04:30 AM
link   

The OP was simple. Yet... you are defiant I guess?

I figured you were putting the cart before the horse.

Slow down....

WATCH IT and then comment please. We will see who watched it and we will see who understands the implications.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 04:38 AM
link   
It would be nice if you told us what the video is about.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 04:42 AM
link   
A link to a PDF By David Wasdell.... www.apollo-gaia.org...

It's called "The Apollo-Gaia Project" and is co-ordinated by David Wasdell as part of the Meridian Programme.

And below is the contents.

1: “Global Warning” and its Aftermath
2: “The Feedback Crisis in Climate Change”
3: The Club of Rome
4: The European Environment Agency and Beyond
5: EU Commission Workshop: Sustainability and the Science of
Complexity
6: Seminar in PIK Potsdam, 8th – 10th August 2006
7: From “Manhattan” to “Apollo-Gaia”
8: From Washington to Brussels
9: Convergent Ideas in Parallel Worlds
10: Evolution of Project Design
11: Towards the Next Generation of Integrated Assessment Modelling

The beginning page says enough to make the alarms sound.

1: “Global Warning” and its Aftermath
In the early months of 2005, several scientists in the field of Climate Change and Footprint
Overshoot were beginning to assert that political decision-making and effective action were
not responding rationally to clearly presented scientific material. While some of the
resistance and inertia could doubtless be attributed to the influence of vested interests and the
political fear of losing electoral support, the intensity of the dynamics of denial pointed to
powerful underlying social processes that were largely unconscious.
Drawing on three decades of consultancy-research focussed on the psychodynamics of social
systems facing rapid change in conditions of low resource and high stress, I began to explore
how best to consult to the process. A three-part paper entitled “Global Warning”, was
prepared in order to begin to raise awareness of this agenda of social psychology. The
document identified not one, but three, threatening waves of change currently facing
humanity, namely:
• Climate change
• Footprint overshoot (limits to growth)
• Psychodynamic response
Even at that early stage of analysis it is fascinating to note that I was driven to conclude:
There is a critical point in the system at which the feed-back loops become dominant and
render further increase in temperature independent of any reduction in human-generated
greenhouse gases. It is essential that this threshold should not be crossed. As feed-back
systems are activated even below the critical threshold, it becomes rapidly more difficult, and
massively more costly, to bring the system back under control.
Time-lag between increased levels of atmospheric carbon-dioxide and the consequent
stabilisation of appropriate global temperature, means that further global warming is already
activated. Rapid transition towards a low- or zero-carbon-emission culture is, therefore,
now imperative. That may not, however, be enough to halt the feed-back systems already
triggered. It is doubtful if effective programmes of carbon-dioxide sequestration can be put in
place and we may have to face the consequences of uncontrollable climate change.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I can answer this:

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 04:44 AM
link   
First dibs on the thread title for the name of a band!

Not sure which genre though.

Death Metal or some sort of Psychadelic Pop?

However.......on topic.......the general gist of the OP has an element of plausibility to it the detail is more than likely way off. No matter how clever we think we are we not very good at all at predicting future earth events. My guess is we never will be. It's like the Chaos Theory and The Butterfly Effect at work and it's far too complex and unpredictable. Even computer models would come up with hundreds of different outcomes just by tweaking different variables by small amounts. And we can't even agree on those variables in the real world so what's the point? Apart from to sell doom to those that find change even on a catastrophic level globally so appealing simply on the basis that its a break from the dogma of day to day life.

Nah. Just get on with your lives and enjoy each day as best you can. Change is inevitable but it probably ain't gonna happen overnight. We've probably got another couple of generations left in us before we reach the end of our current epoch.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: fatpastyhead

It would be nice if you paid attention to the title and read the OP.

Our oceans are dying and need the fresh water so the melting of the Arctic is probably a good thing for the Earth, but not for us.

We seriously need to wake up and rally together to change this world into a place where our kids and future generations can survive.

We need to act NOW! Watch the video and you will understand the urgency.

Do you understand the oceans dying? Melting of the Arctic? Do you not think what the implication may be just from the info I provided AGAIN for you.

Be real nice if you would watch the video too.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 04:47 AM
link   

It's good that you acknowledge that there is a problem. However, going from one extreme (no problem) to another (the end of the world) is not really a rational transition.

It's that false dichotomy thing you brought up previously.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 04:50 AM
link   
a reply to: HumberWarrior

Had you watched the video or read the PDF you wouldn't be saying it's of no concern RIGHT NOW. The proof the oceans are melting is overwhelming. Methane is the main scare. You can actually watch it melt (live on the video) and see the methane all over the world from a computer model.

It's melting at an alarming rate.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 04:50 AM
link   
It's true, below the artic ice and in Siberia there is a huge amount of methane. The problem is that it's way more powerful then co2, 67x on average and the first few years even way way more, causing an extra boost to global warming. Already allot is released in the atmosphere. In short this eventually will lead to rapid climate change (in the next 50-100 years plus minus) and makes life unlivable for humans and most other species. The shocking thing is yes it's not in the media really, while this should have all the funding and research to save our and most other species on this planet but we are not doing that of course.

This guy can explain it better, Professor Peter Wadhams, leading Arctic scientist Cambridge University:

edit on 30-8-2015 by Pluginn because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 04:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Pluginn

The problem is that it's way more powerful then co2, 67x on average and the

Actually, no.

Because CH4 degrades in the atmosphere (unlike CO2) it's effective "greenhouse" strength is 20 times that of CO2. And it's concentration is far, far less. Is it of concern? Yes. Will massive amounts sufficient to cause a runaway warming effect occur? Well, that depends.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 04:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: MamaJ
a reply to: HumberWarrior

Had you watched the video or read the PDF you wouldn't be saying it's of no concern RIGHT NOW. The proof the oceans are melting is overwhelming. Methane is the main scare. You can actually watch it melt (live on the video) and see the methane all over the world from a computer model.

It's melting at an alarming rate.

Methane is a large problem. May i suggest you stop talking s h it? That should help.
edit on 30-8-2015 by fatpastyhead because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 04:58 AM
link   

I've never said it was a problem??

I have known it was a problem for 4 years now.

You were probably on here accusing me of not knowing what I was talking about then too. lol

I'm not saying it's the end of the world either.

The world will survive. She is correcting herself all the time. No worries there.

Just sit on your hands... your choice.

Acknowledging the problem isn't doing us any good when we don't take action. You want to save future generations?

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   

While methane doesn’t linger as long in the atmosphere as carbon dioxide, it is initially far more devastating to the climate because of how effectively it absorbs heat. In the first two decades after its release, methane is 84 times more potent than carbon dioxide.

In the first few years it's even way more powerful then 84 times but you are right in his life spawn, meaning untill the time it dissolves in co2 it's 20x on average but the effect in the first years and the first two decades is a cause then for a rapid climate change.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 05:01 AM
link   

but the effect in the first years and the first two decades is a cause then for a rapid climate change.
Assuming a very rapid release into the atmosphere. A possibility, yes.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 05:01 AM
link   

The video you posted of Peter was taken from the video in the OP. ... AGAIN...

I encourage people to watch the video or AT LEAST read the PDF!!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join