It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you solve the code in the sword? British Library appeals for help in cracking enigmatic code

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:22 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Maybe it's some kind of scoresheet. A kill tally.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I think it might say "There can be only one", but I've never seen writing like that, so I can't be 100% sure that I haven't just made that up.....

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   
the engravings need not be words in another language... it could just be code prompt to repeat a vow or pledge that knights whom carried swords would be familiar with ;

for instance the inscription might READ FSASYAOFBF......

which may well be gobbel~dee~ gook to the masses but to the inner circle of Union Officers
the letters prompt the recollection of the famous Gettysburg Address, verbatim

..."Four Score And Seven Years Ago Our Fathers Brought Forth On This Continent A New Nation...."

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I just found out what this is,

edit on 8-8-2015 by yulka because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

First part Our Lord Jesus Christ

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I had a sword in Neverwinter Nights that was decorated with PONR.
Short for "Point of No Return".

On a serious note - As someone already suggested, it is probably some sort of acronym.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: HolgerTheDane2

The NDXOX is: Our lord jesus christ = ND - Noster Dommus (our lord) XOX - old pledge in name of christ

The Part: CHWDRGHD is the interesting part: One theory

N D X O X C H W D R G H D X O R V I
N o m e n
D e i
C h r i s t o s
O m n i a
C h r s t i a
C a e l i s
H i c
W a r a n t u s
D e u s
R e g i a
G r a t i a
H i c
D i x u s
C h r i s t o s
O m n i a
R e g i a
V o b i s c u m
I s t i

Not very good, but meaning approximately: Name of Eternal Christ our Lord. To the promised glory of God our heavenly Christian Kingdom. From Simon in Bath UK

However, i solved two letters more in the, one of them is the W=Man or M= End of History which i do think it does mean.

Anyone wanna play with symbolics and me?

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

edit on 8-8-2015 by yulka because: i was wrong

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
So lets just say in theory, you cracked it. But you also know there are people who believe in these things. What would you do if the sword is so to say cursed.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: yulka
a reply to: HolgerTheDane2

The NDXOX is: Our lord jesus christ = ND - Noster Dommus (our lord) XOX - old pledge in name of christ

The Part: CHWDRGHD is the interesting part: One theory

N D X O X C H W D R G H D X O R V I
N o m e n
D e i
C h r i s t o s
O m n i a
C h r s t i a
C a e l i s
H i c
W a r a n t u s
D e u s
R e g i a
G r a t i a
H i c
D i x u s
C h r i s t o s
O m n i a
R e g i a
V o b i s c u m
I s t i

Not very good, but meaning approximately: Name of Eternal Christ our Lord. To the promised glory of God our heavenly Christian Kingdom. From Simon in Bath UK

However, i solved two letters more in the, one of them is the W=Man or M= End of History which i do think it does mean.

Anyone wanna play with symbolics and me?

Take that bambridge scholars!! It seems to have been a crusaders sword.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

I solved it.

Since i think its a curse im gonna embed a video of the story.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
the inlay of the words seems to be gold....why?????
the crutch cross with the special marks at the beginning and the end are interessting..
find those special marks on the crosses with an possible link to the sword...

it could be linked to rosslyn chappel.....?????

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
The gold is why the letters lasted so long as it doesn't tarnish etc.
But being gold it tells me this isn't a regular soldiers sword who was uneducated and asked for anything to be written.

If I was to hazard a guess I'd say landed gentry or knights sword.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
The Sword is named Tyrfing

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Im gonna try but this is sorta what it says.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our father, Odin gods of all gods who can see everything, hurray, comes/wants with gifts/sacrifice on his horse sleipner and wagon, hurray, and then rides into the ( ice? ) winter sky.

However it does also say. Our father, god of all gods,hail. wants a hu-man sacrifice, hail. With him and his on his ride into the winter sky.

Its santa claus.....

It was ancient custom that when sacrifice was to be made, all farmers were to come to the heathen temple and bring along with them the food they needed while the feast lasted. At this feast all were to take part of the drinking of ale. Also all kinds of livestock were killed in connection with it, horses also; and all the blood from them was called hlaut [ sacrificial blood ], and hlautbolli, the vessel holding the blood; and hlautteinar, the sacrificial twigs [ aspergills ]. These were fashioned like sprinklers, and with them were to be smeared all over with blood the pedestals of the idols and also the walls of the temple within and without; and likewise the men present were to be sprinkled with blood. But the meat of the animals was to be boiled and served as food at the banquet. Fires were to be lighted in the middle of the temple floor, and kettles hung over them. The sacrificial beaker was to be borne around the fire, and he who made the feast and was chieftain, was to bless the beaker as well as all the sacrificial meat.[10]

Theories and interpretation Scholars have connected the month event and Yule time period to the Wild Hunt (a ghostly procession in the winter sky), the god Odin (who is attested in Germanic areas as leading the Wild Hunt and, as mentioned above, bears the name Jólnir), and increased supernatural activity, such as the aforementioned Wild Hunt and the increased activities of draugar—undead beings who walk the earth.[13] Modranicht, an event focused on collective female beings attested by Bede as having occurred among the pagan Anglo-Saxons on what is now Christmas Eve, has been seen as further evidence of a fertility event during the Yule period.[5] The events of Yule are generally held to have centred on Midwinter (although specific dating is a matter of debate), and feasting, drinking, and sacrifice (blót) were involved. Scholar Rudolf Simek comments that the pagan Yule feast "had a pronounced religious character" and comments that "it is uncertain whether the Germanic Yule feast still had a function in the cult of the dead and in the veneration of the ancestors, a function which the mid-winter sacrifice certainly held for the West European Stone and Bronze Ages." The traditions of the Yule log, Yule goat, Yule boar (Sonargöltr) still reflected in the Christmas ham, Yule singing, and others stem from Yule customs, and customs which Simek takes as "indicat[ing] the significance of the feast in pre-Christian times."[14]

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   

i have a solution for you =)

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Also says, Crown of thorns and man and a new time.

And they wound a garland of thorns and placed it on his head and a reed in his right hand and they bowed on their knees before him and were mocking him and saying, “Hail, King of the Judeans!

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   

The first letters of the names of the men killed by the sword

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join