It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you solve the code in the sword? British Library appeals for help in cracking enigmatic code

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
+5 damage in melee attacks, +8 resistance to fire attacks, +4 defense to magic

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I would bet the inscription is an acronym of some sort - Probably of a slogan, oath, or rule of a secret knight's order; maybe even developed from a biblical passage. Neat, whatever it is.
edit on 7-8-2015 by kissy princess because: words missing

edit on 7-8-2015 by kissy princess because: typo

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: liteonit6969

Celtic language, which includes Welsh, didn't use the letter X until modern times.
That would have been the time of Old Welsh or Middle Welsh.
The "ch" letters make the "x" sound.

I doubt it is Welsh.

edit on 1438993246Friday31Fri, 07 Aug 2015 19:20:46 -0500pmFriday2070731 by Ultralight because: if you can read this, great eyesight!

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: ATSAlex
It reads:

"Sword of Narsil, kingdom of Dúnedain"

of course, after all it was reforged

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Maybe it's a druidic magic spell?

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I'm thinking that it's a KEY for Windows 0.5.

LOL seriously that's a Cool Find.
Somebody will figure it out.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

The inscription reads : NDXOXCHWDRGHDXORVI.

I note a discrepancy between the inscription you list, the inscription that the Brit ish Museum lists, and what I see on the sword.

ATS:....NDXOXCHWDRGHDXORVI
MINE: ...NDXOXCHWDNCHDXORVI
MUSEUM: NDXOXCHWDRCHWDRCHDXORUN

But perhaps the inscription is Merlin speak for "Lady Of The Lake"?

British Museum Blog

There is some debate on the language used in the inscriptions. But looking at the other European finds, it seems most likely that this language is Latin. This makes sense in the context of 13th-century Europe, as Latin was the international language of choice (like English is today). To elaborate, let's compare the River Witham sword to the sword from Alphen: both start with some sort of invocation. On the River Witham sword, it is NDXOX, possibly standing for Nostrum Dominus (our Lord) or Nomine Domini (name of the Lord) followed by XOX. On the sword from Alphen, the starting letters read BENEDOXO. Quite likely, this reads as Benedicat (A blessing), followed by OXO. Perhaps these letter combinations – XOX and OXO – refer to the Holy Trinity. On the sword from Alphen, one letter combination is then repeated three times: MTINIUSCS, which I interpret as Martinius Sanctus – Saint Martin. Perhaps a saint is being invoked on the River Witham sword as well?

edit on 7-8-2015 by oletimer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I'm going with Initials of people the sword was involved in slaying with the X's marking unknown enemies.

That's if the inscriptions were made after the sword was originally welded.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

It was found on the bottom of the Witham river, so it was most likely in an oxygen free environment.

An iron age shield was also found in the same river.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus
a reply to: InTheLight

It was found on the bottom of the Witham river, so it was most likely in an oxygen free environment.

An iron age shield was also found in the same river.

Thank you for that information, otherwise my mind is running wild with replicas.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
If this were a simple substitution cipher ala Poes gold bug NDXOX could be Jesus.
The rest shouldn't be too hard to solve given the clues and variations.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I'll bet it translates to

'Made in China'

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   

The cross is the Greek Cross which predates the Latin cross (that isn't equal sides) and goes back to babylonian times depicting the 4 directions nth, sth, east, west.
The Goddess Diana also had it appear above her head, that Christianity transposed into Marion iconography.

Crosses were used to decorate as well as depict the crucifixion, so it could be just decorative and not related to anything religious.

It is a early crucifix depiction .
Very cool

edit on 7-8-2015 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge

I'd say this bit here is correct

‘Saxon swords in particular often had inscriptions on them that didn't actually say anything because the people buying them (or making them) were illiterate.

because theres only 2 vowels on it and they're both the letter 'O'...

So im going with the above quote

To be fair, a lot of languages either don't write out their vowels or rarely write out their vowels. Most Semitic languages are like that, particularly in ancient texts. As an example, the name Muhammad is based on MHMD. Muhammad, Mohammed, Mahmoud, and Mehmet are just some variations derived from this and generally differ for dialect or regional reasons. (In other words, think of those languages as writing in shorthand.)

Just saying we shouldn't narrow our view on this inscription just because of our own language norms.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   
The crosses at the beginning and end are the Knights Templar crosses.
Plus the style is right for a early Templar sword.

I would be looking into Knights Templar history.
Because theres only 2 vowels on it and they're both the letter 'O' i do not believe its a code but the first letters of something that had meaning for a Knights Templar.
Plus it could be in a number of languages

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   

edit on 7-8-2015 by zazzafrazz because: my mistake

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   

It's a recipe for a beer often enjoyed in the fall.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   
It says ''hold from the other end''

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: LoveSolMoonDeath
It says ''hold from the other end''

No it specifically says..."this end toward enemy"

Actually it reminds me of TOlkien- ese. HE apparently used some similiar letering in some of his sword props as elvish if i remember. Although this sword pre dates tolkien i tmight had been his inspiration.

Ill take on elast guess. property of tyrion lannister.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
+5 damage in melee attacks, +8 resistance to fire attacks, +4 defense to magic

Minsc would have loved this and so would Boo. "Jump on my sword while you can, evil. I won't be as gentle!"

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join