It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle sees fallout from $15 minimum wage, as other cities follow suit

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
15/hour.

The "Sharknado" of minimum wages.

lolz

We had many people pass up $15 an hour start pay when they were "extending" unemployment.

They actually would say "I make $10 an hour Net on unemployment", After tax I would only make $12 net maybe at that rate working for you. I am not working for $2 an hour!

Same thing applies. I don't know the levels of "public assistance" and I am sure that varies with Section 8, Childcare, EBT, Utility vouchers, etc.

But say "Poor" person can only make 20,000 a year and get 20,000 worth of combined benefits in public assistance annually. Do you think that person is going to go out of their way to make over 20,000 a year? Hell no they are not. Full time would gross 30,000 or so.

Did anyone think that they would work more to Net less overall?

Dumb, Dumb, Dumb.
edit on 22-7-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick

originally posted by: Shamrock6

originally posted by: In4ormant

originally posted by: proob4

originally posted by: Krakatoa
a reply to: proob4
If I am employer, I decide how much I can pay for a particular position. That is based upon many factors. If someone meets the criteria for the job, and is wiling to accept the pay rate I (the employer) has decided upon, then great. Otherwise, keep moving on to the next interview jack.

See thats the whole thing JACK, you crooks know the scale of the wages. Thats the whole problem. People deserve much more.

Why does a high school drop out who has decided to do nothing with their life DESERVE anything more?? People deserve what they have EARNED.

So why does a business owner " deserve" most of the profits the workers labor created?

The workers did all of the work.

100 percent of it.

Yet the owner keeps many times more of the profit.

Oh I get it, the owner had money up front, that means its all his work right, and the employee owes him....

None of which answers the question as to why an utterly unskilled person who completes a task that nearly anybody on the planet is capable of doing DESERVES the same level of pay as somebody who performs a task requiring skill and education to do properly.

Oh, I get it. Reasons.

Name the one time anyone in this thread has said anything even close to that scenario.

Oh I get it, if you pay someone a little more, they are now equally paid as the owner......

This is not even an argument, you are equating 5 pieces of rice, with a semi trailer of rice.

They are not equal period.

When a business makes a semi trailer of rice in profits, the workers at a minimum deserve to split half that rice amongst themselves.

At present, the workers( not all obviously, and I know it is a crap analogy ) deserve a fare reward for their efforts.

Do they deserve it all, of course not.

The owner floated his wealth up front taking a big risk.

He deserves a return on that investment.

Does the owner deserve most of the profits, no, he did little of the actual profit generation himself.

The mixture that makes capitalism work is off.

It needs to be corrected.

Otherwise, I would be agreeing with you.

I am not because this simple concept is gone for good it seems.

Then they will need to share in all production costs, expenses etc. Which does happen with some companies, not many I grant you. Most people are accustomed to a guaranteed wage without those types of risks involved. In that case, when they are after a guaranteed hourly or salaried position without those risks then THEY determine their own value by what they are willing to work for.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   
On a side note. Does this mean that dude that spins the sign on the corner for the haircut place is gonna make 15$ an hour minimum?

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

This was done to make people feel better about themselves. there was no thought put into it. But what do you expect from acedemics in politics?

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

15/hour.

lolz

We had many people pass up $15 an hour start pay when they were "extending" unemployment.

They actually would say "I make $10 an hour Net on unemployment", After tax I would only make $12 net maybe at that rate working for you. I am not working for $2 an hour!

I don't normally call BS on posts, but this? Really, you had someone on unemployment so knowledged of "gross" and "net" pay they refused your job?

Here's something you can do in the future, get that person's info and report to unemployment you offered them a job. they will lose their unemployment. Shouldn't be hard to get their info IF they actually applied for a job with you, you have the application.

Lying about an issue only creates controversy, not results.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: In4ormant

Those jobs honestly usually pay more than minimum wage, look it up.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Exactly. They asked for it, they got it, but now it's too much?

Entitlement whining. Same attitude I saw in that relative of mine. That one claims he can't get a job that doens't pay x amount, whatever that is, because it wouldn't be enough to live on. Nah, homeless and broke is better, apparently! You just can't make some people happy.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

I guess what it boils down to for me is taking away the incentive for people to strive to improve. My first job paid 5.25 an hour. Didn't like it and wanted more. If we keep allowing handouts and hiking up wages for low skill positions where is the incentive? That's the real trap. People just drown in there own comfort. Gotta be an incentive.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: johnwick

That is an overly simplistic model and does not take into account fixed charges, capital improvements, maintenance and other operating expenses.

Much like the business owner ignores, rent, food, car payment Insurance gas...... It costs money to stay alive just to get to work so one can work.

There is a bare minimum required for this.

Is there? Are you prepared to eat rice for every meal while you live in a 450sqft/1 room apartment while you pay for school to better that situation? Or work 2 jobs to support your dreams? Seems what some people consider just "living" would pass for wealthy in other areas of the world.

Nice deflection.

People in Africa.....

In America, if one lived like a middle class African would be in jail for abandoning their children.

Don't mix oil and water, they divide themselves out by nature.

It is full on retard to equate these positions, they are not equal.

You do not see the difference?

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Really didn't know where to put this, so Mods move at your own descretion.

For a while, there was a huge debate on increasing the minimum wage. Many said that $15 an hour would be a "living wage". That the people would be able to lift themselves out of poverty and finally make a decent wage. Well, it looks like that's not workin' out too good. Even though they're making that $15 an hour, many are asking for less hours, so they can stay on assistance programs. It also says that even though they are making $15 an hour, it still didn't lift them far enough to completely rely on their hourly wage. So, what now? Raise it to $17 ? $20 ? Do we just keep upping the wage till fast food workers and service people are making as much as professionals, with years of experience? I know, some will argue that food service is a profession and do deserve what other professions make. But, is the kid that fixed your Big Mac on the same par as the guy who designed the building you work in? Does that kid asking "You want fries with that?" deserve to make as much as You?

www.foxnews.com...

Seattle’s $15 minimum wage law is supposed to lift workers out of poverty and move them off public assistance. But there may be a hitch in the plan.

Evidence is surfacing that some workers are asking their bosses for fewer hours as their wages rise – in a bid to keep overall income down so they don’t lose public subsidies for things like food, child care and rent.

Full Life Care, a home nursing nonprofit, told KIRO-TV in Seattle that several workers want to work less.

“If they cut down their hours to stay on those subsidies because the $15 per hour minimum wage didn’t actually help get them out of poverty, all you’ve done is put a burden on the business and given false hope to a lot of people,” said Jason Rantz, host of the Jason Rantz show on 97.3 KIRO-FM.

The twist is just one apparent side effect of the controversial -- yet trendsetting -- minimum wage law in Seattle, which is being copied in several other cities despite concerns over prices rising and businesses struggling to keep up.

The notion that employees are intentionally working less to preserve their welfare has been a hot topic on talk radio. While the claims are difficult to track, state stats indeed suggest few are moving off welfare programs under the new wage.

Foxnews is not a reputable news source, its a right wing propaganda site much like MSNBC is a left wing propaganda site. This should have never been posted because it violates the Progressive Elites accepted economic theories that if unskilled workers are paid a living wage all will get magically better and income inequality will be remedied.

Your interests might be better served learning how to short Starbucks stock when they can't make a profit charging the $20.00 for a 6 Oz. latte necessary to pay the barrista $30,000.00 a year to take orders.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

15/hour.

lolz

I don't normally call BS on posts, but this? Really, you had someone on unemployment so knowledged of "gross" and "net" pay they refused your job?

Here's something you can do in the future, get that person's info and report to unemployment you offered them a job. they will lose their unemployment. Shouldn't be hard to get their info IF they actually applied for a job with you, you have the application.

Lying about an issue only creates controversy, not results.

Yes, more than once.

Ask anyone in HR that paid around the rate of unemployment. It was not unusual.

Ask anyone on unemployment if they will take a job paying less than what they receive on unemployment and you will find many more.

Actually let me ask you directly. If you are receiving an unemployment check for say $400.00 a week for the next year or 18 months, are you going to take a 40 hour a week job that pays less or the same than that?

edit on 22-7-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   

That is an overly simplistic model and does not take into account fixed charges, capital improvements, maintenance and other operating expenses.

Much like the business owner ignores, rent, food, car payment Insurance gas...... It costs money to stay alive just to get to work so one can work.

Is there? Are you prepared to eat rice for every meal while you live in a 450sqft/1 room apartment while you pay for school to better that situation? Or work 2 jobs to support your dreams? Seems what some people consider just "living" would pass for wealthy in other areas of the world.

Nice deflection.

People in Africa.....

In America, if one lived like a middle class African would be in jail for abandoning their children.

Absolutely, one considers themselves poor while complaining on facebook sitting in the bath and one would work all day to drink the bath water the other is sitting in. I respect one far more than the other.

Can you guess which one?

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   

hiking up wages for low skill positions where is the incentive? That's the real trap. People just drown in there own comfort. .
Some people are happy being mediocre, and that is fine. Working full time at any job should allow you to at least live mediocre, you could 50 years ago.

In the mean time there are some individuals that just cannot do anything better, just because. Those kind of people really exist. Allowing them to live better than in the ghetto on ramen noodles isn't a bad thing.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Just curious what state you are referencing if you don't mind me asking. Every state's unemployment rate is different, and none of them are really that good.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Sources:

FOX "news".

And

What looks to be a talk radio host.

Awsome!!!!!

Did anyone listen to the video? The $15 dollar an hour doesn't go into effect until 2018.

As far as people actually asking for fewer hours because of the future $15 an hr minimum wage that is 2 years away I will wait for independent confirmation on those claims.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   

hiking up wages for low skill positions where is the incentive? That's the real trap. People just drown in there own comfort. .
Some people are happy being mediocre, and that is fine. Working full time at any job should allow you to at least live mediocre, you could 50 years ago.

In the mean time there are some individuals that just cannot do anything better, just because. Those kind of people really exist. Allowing them to live better than in the ghetto on ramen noodles isn't a bad thing.

Can you discern "can't" and "won't" in those people?
I'm.not against "can't" but "won't" can eat ramen noodles all the live long day.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I goofed in my basic math:
15×40=600
600×4=2400
2400×12=$28800
I goofed and ended up cheating the single moms I was trying to defend. The question remains how you can sh*t all over them and still hold your head so high...alas you are AUGUSTUS MASOCHISTUS. Play you skin flute Nero. And be thankful you weren't raised by a single mother and all the breaks came your way. It must be nice to win the Lottery of birth. All hail numbnuts!!!

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   

The "can't" live below mediocre and have no say, no mouth anywhere.

The "won't" live mediocre at best, and never strive for more.

The issue is what do we set our standard of living at? 2 bedroom house and steak dinners on minimum wage? Your stupid if you expect that. A wage people can afford comfortable living and food better than processed chinese noodles? I don't think that is a lot to ask.

The issue really is the cost of living has increased disproportionate to wages.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Nice deflection.

People in Africa.....

Eating rice every day for 2 meals while living in a studio shack while putting myself through community college was more of a personal testimony and really had nothing to do with Africans John. Nice "full on retard" comment though. That's twice you've resorted to personal insults.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Said that here

So somehow we are seeing the fallout of $15/hour even though the minimum wage isn't CURRENTLY $15/hour?

Yep that sounds about right for Fox journalism.

Not many seemed to notice because it didn't fit the thread agenda *sigh*

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join