It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle sees fallout from $15 minimum wage, as other cities follow suit

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: proob4

originally posted by: In4ormant

originally posted by: johnwick

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: johnwick

That is an overly simplistic model and does not take into account fixed charges, capital improvements, maintenance and other operating expenses.

Much like the business owner ignores, rent, food, car payment Insurance gas...... It costs money to stay alive just to get to work so one can work.

There is a bare minimum required for this.

Is there? Are you prepared to eat rice for every meal while you live in a 450sqft/1 room apartment while you pay for school to better that situation? Or work 2 jobs to support your dreams? Seems what some people consider just "living" would pass for wealthy in other areas of the world.
Hey john wick look at this drivel for a response? What utter and complete distraction of subject huh? Pure utter nonsense.

Again you fail to discern the difference between a Determined individual and an Entitled individual.
I think I done "determined" you want a 60 hour a week slave for minimum wage or less. YOUR THE PROBLEM! You feel Entitled and want slavery.

How much does that job of yours twisting words pay?

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: Vector99

Oh, please. I worked fast food in high school, it's not rocket surgery. Why do you think it's about 90% high school kids you see working there?

Rocket surgery...I see what you did there

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

You "WORKED" it, never managed it. Yes, there are people out there that cannot do it. Try hitting management/ownership level of that kind of business and you will understand. You the worker aren't burdened by those that can't do it, but trust me they exist. What do we do with those people?

Physical labor (construction of most sorts) is what I would call unskilled labor. Literally anyone can dig a hole if you give them a shovel, but not all people can make a hundred burgers an hour.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Oh, please. I worked fast food in high school, it's not rocket surgery. Why do you think it's about 90% high school kids you see working there?

I'm seriously questioning if that was truly an intent, or just a you know...lol

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99
a reply to: DAVID64

You "WORKED" it, never managed it. Yes, there are people out there that cannot do it. Try hitting management/ownership level of that kind of business and you will understand. You the worker aren't burdened by those that can't do it, but trust me they exist. What do we do with those people?

Physical labor (construction of most sorts) is what I would call unskilled labor. Literally anyone can dig a hole if you give them a shovel, but not all people can make a hundred burgers an hour.

Robotics; "Learn it, live it, love it"
- B. Hamilton

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

I'm seriously questioning if that was truly an intent, or just a you know...lol

Let's go with intent, the other alternative scares me a little

link   
a reply to: notmyrealname

If it was a reality it would be in place. It's not, and won't be anytime soon. Maybe the order taking part, I'll give you that.

link   

Damn, forceps Stat, I have a fuel bleeder, Clamp, I SAID CLAMP….. BOOM!
edit on 22-7-2015 by notmyrealname because: ...spit coffee on my keyboard.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   
"Oh, please. I worked fast food in high school, it's not rocket surgery. Why do you think it's about 90% high school kids you see working there?"

Vector wins wittiest post of the night award, by accident

edit on 22-7-2015 by In4ormant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   
No, it's combination of brain surgery and rocket science. A tongue in cheek way to give an example of a lack of skill or knowledge.
Are you resorting to personal insults now? That's usually the first sign you know you've lost.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: notmyrealname

lmao

edit on 22-7-2015 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: notmyrealname

originally posted by: Krakatoa
a reply to: proob4
If I am employer, I decide how much I can pay for a particular position. That is based upon many factors. If someone meets the criteria for the job, and is wiling to accept the pay rate I (the employer) has decided upon, then great. Otherwise, keep moving on to the next interview jack.

See thats the whole thing JACK, you crooks know the scale of the wages. Thats the whole problem. People deserve much more.

Why does a high school drop out who has decided to do nothing with their life DESERVE anything more?? People deserve what they have EARNED.

So why does a business owner " deserve" most of the profits the workers labor created?

The workers did all of the work.

100 percent of it.

Yet the owner keeps many times more of the profit.

Oh I get it, the owner had money up front, that means its all his work right, and the employee owes him....

Try build and operate a business sometime and you may get some understanding that your perception is wrong.

I have.

Well, technically it wasn't a business.

It was contracting, in construction.

I had 6 guys employed, 7 counting myself.

It was great until we got undercut by the Mexicans that got half as much as us took all the work.

I did it easy and open.

The job pays $10k, expenses on that averaged around $2500 taxes insurance materials etc.

The $7500 profit was divided by shares.

I was the boss, I had the work, I got 2 shares, my 4 long term guys all got 1 full share, the 2 part timer new guys got a 1/2 to 3/4 share depending on the job.

Let's be real, some jobs are easy, others.... Ya, somehow disaster does quite describe it.

So a half share was not equal to the work required, I paid more, because they did more.

This is how capitalism is supposed to work.

It doesn't anymore.

The game is rigged, it is stacked, by the haves, against the have boys.

It used to be so easy, get up go to work, make money.

Now it is get up, go to work, get off work, go to work at other job, bring home less at 2 jobs than I made at 1 job, while working twice as much.

Still, 2 paychecks and twice the work and even if I made the same pay, the price of everything rises nonstop, but wages never rise at the same rate.

Workers are worse off now with 2 minimum wage jobs, than in 1970 with just one.

In 1970 a person working minimum wage could buy a house and a new car.

Today, they can't even afford rent and living expenses.

That is alright in your view?

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   

No, it's combination of brain surgery and rocket science. A tongue in cheek way to give an example of a lack of skill or knowledge.
Are you resorting to personal insults now? That's usually the first sign you know you've lost.

What did I lose? The title given to me by In4ormant?

You made a thread how $15/hour was causing fallout. My initial response was informing you that the minimum wage isn't actually $15 yet, so any price hikes correlated to it are simply a greed tactic, and journalism referencing $15/hour is bad journalism, because well that isn't the minimum wage.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   

?

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: In4ormant
Not you.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   

If I am employer, I decide how much I can pay for a particular position. That is based upon many factors. If someone meets the criteria for the job, and is wiling to accept the pay rate I (the employer) has decided upon, then great. Otherwise, keep moving on to the next interview jack.

See thats the whole thing JACK, you crooks know the scale of the wages. Thats the whole problem. People deserve much more.

Why does a high school drop out who has decided to do nothing with their life DESERVE anything more?? People deserve what they have EARNED.

So why does a business owner " deserve" most of the profits the workers labor created?

100 percent of it.

Oh I get it, the owner had money up front, that means its all his work right, and the employee owes him....

Try build and operate a business sometime and you may get some understanding that your perception is wrong.

I have.

It was great until we got undercut by the Mexicans that got half as much as us took all the work.

I did it easy and open.

The job pays $10k, expenses on that averaged around $2500 taxes insurance materials etc.

I was the boss, I had the work, I got 2 shares, my 4 long term guys all got 1 full share, the 2 part timer new guys got a 1/2 to 3/4 share depending on the job.

Let's be real, some jobs are easy, others.... Ya, somehow disaster does quite describe it.

So a half share was not equal to the work required, I paid more, because they did more.

It doesn't anymore.

Now it is get up, go to work, get off work, go to work at other job, bring home less at 2 jobs than I made at 1 job, while working twice as much.

Still, 2 paychecks and twice the work and even if I made the same pay, the price of everything rises nonstop, but wages never rise at the same rate.

Should the Mexicans you speak of deserve the same amount as you for the jobs OR were they worth only what they agreed to do the work for?

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   

100 percent of it.

I have.

I did it easy and open.

It doesn't anymore.

Should the Mexicans you speak of deserve the same amount as you for the jobs OR were they worth only what they agreed to do the work for?

Somebody just tapped the head of the nail regarding wage issues, but that is a whole other topic, well kind of.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   
15/hour.

The "Sharknado" of minimum wages.

lolz

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: johnwick
I understand where you are coming from and the source of your frustration however, I am not the cause of your ills. I have also endured hardships and work very hard to ensure that anyone that works with me does not have to experience that. If the system is rigged and people are still making it, then so can you. You have the benefit of experience and knowledge. See if you can make that work for you somehow instead of quitting.

It is a slippery slope of depression to believe that you can't; I read your other post and know you have had a hard time. Someone here believed in you therefore, my opinion is that you should also believe in yourself. Contrary to popular belief, successful business owners usually do not get the results they desire the first few times out the gate. Bitterness will only scare the people with opportunities away from you or hide them from you. All in all, you can do it if you keep trying. You know you can because you have done it before!

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

100 percent of it.

None of which answers the question as to why an utterly unskilled person who completes a task that nearly anybody on the planet is capable of doing DESERVES the same level of pay as somebody who performs a task requiring skill and education to do properly.

Oh, I get it. Reasons.

Name the one time anyone in this thread has said anything even close to that scenario.

Oh I get it, if you pay someone a little more, they are now equally paid as the owner......

This is not even an argument, you are equating 5 pieces of rice, with a semi trailer of rice.

They are not equal period.

When a business makes a semi trailer of rice in profits, the workers at a minimum deserve to split half that rice amongst themselves.

At present, the workers( not all obviously, and I know it is a crap analogy ) deserve a fare reward for their efforts.

Do they deserve it all, of course not.

The owner floated his wealth up front taking a big risk.

He deserves a return on that investment.

Does the owner deserve most of the profits, no, he did little of the actual profit generation himself.

The mixture that makes capitalism work is off.

It needs to be corrected.

Otherwise, I would be agreeing with you.

I am not because this simple concept is gone for good it seems.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join