It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

African American Names!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: Entreri06

And in America what do we do when some one tells us we can't or shouldnt do something cause it might not sit well with others?

We do it anyway because we can. If old white men are stuck in the backward ways then there is nothing we can do. Why let them dictate how some one names thier child?

While your morally right!! Is that your choice to decide that for your child? Is it ok for you to decide your child should reap the negative effects for your politics?

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

If the name has a meaning to you and yours then by all means name your child it.

If you are just trying to be different then sure you have a duty to your child at that point.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Honestly this thread is a little insulting to be fair. So, because their names aren't traditional common American names its ghetto?

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: amicktd
Honestly this thread is a little insulting to be fair. So, because their names aren't traditional common American names its ghetto?

Since I grew up in the ghetto, from my personal experience it's mainly people we all consider ghetto that do it. Not only ghetto black people do it. Ghetto whites (perfect example of a ghetto white being my little brother lol) do it as well. Both cases would have the same effect on the child's employment status.

To be fair I could have stated that in the OP and title. But hind sights always 20/20....

I don't even think it's racial really. Upper middle class AA's don't name their kids Laquita. I think really it's far more about economics. Maybe since poor people think they might not be able to give there kid a speacial up bringing, but they can give them a speacial name.... Idk.

The right and wrong are obvious, but the question is what's the reality of the situation?

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   

A picture paints a thousand words....or just THREE in this case:

s3-ec.buzzfed.com...

There was a time slave owners used to give their slaves silly names as a part of the ongoing psychological onslaught/ humiliation.

By what standards are you judging these names to be deemed silly?

I travel the world quite a bit. What are your thoughts on common names in Finland, Norway, and other Scandinavian nations? What are your thoughts on common German names...?

Finnish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Finland

www.babynamewizard.com...

Oh, and one more thing:

PLEASE, for the love of all that is good in this world: STOP referring to black people as AFRICAN AMERICANS.

America is the only nation in the world who mentally segregates its black population in such a way. Have you ever referred to yourself as European American (even silently within your thoughts)?

Stop playing into the stereo type!!! Or if you just freakin have to leave your child out of it!!!

Bloody hell...ironic.

+

I 100% agree it shouldn't matter what your parents name you, but we all know it does.

Btw, it says more about the minds of individuals and their lack of individuality when they believe names have a bearing on one's own potential in life...

Here is an interesting fact: Michael Jackson named his kid "Prince Michael" because his great grandfather was stripped of his given birth name and given Prince Jingles as an replacement by his slave master. He was "taking it back" and spinning it....but media doesn't talk about those things.

^^^ that was a rabbit hole that if you decide to go down it will show that there is WAY more to what you alluded to in your OP.

I hope this thread isn't taken a way I don't intend. Just for background, I'm a 33 white make from mississippi. That said I grew up in trailerparks and project housing, more then once being the only "white" (race is a BS creation) family on the block. Never had one bit of trouble tho. In fact me and my brother were fairly "untouchable" because of it. We an army of sorta thugged out friends who would go the bat for us instantly. Multiple times having having a black best friend in school.

You and the great Elvis Presley have much in common...

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Heres a thought

Instead of picking faults in others, how about people mind their own damn business, accept other people and get on with things?

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: neformore
Heres a thought

Instead of picking faults in others, how about people mind their own damn business, accept other people and get on with things?

THANK YOU!

Whether OP is verbalizing it or not, I feel like OP is making an effort to tell me that naming my kid something unusual is akin to assaulting my kid.

Entreri seems to refuse to understand or accept three things

1. It is NOT OUR BUSINESS who names who what. Age 18...walk to the court and change it...period...done...over

2. Naming a child something unusual IS NOT DAMAGE OR HARM. Jeebus OP Get over yourself. You are so emotionally invested in this self-created issue you are typing like you are yelling. I don't mean to pimp my own thread but go look at my recent original thread on how only YOU get to decide what angers you. These parent's actions have no effect on you and just because you say a name is unusual = danger, does not make it so.

3. And yes I am well aware of your tired argument about the "reality" of names versus hiring managers. I have two questions that maybe you can calmly answer

a. Isn't it just possible that an unusual name like Laquita, etc (which is often given to black children) is NOT the issue and perhaps the 60yo, white male HM is just straight up racist??? I mean I am sure the name has something to do with it but how do we ignore the race factor? How do you know that Devontre couldn't have been turned down either way if his name was Johnathan...yet still black?

b. And more importantly, IF it is largely the problem of the name that is "keeping them from getting hired," then why in the heck are you taking your crusade out against the parents and not the BLOODY HIRING MANAGERS? If I (name is Dan) am white (which I am) and I am up for a job against Shavonte (black) and she is more qualified for said position, then if the hiring manager chooses me because Dan is so "much more normal" then HOW IS THAT the mom/dad's fault? Can we just hash out and agree that this (if it IS indeed the case) the manager's fault for being an a-hole?

But no...sorry, I and the great country of the United States (VERY fortunately) vehemently disagree with you that naming a child something "ghetto" is NOT harm.

In this case I am awful glad the law is on my side.

If it changed then what next? If I send my kid out with a red shirt and he happens to accidentally cross some Krips and is murdered...is that my fault too? Why not? By your logic I knew we lived in this country and somewhere around this country are Krips that will take a blazing red shirt as an insult...then I was the idiot. I should know better than to put my child into "harm's way" by allowing red to be on his back.

I mean you like far out analogies...so there is one

wow...

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Wow, do names really make such a difference OP?
I know many folk who sift job applications and applicant name is not on their ticklists, just qualifications, experience, and whatever they can offer to the employer.
I don't believe the US is that much different outside of bigoted enclaves, really? Deny someone an interview when they meet all the job requirements because their name sounds ghetto?!

...sad state of affairs if that really is true.

*Edit*
It's also a poor economic model not including the unknown potential contributions of those folk you deem to have ghetto names.
edit on 19.6.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: KyoZero

originally posted by: neformore
Heres a thought

THANK YOU!

Whether OP is verbalizing it or not, I feel like OP is making an effort to tell me that naming my kid something unusual is akin to assaulting my kid.

Entreri seems to refuse to understand or accept three things

1. It is NOT OUR BUSINESS who names who what. Age 18...walk to the court and change it...period...done...over

2. Naming a child something unusual IS NOT DAMAGE OR HARM. Jeebus OP Get over yourself. You are so emotionally invested in this self-created issue you are typing like you are yelling. I don't mean to pimp my own thread but go look at my recent original thread on how only YOU get to decide what angers you. These parent's actions have no effect on you and just because you say a name is unusual = danger, does not make it so.

3. And yes I am well aware of your tired argument about the "reality" of names versus hiring managers. I have two questions that maybe you can calmly answer

a. Isn't it just possible that an unusual name like Laquita, etc (which is often given to black children) is NOT the issue and perhaps the 60yo, white male HM is just straight up racist??? I mean I am sure the name has something to do with it but how do we ignore the race factor? How do you know that Devontre couldn't have been turned down either way if his name was Johnathan...yet still black?

b. And more importantly, IF it is largely the problem of the name that is "keeping them from getting hired," then why in the heck are you taking your crusade out against the parents and not the BLOODY HIRING MANAGERS? If I (name is Dan) am white (which I am) and I am up for a job against Shavonte (black) and she is more qualified for said position, then if the hiring manager chooses me because Dan is so "much more normal" then HOW IS THAT the mom/dad's fault? Can we just hash out and agree that this (if it IS indeed the case) the manager's fault for being an a-hole?

But no...sorry, I and the great country of the United States (VERY fortunately) vehemently disagree with you that naming a child something "ghetto" is NOT harm.

In this case I am awful glad the law is on my side.

If it changed then what next? If I send my kid out with a red shirt and he happens to accidentally cross some Krips and is murdered...is that my fault too? Why not? By your logic I knew we lived in this country and somewhere around this country are Krips that will take a blazing red shirt as an insult...then I was the idiot. I should know better than to put my child into "harm's way" by allowing red to be on his back.

I mean you like far out analogies...so there is one

wow...

Your 100% right about the 60 white managers being the problem, however that doesn't change the reaction your child will get. You also have a point about attacking the managers instead of the parents, but how exactly do you prove that's why they did it?

How can you say that being 20% ( trying to round down from the 50% less call backs) less hire able isn't harmful?

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
a reply to: enlightenedservant

we have no connections to England

The U.S. has many connections to England ( Britain ).

You can begin with the foundation of The U.S. Add to that your Political and Law institutions. Those include Magna Carta and English Common Law.

*facepalm*

Read the context. I'm talking about African Americans. We African Americans have no connections to England, unless you count the slavery connections which I mentioned in detail. LOL Are you going to lecture me on how the 13 colonies were originally British colonies, too?

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Entreri06

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

originally posted by: mikeone718
Sorry there's nothing African at all about Devontre or La'quita.

To the racially sensitive, progressive, "I'm color blind" types....that sh!+ is ghetto.

There are more than 500 different ethnic groups & 200 different languages spoken in Nigeria alone. And that's just one of the 50+ countries in Africa. Just because you don't know where a name comes from doesn't mean it's not real.

So your saying Laquita and devondre are traditional names then?

I gotta look that up...

No one has said it was morally right or that the negative sterio types placed on black people are correct. But your a Fox newsian if you believe those born poor and black don't have a harder "rope to climb" in America. So I know the best idea ever, let's make sure anyone who reads your child's name is pretty sure they come from a poor black family.

Also I doubt you have many black doctors, lawyers and CEO's name there kid "ghetto" names with crazy spellings. They know how hard a ladder they had to climb.

LOL You're barking up the wrong tree. I'm an African American with 4 "very different" names lol. Our last name is so unique that there are literally less than 15 people in America with it. To you it may not be a "real name", but my parents changed their name to it because of the ancient meaning of the word in one of our former heritages. And my Dad's both an Imam & a Professor (at a University I won't name), and he has a "weird/foreign name". So you're wrong there too.

Also, maybe you & some of the other people in this thread are the ones with the real problems. You judge people's possible success based on names? How civilized or advanced is that? And like I mentioned in an earlier post, have you actually seen some European names? Would you also judge a "Donatas Motiejunas" or "Kostas Papanikolaou" based on their "crazy" names (for the record, they're both rich basketball players)? Or do you only single out "ghetto"/"poor" African Americans?

And last, many of you are the ones complaining about the names being fake or whatever. I'm saying that names exist that you clearly have no knowledge of. And there are names in any of those 200+ languages in Nigeria that may sound weird or fake to you. But that doesn't mean they are fake. And it also doesn't mean we should care about anyone's opinion of our names.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: amicktd

Only a little insulting? It's called "African American Names!!" Apparently they have no problem with ethnic Japanese people having Japanese names or ethnic Russians having Russian names. But when the people who had our names, cultures, and languages stripped from us decide to reject our slave names? Now there's a problem.

I'm honestly bewildered that so many people are in this thread whining & mocking people for their names. It's both pathetic & disappointing. And I wonder how many women here would be ok with hiring managers throwing all applications with feminine sounding names in the trash. Or throwing all applications with Biblical names in the trash?

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Oh I know. I knew OP would have a following. wow

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Well, interesting thread and read, so S&F for that. As to the content, it's a heated topic for certain. To be fair, though, you aren't saying anything that Bill Cosby didn't say. He pointed out the same issue, and that of clothing, as potential problems, and no one can accuse him of being racist.

Names can matter. That applies to anyone, of course, and some parents either aren't thinking when they name their kids, or are flat out idiots with some of the stuff they come up with. Names that can be twisted to cause teasing, names that are simply made up, and so forth, that parents pick because they think its cool or whatever, are seriously not nice to the kids. Parents really ought to think about how the nae they choose will affect their child, before choosing one. Sure, in a perfect world, it shouldn't matter, but this isn't a perfect world. Kids pick on other kids, and as the studies posted show, names matter later in life as well. Choosing a name just to be different, or spelling it oddly, just because, does in fact cause problems for kids, that can last a lifetime. That some dads can't even spell some of the names, as one poster mentioned, is beyond ridiculous.

As for the comment about calling blacks "African Americans", that's a label, as far as I know, that they chose themselves. Silly, I agree, as are any and all such hyphenated names, and even divisive, but you'll have to talk to the PC crowd about that one.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes
Well, interesting thread and read, so S&F for that. As to the content, it's a heated topic for certain. To be fair, though, you aren't saying anything that Bill Cosby didn't say. He pointed out the same issue, and that of clothing, as potential problems, and no one can accuse him of being racist.

Names can matter. That applies to anyone, of course, and some parents either aren't thinking when they name their kids, or are flat out idiots with some of the stuff they come up with. Names that can be twisted to cause teasing, names that are simply made up, and so forth, that parents pick because they think its cool or whatever, are seriously not nice to the kids. Parents really ought to think about how the nae they choose will affect their child, before choosing one. Sure, in a perfect world, it shouldn't matter, but this isn't a perfect world. Kids pick on other kids, and as the studies posted show, names matter later in life as well. Choosing a name just to be different, or spelling it oddly, just because, does in fact cause problems for kids, that can last a lifetime. That some dads can't even spell some of the names, as one poster mentioned, is beyond ridiculous.

As for the comment about calling blacks "African Americans", that's a label, as far as I know, that they chose themselves. Silly, I agree, as are any and all such hyphenated names, and even divisive, but you'll have to talk to the PC crowd about that one.

Actually we were first called "African Americans" to separate us from "normal" Americans. That's something that the "white" majority did, not us. Just as we were once legally referred to as "slaves" (under the "Slave Code" laws), "servants" (under some "black Codes" laws), "Negros", "coloreds", and now "African Americans". Those are the names that showed up on legal forms to describe us.

That's why some of us call ourselves "black", "African American", or whatever. Because whether it's federal, state, or local, every government form specifies that we choose one. And each community is different, which explains why some prefer "black" or "African American".

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Actually we were first called "African Americans" to separate us from "normal" Americans. That's something that the "white" majority did, not us. Just as we were once legally referred to as "slaves" (under the "Slave Code" laws), "servants" (under some "black Codes" laws), "Negros", "coloreds", and now "African Americans". Those are the names that showed up on legal forms to describe us.

That's why some of us call ourselves "black", "African American", or whatever. Because whether it's federal, state, or local, every government form specifies that we choose one. And each community is different, which explains why some prefer "black" or "African American".

Do you have any data/links to show where all of that came about? I am not saying you are wrong; I simply always thought of it as one of those labels groups choose to describe themselves. Whenever I have heard the term discussed, it's been talked about as a term used to get away from "black", since some considered that racist, for whatever reason. Why, I can't imagine, but that's how I have heard it discussed. It's all just skin tone as far as I am concerned, and terms like that, or Asian-American, or Native American, or whatever, just seem divisive to me. American is just American, after all. I'd love to toss out all such terms, and use simple descriptors whenever race needs to be mentioned, such as when looking for a particular person. Scientific names for the races would work.

As a person who is black, do you have a term you prefer, to describe your racial group? As a white person, I don't really care, as long as it isn't meant as an insult. There are some used for all racial groups that are derogatory, and should be avoided, I think. Other than those, I am good with whatever; white, caucasian, whatever. I have called myself a "mutt" before, being if pretty mixed European stock, lol!

Really, unless the cops are looking for someone and need to describe them, or there is a missing person, or something of that sort, race shouldn't be an issue. We are all human.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Entreri06

originally posted by: mikeone718
Sorry there's nothing African at all about Devontre or La'quita.

To the racially sensitive, progressive, "I'm color blind" types....that sh!+ is ghetto.

There are more than 500 different ethnic groups & 200 different languages spoken in Nigeria alone. And that's just one of the 50+ countries in Africa. Just because you don't know where a name comes from doesn't mean it's not real.

So your saying Laquita and devondre are traditional names then?

I gotta look that up...

No one has said it was morally right or that the negative sterio types placed on black people are correct. But your a Fox newsian if you believe those born poor and black don't have a harder "rope to climb" in America. So I know the best idea ever, let's make sure anyone who reads your child's name is pretty sure they come from a poor black family.

Also I doubt you have many black doctors, lawyers and CEO's name there kid "ghetto" names with crazy spellings. They know how hard a ladder they had to climb.

LOL You're barking up the wrong tree. I'm an African American with 4 "very different" names lol. Our last name is so unique that there are literally less than 15 people in America with it. To you it may not be a "real name", but my parents changed their name to it because of the ancient meaning of the word in one of our former heritages. And my Dad's both an Imam & a Professor (at a University I won't name), and he has a "weird/foreign name". So you're wrong there too.

Also, maybe you & some of the other people in this thread are the ones with the real problems. You judge people's possible success based on names? How civilized or advanced is that? And like I mentioned in an earlier post, have you actually seen some European names? Would you also judge a "Donatas Motiejunas" or "Kostas Papanikolaou" based on their "crazy" names (for the record, they're both rich basketball players)? Or do you only single out "ghetto"/"poor" African Americans?

And last, many of you are the ones complaining about the names being fake or whatever. I'm saying that names exist that you clearly have no knowledge of. And there are names in any of those 200+ languages in Nigeria that may sound weird or fake to you. But that doesn't mean they are fake. And it also doesn't mean we should care about anyone's opinion of our names.

I don't character anyone. I'm not a hiring manager.

The question is do you think you have been discriminated against because of your AA name?

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

Awsome info, didn't know that at all!! Or I guess I know the 3/5ths rule which is why Obama is the first black pres. Just never put 2 and 2 togather with the AA slant.

Ps I'm like a hard core anti conservative evangelical/Fox News "liberal". Just for context.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Uneducated?

Maybe?

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   

We African Americans have no connections to England,

Oh dear.

You do realise that many African slaves interbred with their owners. Those owners up untill The Revolution where British Subjects.

There is no pure gene for an African American. Lets look at one example.

Barack Obama.

Obama was born on August 4, 1961,[1] at Kapiʻolani Maternity & Gynecological Hospital (now Kapiʻolani Medical Center for Women and Children) in Honolulu, Hawaii,[2][3][4] and would become the first President to have been born in Hawaii.[5] His mother, Stanley Ann Dunham, born in Wichita, Kansas, was of mostly English ancestry

en.wikipedia.org...

Next time you make such ridiculous comments, try putting your brain into gear first.

edit on 20-6-2015 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join