It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

African American Names!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

I totally agree and will definitely never know even a slight number of African names.

It would be nice to someday travel through Africa and find a Quantavious. I'll think of you, John (or what ever actual, not made up, name your parents gave you).

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
I never realized just how many people there are in the world that can't resist the driving need to tell others how to live their lives... until I joined ATS.

Yes no one should tell people how to live their lives, if you wanna faith heal your kid rather then give them anti biotics, it sould be your right to watch your kid slowly die in front of your eyes just to force your ideology on your child.... Screw it if they don't wanna be a political statement! It's your RIGHT to make your child's life harder as long as you get to feel unique or whatever......

Extreme example but pretty damn fair analogy I think.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cloudbuster
a reply to: snarky412

Sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone saying those names were boring. I should of said extremely common instead. Some of those names I have begun to like when I listen to the sounds of the name like su san but would not call my next child by that name. My apologies.

I doubt you need to apologize, it's the internet! No one cares what a bunch of people they will never meet thinks, nor should they! :p

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: NeoSpace
Why does peoples names bother you so much, I think it's great there's so much variety out there so many different people, cultures and ways of life, I mean if everyone was the same the world would be a very boring place to live.

If an employer is going to trash can someone just because of their name, then they are probably stuck up a##h###s.

If variety is not your thing you could always try living in North Korea.

FYI most hiring managers are old white men....

Like it, hate it, don't change it.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Omg someone is called after jello?
Well seeing we call it something different I will call one of my many future children...Strawberry Jam.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Would you want to take the names of your oppressors? "Toby" was Kunta before he was brutalized, you silly goose.

Blacks rightly perceive the acceptance of Anglo names as a tacit concession of inferiority.

I mean, I don't think Hebrews slaves named their offspring after the Egyptians who asserted their suzerainty over them. Moses and Yeshua sound markedly different from Imhotep and Tutankhamen. C'mon, son.

You better check yo' self before you wreck yo' self...

As for the names not being authentically "African"; generally, 2nd and 3rd generation immigrants- irish, polish, italian, and all the other Europeans' (that Samuel Gompers let into America to delimit the burgeoning Black middle-class) -don't speak anything other than English. Blacks were forcibly separated from their homelands and had no connection to their cultural heritage. Parents and children were split. Oral histories were not propagated.

All things considered, what that hell would American Blacks know about Africa other than what their unqualified teachers espouse?

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
a reply to: Entreri06

Kaelyn is a pretty name; but it's not a traditional name in any sense of the word.

Unique but nothing she will be stereo typed over either.

Our job as parents is to prepare our kids for life and help give them what advantages in life we can. Not to make %100 percent sure they will be discriminated against in places where they can't even defend themselves.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Entreri06

originally posted by: Bone75
I had a childhood crush on a girl named Emonyiesha... needless to say I don't share your sentiment. I also hope you never get the chance to review one of my children's applications if they ever have to resort to such a thing.

Me personally?!?! The same person who grew up with arguably more black friends then white ones and who's longest high school relationship was a black chic named joshelyn. Lol. I am like literally the best white person you could have review your ("Appearently) crazy named kids app. I didn't make the rules, but we all know what they are.

Please tell me you didn't just do this...

Since you have no problem with completely out of the ballpark comparisons being "fair" ((ie apparently letting a kid die is akin to naming her Lequisha)...here is my comparison

Basically you just pulled the old 90's bull crap of "I don't hate black people! I have a black friend!"

I am not assuming you hate black people mind you but wow this post is so overtly inflammatory and yet attempting to hide behind some semblance of what seems to be "forced" concern for the welfare of such kids due to a name. Maybe you are truly concerned but even then I don't see how it IS your concern. Yeah the name are interesting and unique but who cares. Anyone (hiring managers included) who feel it necessary to cast judgment based on a name is completely pathetic.

and no...it is NOT a fair comparison to make between letting a kid die and naming them something unusual

link   

originally posted by: CynicalSinningSaint
Would you want to take the names of your oppressors? "Toby" was Kunta before he was brutalized, you silly goose.

Blacks rightly perceive the acceptance of Anglo names as a tacit concession of inferiority.

I mean, I don't think Hebrews slaves named their offspring after the Egyptians who asserted their suzerainty over them. Moses and Yeshua sound markedly different from Imhotep and Tutankhamen. C'mon, son.

You better check yo' self before you wreck yo' self...

As for the names not being authentically "African"; generally, 2nd and 3rd generation immigrants- irish, polish, italian, and all the other Europeans' (that Samuel Gompers let into America to delimit the burgeoning Black middle-class) -don't speak anything other than English. Blacks were forcibly separated from their homelands and had no connection to their cultural heritage. Parents and children were split. Oral histories were not propagated.

All things considered, what that hell would American Blacks know about Africa other than what their unqualified teachers espouse?

No one has claimed it's morally correct for America to be that way, but doesn't change the fact it IS that way.

That's like saying "since Obama got elected racism is dead" or that blacks are no longer discriminated against.

Your looking at the "should" not the "is", feel me?

Added in edit: Then how come every person with a ghetto name is a devout Christian if it's to throw off the yoke of oppression? Speaking English wasn't the only thing force fed during slavery...
edit on 19-6-2015 by Entreri06 because: (no reason given)

link   

Kaelyn is a pretty name; but it's not a traditional name in any sense of the word.

Our job as parents is to prepare our kids for life and help give them what advantages in life we can. Not to make %100 percent sure they will be discriminated against in places where they can't even defend themselves.

YOUR job is to work on YOUR kids unless you specifically witness or know of ACTUAL harm to another child...not just what you perceive to be harm.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: KyoZero

originally posted by: Bone75
I had a childhood crush on a girl named Emonyiesha... needless to say I don't share your sentiment. I also hope you never get the chance to review one of my children's applications if they ever have to resort to such a thing.

Me personally?!?! The same person who grew up with arguably more black friends then white ones and who's longest high school relationship was a black chic named joshelyn. Lol. I am like literally the best white person you could have review your ("Appearently) crazy named kids app. I didn't make the rules, but we all know what they are.

Please tell me you didn't just do this...

Since you have no problem with completely out of the ballpark comparisons being "fair" ((ie apparently letting a kid die is akin to naming her Lequisha)...here is my comparison

Basically you just pulled the old 90's bull crap of "I don't hate black people! I have a black friend!"

I am not assuming you hate black people mind you but wow this post is so overtly inflammatory and yet attempting to hide behind some semblance of what seems to be "forced" concern for the welfare of such kids due to a name. Maybe you are truly concerned but even then I don't see how it IS your concern. Yeah the name are interesting and unique but who cares. Anyone (hiring managers included) who feel it necessary to cast judgment based on a name is completely pathetic.

and no...it is NOT a fair comparison to make between letting a kid die and naming them something unusual

Either example is you choosing to make your child's life more difficult for your own personal ideology and both could have life long negative effects. Not SHOULD have negative effects, COULD have! It's hanging a billboard above your child's head saying "even when you can't see me I'm black and my parents were poor and prob under educated!"

I would bet money that VERY few of the African American doctors or those with Masters degrees name their kid something overtly ghetto. They know how hard a climb they had and wouldn't unnecessarily add more to there child's lives.

Ps:

I didn't say "I have a black friend, I'm not racist!"

I said, I grew up in the hood and wasn't picked on... Vastly different things. That I've dated arguably as many black chics as white chics also vastly different then the racist who says "I have black friends!".

I'm a liberal/libertarian atheist who's an evolution guy. The more we mix the stronger we make the species. Genetically (the only thing that really matters) there are no races.

Added in edit: Then how come every person with a ghetto name is a devout Christian if it's to throw off the yoke of oppression? Speaking English wasn't the only thing force fed during slavery...

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   

YOUR job is to work on YOUR kids unless you specifically witness or know of ACTUAL harm to another child...not just what you perceive to be harm.

So your saying black people DON't have a harder time in America then other races?

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Yep. I'm with OP.

From now on, all males will be called Steve. Not Steven - like those idiots with brain disease think it should be, but Steve. Or if you must, Stephen. With the PH.

And if you're a girl, you get to be called Stevie, or Stephanie. Steph for short if you want.

That will sort out all of this nonsense.

Any corruption of the name will result in immediate termination of your pregnancy and future family acknowledgement card. Mandatory 30 year penalty and 5 million eggs from your ovary.

Sperm, is of chouarse, safe. Velcro ladies knee pads available at the doctors office, tax deductible.

"And if you're unemployed, ve hav da solushun for you ! Please, valk dis way..." *goose steps out to the laughter of monty python audience*

STEVE AND STEPHANIE. We will name you all..
edit on 19-6-2015 by sn0rch because: Waves finger....

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Nice attempt there friend. A failure...but nice attempt

Not once did I ever mention that AA do or do not have it harder in America. I am well aware of how different it is.

Now I'll help you out and repeat my words

"YOUR job is to work on YOUR kids unless you specifically witness or know of ACTUAL harm to another child...not just what you perceive to be harm."

You can and should be able to do with your kids what you want short of abuse, neglect or assault. Fair trade. If you want your children growing up as you see fit then my hat is off to you. However, your ability to parent others ends with your child and does not begin again with your PERCEPTIONS of harm just because mom/dad named their kid something you don't agree with.

I am not saying that you made this inference...but my point was what YOU perceive as harm does not make it actual harm. Beating me with a rod because I dropped milk. That is harm. Leaving me with no food as a toddler. That is harm. Sexually assaulting/molesting me. That is harm.

Naming me Devontre...that is not harm. It's just your perception of harm and that's fine if you think so but fortunately for America they disagree with you...thank goodness.

Oh and one other thing. If you are still hanging onto the idea that harm is naming a kid something funky...said child can walk his/herself to a court at 18 years of age and change their name anytime they feel like it

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

You mean a name like North West .

Yup or any of the really wild spellings for normal names.

We are talking about job applications. Where how you spell your name is more important then how you say it.

You have a point that is backed up with research.

People with highly unusual names, like Chastity or North, or Apple etc. regardless of the racial stereotype do have a more difficult time when it comes to job applications and life issues and life success. People are comfortable with "normal" (what the country/culture defines as a normal name - read any twirling stand of names in a store with key chains and you'll find the US "normal") and more likely to choose people their unconscious says are "normal" people.

I'm not saying it is right,
so don't go screaming I'm a bigot as many of you normally do,
but it is the way it is.
www.livescience.com...
www.businessinsider.com...

I regret the 70's hippie name I gave my oldest to this day, fortunately it sounds "normal" even if the spelling is truly weird. I actually encouraged her at one point to legally change it to the "normal" spelling.

So the OP is correct in the assertion that unique and culturally identifying names can harm ones chances at success in later life if the name is outside of what is "normal" within the community the person resides and outside of the cultural that is identified with their name. Sad but true.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

One study says it is not conclusive and the other sites the practice that has lead to equal opportunity efforts in our nation.
The one saying if your name sounds more white you have a better chance of getting hired. Again in where you are applying does that, you don't want to work there anyway.
The rest of the stuff is about naming company's with some oddball name stuff.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Nice attempt there friend. A failure...but nice attempt

Not once did I ever mention that AA do or do not have it harder in America. I am well aware of how different it is.

Now I'll help you out and repeat my words

"YOUR job is to work on YOUR kids unless you specifically witness or know of ACTUAL harm to another child...not just what you perceive to be harm."

You can and should be able to do with your kids what you want short of abuse, neglect or assault. Fair trade. If you want your children growing up as you see fit then my hat is off to you. However, your ability to parent others ends with your child and does not begin again with your PERCEPTIONS of harm just because mom/dad named their kid something you don't agree with.

I am not saying that you made this inference...but my point was what YOU perceive as harm does not make it actual harm. Beating me with a rod because I dropped milk. That is harm. Leaving me with no food as a toddler. That is harm. Sexually assaulting/molesting me. That is harm.

Naming me Devontre...that is not harm. It's just your perception of harm and that's fine if you think so but fortunately for America they disagree with you...thank goodness.

Oh and one other thing. If you are still hanging onto the idea that harm is naming a kid something funky...said child can walk his/herself to a court at 18 years of age and change their name anytime they feel like it

Making sure it's harder for your child to get a job isn't harmful???

And it's not about MY perseption, it's about the preception of the vast majority of hiring managers, and anything else you have to apply for when competeing with others.

I've grown up with around enough AA's and am logical enough to know that the kid had zero say so in his/her naming and know that race is a lie people tell themselves.

The question is how will the name shiniqua or whatever who'll appear to the 60 year old white male that math says your far more likely to encounter. Hell, even conservative (not politically conservative) AA,s HATE anything thought of as Ghetto. There is no harsher opponent of sagging pants then an old black man. Guess what, that's who will be reviewing your job application, not some 25yo liberal white woman or trendy 27 year old Asian guy.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

And in America what do we do when some one tells us we can't or shouldnt do something cause it might not sit well with others?

We do it anyway because we can. If old white men are stuck in the backward ways then there is nothing we can do. Why let them dictate how some one names thier child?

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Vindication!!! Lol

This is from the previous posters buisness insider link. Also the privious article you claimed didn't agree actually did. They just said they didn't come up with as big a discrepancy as previous studies. Besides the first link was on where you want to work, not who people are hiring.

Buisness insider article:

A host of research shows just how much your name can affect your lifetime success, from your hireability to your spending habits.

We took a look at the research and have highlighted some of the surprising findings below:

If your name is easy to pronounce, people will favor you more.

In a New York University study, researchers found that people with easier-to-pronounce names often have higher-status positions at work. One of the psychologists, Adam Alter, explains to Wired, "When we can process a piece of information more easily, when it's easier to comprehend, we come to like it more." In a further study, Alter also found that companies with simpler names and ticker symbols performed better in the stock market.

If your name is common, you are more likely to be hired.

In a study by Marquette University, names that were viewed as the least unique were more likable. People with common names were more likely to be hired, and those with rare names were least likely to be hired. That means that the Jameses, Marys, Johns, and Patricias of the world are in luck.

If your name is uncommon, you are more likely to be a delinquent.

A study at Shippensburg University revealed that there is a strong relationship between the popularity of one's first name and juvenile delinquency. Researchers found that unpopular names were positively correlated with juvenile delinquency. While the names themselves are probably not the cause of the criminal activity, they may be related to factors that increase one's tendency toward juvenile delinquency, such as low socioeconomic status.

If you have a white-sounding name, you're more likely to get hired.

In one study cited by The Atlantic, white-sounding names like Emily Walsh and Greg Baker got nearly 50% more callbacks than candidates with black-sounding names like Lakisha Washington and Jamal Jones. Researchers determined that having a white-sounding name is worth as much as eight years of work experience.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

And in America what do we do when some one tells us we can't or shouldnt do something cause it might not sit well with others?

We do it anyway because we can. If old white men are stuck in the backward ways then there is nothing we can do. Why let them dictate how some one names thier child?

According to a study done by the Atlantic. People with a white sounding name have a 50% greater call back then black sounding names. Which is equivilant to 8 years of work experience!!!

Discusting? 100% absolutely!

So is cutting your child's chance of employment by 50% not harmful???

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join