It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Fix Society': Transgender Teen Posted Plea Before Suicide

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 03:01 AM
link   

"My mom started taking me to a therapist, but would only take me to christian [sic] therapists, (who were all very biased) so I never actually got the therapy I needed to cure me of my depression. I only got more christians [sic] telling me that I was selfish and wrong and that I should look to God for help." At 16, she wrote that she realized her "parents would never come around" and that she would have to wait until she was 18 to start any kind of medical treatment to transition to being a female. www.cnn.com...

If she had been allowed to choose her own therapist she might still be alive.

CHOICE? Oh wait, she didn't have that choice.
edit on 1-1-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 03:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I worry about people who value their 'church' & it's belief above their own flesh and blood

Their son was reaching out to his parents, for help and was treated like he was mentally off or something

It wasn't his friends or school that caused him a problem
But his own damn family, who refused to see him (her) for what she truly, what she was needing to be happy

What kind of God would approve of the way his family treated him anyway?

Thanks for providing the link......

edit on 1-1-2015 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I don't think LGBT people are requesting a drastic change in society so much as they are actually just asking to be treated as normal human beings.

No human should be treated like dirt simply because they are 'different'. We are all mortal beings constructed of the same materials. There really is no reason why someone of equal standing should be neglected by others, let alone by their own family. Society will 'change' once most treat others with equal respect. It's not much to ask for, really.

In saying this, my thoughts do go out to the victim and the truck driver. Hopefully the victim's family will contemplate their actions and perspectives.

edit on 1-1-2015 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 04:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: snarky412
a reply to: Annee

I worry about people who value their 'church' & it's belief above their own flesh and blood

Their son was reaching out to his parents, for help and was treated like he was mentally off or something

The mother is saying she loved her son unconditionally.

But, she didn't.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 04:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital
Hopefully the victim's family will contemplate their actions and perspectives.

Sometimes it does happen.

DEVOUT Christian Linda Robertson says her son came out to her at 12-years-old but that she forced him into ‘conversion therapy’. Now she is travelling the US to ensure more kids don’t die like hers did.

Basically, we told our son that he had to choose between Jesus and his sexuality,” Mrs Robertson said.

www.news.com.au...

edit on 1-1-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

From where I am standing, it seems transgenders are not only accepted, but glorified...

Turn on a TV...

I don't get the isolation.
this tragedy undoubtedly has more to do with this persons family than society as a whole..

It is a shame that he/she couldn't connect with the world.
Suicide is a cop out.

I am not trying to be cold. I wish this person faught harder for their identity.
People need to stand up for themselves at times.
We can't always blame the "society".

Make your mark.

edit on 1-1-2015 by defuntion because: Spelling

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I'm getting a little tired of the whole "it's no one else's fault - she made her own choice" crap. Yes it's true that no one forced her to commit suicide - it was her choice. But she felt like it was the most valid choice she could make, based on how she was being treated.

Example: I've seen threads on here that tell stories about people abusing/neglecting/starving infants/children. People get on those threads and scream and shout how angry it makes them, and how they would love to torture/kill those people for what they did to the innocent children. Why have that reaction? Why not choose to be forgiving to those people? Because you feel like your choice to be angry is a valid choice, considering what those people did. Do you blame yourself for your reaction or do you blame the abusers of children for your reaction?

Another Example: Lets say the government finally does what every gun lover has been afraid of -- they say it's time to start taking guns away from people, and have much stricter rules on who is allowed to have guns. What would be the gun lover's reaction? How would they choose to react? I can pretty much predict how they will react. Why don't they choose another way to react? Why don't they just accept it and be happy without their guns? Who is responsible for the way the gun lovers react? The gun lovers themselves, or the government?

This poor girl was treated badly by the very people she depended on to help her. She felt like her choice to commit suicide was a valid choice, based on other's actions towards her. Why do we move so fast to blame her for her choice/reaction, and not the ones who made her feel the need to have that reaction?

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   

For any of those saying happiness is a choice, I'd like to issue a challenge. Pick any one of your basic human needs, go without it for an extended period of time and tell me how happy you feel.

This person was completely ostracized, even by her own family. That's worse than solitary confinement, because not only do they have no friends or family to turn to, they're being harassed by those very same people.

I know what solitary confinement is like, I've been through years of it - you can't just choose to be happy in that environment. Life is not worth living alone. Nobody that has ever lived through that could ever say that happiness is a choice, because they've experienced proof that it's not. At the very least it's not the sole decision of an individual; happiness requires at least 2 people.

There's not a single one of you that could honestly say you'd be happy without friends or family. Companionship is a basic human need. If you disagree, then by all means prove me wrong. Cut yourself off from your friends and family. Ostracize yourself and see how good you feel. Try that for a year then get back to me, you'll have been through about 10% of what I have, and probably less than 1% of what this person went through.

“You can’t really understand another person’s experience until you’ve walked a mile in their shoes.”

And until you have, all you can prove here is your own ignorance.

[/rant]

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   

This sort of thing can be beyond hard for parents. Many other things that a kid may go through, get caught up in. Having said that it may have been the rejection of parents that really pushed this kid over the edge. What a mess it can all be.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Someone that deeply unhappy he would likely have committed suicide anyway.

Fact is suicide is extremely common even in post ops as it never solves anything.
Remember that 50-70 % end up regretting a sex change in the end which is why many doctors are still reluctant to do them.

Gender dysmorphia is a pretty difficult and complicated issue.
edit on 1-1-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: defuntion

Suicide is a cop out.

No. Suicide is a permanent escape from mental, emotional, and/or physical pain to such a degree, that you will do anything to make it stop. And if death is the only option that seems to be open at the time, you will take it. Until you have been there, in that place, you have no idea what it's like. And personally, I hope you never find out. I wouldn't wish that kind of pain on anyone. Even those who think they know what they would do in someone else's place, and are smug about it.

edit on 1/1/2015 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I don't think parents should have the right to stop a teenager from getting the hormone treatments they need to prevent permanent changes to their forms. Its in the teenage years this is crucial. Most teens know they're straight and don't have this issue. For the ones that do, this should be covered and a series of tests to ensure they realize this is a permanent thing performed. Because they'll have to live with it and in the end need to sign away any rights to sue parents or medical for granting their wish.

In addition, they seem to have advanced cloning. They can grow body parts now including those ones.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: IntroduceALittleIrony
This guy (yes I'm going to say guy because the article made no mention of an operation) felt the need to kill himself over peoples opinions basically. I doubt very much he would have been any happier as a woman, since woman critique the heck out of each other.

Also, to the people spouting off about Christians: I've met plenty of homophobic/transphobic atheists, so its not unique to one belief system.

that's the problem, this issue is much more complicated then, I was born the wrong gender, I did some research on it and many many trangenders even after reassignment surgery are still unhappy, many want it reversed.

Getting counseling is not wrong either, because that is what is necessary even before the surgery.

So before we put the blame all upon the way the parents handled this, consider the chance it is body dysmorphic disorder.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

They need to be taught that all their emotional pain comes from their own thoughts, not from thoughts or actions of others, or from outside circumstances.

As long as we're teaching people things, why not teach people to accept people the way they are - which includes the way they say they are

Society keeps insisting this isn't natural, no matter what evidence there is to the contrary

If your own parents won't accept you, and then try and force you to be something you're not - especially when you're just a kid - telling them all their unhappiness comes from the outside is more or less just restating their reality. All their unhappiness is coming from the outside

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

Exactly.

Its a pretty crappy disorder to have as it seems nothing will be a easily fix.

I feel sympathy for anyone that has it.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   

that's the problem, this issue is much more complicated then, I was born the wrong gender, I did some research on it and many many trangenders even after reassignment surgery are still unhappy, many want it reversed.

Getting counseling is not wrong either, because that is what is necessary even before the surgery.

So before we put the blame all upon the way the parents handled this, consider the chance it is body dysmorphic disorder.

I agree with most everything you said here, but I do place a large part of the blame on the parents, and their inappropiate handling of the situation. They made things much worse, and not better. They were worried more about themselves, than they were about their son. He looked to them, and they failed him miserably.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

Unity after learning what I have about this, a child or teen is to young to consider starting hormone treatments.

Many who do this at a young age regret it later in life.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Exactly.

Its a pretty crappy disorder to have as it seems nothing will be a easily fix.

I feel sympathy for anyone that has it.

Yep as do I,

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Unity_99
I don't think parents should have the right to stop a teenager from getting the hormone treatments they need to prevent permanent changes to their forms. Its in the teenage years this is crucial. Most teens know they're straight and don't have this issue. For the ones that do, this should be covered and a series of tests to ensure they realize this is a permanent thing performed. Because they'll have to live with it and in the end need to sign away any rights to sue parents or medical for granting their wish.

In addition, they seem to have advanced cloning. They can grow body parts now including those ones.

This is insanity. You want teenagers to make decisions on their own gender and supply them with the technology ti do so....

Today, as a New Years resolution.... I am no longer a Liberal.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Being the parent of four children, ages 47 to 27, I can say in retrospect I failed them miserably.

I can't imagine the guilt the parents must live with.

edit on 113131p://bThursday2015 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join