It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Fix Society': Transgender Teen Posted Plea Before Suicide

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Taupin Desciple
a reply to: snarky412

Not to sound callous, but there are millions of people on this planet who can't be what they really want to be because of society's restrictive attitudes.

It sounds to me like this individual couldn't cope with the fact that society wouldnt accept her the way she was, so she got depressed to the point of being suicidal. Sorry, but that's not society's fault. It's hers. You can't control how people act towards you, but you can control how you react to them.

Some people can't even accept the fact that others don't agree with something as mainstream as their religous preference, for example, to the point where they shun, hate and actually kill them. What makes Transgender people think that society is ready to accept them?

Something something death star. Something something entitled.

Entitlement works both ways. Your children won't always turn out the way you want them to. You're not entitled to a problem free child. Swinging a pocket watch and claiming its the child at fault is just another form of entitlement to IMO

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 12:23 AM
link   
To anyone who thinks it's no big deal, not the onlooker's issue, here's to hoping there's never any aspect of you, at your core self, that is deemed fundamentally wrong & rejected by society. No shunning. no rejection, no isolation, no fear, no hate, no abuse.

Actually, no. Let's hope that does happen. Sometimes you need to walk in other people's shoes before you really get the gist of why poor treatment has an impact. In other words, some people need to be torn down to the inner nothingness that envelopes the profoundly depressed/affected before you can have a legitimate opinion via a sense of complete understanding.
edit on 1/1/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: AreUKiddingMe

originally posted by: Jamie1

I watched a documentary about this issue and it left me feeling very sad for the young people going through this. There's no easy answer.

There is a very easy answer. They need to be taught that all their emotional pain comes from their own thoughts, not from thoughts or actions of others, or from outside circumstances.

Happiness is a choice. So is suicide. If more people were taught that happiness is their choice, and theirs alone, there would probably be few people killing themselves.

You could start by teaching the parents. Because that's where a lot of their emotional pain comes from. Let's face it, if day in and day out for years you were told you were ugly, and made to believe that you were some kind of oddity, you would have some emotional pain. It exactly IS outside circumstances that are causing it. Young people are impressionable and vulnerable. Oh yes, happiness is a choice. Tell me that the next time a disaster happens in your life.
Suicide IS a choice. But OUR choices influence THEIR choices.

What if I decide to raise my child in the jungle among apes? To be taught by apes how to forage for food, communicate, sleep, etc. So then it's up to my child to be happy because "happiness is a choice". ARE U KIDDING ME?

No, I'm not kidding you.

Happiness is always a choice.

Two people can be in the exact same external situation. One can be happy, one can be miserable?

What makes one person happy and the other miserable and depressed if both are experiencing the same external circumstances?

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE

I watched a documentary about this issue and it left me feeling very sad for the young people going through this. There's no easy answer.

There is a very easy answer. They need to be taught that all their emotional pain comes from their own thoughts, not from thoughts or actions of others, or from outside circumstances.

Happiness is a choice. So is suicide. If more people were taught that happiness is their choice, and theirs alone, there would probably be few people killing themselves.

RIGHT ON!!! YOU ARE A SAGE!!! NAMASTE!!

Thank you.

I have been blessed with experiences that from the outside would seem horrific. These experiences were not a drill. They were a real-world application of the principle that happiness is always a choice.

Why can one person who seemingly has everything be happy, and another in the same situation be sad?

Why can one person who seemingly has every disadvantage be sad, and another in the same circumstance be happy?

What's makes the difference? It is demonstrably provable that the difference is not the external situation.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 12:30 AM
link   

You could start by teaching the parents. Because that's where a lot of their emotional pain comes from. Let's face it, if day in and day out for years you were told you were ugly, and made to believe that you were some kind of oddity, you would have some emotional pain. It exactly IS outside circumstances that are causing it. Young people are impressionable and vulnerable. Oh yes, happiness is a choice. Tell me that the next time a disaster happens in your life.

What if I decide to raise my child in the jungle among apes? To be taught by apes how to forage for food, communicate, sleep, etc. So then it's up to my child to be happy because "happiness is a choice". ARE U KIDDING ME?

No, I'm not kidding you.

Two people can be in the exact same external situation. One can be happy, one can be miserable?

What makes one person happy and the other miserable and depressed if both are experiencing the same external circumstances?

A myriad of reasons -- we're individuals, not emotional carbon-copy robots. Do you know the exact histories of those 2 people? How they grew up, what molded them in the past into who they are now? How & why something affects them one way and not the other?

And man, do I smell a sock puppet account or what.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra
You'd think love and understanding would prevail in a christian household; but it is Ohio.

You have to adore a society that drives people to suicide just because they're icky and weird.

Society didn't drive anybody to suicide.

That was an individual choice.

Exactly choice. Maybe this particular point of consciousness realizes that it is no longer needed here or has landed at the wrong point or has competed its "mission" ?

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 12:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

No, I'm not kidding you.

A myriad of reasons -- we're individuals, not emotional carbon-copy robots. Do you know the exact histories of those 2 people? How they grew up, what molded them in the past into who they are now? How & why something affects them one way and not the other?

"sock puppet account"? Please elaborate, I do not understand. Thank You.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 12:48 AM
link   

No, I'm not kidding you.

It's a false presumption to think that a person's history or past is what causes them to be happy. It's not.

A person with what seems like a horrible past can suddenly smile and be happy in a moment. If the past determined a person's happiness, how can that be?

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 12:55 AM
link   

A person with what seems like a horrible past can suddenly smile and be happy in a moment. If the past determined a person's happiness, how can that be?

Is that person you?

You're very "cut and dry" that people can just flip a switch.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Is that person you?

I've seen it over an over. Yes, people can just flip a switch.

Look around.

They do it all the time, every day. We all do.

What happens in the moment when we switch from happy to sad, or from sad to happy, even when there is nothing in their external circumstances that has changed?

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Thank you.

I have been blessed with experiences that from the outside would seem horrific. These experiences were not a drill. They were a real-world application of the principle that happiness is always a choice.

Why can one person who seemingly has everything be happy, and another in the same situation be sad?

Why can one person who seemingly has every disadvantage be sad, and another in the same circumstance be happy?

What's makes the difference? It is demonstrably provable that the difference is not the external situation.

That is great and wonderful that you are who you are
I applaud you for being so strong

But to sit back and try to psycho analyze others and expect them to be like you just because you survived through what ever turmoil you went through in life is well, selfish and narrow minded

Not everything is simple as black and white
I found out in my life experiences that there is a whole hell of a lot of grey in between

Society can make or break a person, especially if they are weak
And yes, people can and are cruel, especially over the internet

I've meet many a 'weak' people before
But the difference between you and me, I stand up for them not knock them down
I accept them for 'how' they are, not force them to be ME

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 01:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Is that person you?

I've seen it over an over. Yes, people can just flip a switch.

Look around.

They do it all the time, every day. We all do.

What happens in the moment when we switch from happy to sad, or from sad to happy, even when there is nothing in their external circumstances that has changed?

At what age did you discover this human phenomenon?

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 01:20 AM
link   

No, I'm not kidding you.

It's a false presumption to think that a person's history or past is what causes them to be happy. It's not.

And it's a false presumption for you to think you know everything there is about people in general

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

Because their brains (mind) are wired differently

Like in school, where one excels in Science may not excel in Math
Whereas their buddy does great in Math but not in Science

It's what set humans apart

Like in politics, religion, sports, music, etc. etc.
Some people get all mushy at holidays where as others could care less

People think and act differently, have different likes and dislikes, that's just the way it is

One CANNOT expect others to react like they would in a tough situation
That's not the way real life works

(And just because one smiles for a moment does not mean they're truly happy)

edit on 1-1-2015 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 01:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: snarky412

Thank you.

That is great and wonderful that you are who you are
I applaud you for being so strong

But to sit back and try to psycho analyze others and expect them to be like you just because you survived through what ever turmoil you went through in life is well, selfish and narrow minded

Not everything is simple as black and white
I found out in my life experiences that there is a whole hell of a lot of grey in between

Society can make or break a person, especially if they are weak
And yes, people can and are cruel, especially over the internet

I've meet many a 'weak' people before
But the difference between you and me, I stand up for them not knock them down
I accept them for 'how' they are, not force them to be ME

I don't force anybody to be anything.

If somebody wants to be happy, it's their choice. Telling somebody it's their choice to be happy is the opposite of knocking them down. It's showing them they can be happy no matter what their external situation.

Emotional pain isn't caused by the situation. It's caused by the meanings we give to the situation. It's impossible to be sad without giving something a meaning. We all have the choice to define the meaning we give everything. It has nothing to do with strength and everything to do with awareness of our own thoughts.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Yes, at the end of the day suicide is the choice of the deceased - a choice that is ultimately the consequence of years of mental anguish. Nobody wakes up one morning and decides: Oh, what a lovely day to jump in front of a train.

I agree;
a reply to: Metallicus
we certainly shouldn't ever glorify the decision to kill oneself - at 17 there is still plenty of time to get help, escape the abusive(because that's what they are) family and live the way you want. This person is going to end up being a martyr for the cause which will have plenty of ramifications both good and bad on the trans community as a whole.

society

an organized group of persons associated together for religious, benevolent, cultural, scientific, political, patriotic, or other purposes.
a body of individuals living as members of a community; community.
the body of human beings generally, associated or viewed as members of a community:

The large quantity of human beings' that condemn people for scientifically recognized conditions condemnation, creates pariahs. Nobody wants to be a pariah; when people see no way out, they turn to the only way out.

Being 17 she had other options, certainly, but she was right that it included a lifetime of pain.

Everybody, cares way too much about what other people do and think; if everyone just f'd off and let people do what they want that they do no harm, we'd all be better off for it: but when even your family would ostracize you for something out of your control? It hurts. It hurts bad.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 01:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: snarky412

Because their brains (mind) is wired differently

Like in school, where one excels in Science may not excel in Math
Whereas their buddy does great in Math but not in Science

It's what set humans apart

Like in politics, religion, sports, music, etc. etc.
Some people get all mushy at holidays where as others could care less

People think and act differently, have different likes and dislikes, that's just the way it is

One CANNOT expect others to react like they would in a tough situation
That's not the way real life works

Of course there is no expectation for how others would or should act. What you're describing is how everybody has different beliefs and conditioning. That's a fact.

What's also a fact is that once anybody becomes aware that it's their own thoughts that cause them to be upset, and that they don't have to change their thoughts, and instead just become aware of them, then they are freed from the pain caused by those thoughts.

Don't take my word for it. Try it.

Try being upset over anything without giving it a meaning.

The meaning the girl killed herself was because she gave her circumstance a meaning that made her feel hopeless. She choose that meaning. It wasn't a fact that she had no future worth living. If somebody would have shown her that she was free to give her situation any meaning she wanted, she might have been happy instead of suicidal.

That's not knocking somebody down. That's saving their life.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   
This was a transgender teen who wanted to start medical treatment to stop the affects of Testosterone.

He did make his choices. He was denied the right of those choices by his religious parents.

He knew what he needed to be happy. It was denied.

As he said, by age 18 it would be too late. The Testosterone would have already changed his appearance.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   

If somebody wants to be happy, it's their choice. Telling somebody it's their choice to be happy is the opposite of knocking them down. It's showing them they can be happy no matter what their external situation.

Being technical here, but it depends on your definition of 'Happiness'

People have different views/variations of their perception of what happiness is to them

Sounds like your kind of happiness can be turned on and off like a light switch but I'm afraid it's a little bit more complex for some people than just that

Yes, self control is one form of achieving happiness but it's not the only form

Others are affected by their family as well as their surroundings and what is going on around them

Some hold money and valuables as their form of happiness

It's not right to lump 'Happiness' into that one folder you've got in your head
True, you are right in your way of thinking

But it doesn't hold water for many others

edit on 1-1-2015 by snarky412 because: fix sentence....argh

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 02:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lynk3

I support the LBGT crowd, and I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for saying this, but why can't people just accept who they are and what they have in life? Why do people always want to be something other than what they're meant to be, and why do they they always what more in life, and want what they can't have?

I understand some people are born with different brain chemistry, but it makes no sense to me. However, I am not one to judge another's decisions in life, and I accept and support all people for what they are. I guess I just can't see in their world because different perspective comes into play.

It makes no sense to you because you're obviously not a very deep thinker or very well read in this topic.

NO ONE would just decide to choose to go from being a boy to a girl. That goes against the core of society, being a male or female human, everything. You're assigned a GENDER based on the PARTS your are born with on the OUTSIDE of your body, at birth.

Sometimes those parts and what a person intrinsically feels INSIDE their MIND AND BODY differ. Maybe you should try learning more about this issue, and the people who are suffering for it, before posting such an insensitive remark.

Ignorance and insensitivity towards those who may be a little different is a bigger problem in the world than is ever reported and it is getting worse. This KID was bullied mercilessly at school, probably didn't have the most understanding folks, and felt SHE had no other option in this world but to throw herself in front of an 18 wheeler on Interstate 71.

So next time you find yourself faced with someone who's a little different, try some understanding for goodness sake. That goes for everyone, btw.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join