It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CDC mobilizing: Dallas Hospital confirms First Positive Ebola Case in the US

page: 111
<< 108  109  110    112  113  114 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: badgerprints

Even the hospital admits they screwed up:

His case exposed serious flaws in the emergency room intake process of a major hospital and alerted other medical centers across the country about the need to educate all staff about how to screen for Ebola. Both nurses and doctors who had initially assessed Duncan’s symptoms on Sept. 25 apparently had access to Duncan's travel history through the hospital electronic health record system, but they sent him home anyway with antibiotics -- a decision that may have potentially endangered his life and exposed scores of Dallas residents to Ebola symptoms.

But perhaps what’s more alarming is the way the hospital has released information about Duncan’s first contact with health care workers. In the very first press conference, a spokesman for Texas Health had nothing to say about Duncan’s gap in care or potential mistakes workers had made. Then the hospital admitted one nurse knew he had come from Liberia, but the information wasn’t properly disseminated. Then they said that a flaw in the workflow of the hospital's electronic health record system was to blame. Then it turned out both doctor and nurse did have access to his travel history, and that there was in fact no flaw with the hospital's record system.

“For me, the most disappointing thing isn’t that the system didn’t work, but in the aftermath, instead of helping every other hospital in the country understand where their system failed and learn from it, they have thrown out a whole lot of distractions,” said Dr. Ashish Jha, a professor at Harvard University’s School of Public Health, in an interview with The New York Times.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Oh and by the way, I still haven't found any source that confirms the pregnant woman was taken to an ebola treatment center. Every source says it was simply a hospital. The article I linked above also states that the pregnant woman was the first ebola case in Duncan's neighborhood, so it is definitely a possibility that no one knew she had ebola.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

how could they not know she had it?
i mean duncan was with her the day before she died. isnt ebola like the nastiest thing ever?

in this very thread back when we were all talking about duncan being sick at the apt everyone was arguing that he would be oh so sick. he would be so sick he wouldnt be able to do anything...

first in duncans hood....ok

duncans hood is in africa correct?

i dont see how he didnt know she had ebola.

i mean ducan was so messed up the day before he died the family didnt even want to look at him.
im thinking this prego lady would have been messed up. i can not believe anyone would have thought anything but ebola

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: CardiffGiant

there is no reason medical staff in dallas needs to know anything about a disease that was(up until then) only found in africa.

people are just trying to lay blame.

this non citizen lied on his exit of his country to come here and get free care.
now the family wants to be paid

medical staff are not geography masters. no reason they should be

also, i doubt a disease outbreak in africa makes the local hospital bulletins in dallas.

Despite frequent alerts from the Centers for Disease Control over the past few months about the risks for the spread of Ebola from West Africa, Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas sent Thomas Eric Duncan home after he went to the emergency room feeling ill on Sept. 25. He had told intake nurses of his recent travels to West Africa, but physicians did not identify him as a potential Ebola patient.

www.healthnewscolorado.org...

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Exactly, the entire country he was in had/has a massive ebola outbreak. It's all anyone can talk about/worry about. For him to say he didn't know about the ebola outbreak would be as if he were standing next to you, farted really loud, and then tried to blame it on "those damn barking spiders". Ridiculous to the point of being offensive.

reply to: CardiffGiant

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: AutOmatIc

i think it is all BS as well.
his neighborhood knew about ebola.
if he didnt know for a fact the pregnant lady had it im sure he had a pretty damn good idea.

logic tells us that he was well aware that she was infected and that he might be as well.
thats why he jumped a plane. was afraid he had contracted it and wanted to get medical attention in the states.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: CardiffGiant

If you are talking about the bleeding out the eyes/nose/ears, not everyone with ebola does that. Sometimes it's just internal bleeding. So, it may not be that obvious to an untrained eye that a person has ebola.

Though it's known for the extreme hemorrhagic symptoms -- the bleeding out of the eyes, etc. -- not everyone will experience these. "In fact, only 20 percent of people will have [these extreme symptoms]" Bhadelia said. "Some people may succumb to the illness before it gets to that point, some may have minor bleeding, some may just have bleeding of the gums, or bruising."

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Also, there are lots of other sicknesses a person could get. It's not like ebola is the only thing people die of.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Even the hospital admits they screwed up:

Oh and by the way, I still haven't found any source that confirms the pregnant woman was taken to an ebola treatment center. Every source says it was simply a hospital. The article I linked above also states that the pregnant woman was the first ebola case in Duncan's neighborhood, so it is definitely a possibility that no one knew she had ebola.

New york times, October first. "The EBOLA WARD AT THE HOSPITAL WAS FULL..."
Also CNN story includes statements from family in Liberia that Duncan was working directly with Ebola patients.

As for the hospital,
Of course they screwed up.
I never said they didn't screw up.
I said everybody blames the hospital but ignores the fact that Duncan didn't didn't give them the truth. He didn't even try to help them not screw up. He withheld vital information and practically guaranteed that they'd screw up.

But blame him for that?
Nope ,nope ,nope. That would be accountability. So politically incorrect. Can't do that.

Just so you know, I'm not under any illusions that hospitals in the US are infallible or that they are even competent most of the time. Hospitals are a cluster at the best of times, especially emergency rooms.
I'm saying that you can't expect hospitals to catch this stuff if the infected people don't give them information.

I'm also saying that those who intentionally bring lethal viruses with them to infect others should be held accountable for their actions and not set up as victims to support political agendas.

This guy should be the poster child for cautionary control of infected across international borders.
In Liberia he's a criminal. The president of Liberia has condemned his actions as unforgivable.

Here in the US, he's just another political tool.
Another anti-accountability hero.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutOmatIc
Exactly, the entire country he was in had/has a massive ebola outbreak. It's all anyone can talk about/worry about. For him to say he didn't know about the ebola outbreak would be as if he were standing next to you, farted really loud, and then tried to blame it on "those damn barking spiders". Ridiculous to the point of being offensive.

reply to: CardiffGiant

Yes, we all know that no one ever gets sick with anything in Africa other than ebola.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: CardiffGiant

people are just trying to lay blame.

this non citizen lied on his exit of his country to come here and get free care.
now the family wants to be paid

Nail on head ....

Pick a prize from the top shelf.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   
just so that there are no misconceptions on wether a person has Ebola.

from this, rash,,

to this,,xcerta.wordpress.com...

in days.

10 too 11 days,,from rash, too open blisters.

ps for anyone brave enough,, ever seen the actuall progresion of Ebola in a patient,,not for the faint of heart.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: BobAthome

Photo of the pregnant African woman's brother, who also died of ebola:

www.nytimes.com... relbias%3Aw

I don't see any rash or blisters. Maybe it's a different kind of ebola.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   

I've found the NY Times article. It does say they tried to get her into the maternity ward first, but were turned away, so they tried the ebola ward. It doesn't necessarily mean that they knew she had ebola - the hospital could have recommended she go there for emergency care. I don't see anything in the article that confirms they (including Duncan) knew she had ebola at the time they took her to the hospital.

Regardless of whether this Duncan guy was an irresponsible scumbag or an innocent good samaritan, the hospital must accept blame for the way they handled his first visit. I'm glad you agree with that.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Ebola presents in several different ways. Some victims have little to no exterior symptoms. Some are a real mess.
The body loses cohesion of the cell walls of capillaries mostly. This causes internal bleeding as well as external.
Shock, organ failure and other complications contribute to death.

A lot of the blood loss is during repeated bouts of diarrhea. The victims sometimes die so fast from blood loss that the visible exterior symptoms don't show.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
medical care is not infallible.
people get diagnosed with one thing only to return to the er the next day all the time.

also, emergency rooms give care on an emergency basis.
if this guy came in saying he had a headache and a slight fever it is not unreasonable to be that he would get sent home.

did he say im from liberia?
or did he say i was in liberia a couple days ago?

lots of what ifs but it is clear this guy was not truthful. answering their questions honestly goes a long way to a correct diagnosis.

also, how do we know he wasnt sent home but told to come back if symptoms dont go away or if they get worse?
anyone who has been to the er knows thats what they tell you.

take these antibiotics and if it gets worse or persists then come back asap.

seems to me like that is what they did.

so whats the problem again?

non citizen liar did not get absolute perfect medical care despite his lies???

oh boo hoo

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I'm still waiting for the CDC test results on the Dallas deputy. Can't find anything on the official site, no news, nothing.
edit on 10-10-2014 by texasgirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   

so duncan and others probably had some sort of clue that the pregnant lady was not simply going through a miscarriage correct?

final stages of ebola and people think it is just a miscarriage?
dont think so

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: CardiffGiant

www.latimes.com...

From the clinic, where she was given an intravenous drip but deteriorated sharply, they were sent to an Ebola treatment unit and then another, at a time when there were no Ebola beds available in the city.

But the Blessing Home Clinic, which examined Marthalene on Sept. 15, had diagnosed malaria, according to staffers. When she started convulsing, they told the family to take her to a hospital.

"Her parents said she never died of Ebola, so everyone in the community went to sympathize," said a furious Martu Weeforo, 37, one of the neighbors on the hill. "Plenty of people came in the yard."

Mekey said his parents left home early Thursday after falling sick a few days ago. He said they had gone to get treatment, but he didn't know where. Their phones were switched off.

Garway, the neighbor, went to an Ebola treatment unit in the John F. Kennedy Medical Center on Thursday, shocked into action by the deaths of his wife and Sonny Boy. Speaking by phone from the treatment unit, he said he and his wife both started feeling odd nine days ago.

"Everybody started getting sick. Everybody started feeling funny at the same time," Garway said. "I am happy I'm among the living."

It is apparently a problem getting people to admit their loved one had Ebola. This is why it is spreading so rapidly. Thomas Duncan rented his room from the parents who also have/had? Ebola. According to LATimes they knew it was something more than a miscarriage.

edit on 10-10-2014 by 2gd2btru because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
My whole argument about the Dallas deputy Monnig having Ebola just collapsed. They recently interviewed him live on local news and he looks okay. He is feeling better, his fever has gone down, but he is still drained. He does have a virus, they just haven't identified which one yet. He expects to be back at work Wednesday.

At least I was right about him having a fever.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: texasgirl
My whole argument about the Dallas deputy Monnig having Ebola just collapsed. They recently interviewed him live on local news and he looks okay. He is feeling better, his fever has gone down, but he is still drained. He does have a virus, they just haven't identified which one yet. He expects to be back at work Wednesday.

At least I was right about him having a fever.

You seem.... disappointed that he doesn't have ebola.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I had just found out about the ebola death when I was sitting in a waiting area. The song "Don't Dream It" by Crowded House came on (it's the underlying song from the TV version of The Stand) -- I must confess that it kinda creeped me out.a reply to: Myomistress

top topics

<< 108  109  110    112  113  114 >>

join