It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 Things About Millennials That Make Corporate America [snip] Its Pants

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

You have to know someone to get in.

Most apprenticeship positions have 1000s of applications in more populated areas, and you can't just get an apprenticeship position anymore some of the. Require prior training now.

In a factory job my cousin has it takes 4-5 years of working at ten $ an hour to get an apprenticeship that takes4 years to complete.

There's about 4 positions in the entire factory and its union so you have to wait your turn. Some people have been waiting ten+ years.

That's 15 years at 10$ an hour. Not worth it imo.
edit on 9/23/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: nenothtu

You are a master of deflection and clever quick witted responses with nothing constructive to add.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: nenothtu

You are a master of deflection and clever quick witted responses with nothing constructive to add.

What are you doing that is so constructive other then complain?

I hate to brake it to you kid but you me and everyone else are nobody's in the big picture we all do what we have to do to survive, it has been and always will be that way so suck it up and worry about yourself.

Easy peazy.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

Engaging in a discussion why are you on this website?

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

You might have the perspective of being a nobody but some of us see a different truth.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Every one else is engaging in the discussion. Just because you don't like their points of view doesn't mean they are deflecting either.

nenothtu does have a point. Every Gen has has something to be angry about. I remember using many of your points in discussions with my Dad back in the seventies when I was a teen.

But as I got older, I do see that he was pretty wise for an old coot. Probably because he remembered using much the same arguments against his father as well.

And the cycle continues.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

He won't answer a question about a point that he brought up that's deflection.

The reason he won't answer is because he'll have to agree with on issues when he's here to be clever and win not to find common ground and work to a conclusion.

Personal responsability has nothing to do with me.

I'm here to discuss larger issues affecting the greater community as a whole.

Being old doesn't automatically qualify you as wise.
There are real issues facing the western world and unless we talk about them and come to conclusions then nothing's going to happen.

My god.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

But what is the common ground? One where you "win" the debate? Where every one concedes to your point of view?

Good luck with that. Most people can't even agree what to have for dinner if asked.
But some one makes it and the others eat it nonetheless.

Myself? I kind of like that about humanity.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Non of you have a real point of view..
Your point of view is personal responsability that's all.

My point of view is let's discuss the topics.

Personal responsability.

It's bigger the one I dividual.

Personal responsability.

It's like the only two words some of you can string together.

Why don't you go to a topic you actually have an I terests in discussing and stop trying to make this about me?

The common ground is the fact that there's no manufacturing base left, more people in prison the. Ever, higher percentage of college graduate debt, and the many other things that have been brought up that the three or four of you won't admit to actually be happening.

But those aren't real issues they are made up fallacies people use to accept failure right?

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

To you, they are issues. To me, they play no real role in my life so I don't worry about them. I can be as empathetic as the next guy, but if I don't take care of me, how can I take care of some one else?

It all begins with personal responsibility.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

originally posted by: Ameilia
The real world of real consequences is going to squash them like bugs.

Not when they become the real world. The oldest generation represent the Old World Order and these kids and many of us not-so-kids are part of the New World Order "they" want you to be afraid of.

They don't think working is stupid because they are lazy; they think working is stupid because it is stupid. Selling your time for money and your health for security is beyond stupid. The illusion of selling your soul to corporations being a godly and patriotic duty is dissolving and not enough people are buying it anymore.

Get paid for the value you provide. Gain security by giving it to each other. When people know the resources we possess as a society and as a planet, it's nearly impossible to enslave them as they were in the past.

I couldn't have said it better myself. This is EXACTLY how I see the Millineal generation. Not lazy. Smarter. The older generations see it as being laziness, because the older generations thought wage slavery and corporate dominion was something to be proud of, and that excessive amounts of work, (not family, friends, loved ones, happiness, health, and spirituality) was the highest virtue in this country. My generation (Generation X) saw this, knew this, understood this, and became cynical, and our work habits started veering from our parents and grandparents, though not enough. We still towed the old party line. And we suffered. Unnecessarily.

So to all the Millineal kids out there, I say only this: ignore these old farts who call you lazy and entitled because you refuse to sell your lives and souls in the pursuit of making someone else rich, or having to screw over others to get there yourselves. They are old. They are bitter. And they are still desperately holding on to a past and Old Order that chewed people up and spat them out once the juices of life had been sucked from them. Don't let corporate America destroy you like it has the generations before you. The world is changing. Don't let anyone dictate to you how those changes are made. The more people who flip their fingers to bosses making more and more demands, the more they will have to change.

I know a lot of Millineal people, and I can say, lazy they are not. They are intelligent, aware, and have enough self respect that they aren't going to let a bunch of old people in suits with money dictate their values and lives.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

No problems will ever get solved without communication and support from the community.

This is what I'm talking about. Until you believe your own words - take them up again from a less hostile and exclusive angle - nothing changes

You said somewhere in this lengthy thread that there 'is no best generation" and that it's arrogant to say so. I happen to agree. So, your entire OP is based on what then? :-)

You want to blame a generation (or two, or 3) for all the ills of the world, and hold their feet to the fire? But this is about more than the millennials - it's not just their plight. The world is in a real spot right now - and it's not just here in the USA. There are older professionals now bagging groceries or living in their cars. You no doubt feel they had their shot - and that this world should now be about opportunities for you. Well - yes, and no

It's no joke that the young people of today are facing something different. It's also no surprise that you are angry - you should be angry

I was struck by this - something you said in an earlier post: I brought it to the table because I'm sick of reading about how lazy and stupid My generation is.

I'm tired of hearing it too. It's complete nonsense - and you guys are an easy target. But before you go all Bolshevik on our asses, from your OP:

We refuse to adhere to work schedules that don’t work. We refuse to allow the corporate culture to suffocate our creativity. We no longer see adulthood as the end of our childhood, but the beginning of something even more liberating. We’re not going to hand our souls over to men in suits or women in pencil skirts. We’re not going to work for companies we don’t respect. We’re not going to wake up every morning dreading the 9-to-5. But we’re not going to sit back and sulk either.

From a post by Aazadan:

Here's the difference. The youth of the 60's eventually had to temper their goals with the fact that they needed to work. They had an easy time of it too for the most part, low inflation the booms of the 80's and 90's, and the lack of a drug war let them be "free thinking" individuals. They had a counter culture movement and some eventually grew out of it. My generation isn't like that, you want to see who will be wearing the suits and ties? We would LOVE to be wearing the suits and ties. We want to start a job in a mail room and be able to work up to CEO. We want actual careers. What we've learned is that these things are gone, the jobs we wanted to do were all shipped overseas and replaced with dead end service sector positions.

It's real hard to not feel screwed over after growing up and being told to goto college, then goto college, then be the biggest victims of an older generations financial collapse, and then learn that all those jobs you went to college to learn to do? Are no longer in the country. It's like ordering a 20 oz steak in a 5 star restaurant then being given a s*** sandwich on stale bread and being told to be glad we got anything at all

I wonder if you can resolve those two conflicting points of view and somehow make them work out as a definitive, working Millennial Manifesto?

This isn't an attack onequestion - it's a sincere question. I'm not sure you're really getting your own argument

Why do you need an enemy? That need is nothing but a crutch - and will only get in the way of any practical solutions

edit on 9/23/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   

I take responsibility for my life my god are you that thick?

I'm doing find. I'm taken care of.

I can multitask.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
in order for people to be personally responsible they have to be provided a means to be personally responsible!

there needs to be jobs available that provide a wage that enables them to do that.
and
they need to have the freedom to chart their own destiny.

I don't know how long you have been visiting these forums but I've been here on and off for quite awhile
the "personal responsibility" crowd used to be much larger! What happened??
Can I take a guess?? Your numbers have been dwindling as the jobs flew off to china or wherever and the shysters on wall street conned more and more people??? Could it be that those used to be proponents of "personal responsibility" came to a very rude awakening that hey they aren't as immune to the economic ups and downs, scams and misfortunes as they thought??
Wages have been either stagnant or going down for quite awhile and the cost of living continually rises! That right there just about guarantees the the "personally responsible" will be less in number next year as they are this year!
I know I know the inflation rate is next to null right!! Take a look at the maximum benefit for food stamps this year compared to a decade ago! or the housing allowance hud provides! or the income limits for these programs! if there hasn't been any meaningful inflation why is it that all of these have increased over the past decade? Why is it that NY City felt the need to offer gov't guaranteed loans for couples making $100,000 a year for childcare?
Preach "personal responsibility" all you want but until the gov't decides it doesn't want everybody taking their handouts and the businesses quite taking those handouts to their employees for granted we are not going anywhere but down!
IF people are to be persoanlly responsible and earn their money to buy what they need they need businesses willing to pay them the money to do this!

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Ah...the personal attack.

Thin skinned aren't you? And not very well equipped to debate something you obviously have no idea about. Those two words that you seem to hate are the basis for living a good life.

I laugh whenever I hear some one complain about the lack of jobs, or their college debt. They signed the dotted line for that loan, not some one else, or they don't want to move to where the jobs are or lower themselves to hard physical labor. I have absolutely zero pity for those people. They made their bed, not me. Their plight doesn't concern me in the least.

I can however empathize with some one who has huge medical bills through no fault of their own.

Any one can multi-task, but I found that those who do, usually do a half-assed job of it.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

In order for someone to take responsibility and build their own business the money has to be available in the first place.

It's not everyone is broke there's no money to spend we're 18 trillion in debt.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Current paradigm:

1. Not enough jobs/high paying job opportunities

Reasons:
part 1: jobs are outsourced to lowest bidder in countries that have even less human-friendly regulations than we do.
part 2: dollar is losing global value as countries mouthwash the taste of American economic dominance for the last 70 years out of their NATO-pounded mouths.

2. How do we fix this?

Well, we either attack these countries and tell them that we want our unsustainable standard of living back or we demand from our politicians that they don't allow corporations to outsource jobs anymore which would lead to more government if they actually listened. But they won't because corporations have more say in politics than the average American does. Anybody who doesn't see it that way tell me who the viable third option was in 2012 (or any other election season in this politically bipolar ridiculous country) or explain Citizen's United in any other way then with truth on their tongue. America is Weekend at Bernie's and the only people who don't see the joke are Americans. We want control back from corporations but can't stop getting food from Walmart, watching AOL Time Warner crap, buying each iteration of gadgets that we don't really need, or consuming massive amounts of oil.

Why can't we American's see that our politicians are actually extremely effective at what we ask of them? They have been protecting our way of life...globally. When they go to bed with corporations whose products we can't stop consuming they are doing exactly what we subconsciously want. Because it's easier to keep this thing on life support and drag it out to the bitter end than to actually consider changing the empty, consumer, unsustainable life we hold so close to our hearts.
edit on 23-9-2014 by SlickMcFavorite because: I'm a codfish

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlaskanDad
The list reminds me of the 60's except the new technologies.

My thoughts exactly. Most of this list is nothing new. For any group to think they're special because they break the rules, etc., that's just silly. This list just means you're human.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

originally posted by: Cuervo

originally posted by: Ameilia
The real world of real consequences is going to squash them like bugs.

Not when they become the real world. The oldest generation represent the Old World Order and these kids and many of us not-so-kids are part of the New World Order "they" want you to be afraid of.

They don't think working is stupid because they are lazy; they think working is stupid because it is stupid. Selling your time for money and your health for security is beyond stupid. The illusion of selling your soul to corporations being a godly and patriotic duty is dissolving and not enough people are buying it anymore.

Get paid for the value you provide. Gain security by giving it to each other. When people know the resources we possess as a society and as a planet, it's nearly impossible to enslave them as they were in the past.

I couldn't have said it better myself. This is EXACTLY how I see the Millineal generation. Not lazy. Smarter. The older generations see it as being laziness, because the older generations thought wage slavery and corporate dominion was something to be proud of, and that excessive amounts of work, (not family, friends, loved ones, happiness, health, and spirituality) was the highest virtue in this country. My generation (Generation X) saw this, knew this, understood this, and became cynical, and our work habits started veering from our parents and grandparents, though not enough. We still towed the old party line. And we suffered. Unnecessarily.

So to all the Millineal kids out there, I say only this: ignore these old farts who call you lazy and entitled because you refuse to sell your lives and souls in the pursuit of making someone else rich, or having to screw over others to get there yourselves. They are old. They are bitter. And they are still desperately holding on to a past and Old Order that chewed people up and spat them out once the juices of life had been sucked from them. Don't let corporate America destroy you like it has the generations before you. The world is changing. Don't let anyone dictate to you how those changes are made. The more people who flip their fingers to bosses making more and more demands, the more they will have to change.

I know a lot of Millineal people, and I can say, lazy they are not. They are intelligent, aware, and have enough self respect that they aren't going to let a bunch of old people in suits with money dictate their values and lives.

QFT. TDawg nor anyone else will respond to this post because they cant.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: SlickMcFavorite

I gave you a star for that post, even though my finite human intellect could not, nor likely ever will, comprehend parts of it, and utterly disagreed with other parts, yet found some "stuff" in it that might be workable, should we ever stop talking and start doing - but humans have a seemingly endless capacity to kill off ideas in committee.

Some things change faster than others, so change itself is not constant, but has currents within the flow, and other things are constant, and will never change, like the rocks that make that current swirl into vortices.

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join