It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 Things About Millennials That Make Corporate America [snip] Its Pants

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 05:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Obviously your disconnected because small websites like ATs are having a powerful impact on mainstream culture all the way to rap music and Hollywood.

Hell even CNN has to change their mos to accommodate.

Your out of touch.

Well of course I am, Young Jedi!

It's not like I've not been doing this for a few years now, popping out thoughts and watching to see where the ripples wash up in the real world...

CNN changed their MOS? Careful - your military is poking out. Better cover that up before someone notices!

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   

a reply to: nenothtu

No why like what is there to be angry about?

There's always something to be angry about - every generation finds SOMETHING to get pissed off about.

Even Jefferson said that the US should never go 20 years without some kind of revolution, and he's a REALLY old fart!

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 05:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv

originally posted by: nenothtu

originally posted by: charlyv
The ides of change are subtle in momentum, but by the time they become noticeable, great change has already occurred.
The need not only justifies the means, but creates it as well. One of the great lessons in History that somehow always seems to surprise us.

Is that a prettier way of saying what I've always maintained - that "history is what happens all around you when you're not looking"?

Yes, but I stretched it out because for some reason, the thought does not seem to come across very well. It is our human nature to fail to comprehend the implications of abbreviated logic. It definitely has something to do with the level of education that the average person has. Blanket statement it is, but relevance justified in the ignorance it obviously exposes. Statistics do not lie.

No, but statisticians do. They spin the stats up to say what the guy paying them wants them to say, or, occasionally, what they themselves want them to say. It's not usually in the raw numbers (although it occasionally is, due to a "faulty" question design intended to "lead the witness"), but in the presentation of them.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Oh, and while I'm here, and thrashing around the You Tubes I found this when I looked up "Silent Running". It's for my dear old dad, that crazy old fart... and for the crazy young farts of now.

Amazing how much smarter and saner my dad, that crazy old fart, got when I started packing on the years.

edit on 2014/9/23 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Corporate america could care less. I got a commerce degree to escape working with my hands. I moved out of my city because of lack of jobs in my field. I came to another more economically secure one and got a job... Working with my hands. My degree is lying on the floor and everytime I get home and look at it I get reminded of how badly i was shafted and lied to by the boomer generation. Thanks a lot. At least I wasnt dumb enough to get into debt, I worked and paid my way through University. And yes, I tried finding work in my field of study. One thing nobody mentioned while I was growing up is that it all comes down to who you know, not how qualified you are. that wouldve been better life advice than go to school and get a degree. Boomer lie. Lets think of why this society is widespread with financial scams? Dont try blaming this on millenials.
edit on 23-9-2014 by Radekus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Someone needs to post the age brackets for all these different groups of people.
I think I must have them wrong.
Ask my kids how many times they heard the worlds "We can't afford it" and come back and tell me how coddled they were or how they had it too good! Heck a warm home wasn't affordable along with alot of stuff that most- even those that were on welfare- took for granted!
Me thinks the coddle/non-coddled could be separated more by way of which side of the tracks you were raised on along with just how lucky you were to hit the welfare goldmine!
I mean we are always hearing about how years ago women didn't have to work and were out of the workforce. Here is the truth of the matter-
The mansions and higher valued neighborhoods had mothers at home. They are also the ones who had the money and influence to get their ideas of a perfect society into the political forums and endosed by laws.
So now boomers are blamed for the downfall of society (heck most of us had as much voice in the gov't as most of the younger generations do now! we were just forced into societal norms that only worked for a small percentage of the more wealthy) and the millennials just pampered and spoiled because they expect a wage that at least gives them a half a chance of surviving on their own and starting a family!

neither stereotype actually fits that many in the groups but hey it diverts the people's attention to pointing fingers at each other instead of actually studying the situation enough to see what is really going on!

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Ameilia

Lol. I have to agree with you ameilia. i really cant figure this generation out. its like they think sense they was gave life to them, they think the world owes them.

Hate to brake the news to them but if you want to eat. your going to need to be productive. you want nicer things be more productive. If you want hands outs. after all they expect everything to be handed to them for free. they have my blessing to live next to the dumpster so they don't need to walk as far to get food.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: St0mP121

and how many productive people do we have working 40+ hours a week and still not being able to venture out on their own?
and we are heading closer to free education being a reality- it's called open courseware. the internet has made it possible- very low cost education for anyone with a gumption to go after it. It's just needs to be developed a little more and well accepted by the society. But it's possible now and would be much cheaper that bussing kids across the city to school not to mention reducing the cost of college!
and heck let's talk a moment about getting paid while learning a trade! There used to be apprenticeships- there still are but you have to hunt for them. They were just much more plentiful in past years. Although I've tried to figure out how you manage to find them and came up short on that end. Dept of labor really doesn't say much about how to find one.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
The Millennials. Lol. They can muster up enough courage and effort to go picket Wall Street but not enough to move out of their parents' basement and find a job or two.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

My sister clued me in to the open courseware work about a week ago. Looks interesting - MIT has some of it rolled out. She's trying to rehabilitate me or something, hasn't figured out that I'm a lost cause. Hope springs eternal, I reckon.

Now about the paid apprenticeships and not being able to find much about them at the DoL - she also told me that paid internships are no more. Said that our Fearless Leader had decided that they take jobs away from someone else, and had them done away with. How true that is, I really don't know, since I've never tried to get one before. She might know what time it is - she works somewhere in the innards of the Pentagon, and that's pretty close to DC, so maybe she's getting news that I'm not, since I avoid televisions, and don't have a pipeline across the beltway any more.

I suppose I'll verify it if I start fooling with that open courseware, since paid internships would go a long way towards promoting that means of education - looks like it's a no-brainer to put them arm in arm... which, now that I think of it, might be reason enough to do away with one or the other, so that it's paired half doesn't catch fire and frazzle some poor administrator's bottom line.

edit on 2014/9/23 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: gentledissident

originally posted by: SlickMcFavorite
could be as simple and rewarding as working 10+ hours in the heat on your own living structure, water catchment system, food development.

Thank you. I meant to bring this up. How do you youngsters feel about making a stand with us? This is how we stop feeding the beast.

I was hoping this resonated with somebody. Thank you for your acknowledgment and a star to you sir/madam.

Let's see if I can sum this up and get us to a forum of solution-oriented discussion. So the older generation has some good "big picture" advice to the tune of personal responsibility but seemingly neglects the reality that the same methods and tactics they used in their era are becoming statistically obsolete. Get an education, don't like your job - get another one, stay debt-free, etc. What to do...

And the younger generation has its share of inside-the-box thinking as well and is also trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Education received - why am I stagnant, fewer jobs - we need more jobs (better politicians, economy, manufacturing, etc). What to do...

We are approaching the bottleneck people, and like any other species on this beautiful blue orb we are being nudged into adaptation, imo. Change is a constant in this universe so do we really think in 2014 we can apply all the same responses that have been used in the last 100 or so years? Where does an infinite growth economy model go when the world is fully networked? Sustainability is where we are being nudged. I believe this because underneath all these human systems we take as time-vetted is the mind of nature that works efficiently, sustainably and quietly. There is no other self-evident way to organize a culture. It has billions of years vs. our thousands. Think about that plz.

So back to the topic at hand and hopefully, also, the harmonizing of the two generations. Community, permaculture, and yeah, some good ol' fashion sweat and personal responsibility. All of our needs can be met and we can stop taking a poo where we sleep or mother is going to rub our noses in Fukushima radiation, trash islands, and endless economy-driven population reduction otherwise known as war. This is where all our problems originate but it's way passed time to get busy. Don't buy the lie that your future is going to look like the shiny future model home in the movies, like some ihouse white-walled borefest. Or that aliens/angels are going to bring free energy so we can continue being oblivious to how the universe handles energy management. We have free energy already and it's that big hot thing in the sky.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi
Try applying to hundreds of jobs a week to the point where you find yourself running out of jobs to apply to, not get an interview for everysingle one, and get back to me you spoiled rugrat. Grow up.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
It all started with the boomers pointing fingers at the youth
Expecting them to make it in the worst economical situation
Since the 1930ies. Theres a problem when you cant even find a minimum wage job.
Good thing I moved to where I can actually survive on my own.
Might even buy a run down house I can fix up because I know how to.
Back in the old city, that was a fantasy. Cheap roach infested appartments were the things one aspired for.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   

I've seen a few unions offering them. But in the 70's it was more like the business would need to have more employees skilled in a certain trade and they would often train some of their employees in that trade. I think that they got a gov't perk for doing it though.
right now we got a bunch of employers whining that they don't have any skilled workers though and alot of the ones they do have are approaching retirement age. Kind of sounds like they could train a bunch of people and not take any jobs from anyone!! But it's easier and cheaper to whine to the gov't I suppose than it is to train some within their own companies to do the work..

My advice to anyone interested would be to check out your local chapters of the different unions but I am not sure if they still pay while you train or if you pay to be trained.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Too greedy to spend the money for training.
Thats a problem Im running into.
If I didnt know a bit of everything on a construction yard
Id be hard pressed to find work there too.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
A buddy of mine spent 5grand on getting his mining papers.
Even the unions failed to find him work.
The cards expired after a year due to not working.
What a scam. Worst part is it was the governments responsibility
To find him work, the government was in court with the unions about
That very topic because the unions were finding ppl work.
Unions won, government branch failed to do their damn jobs.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Radekus

actually I think it's worse than in the 30's
more people were kind of semi independent living off the land for most of their needs and society's expectations were as burdensome!
no days well try moving a chicken into your apartment patio!! ain't gonna happen you'll be lucky if you will be able to plant enough plants to cover a few meals! and of course your home should have a fresh coat of paint every year and your yard should be pristine! And heaven forbid if your boss needs you to come in early and you don't have a phone that you answer on demand!

but as far as I know I am a late boomer and well somewhere between my husband and me things seemed to change. He thinks that it should be easy! ya go find a job he looks in the paper and see all the jobs!
lol..he was set in his career before the reagan years! not me! I know it's not that danged easy! and things like training a workforce shouldn't be considered a profit machine!

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   

I hear you. I'm happy in my little abode. I too am content with what I have, which isn't much. I'm even wanting to downsize even more and get a Park Model home and put it on some out of the way property. The only problem there is the places I would like to move too have ordinances and regulations on what size and type of home you can put on the property. I have absolutely zero use for a McMansion. I just want room to roam, garden, hunt and fish. Those are my wants, which are very simple. (I think anyways)

I do get the anger that many millennials feel as I felt much the same way back in the early eighties. But I then realized that I had set my sights to high as well and lowered them to something more realistic.

I heard the "Needs vs. Wants" debate on the radio when I was in my twenties (I'm 53 now) and it changed my life. Life became simpler and less stressful.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Dood Millennials = Generation 0
take their Fruit toys away & they're lost..

God Forbid a SHTF scenario

my 18 year old niece
was curled up in the fetal position
going through withdrawals
after her fruit fone was broken for a week

Millennials

edit on 9/23/2014 by spoonbender because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: nenothtu

No why like what is there to be angry about?

There's always something to be angry about - every generation finds SOMETHING to get pissed off about.

Even Jefferson said that the US should never go 20 years without some kind of revolution, and he's a REALLY old fart!

Great deflection.

You don't want to respond because your going to have to talk about the same exact issues we are talking about in this thread.

YOU made the observation now give me a strait answer.
edit on 9/23/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join