It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 Things About Millennials That Make Corporate America [snip] Its Pants

page: 30
<< 27  28  29   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

That guys article touched on an interesting point. Those in my generation basically strive for frame. Create a social media brand, get liked, generate comments, try and go viral, and somehow monetize it all to become a rich celebrity.

A lot of people do that, I was sitting in a class the other day and the discussion was on social media... the majority of the class all talked about how it's the gateway to making a person rich and famous. I see this not as a personality trait of my generation but rather a reflection of the hopelessness of the situation much like previous generations used the idea of game shows and lottery tickets... but those were never as big.

People are looking to the quick fix regardless of the odds or even the viability of it because there are no alternatives. What is my generation supposed to work for? Corporations these days will screw you, you can't find a corporation and work for them for 30 years, even the sports teams no longer sign people for a long time they get traded year in and year out.

People are trying to become celebrities because the only people we see as a society that seem to have some money, stability, and constant work are the celebrities.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

People are looking to the quick fix regardless of the odds or even the viability of it because there are no alternatives. What is my generation supposed to work for?
Yourself?
Who did Jobs work for? Who did Gates work for? Who did Branson work for?
You don't have to work for a large corporation. Or you can even build your own. But I know, that's haarrrrd. And risky.

But if you think fame leads to security, you're wrong. Without something to back it up, it's the most fleeting of assets.

edit on 9/27/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

Was any of that even English? Can it be translated into English?

"Warriors" fight bags in your world? Do the bags fight back?

Why do people wonder when us geezers scratch our heads and say "kids these days"?

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Do you run your own business?

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I have. I don't now.

I would recommend that anyone who has the guts go for it. Especially when young. Gives you a chance to clean up the screw ups you will inevitably make. But it is haaarrrd.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

People are looking to the quick fix regardless of the odds or even the viability of it because there are no alternatives. What is my generation supposed to work for?
Yourself?
Who did Jobs work for? Who did Gates work for? Who did Branson work for?
You don't have to work for a large corporation. Or you can even build your own. But I know, that's haarrrrd. And risky.

But if you think fame leads to security, you're wrong. Without something to back it up, it's the most fleeting of assets.

I don't disagree, however most in my generation do. I was simply trying to illustrate some of what has lead people to that mentality. The lack of opportunity makes quick fixes look all the more appealing. It's the same reason why so many poor people buy scratch off lottery tickets.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   

"That mentality" is what I call a lousy attitude. "Man, life sucks. I'm screwed. I know! I'll be a rock star! I'll be famous! Oh wait, learning to play guitar is haaarrrddd. Never mind. I'm screwed."

Some people have it easy and blow it. Some people have it hard and triumph. You think it's a matter of pure luck? Educated luck, maybe. But mostly work. In any case, excuses never got anyone anything. "It's not my fault" never got anyone anything.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

"That mentality" is what I call a lousy attitude. "Man, life sucks. I'm screwed. I know! I'll be a rock star! I'll be famous! Oh wait, learning to play guitar is haaarrrddd. Never mind. I'm screwed."

Some people have it easy and blow it. Some people have it hard and triumph. You think it's a matter of pure luck? Educated luck, maybe. But mostly work. In any case, excuses never got anyone anything. "It's not my fault" never got anyone anything.

I think luck is a big component in success. However you can't just get lucky and be successful, you still have to work hard in order to take advantage of that luck.

Maybe the attitude is lousy, but look at our real unemployment and underemployment rates. The attitude is a product of the job climate.

As far as "It's not my fault" goes, I think president Obama pretty successfully got himself a second presidential term using that exact line. So that's one instance of it working.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

17 doesn't apply to me.

I do have a chip on my shoulder.

But i, ready to fight for what I believe in and it takes some real logic and objective reasoning skills to get me to change my stance.

If you give up easily you won't win with me.

If you resort to emotional responses or attacks I'll simply ignore them.

oh for the love of crap...you win onequestion...you finally got this gen X-er to respond...well done

Are you the same person who posted this?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

You know, that awesome, completely logical and clearly unbiased tripe about how baby boomers should quit or die? That thread about how BB's don't get all that scary technology and don't understand all that scary police state? And you're over here going on and on about how you just literally and unfairly judge and entire generation WITHOUT understanding their plight and then pissed and moaned and begged for logic-filled unemotional responses?

You literally told millions of people they are too stupid to get what the internet is despite it's founding being around and built by men and women who made it before even I was born and I am a generation ahead of you. You told them they don't understand television? I am not even sure that was a serious comment.

Oh but then my favorite part...they don't get the police state. Are you aware of civil disobedience? Are you aware of civil rights and the non violent protests that got black men shot just for standing up for something called equality?

Global politics? How about the unreal fear that Americans had when they thought that just maybe one of two fingers was going to press that darn button? Activism became massive in that era and the 70's only solidified it. And yet somehow you think your 'paradigm' is too much for for those 'old folk' to understand?

I am not saying that generation and mine and even previous generations have not made mistakes but let me cue you into a little of what I see about corporations of today as I am part of the generation who is inheriting them as we speak. You have empires founding no doubt but make no mistake that the so-called lost generation that I am part of, gen X

We continued the battle and fought things that I am not terribly sure the majority of Milleneals remember or can even handle to be frank. We continued the search for dignity and caring and gentleness despite our raucous desire for expansion of the market. At the same time we batled things that your generation are continuing such as bullying, STD's, rape, racial violence and diversity. All these things that I see many of generation Y pretending to espouse, we handed to you and said "take the reins!"

But here's the thing...all of that was handed to us as well. Baby Boomers made it possible for us by preaching freedom and love and unity in the 60's and 70's. See the problem I have with Milleneals and this new generation is the lack of balance I keep seeing. Individuality is very important but it's either smashed in our faces to the point that we have to recognize everyone as winners and denounce any form of competition, or we have to watch our society become so collectivist that nobody is allowed to think outside the herd. We generations before you made our mistakes and you are making yours and the newly (unnamed) generation is going to make theirs too

So what do we do? Sit like you and blame everyone else? Should I blame the Boomers? Why not go farther? How about the Silents? Hell why not the Greatest?

No...what you do is recognize those mistakes, then take a good long look in your mirror and recognize your own...and you build and fix...not sit and whine and point fingers. I'm not saying you aren't allowed to recognize that mistakes were made prior to your time in power, but give it a rest, grow up, and help become the solution because until you generation does (and many of them do) we're just going to carry on being petulant to the point that nothing will ever get solved.

The BB's made mistakes...my gen xers have made ours...and you are starting to make yours...get over it...you are unique and you have you methods to madness but you aren't all the special snowflakes you pretend to be. Be proud of who you are as a generation but don't let that pride get in the way of progress...but I gotta say my friend, that is precisely what I see when I view posts like this one and others

sorry...guess I am just emotional and 'old'

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

I think luck is a big component in success. However you can't just get lucky and be successful, you still have to work hard in order to take advantage of that luck.

One man's "luck" is just another person's determination and will power. Successful people "make" their own luck.

I think you have what it takes Aazadan, i'm not bashing you. Merely pointing out what I have observed personally when it comes to luck. You determine your path in life, others can try to detour you, but you decide.

top topics

<< 27  28  29   >>

join