It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 Things About Millennials That Make Corporate America [snip] Its Pants

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   
a reply to: nenothtu

Affect what you can, don't get bogged down with what you can't. The better you can do for yourself - whatever YOU consider "better" to be, the more you will be able to help others. "Help" starts at home, and that starts with YOU - then expands out to what you can reach, then out to what THEY can reach, ad infinitum - if you do it right, that is.

thats actually pretty good advice

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 03:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Your still not getting it.

Mercenary assassin hit man I don't give a # what you were your story has changed from page to page and your still not getting or understanding what anyone is saying your stuck on the same idea whatever.

Like my title says under my name.

Oh, did I get under your skin?

Sorry 'bout that.

My "story" has been a long one, and pretty fast-paced sometimes. My son says I ought to write a book about it, but hell, who'd bother reading it? Are you still so young that you don't know "stuff happens" over a lifetime? Or are you stuck in the "40 years at the same job and a pocket watch" rut?

Just to expand - just for you - (and maybe just to twist the knife a little... I'm ugly like that) I've been to 4 different colleges, under 5 different curricula, but only graduated one, with a double-major.

I'm slack like that.

During that time, I managed to find ways to work a variety of jobs, usually either between colleges, or, for some of the lower-paying jobs, concurrently with college. I managed to work full time at a crap job at Lowes, and at the same time go full time to a university, and get my studies done. You ain't going to believe this, which is the only reason I'm telling it, but I also managed to stay alcoholically self-medicated most of that time, AND managed to chase women.

Maybe I'm just better at multi-tasking than the average bear, and maybe I'm just slack and shiftless. I don't care which it is, it just is what it is.

Kids these day seriously can only do one thing at a time, and have to do that one thing life-long? that's just sad, dude.

I would take umbrage at the charges of "assassin" and "hit man", but I just don't have the energy or really even the interest to get riled up about it any more. Was a time I would have, but then I figured out that there wasn't any point to getting het up about it. There just ain't no percentages in it, and folks are going to think what they want, and believe what they will.

Pffft.

One thing about that life, career changes, juggling work and school and extracurriculars and whatnot, is that I know how it's done, this thing called life. then again, what does it matter when there's no one to listen? Who's it really going to benefit? Can't teach 'em anything.

Carry on with your bad self then. Wake me up when you get the world saved.

edit on 2014/9/23 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Your still assuming that were talking about ourselves like I said were both doing fine.

Clever words don't makre you right.

yeah, I got it, it got it. I'm old and slow, ya know? You've probably caught up to me catching up by now, though.

One other thing - your assertion that I'm using "clever words" doesn't make me WRONG, either.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Lol.

Your not getting under anything your just not understanding.

Your post twist and turn every time.

You guys keep telling me to take personal responsibility for my life and I keep telling you that I am doing just fine.

Then i want to discuss what's happening with college loans and the job market and you end up back on my having to take personal responsibility again.

Well news flash I've been in the military a professional fighter worked for a tech company been a carpenter been a tarmer whatever that doesn't matter the point is were discussing issues with the economy and how they are impacting the younger generation more then anyone and your only retort is personal responsibility.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 03:11 AM
link   

a reply to: thesaneone

Deal with what?

I just said it multiple times in my last few posts I'm fine. I'm not struggling right now.

I just give a # about what's happening to my community and to my country.

I think I get it just fine.

here's a bit of advice, for free - you'll have more success fixing your community first than you will trying to tackle the whole country right off the bat.

Start small, think big.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   

a reply to: CheeryYellow

Literally they aren't saying anything they keep telling me I need to take responsibility for my life.

But my life is fine I start managing a 130k sq foot year long construction project Thursday that I was just made the foreman of.

I'm hear discussing things that I see happening around me but these fools are so clueless they really just have no idea.

What precisely is it you see happening around you, and why are you here "discussing" it rather than fixing it? Even us fools know that's not how to go about it...

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Hey guess what, the economy took a serious # because of NAFTA which was done through politics.

It's been taking a serious # because we're at war in the Middle East endlessly for over a decade.

It's taking a # because we have an out of control for profit prison system.

It's taking a # because 68% our of economy is low paying service sector jobs.

It's taking a # because 20 year olds have 100's of thousands of dollars in debt and the highest unemployment rate in the country.

It's going to # because wages are not only stagnating but declining.

Inflation.

And hell I'm probably missing everything else.

Those are all national issues.

Local communities are dieing because manufacturing jobs have been moved over seas.

The United states isn't building and investing in its own infrastructure and building anything anymore.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 03:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: nenothtu

Literally they aren't saying anything they keep telling me I need to take responsibility for my life.

But my life is fine I start managing a 130k sq foot year long construction project Thursday that I was just made the foreman of.

I'm hear discussing things that I see happening around me but these fools are so clueless they really just have no idea.

What precisely is it you see happening around you, and why are you here "discussing" it rather than fixing it? Even us fools know that's not how to go about it...

WRONG again.

No problems will ever get solved without communication and support from the community.

And that argument is deflection just because someone is on ATS discussing it doesn't mean they aren't adtive in their local communities.

More strawman

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 03:25 AM
link   

On that, we are in complete agreement - which is why I've strategicallly positioned myself where riots won't matter. I've been expecting them for quite a while, and am amazed at the "resiliency" (to try and be delicate) of Americans. Any other country I've been to would have gone up in flames and revolution long ago. They wouldn't have stood for it, and frequently didn't.

Please explain WHY this would be happening...

Why which? Why other countries would have burnt to the ground by now, or why Americans are just bending over and taking it?

I guess maybe it boils down to the same thing, really - they've still got their fire, and America has been extinguished. Now, that's not on an individual level, because some Americans will still light you up, and some of the others won't do anything but lay down and cry. You gents like speaking in averages, so I reckon it's "on average" - we've lost the critical mass... our mass has gotten way too uncritical. We have become diluted to the point of losing our flavor entirely.

We have iPods. We have iPhones. We have "American Idol" (if that's still on - it's current equivalent if it ain't... I don't get around TVs much). We have "bread and circuses", just like ancient Rome before it's demise. Most Americans just don't want to jeopardize that by lighting anything up that would involve exerting themselves, and, well, maybe having to go without their bread and circuses and various gimmes and geegaws.

Oh look! A butterfly! ...

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Obviously your disconnected because small websites like ATs are having a powerful impact on mainstream culture all the way to rap music and Hollywood.

Hell even CNN has to change their mos to accommodate.

Your out of touch.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 03:26 AM
link   

No why like what is there to be angry about?

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   
All of this conversation has been completely fruitless.

What it comes down to is we can't work together because both age groups think they know better and would rather be right then actually work out the issues and work together.

Every single one of you is part of the problem.

Keep being clever and witty.
edit on 9/23/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   

a reply to: MALBOSIA

You realize that 40% of my generation is under and unemployeed and can't move out of their homes due to ever increasing cost of inflation with constantly decreasing wages?/quote]

IMHO, the underemployment/unemployment problem is the biggest problem your generation will face. Its nearly like we've past the point of peak employment. Automation and robotics are replacing human workers at a frightening pace. I don't know what the answer to that is. It may be case that the best prospects lie in areas of creativity such as the arts and architecture.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
The ides of change are subtle in momentum, but by the time they become noticeable, great change has already occurred.
The need not only justifies the means, but creates it as well. One of the great lessons in History that somehow always seems to surprise us.

Is that a prettier way of saying what I've always maintained - that "history is what happens all around you when you're not looking"?

Yes, but I stretched it out because for some reason, the thought does not seem to come across very well. It is our human nature to fail to comprehend the implications of abbreviated logic. It definitely has something to do with the level of education that the average person has. Blanket statement it is, but relevance justified in the ignorance it obviously exposes. Statistics do not lie.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 03:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: CheeryYellow
a reply to: onequestion

Don't let it get to you, I know lots of old people and they complain about modern life all the time, even when it's just out of emotional frustration and there's no sense to it at all.

When they were our age, I'm sure old people were complaining back then too. When we're old we'll probably be complaining.

Hello, I don't think it's the old folks that are complaining here. We're trying to give some hope and guidance to those who are complaining. We're explaining how we overcame the usual dose of stupid that hits during the teenage years and is intensified by hormones and envy.
If you want the world to be a better place, you have to begin with yourself and work outward.
We're telling you youngsters that the Jimmy Carter era wasn't a cake walk. But apparently the millis with attitudes haven't heard about the Carter years. Mortgage rates were 10% and inflation was the same. Today we've got 20% inflation and 4% mortgage rates. Go figure...there are tough times in each generation.
Every generation has its share of ne'er-do-wells. To make the world a better place, it's your obligation to help out those who aren't capable of helping themselves. It's your duty to teach your children this concept as well.
If you are doing well, take some of your excess and give it to someone who isn't doing as well. Lay a few pictures of dead presidents on a student that you know who is hard working and deserving of a pat on the back in the green way. Mail a grocery gift card to the folks down the street who are struggling.
This constant harping about jobs not being out there is the direct opposite of my experience over the past two years. I'm trained to be an archaeological crew chief. I've been retired for nearly a decade but hardly a month has gone by over the past two years that I don't get a call offering me a job or asking for a recommendation for a crew chief or crew member. If you are young, able and willing to travel for extended periods of time, you can make a really good living and put back a lot of cash. I've watched several do it in the past ten years. They were piling up cash prior to the crash and were able to take advantage of market crash. It takes planning and dedication but once you know what you want, you will find the way.
I was blessed to have parents and grandparents who taught me from an early age that I could have my dreams. I sold my first crop of gourds when I was five years old. My grandfather marched me into the bank and we opened a savings account for me. I was taught to pay myself first and put a bit of that pay aside for a rainy day.
I was blessed a second time when I found a partner for life who shared my views. Having a like-minded partner, one is willing to do what needs doing to achieve the goal makes life a dream.
We're not beating our chest and saying we did it all on our own. We had help. I had lots and lots of help, not much of it was financial but help all the same. And every last one of the people who helped us urged us to "pay it forward" each time we promised to pay it back---sometime.
Now that we're retired and have far more than we ever dreamed possible, we do our best to pay forward on a regular basis. And we pester our legislators---constantly.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 03:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: CheeryYellow

Don't let it get to you, I know lots of old people and they complain about modern life all the time, even when it's just out of emotional frustration and there's no sense to it at all.

When they were our age, I'm sure old people were complaining back then too. When we're old we'll probably be complaining.

Give this one a cigar!

Yup, that's the way it's always been, and the way it always will be - my generation ain't the first to scream "kids these days!" in anguish, nor will it be the last, and yours isn't the first to think "them old farts ain't got a clue what they're yammerin' on about".

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 03:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: ownbestenemy

Sounds like any typical growing pains of any given generation. I am from the cusp of this "generational" uprising. It is the same stuff I heard from my sister (10 years older than I) and my brother.....and my niece (who magically has filled this 30 year generational box)....

Growing pains is all I see. But I do not dishearten them for their passion.

No! Absolutely not! The idea is to throw the spurs to them, piss 'em off, and stir that passion!

"Teach the children quietly

For one day sons and daughters

will rise up and fight

where we stood still"

- Mike and the Mechanics

Mein Gott! I AM an old fart!

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Lol.

Your not getting under anything your just not understanding.

Your post twist and turn every time.

You guys keep telling me to take personal responsibility for my life and I keep telling you that I am doing just fine.

Nah, it's been several posts since I did that - I hear tell you're doing just fine, Jack, and want to save the nation now.

Then i want to discuss what's happening with college loans and the job market and you end up back on my having to take personal responsibility again.

Well, yeah, kinda. These things don't happen in a personless vacuum - they happen to people, and so people have to take responsibility for themselves, and, well, I just assumed you were a person. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that. It's not just "you", it's everyone, but right this instant you are the only "you" in front of me. Once that message sinks in, the "you" that's you can pass it on to yet another "you", and then there will be two "yous" passing it on, then 4, then 8... see where this goes? hell, if I ever get this confounded internet contraption to working, I might even put it out on the internet, and get it out to several hundred "yous".

Wouldn't that be cool, if we had that kind of technology at our disposal? I read about that in a book, probably some kind of science fiction or something. "Books" are things we used to have when I was young - they don't have switches, but still have words all the same, it's almost like magic, they way they work without a charger or anything! But yeah, that internet gizzy, that would be just the ticket! One post, and it could go out throughout the WORLD!

And maybe someone might pay attention...

Well news flash I've been in the military a professional fighter worked for a tech company been a carpenter been a tarmer whatever that doesn't matter the point is were discussing issues with the economy and how they are impacting the younger generation more then anyone and your only retort is personal responsibility.

I dunno what in the devil a "tarmer" is - probably some iPad autocorrect thingy of some concept I'll never have the intellectual wherewithal to fathom, but my point is, don't feel like the Lone Ranger - your peers are not the first to experience that, nor will they be the last. We had inflation in the double digits to handle, Ay-rabs trying to cut off our gasoline and we couldn't take Betty Lou on a date on our bikes, dude! guys in green outfits were coming around trying to shanghai fine young men, kidnap them into wars - and the gummint BLESSED that kinda misconduct! and somehow we managed to survive it. There is nothing new under the sun. I can't even figure out why it's supposed to impact this generation any harder than anyone else, other than the fact that they've not yet learned to deal with it. Others survived it, you will too... and in that surviving, there is wisdom to be found.

Just, for God's sake, don't try to pass it on to your kids! They'll think you're just another crazy old fart who tends to talk to himself!

Hell, my dear old dad used to have to 'splain to me - over and over again 'cause he was just a crazy old fart - something about a "expression" or a "distraction" or a "inspiration" or something like that. Claimed that he had to live through it in the 30's, and ate squirrels and icky stuff like that, and had to make every shot count, 'cause there wasn't enough money to buy TWO shells for ONE squirrel, and how he had 11 brothers and sisters to have to feed off of that sort of thing, and how he used to have to saddle the teacher's horse for her, and, well, just crazy old fart stuff like that.

His point was, he managed. My point is, your generation will, too.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Hey guess what, the economy took a serious # because of NAFTA which was done through politics.

Repeat after me: "thank you Bill! may I have another?" That's the sort of thing I used to work against. We lost. On the the next. Now it's that economically unsustainable monstrosity of Obamacare. we lost again. On to the next.

It's been taking a serious # because we're at war in the Middle East endlessly for over a decade.

Repeat after me: "thank you, George! may I have another?" I was against half of that, too (the Iraq half). we lost again, they went to war anyhow, and they mismanaged the beejesus out of a war by trying to make it politically pretty. So we lost that one, too. On to the next.

It's taking a # because we have an out of control for profit prison system.

Why's that? Because we have too many "workers" under lockdown? That looks to me like it would be a good thing, what with job availability apparently being what it is. maybe it's because they had to give up the "you don't work, you don't eat" ethos, and farm out the catering? Yeah, I reckon that could get pretty expensive pretty quick.

It's taking a # because 68% our of economy is low paying service sector jobs.

See above, ref: "NAFTA" and the like. You're considering that a separate issue? I think they are inextricably linked, tighter than a marriage. get rid of one, the other vanishes, too.

It's taking a # because 20 year olds have 100's of thousands of dollars in debt and the highest unemployment rate in the country.

Not my problem - THEIR folks should have taught them about "debt", not me. I had my own to raise, and God knows my generation ought to have learned the lesson to pass on about "debt". I did, but the Joneses evidently fell behind on that. You know how to cure it? Don't borrow, watch the bankers start lowering rates and begging for business when their belts get too tight to suit them.

It's going to # because wages are not only stagnating but declining.

So don't work for # wages, and watch those wages come up when Mickey Manager has to do everything all by his DAMNED self!

Inflation.

yeah, I remember what "inflation" was like back in the day. Sucks, don't it?

And hell I'm probably missing everything else.

One bite at a time - that's how you eat an elephant. grab what you can chew, and chew on it. No need to try to swallow everything at once - those other problems will come up when it's their turn, as you shoot the ones you've got in your sights down.

Those are all national issues.

"nations" are made up of "communities" which are made up of "people" Start small, think big. Ripples, baby!

Local communities are dieing because manufacturing jobs have been moved over seas.

We'll have to differ on that, I suppose. I think they're dying because the outgrew their usefulness, got too big to sustain themselves, and the job migrations were just the catalyst. Some of them (*cough* Detroit *cough, cough*) priced themselves out of jobs. Fear not, the unions will eventually get around to organizing in China, and then jobs will migrate back here, because by then Americans will work for nothing again.

The United states isn't building and investing in its own infrastructure and building anything anymore.

Why would we? Everything is gone overseas that justifies "infrastructure". The only thing we really export any more are dollars, which we print up by the boatload, so that we can drive the price of them down. It doesn't take many people to print up a crap-ton of dollars... but when we go Weimar, it'll take several people to carry a single paycheck's worth of them out of the bank, and THERE is a job opportunity!

Have you ever considered working overseas? "Follow the money", they say...

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 05:26 AM
link   

WRONG again.

No problems will ever get solved without communication and support from the community.

"The community".

What are "communities" made of again? Where does that "support" have to start? A "community" is just an abstract entity, a collection of something else. it has nothing at all on it's own to give. it doesn't even have independent existence on it's own. It has to get something from somewhere before it has any support to give.

It's a pity that I'm not in that community, because I can't figure out why you're talking to me about it. Doesn't your community have any old, used up farts of it's own?

And that argument is deflection just because someone is on ATS discussing it doesn't mean they aren't adtive in their local communities.

More strawman

What?

Millennials CAN multitask?

Is it then that they just think us old farts never could, that millennials invented the concept or something?

new topics

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join