It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billions of pounds wiped from value of Scottish firms after yes vote

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

After 8 years in Scotland I still use all the lingo and always use the word "Aye" instead of yes. It confuses folks with a Londoner speaking with Scottish Lingo.

I love Scotland, I was there when Scotland played France and the whole country were celebrating together, a week later an Old Firm match took place and it was like "Chalk and Cheese" and back to the same old same old. I was always asked which team I supported by taxi drivers and customers and always declined to answer. I only experienced the anti English vibe during the World Cup but can imagine its rife at the moment.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

You know what man thats got absolutely nothing to do with it
there is no sectarian element at work here dont say there is when there is absolutely no evidence that there is.

Give me some proof and I will consider this conspiracy but until then its just a reach
I've seen plenty rangers fans , protestants who want independence and plenty cetlic fans and catholics who want to stay in the union

A hink yer talkin p1sh lol

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: flammadraco

well mate you should have developed some baws during yer stay up here and said that rangers and celtic are both absolute gash!

taxi drivers can get telt to shut it if they start talking rubbish aboot fitbaw or the weather, your a taxi driver no a talk show host ! hahah

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82
BBC caught red handed editing out Alex salmonds response to Nick Robinsons question
saying that he didnt answer the question

absolutely shocking by the BBC

SNP former deputy leader Jim Sillars caught red handed threatening and bullying big business and threatening to nationalise British Companies for not backing Yes Vote.

The former deputy leader of the Scottish nationalists has threatened a 'day of reckoning' for businesses that have spoken out against independence. SNP grandee Jim Sillars lashed out after a host of banks, finance firms, supermarkets and retail giants warned about the dangers of separation. Mr Sillars said oil giant BP would be nationalised 'in part or in whole' while bankers and big business chiefs would be punished for 'being in cahoots' with the Tories.

Absolutely shocking by SNP
edit on 12.9.2014 by flammadraco because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   

well mate you should have developed some baws during yer stay up here and said that rangers and celtic are both absolute gash!

taxi drivers can get telt to shut it if they start talking rubbish aboot fitbaw or the weather, your a taxi driver no a talk show host ! hahah

Developed some "baws" you kidding. Why should I have to answer any such question when the real reason was to find out "which camp I was in".

There is an element of sectarian in this referendum, both between the Catholics and prods and Scottish and English. If you cannot see this, then you are either wilfully ignoring the fact or wearing rose tinted classes.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: flammadraco

Unfortunatley, IMO this is more a protest vote than anything else, the sad thing is, if the yes vote wins, it cannot be changed in five years time like an election, the Scots will have to live with their decision for generations to come.

A case of be careful what you wish for .......

Could very well end up as a case of out of the frying pan - and into the fire!!

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Aye Jim is a politician and not the BBC there is a difference between the media being biased on the referendum and a politician threatening a business

It reeks of collusion between the UK government and the BBC trying to downplay the yes campaign , the BBC are meant to be unbiased journalists when they are clearly not.

I dont care what Jim has said , he wont be in power come our first general election in a new Scotland.
I didnae think you'd be so touchy it was only a question about football , still you didnae have to answer at all , the guy was likely just bored trying to make conversation either that or charge you more or less for the taxi journey.

Once again where is the element of sectarian , show me some evidence now that you have made the claim?
im not ignoring any fact, as you have yet to prove this is indeed a fact
saying that im about to willfully ignore your daft comments about sectarianism in the referendum unless you provide something substantial

but its just banter man , im no really bothered about it , I've already made my decision and sticking to it and no matter what anyone tells me now its still OCHT AYE !

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

Lets be real here this isn't fairytale land , wishes dont come true, if anything its out of the frying pan for westminster and into the fire !

I tell you one thing thats getting burnt a huge effigy of david cameron on independence day

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

You haven't a clue what you're talking about, you say things don't exist when they obviously do and I've experienced first hand. But you live in cuckoo land and believe what you want and what the SNP are spoon feeding you.

If you're the typical yes voter and win next week then god help Scotland.

I'm done here, it's getting nauseating!

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   

You haven't a clue what you're talking about, you say things don't exist when they obviously do and I've experienced first hand. But you live in cuckoo land and believe what you want and what the SNP are spoon feeding you.

If you're the typical yes voter and win next week then god help Scotland.

I'm done here, it's getting nauseating!

Yeah, everything will collapse. how can a Nation of 5.5 million people with Oil and Gas reserves, World leader in renewable energy, some of the top Universities in the world, Leaders in Science and Medicine survive in this world etc etc...Whatever Man.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:26 AM
link   

BBC caught red handed editing out Alex salmonds response to Nick Robinsons question
saying that he didnt answer the question

absolutely shocking by the BBC

SNP former deputy leader Jim Sillars caught red handed threatening and bullying big business and threatening to nationalise British Companies for not backing Yes Vote.

The former deputy leader of the Scottish nationalists has threatened a 'day of reckoning' for businesses that have spoken out against independence. SNP grandee Jim Sillars lashed out after a host of banks, finance firms, supermarkets and retail giants warned about the dangers of separation. Mr Sillars said oil giant BP would be nationalised 'in part or in whole' while bankers and big business chiefs would be punished for 'being in cahoots' with the Tories.

Absolutely shocking by SNP

A 'day of reckoning'??? Oh, that sounds reassuring. Menacing as well.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Plus the largely unknown and unacknowledged power Scotland has in the world. My source is extraordinarily well informed, I'm backing this as fact without knowing anything about it myself. Time will tell.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: kitzik

You're right. I should have said many generations.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   

The orange order march in Edinburgh today could be regarded as sectarianism. I don't think it will sway many voters, in fact it may have the opposite effect. I heard that there was a banner held up by the fans at Ibrox and the manager has already expressed his views supporting the no campaign. All of that comes as no surprise to anyone.

The fear campaign has increased it's tempo too. I see Sillars has come out and warned the banks, business and BP that their efforts to undermine this referendum will not be forgotten. Good for him.

If we lose the vote for independence I cannot see the issue going away anytime soon. Too many are calling for change.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Banks have reported major outflow because of the referendum.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

So far this year the UK has experienced a net $206bn (£127bn) outflow, as money available for financial investment left the country. In 2013, a net $63bn (£39bn) flowed into the nation’s economy.

The data came as a number of the world’s leading investment banks ratcheted up their warnings of the potential consequences of Scotland breaking away.

Deutsche Bank said on Friday: “A Yes vote for Scottish independence on Thursday would go down in history as a political and economic mistake as large as Winston Churchill’s decision in 1925 to return the pound to the Gold

Standard or the failure of the Federal Reserve to provide sufficient liquidity to the US banking system, which we now know brought on the Great Depression in the US.”

US investment bank JP Morgan also added its weight to the growing expressions of concern coming from the world’s most authoritative financial institutions by saying that a Yes vote could punish the rest of the UK’s economy, as well as forcing the Bank of England to delay any rise in interest rates by around three months.

Uncertainty “will cause some households and corporates to delay their capital spending decisions”, said JP Morgan analysts.

If an independent Scotland were to take its share of the UK’s debt, on a per capita basis, it would be left with a debt burden of around 84pc of GDP, according to analysis by UBS economists.

That weight would likely become heavier, as UBS sees Scotland suffering a contraction of around 5pc if it votes for independence, with its debt-to-GDP ratio rising to 88-89pc.

Refusing to take any share of the UK’s debt burden seems highly unlikely. Edinburgh would be faced with a burden that was “a lot more than 0pc”, said Paul Donovan, of UBS.

The warnings of the financial implications of Scotland breaking away came as three chief executives behind some of the most recognisable names in the UK’s retail industry weighed into the debate.

In an article for Scottish newspaper the Daily Record, Sir Ian Cheshire, of B&Q-owner Kingfisher, Marc Bolland, chief executive of Marks & Spencer, and James Timpson, of cobbler and key-cutter Timpson, set out the impact a Yes vote would have on consumers north of the border.

“We are concerned about the greater complexity of trading across a national border coupled with the uncertainty over big issues such as the single currency and membership of the EU,” they wrote, having praised Scotland as “the home of great products and produce, brands that are famous the world over and a workforce as hard working and dedicated as anywhere”.

“Within our group there is first-hand experience of trading across national borders – in France, Ireland and across the world. Our experience is that it always leads to more red tape and higher costs and we feel it is important to share this experience.

edit on 13-9-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Maybe we should have just skipped the democratic process on how to become a Independent country and went straight for the US, Irish model instead.
Just remember all you people in here who are appalled and disgusted that we/us little Scots have the audacity to even attempt to become a "stand on it's own two feet Nation" without the need for Mother England to spoon feed us..

There was other options available.

Maybe you would have preferred us to go down that route then you all could really have something to bitch about.?

More English than Scots in this forum are getting their knickers in a twist over the issue.
edit on 13-9-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
Maybe we should have just skipped the democratic process on how to become a Independent country and went straight for the US, Irish model instead.
Just remember all you people in here who are appalled and disgusted that we/us little Scots have the temerity to even attempt to become a "stand on it's own two feet Nation" without the need for Mother England to spoon feed us..

Maybe you would have preferred us to go down that route then you all could really have something to bitch about.?

More English than Scots in this thread getting their knickers in a twist over the issue.

(Raises eyebrows) Well pardon us for asking if the 'Yes' campaign isn't being over-optimistic. The fact that Jim Sellars has now claimed that his menacing comments yesterday were some kind of attempt at getting publicity (he's not fooling anyone) should speak volumes about his character.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

Just remember all you people in here who are appalled and disgusted that we/us little Scots have the temerity to even attempt to become a "stand on it's own two feet Nation" without the need for Mother England to spoon feed us..

More English than Scots in this thread getting their knickers in a twist over the issue.

(Raises eyebrows) Well pardon us for asking if the 'Yes' campaign isn't being over-optimistic. The fact that Jim Sellars has now claimed that his menacing comments yesterday were some kind of attempt at getting publicity (he's not fooling anyone) should speak volumes about his character.

Link to the "FACT" of what Jim Sillars claimed to be a publicity stunt....Please.

And are you English?....Last thing i saw you post was a Bigoted comment about the English. spoke volumes about YOUR character .

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

Link to the "FACT" of what Jim Sillars claimed to be a publicity stunt....Please.

And are you English?....Last thing i saw you post was a Bigoted comment about the English.

I'm Welsh. As you know. Why would you infer that I'm English?

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

Now ay, Scotland and Wales, stop fighting....don't make big brother England get between you! (think about it, think about it...lol).

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join