It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billions of pounds wiped from value of Scottish firms after yes vote

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth
a reply to: EvillerBob

It is contrary to EU regulations and also the UK government said no so it is illegal.

That doesn't make it illegal at this stage. It means that it would be in contravention of the EU rules if they were part of the EU - which I think is far from guaranteed.

If they become independent then there is no legal basis to prevent them using the currency unless they are trying to conform with EU legislation in anticipation of an application to join.

The UK saying "yes" or "no" simply refers to whether they would provide Scottish banks with the same financial backing as they currently receive. The UK can be unhappy but that's about it at this stage.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82...good riddance to westminster and the corruption

We never change the corruption in politics, we only ever change it's flavour.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Sharing currency with the UK isn't an option, the UK won't allow it, so if they tried it would be illegal. Also if they tried using it it would be non attached to the UK as they need an independent currency for joining the EU, so using sterling isn't an option for them.

bastiat.mises.org...

Olli Rehn, vice president of the European Parliament and former commissioner for economic and monetary affairs, said in a letter to chief secretary to the Treasury Danny Alexander the use of sterling in Scotland is prohibited unless Westminster grants explicit permission. All three main political parties have already refused to allow Scotland to retain the pound

edit on 12-9-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

this may well be true , but it's about time we had a wee enlightenment , people have woken up from a really long day dream and now is the time for Scotland to create something of worth a new model.

We are pretty good at inventing things our history shows this, we take risks and we prosper
gee us half a chance and we will show ye it can be done

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

True but how many of those that want the independance are actually of Catholic Irish Extraction Rather than Scot's Presbyterian's, not to take a knife to it but since I am personally descended from both camps it is worth pointing out there is a definite Sectarian element at work here, remember Ranger's Vs Celtic anyone.
edit on 12-9-2014 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

After living and working in Coatbridge for eight years, I completely agree with your comments, they are spot on. Moved away three years ago and still visit regularly and the Anglophobia is disgusting at the moment.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767

True but how many of those that want the independance are actually of Catholic Irish Extraction Rather than Scot's Presbyterian's, not to take a knife to it but since I am personally descended from both camps it is worth pointing out there is a definite Sectarian element at work here, remember Ranger's Vs Celtic anyone.

like in years gone past the Protestant would vote conservative and the Catholic would vote labour...Conservatives cant buy a vote up here now. People's political views and allegiances have changed.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

like in years gone past the Protestant would vote conservative and the Catholic would vote labour...Conservatives cant buy a vote up here now. People's political views and allegiances have changed.

Where did the Tory vote mostly go to? Or is it still there but spread out a lot?

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

I hope that is true, that old sectarianism was an evil flaw in any society, still I remember a Glasgow story about a guy walking home from work, he had not even been to the match and a guy stuck his head out of a window asking if he knew what team had won, since he had heard it on the radio he told him that Celtic had won which drove the guy who had asked into a mouth foaming frenzy and he leaped out of the window and floored the poor whom he had asked.
A minor incident among many but even down in liverpool as recently as the 1970's the catholic and protestant kid's would stone one another's school buses in the morning in some area's.
Those days have only faded as true foreigners have pushed them together and demonstrated just how alike and foolish they were back then cutting there own nosed off to spite there own faces.
I Just wish the best for the Scot's but it still hurts.
And traditionally all scot's had been catholic until the first world war, when the irish broke away there lad's went home and for hundreds of years the Scot's and Irish had fought together but suddenly the Scot's felt betrayed, some regiments of mainly Irish soldiers were left with only a few scot's trying to defend entire section of trench, needless to say those scot's died out there and the Scot's never forgave the Irish for that, many formerly catholic Scot's became Methodist and Presbyterian over night and this divided scotland.

edit on 12-9-2014 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   

You talk in past tense, the sectarianism is alive and well between Coatbridge and Airdrie. I've lived in Republic of Ireland and Wales and only ever saw sectarianism in Scotland. I had customers who would not take free gifts if they were green, blue or orange. I kid you not. Sad state of affairs and I agree that Celtic supporters will most likely vote yes and the Rangers supporters will most likely vote no, IMO.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: flammadraco

I saw the debate was going stale so thought well why would so many scot's who are not stupid vote for something that may actually harm them and there kid's and Sectarianism was the number one contender in the argument, it is not dead as you say and like the Irish the Scots are still very Clannish, if not so much about name about where they come from and how they see themselves, the Scot's have very long memory's indeed, when they are good they are very good people but when Bad or there is bad blood between us Well?, sad but true though most scot's are sensible and intelligient people these days when the going get's tough how will that change back to a divided society and is that one possible future in which economic gloom is a short term certainty, short term meaning job loss, home loss and poverty for many while others will get very very rich out of it just like always.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Unfortunatley, IMO this is more a protest vote than anything else, the sad thing is, if the yes vote wins, it cannot be changed in five years time like an election, the Scots will have to live with their decision for generations to come.

I really hope if the No vote wins that Salmond resigns immediately and stays out of politics. He comes across as a right slime ball and no different to what's in Westminster.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I was born and raised in South Wales and we fought the Catholic school the same as we fought the school from the next estate, none of us gave a toss about religion, it was about schools, kids BS.
The religious sectarianism in Scotland is something I am glad Wales has never really been in to...lame and immature at best, Welsh blokes are more likely to fight over 'winner stays on' rules when playing pool at the pub than religious differences, oh and Swansea/Cardiff of course...I'm from Swansea.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

a reply to: [post=18406602]Soloprotocol[/

And traditionally all scot's had been catholic until the first world war, when the irish broke away there lad's went home and for hundreds of years the Scot's and Irish had fought together

That's not entirley a true reflection of history. The influx of Irish Catholics during the potatoe famine into Scotland caused a lot of animosity. Read up on the history of Paddys Market in Glasgow, very interesting.

Coatbridge is predominatly Catholic with history tracing back to the potatoe famine. The Prodesants to this day march through Coatbridge and other catholic parts of Glasgow with "Orange Order Marches", celebrating the battle of Boyne in the 1600's which was catholic and prodesants battle. With that in mind the conflicts between the two has been going on since the 1600's and not since the 1st World War.
edit on 12.9.2014 by flammadraco because: (no reason given)

edit on 12.9.2014 by flammadraco because: My spelling is so bad :-(((

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I was shocked it existed at all within the British Isles. I believed it was just Northern Ireland with this issue.

Edit - I lived in Cardiff and did Experiance Anglophobia, but it was during the World Cup so all was forgiven.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth

Sharing currency with the UK isn't an option, the UK won't allow it, so if they tried it would be illegal. Also if they tried using it it would be non attached to the UK as they need an independent currency for joining the EU, so using sterling isn't an option for them.

bastiat.mises.org...

Olli Rehn, vice president of the European Parliament and former commissioner for economic and monetary affairs, said in a letter to chief secretary to the Treasury Danny Alexander the use of sterling in Scotland is prohibited unless Westminster grants explicit permission. All three main political parties have already refused to allow Scotland to retain the pound

I feel we may be going in circles. To be illegal, it has to be against the law in your jurisdiction. In the same way that Scotland can't demand the arrest of a man in Texas for owning a handgun, the EU could not demand that an independent Scotland follow laws that only apply to EU members.

The UK also would lack jurisdiction to prevent trading in the currency. The UK can make whatever they like legal or illegal, it would have no power to bind an independent Scotland whatsoever.

If Scotland joins the EU then they will be subject to that law, so then it would become "illegal". Mind you, if they join the EU then they will almost certainly join the Euro as well, rendering the point moot.

If Scotland does not join the EU, then it doesn't make a single bit of difference what the European Parliament says about the matter, they have absolutely no authority over countries that are not members. Scotland could use Pound Sterling, the US Dollar, or Crinkley Bottom Groats if it wished.

Now, whether the EU might restrict its members from trading with Scotland in Pound Sterling is another matter. I have no idea whether they are currently in a position to do that. If they do, then this could effectively force Scotland to comply by cutting access to major markets. Effectively a boycott.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I was shocked myself many years ago, I only realised that any Scots had issues with English people (just for being English) when I moved to England and met Scots at the pub who thought because I was Welsh then I maybe felt the same...I didn't. They were more often than not surprised about that.

The whole sectarianism thing is a concern to me about a slim yes or no vote next week though.
I hope everyone continues to play nice regardless of the result.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

I grew up in Scotland and the sectarianism is an aspect of Scotland that I despised and certainly do not miss.

I also do not miss hatred for the English and was subjected to reading it on facebook from people in Scotland. I now mostly avoid facebook.

I have lived in England longer than I ever lived in Scotland, more than 25 years, and my accent is slightly English and was chided for it when visiting Scotland.

A lot of English people in Scotland have felt the need to move recently according to news reports as they were being harassed.

The referendum has brought out the worst of some of Scottish bigotry and fantasy nationalism.

I read that the sports, especially football clubs would be financially doomed also, that would sway votes there for sure!
edit on 12-9-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Sterling is the UK currency and if the government deems they cannot share our currency then so be it.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
BBC caught red handed editing out Alex salmonds response to Nick Robinsons question
saying that he didnt answer the question

absolutely shocking by the BBC

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join