It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov. Jay Nixon signs exec. order to send Missouri National Guard to Ferguson

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: OptimusCrime

Wrong, you don't need a permit to protest.
Again, doses the first say that you have the freedom as long as you have a permit?

I'm reading this right from the ACLU website.

What about permits?

Do I need a permit before I engage in free speech activity?

Not usually. However, certain types of events require permits. For example:

A march or parade that does not stay on the sidewalk, and other events that require blocking traffic or street closure;
A large rally requiring the use of sound amplifying devices; or
A rally at certain designated parks or plazas.
Many permit procedures require that the application be filed several weeks in advance of the event. However, the First Amendment prohibits such an advance notice requirement from being used to prevent protests in response to recent news events. Also, many permit ordinances give too much discretion to the police or city officials to impose conditions on the event, such as the route of a march or the sound levels of amplification equipment. Such restrictions may violate the First Amendment if they are unnecessary for traffic control or public safety, or if they interfere significantly with effective communication to the intended audience. A permit cannot be denied because the event is controversial or will express unpopular views.

If organizers have not obtained a permit, where can a march take place?

If marchers stay on the sidewalks and obey traffic and pedestrian signals, their activity is constitutionally protected even without a permit. Marchers may be required to allow enough space on the sidewalk for normal pedestrian traffic and may not maliciously obstruct or detain passers-by.

edit on 8/18/2014 by OptimusCrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure it's illegal to throw the tear gas back at the cops. That is basically an assault on a police officer any way you cut it.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Sure if you want to CYA and make sure some one doesn't come and disturb it then yes get a permit.
But if you want to protest, you can protest.
I would say the only exception would be going on to private property but streets would not fall into that category

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Myrtales Instinct
I'm pretty sure it's illegal to throw the tear gas back at the cops. That is basically an assault on a police officer any way you cut it.

Why should they enjoy special treatment and get to assault civilians?
We can do this number all day long

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Sure if you want to CYA and make sure some one doesn't come and disturb it then yes get a permit.
But if you want to protest, you can protest.
I would say the only exception would be going on to private property but streets would not fall into that category

Yes they do and as much as you don't want to admit it, you're wrong. I just quoted you directly from the ACLU Website and you still aren't man enough to admit you're wrong.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: EyesOpenMouthShut

Why should they enjoy special treatment and get to assault civilians?
We can do this number all day long

You're not serious are you? Lol I'm pretty sure that the disregarding and lack of respect of the law is what started this whole mess.

edit on 18-8-2014 by Myrtales Instinct because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Yes they do and as much as you don't want to admit it, you're wrong. I just quoted you directly from the ACLU Website and you still aren't man enough to admit you're wrong.

A permit isn't required after a recent news event. People have the right to protest after the sun goes down, might not be the best idea but they have the right to protest. Obviously I'm talking about the protesters not the small faction of looters.

This is straight from the ACLU website:

A march or parade that does not stay on the sidewalk, and other events that require blocking traffic or street closure;
Many permit procedures require that the application be filed several weeks in advance of the event. However, the First Amendment prohibits such an advance notice requirement from being used to prevent protests in response to recent news events.

Know Your Rights: Demonstrations and Protests

edit on 18-8-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: eta

edit on 18-8-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: Et

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   

That is like saying if you tried to punch me and missed and broke your hand
I should be the one arrested for assault.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Myrtales Instinct

I am as serious as a heart attack

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jennyfrenzy

A permit isn't required after a recent news event. People have the right to protest after the sun goes down, might not be the best idea but they have the right to protest. Obviously I'm talking about the protesters not the small faction of looters.

Many permit procedures require that the application be filed several weeks in advance of the event. However, the First Amendment prohibits such an advance notice requirement from being used to prevent protests in response to recent news events.

Know Your Rights: Demonstrations and Protests

I'm not denying any right to protest. What I am saying is you can't continue to block streets and business for a week straight, disrupting the rest of the public. Did you read the ACLU Website, it really breaks it down pretty well.

Edit to add: It's been a week now, it's no longer recent.
edit on 8/18/2014 by OptimusCrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

A permit is not needed for a recent news event, that's the statement I was replying to.

Not recent! So what's the timeframe for recent then? A week is recent.
edit on 18-8-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: Eta

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Here is a good video showing a lot of the chaos. Looks like a warzone out there. ~$heopleNation

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Myrtales Instinct

maybe you misunderstand me.
I'm all for stopping the few that are committing crimes, actual crimes
But when they punish the many because of the few, that's morally wrong

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jennyfrenzy

A permit is not needed for a recent news event, that's the statement I was replying to.

It has been a week now, it's no longer recent and you can't continue to block the flow of traffic and business operations from the general public. I can see the next day, then you organize the protest so it's not harming anyone else.

Would you like to have people up all hours of the night in front of your house for a week straight with bullhorns, yelling and screaming. It's been enough time to move the protest somewhere else, the point has been made. That's why this keep escalating.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Taggart

That is like saying if you tried to punch me and missed and broke your hand
I should be the one arrested for assault.

Oh come on, Taggart -it is not and you know it.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Im not wrong, it is not my fault the ACLU is scared to stand up for rights and puts out messages like that.
No where does it say a permit is required to protest in the first, it also doesn't specify that you need to protest in certain areas. Find me that and I will admit I am wrong. Constitution beats the ACLU all day and twice on sunday.
Also in live feeds, which i wonder if you have bothered to watch yet, they were letting traffic thru.
Show me the traffic not being let through please.

edit on thMon, 18 Aug 2014 17:18:46 -0500America/Chicago820144680 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: EyesOpenMouthShut

And your chance of having one is more likely to happen before the vast majority of people will agree with you that it's okay to assault police officers.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Im not wrong, it is not my fault the ACLU is scared to stand up for rights and puts out messages like that.
No where does it say a permit is required to protest in the first, it also doesn't specify that you need to protest in certain areas. Find me that and I will admit I am wrong.

Constitution beats the ACLU all day and twice on sunday.

OHHH, now it's the ACLU's fault. Here we go! You're wrong, the law is the law and if you don't like it go protest and block a street for a week and make sure you bring a lawyer and don't call the ACLU to help you since they're scared.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   

a reply to: EyesOpenMouthShut

And your chance of having one is more likely to happen before the vast majority of people will agree with you that it's okay to assault police officers.

Whoa! . i never said it's ok to assault police officers.
FYI i'm very much against it. Please don't put words in my mouth

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

It's a recent unresolved news event. I'm not sure how this doesn't qualify as recent. Since my response was in regards to your statements about protesters needing permits, they don't.

If I lived in Ferguson, I would be one of the protesters, so no I wouldn't mind. Protesters are not Looters. As there's a curfew it would not be at all hours.

Not trying to argue back and forth about this. Just correcting the statement about permits.
edit on 18-8-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: spelling

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join