It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas GOP endorses ‘treatment’ for homosexuality

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: smithjustinb

We lack any good evidence as to why homosexuality is a mental disorder. But it is clear that something is wrong. According to our current standards of how a mental disorder gets classified, though, it is hard to classify. But clearly, something is wrong. Clearly
Nevermind that homosexuality has occurred throughout all of recorded history, both in humans and other animals.....

That's why all I'm saying is we need to do more research in finding out what it is and then develop treatment for those that want to be treated. I'm not saying we should force people to be treated. I am saying it should be available and more research needs to be done. And, as a society, we shouldn't encourage behavior that goes against the anatomical design.
Yes. You dont understand it. So it shouldnt be accepted in society.

Seems logical.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: smithjustinb
We lack any good evidence as to why homosexuality is a mental disorder.

DSM-V ... it's not a mental disorder .. hasn't been considered one for 40 years.

Huffington Post

In this regard, the change resembles the elimination of homosexuality from the manual 40 years ago.

"The concept underlying eliminating homosexuality from the DSM was recognizing that you can be homosexual and psychological healthy or be homosexual and psychologically screwed up. Being homosexual didn't have to be the issue," Rosenberg said.

edit on 6/10/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
More psychological information on Homosexuality

Psychology U of C

In a review of published scientific studies and archival data, Ford and Beach (1951) found that homosexual behavior was widespread among various nonhuman species and in a large number of human societies. They reported that homosexual behavior of some sort was considered normal and socially acceptable for at least some individuals in 64% of the 76 societies in their sample; in the remaining societies, adult homosexual activity was reported to be totally absent, rare, or carried on only in secrecy.

Unaware of each subject's sexual orientation, two independent Rorschach experts evaluated the men's overall adjustment using a 5-point scale. They classified two-thirds of the heterosexuals and two-thirds of the homosexuals in the three highest categories of adjustment. When asked to identify which Rorschach protocols were obtained from homosexuals, the experts could not distinguish respondents' sexual orientation at a level better than chance.

A third expert used the TAT and MAPS protocols to evaluate the psychological adjustment of the men. As with the Rorschach responses, the adjustment ratings of the homosexuals and heterosexuals did not differ significantly.

Hooker concluded from her data that homosexuality is not a clinical entity and that homosexuality is not inherently associated with psychopathology

More information at the article. Read up. Learn.

Gonsiorek concluded that "Homosexuality in and of itself is unrelated to psychological disturbance or maladjustment. Homosexuals as a group are not more psychologically disturbed on account of their homosexuality"

edit on 6/10/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

Why does this bother people so much?

Because we're all affected by it. If you want to be gay, that's your choice and I think you have a right to that choice. However, if you want to be treated, I think you should have the option to be treated.

I've asked before, and I'll ask again: How does who & where someone else sticks it in effect how you get laid? It doesn't effect how I get boinked at all, how could it possibly effect anyone else to warrant changing who they are at heart?

All I'm saying is the option to change should be available and the method to change should be based on scientific facts. Currently, we lack objective data to be able to offer adequate treatment. That's why I think more research should be done. All I'm advocating is research and development for treatment options for those that want it. And that's all I've been advocating this whole thread.

This is just sexual insecurity on display.

No. I'm secure with my sexuality. All I'm doing is arguing a point that I believe in.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Evidence based statistics show us that up to 30 percent of non-heterosexual youth attempted suicide in the US is caused by an internal conflict with their sexuality pitted against deeply held religious or social beliefs. I believe these deeply held religious or social beliefs come from an unacceptable indoctrination that has no place in a civilised society.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

Why does this bother people so much?

Because we're all affected by it. If you want to be gay, that's your choice and I think you have a right to that choice. However, if you want to be treated, I think you should have the option to be treated.

I've asked before, and I'll ask again: How does who & where someone else sticks it in effect how you get laid? It doesn't effect how I get boinked at all, how could it possibly effect anyone else to warrant changing who they are at heart?

All I'm saying is the option to change should be available and the method to change should be based on scientific facts. Currently, we lack objective data to be able to offer adequate treatment. That's why I think more research should be done. All I'm advocating is research and development for treatment options for those that want it. And that's all I've been advocating this whole thread.

This is just sexual insecurity on display.

No. I'm secure with my sexuality. All I'm doing is arguing a point that I believe in.

But remember that nearly every single medical, psychiatric, and psychological organization or association has now stated that this treatment as relates to minors is ineffective and harmful. Furthermore, they also state that homosexuality is not a mental disorder.

The danger here is that you're arguing that homosexuality is wrong. That leads to discrimination and bullying. Homosexuality is not a choice. We know that. That's clear. Religion is though.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: captaintyinknots
Yes. You dont understand it. So it shouldnt be accepted in society.

Seems logical.

Is that all you're about? Skewing my words to fit your opposing view?

I don't understand it, so it should be researched. That's why I'm advocating research. That's all I'm doing. I admit that I don't have enough information to support my claim that homosexuality is a mental disorder. That doesn't mean I don't believe it isn't. It just means, I need more information. That's why I believe more research needs to be done.
edit on 10-6-2014 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

a reply to: HardCorps

We need to do more to increase the effectiveness of homosexual treatment programs. We need to support more extensive research programs that can find the brain impairments that lead to and cause homosexuality and develop medication or therapeutic processes which have an effect on these impaired regions of male and female brains.

In the meantime, we all need to treat any person with an impairment with the same respect that you would treat people with normal brains. Just like a person with down syndrome should not be bullied, but should be cared for, so should gay people.

What we don't need to do is encourage this illness. That can only propagate it and is counter-productive to a mentally stable and healthy society.

(Facepalm)
What's the view like from the 1950's?

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps

The new anti-gay language never came up for debate before roughly 7,000 delegates ratified a Texas GOP platform that tea party groups succeeded in pushing further to the right, including winning a harder line on immigration.

One influential tea party group called Texas Eagle Forum had urged the party to support psychological treatments that seek to turn gay people straight. It comes after Republican New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie last fall signed a law banning such therapies on minors, and California has a similar law.

Under the new plank, the Texas GOP recognizes “the legitimacy and efficacy of counseling, which offers reparative therapy and treatment for those patients seeking healing and wholeness from their homosexual lifestyle.”

Texas GOP endorses ‘treatment’ for homosexuality

Okay---- What the hell just happened there?

The American Psychological Association for years now has stated this kind of treatment, "reparative therapy" doesn't work!
But obviously the Texas GOP knows a lot more than those doctors do...

Anyway I'm guessing this is a knee jerk reaction to all the gay and same sex marriage legislation we've seen on the news.
My wife and I see it at church where surprisingly young couple proclaim that the institution of holy matrimony is solely reserved for a man and women! and these very same people are unhappy with same sex marriages becoming law.

As for me I don't care one way or another--- But I will say this kind of backwards thinking leads to fear and intolerance which in turn leads to mob mentally.

seems to me Texas has done more to hurt the party than any thing else I can think of, with this single policy

I'm just going to answer the OP since I haven't seen this said yet and apologize if someone has already stated it:

The Tea Party...for a group that wants LESS government intrusion seems to be seeking MORE government intrusion in something that isn't hurting anyone.
Really...what the Hell?

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Is that all you're about? Skewing my words to fit your opposing view?
Im not skewing your words. I am using the words you are typing.

I don't understand it, so it should be researched. That's why I'm advocating research. That's all I'm doing
Really? So you didnt say:
" as a society, we shouldn't encourage behavior that goes against the anatomical design. " on this very page?

Again, your words.

I admit that I don't have enough information to support my claim that homosexuality is a mental disorder.
Then quit making the claim until you do. Pretty simple.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: FlyersFan

The vegans need a cure.

They ain't right in the head.

Probably progressive vegans.

(can we just send them to camps?)

They'll have to pry my steak out of my cold dead hands!!!!
edit on 10-6-2014 by AngryCymraeg because: Typo

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
How sad that so many would be so misguided into thinking they have the right to dictate to these young folk who they should be.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

But remember that nearly every single medical, psychiatric, and psychological organization or association has now stated that this treatment as relates to minors is ineffective and harmful. Furthermore, they also state that homosexuality is not a mental disorder.

So we need more research.

The danger here is that you're arguing that homosexuality is wrong. That leads to discrimination and bullying. Homosexuality is not a choice. We know that. That's clear. Religion is though.

I believe it is a mental disorder. Be it a choice or something you're born with. Men have penises. Girls have vaginas. The penis is meant to go into the vagina and the seed is meant to fertilize an egg. We're given sexual desires to see that this process goes through. When the sexual desire doesn't correspond to the intended process of procreation according to the anatomical disposition, that is a problem. Proponent emotional context aside, you have to see how something doesn't add up there.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

I support the treatment of all mental illnesses. Whether it be Alzheimer's, autism, or homosexuality.

Homosexuality isn't a mental illness.
Definition of mental illness - A mental illness is a medical condition that disrupts a person's thinking, feeling, mood, ability to relate to others and daily functioning.

I would say that homosexuals think differently. I would say that they feel different. I would say that they find it hard to relate to a lot of people.

SO... people who think diffrently need treatment? You do realize that they are going to eventually declare Us here on conspiracy sites mentally defective too if they let this stand. Alot of people think diffrently and have a hard time relating to each other,AND THEY ARE STRAIGHT! Under the definition of mental illness we all need to be in the mental hospital.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

I believe it is a mental disorder. Be it a choice or something you're born with. Men have penises. Girls have vaginas. The penis is meant to go into the vagina and the seed is meant to fertilize an egg. We're given sexual desires to see that this process goes through. When the sexual desire doesn't correspond to the intended process of procreation according to the anatomical disposition, that is a problem. Proponent emotional context aside, you have to see how something doesn't add up there.

There are heterosexual people who don't want to have children. Are these people mentally ill because they don't use their penises and vaginas to have children? Is there something wrong with these people? Should we be "curing" them?

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: FlyersFan

I support the treatment of all mental illnesses. Whether it be Alzheimer's, autism, or homosexuality.

Homosexuality isn't a mental illness.
Definition of mental illness - A mental illness is a medical condition that disrupts a person's thinking, feeling, mood, ability to relate to others and daily functioning.

I would say that homosexuals think differently. I would say that they feel different. I would say that they find it hard to relate to a lot of people.

SO... people who think diffrently need treatment?

That is a poorly thought out conclusion of what I said to come to. The answer to your irrelevant question is, no.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

if you want to be treated ..

Treated for what? It's not a mental illness. It's not something you take an aspirin for. The DSM says it's a normal part of the animal kingdom. So .... what is it that has to be treated?

All I'm saying is the option to change should be available and the method to change should be based on scientific facts.

Facts show that people who go through these forced 'change' programs end up being screwed up in the head. They go into them being just fine and come out a psychological mess.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

So we need more research.

We need more research??? Why? Are you actively looking for research that proves your contentions? The issue of sexuality is an immesely complicated one. We have cases where men are born in the bodies of women and vice versa. Is that a form of mental illness? Are bi people also mentally ill? I know women who don't want families. Is that a form of mental illness as well, as based on your comments they have all the organs required for it? People do not all belong in neat little boxes. And before you ask, no I'm not gay. I'm just not someone who thinks that gay people need 'treatment', whatever that might me. Sounds dangerously like thought control to me.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

There are heterosexual people who don't want to have children. Are these people mentally ill because they don't use their penises and vaginas to have children? Is there something wrong with these people? Should we be "curing" them?

There are treatments available for those with low libidos.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

I believe it is a mental disorder.

Have you read ANY of the information that I've posted? Information from experts in the medical and psychological fields who say that it absolutely is NOT a mental disorder?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join