It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beijing-bound MAS plane carrying 239 people missing as of 20 mins ago.

page: 294
<< 291  292  293    295  296  297 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf2

You heard that correct @ 01:41. ''two planes''.

At the start of the speech he said comparing to other Malaysian triple 7's flight paths, perhaps referencing that or if another aircraft was used as a dummy for both arcs to see which best fits the signal pattern.

That should be clarified otherwise folks will get all conspiracy about it and it could be an innocent comment.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Meanwhile, Inmarsat's engineers carried out further analysis of the pings and came up with a much more detailed Doppler effect model for the northern and southern paths. By comparing these models with the trajectory of other aircraft on similar routes, they were able to establish an "extraordinary matching" between Inmarsat's predicted path to the south and the readings from other planes on that route.

"By yesterday they were able to definitively say that the plane had undoubtedly taken the southern route," said McLaughlin.

These pings from the satellite – along with assumptions about the plane’s speed – helped Australia and the US National Transportation Safety Board to narrow down the search area to just 3 per cent of the southern corridor on 18 March.

"We worked out where the last ping was, and we knew that the plane must have run out of fuel before the next automated ping, but we didn't know what speed the aircraft was flying at – we assumed about 450 knots," said McLaughlin. "We can’t know when the fuel actually ran out, we can’t know whether the plane plunged or glided, and we can’t know whether the plane at the end of the time in the air was flying more slowly because it was on fumes."

Inmarsat passed the relevant analysis to the UK Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) yesterday. The cause of the crash remains a mystery.

edit on 24-3-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Mikeultra

It's not quite over yet. There's money to be made. A movie and a search documentary. This James Cameron guy will get on it.
deepseachallenge.com...
edit on 24-3-2014 by Mikeultra because: (no reason given)

And the movie title will be..."ALL RIGHT, GOODNIGHT".

If I were to write the screenplay, I would divide the movie into 5 different scenarios and have each one reach its conclusion.

You decide what each of the 5 different scenarios would be...
edit on 3/24/2014 by Starling because: US Spelling?

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I think this is the quote of the week:

In regards to the announcement from Malaysia last night, are you surprised?

"I am not surprised by anything in regard to this." - David Johnston, Defense Minister of Australia

Edit: (this was after pretty much saying that they are only going on the latest uk sat doppler info)
edit on 24-3-2014 by auroraaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   

lonewolf2
reply to post by WanDash

INMARSAT TRACKING TWO PLANES ?? DID I HEAR RIGHT?

Was listening to this How British satellite company Inmarsat tracked down MH370 at 2:36 he states that "it is the southern route is the best fit for the two planes" was this an error in speech or was there another plane involved. Was Inmarsat tracking two planes along side each other in the Indian Ocean??

They tracked the "ping" of currently flying, two (or some number of) known planes, and compared it to the "pings" recorded from 370. Then they matched 370 ping data set with of that of the known planes that had flown the Southern arc. Empirically determined match.
edit on 24-3-2014 by zayonara because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   

theabsolutetruth
reply to post by lonewolf2

You heard that correct @ 01:41. ''two planes''.

At the start of the speech he said comparing to other Malaysian triple 7's flight paths, perhaps referencing that or if another aircraft was used as a dummy for both arcs to see which best fits the signal pattern.

That should be clarified otherwise folks will get all conspiracy about it and it could be an innocent comment.

zayonara

They tracked the "ping" of currently flying, two (or some number of) known planes, and compared it to the "pings" recorded from 370. Then they matched 370 ping data set with of that of the known planes that had flown the Southern arc. Empirically determined match.

At the beginning of his speech he was comparing. Once the 'two planes' were mentioned, he was no longer comparing.

People have been known to inadvertently provide worded information about what really is going on.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 12:06 AM
link   

zayonara
...They tracked the "ping" of currently flying, two (or some number of) known planes, and compared it to the "pings" recorded from 370. Then they matched 370 ping data set with of that of the known planes that had flown the Southern arc. Empirically determined match....

Well - you know - that does present another 'tricky' question...
How many other planes HAVE EVER FLOWN THE SOUTHERN ROUTE?
If they're going to compare against them...then, perhaps they could give us a few 'recent' examples?
Does Malaysia Air have service to Antartica?
Anyway - thanks for the info zayonara (and lonewolf2).

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   
An interesting write up about past "ghost flights" and hypoxia etc

Was MH370 another ghost flight?

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

I checked Orbitz; no flights from Malaysia to Antarctica.
edit on 25-3-2014 by drwill because: zzzzz

As an aside, I was curious about the stormy waters in the search area. The "roaring forties" winds in the Southern Ocean (or therebouts) pushed clipper ships along as they navigated across the south Indian Ocean. Below the "roaring forties," there are rougher bands called "Furious Fifties" and "Screaming Sixties." A raw, retched place to be if you are searching for debris.
edit on 25-3-2014 by drwill because: (no reason given)

Source:www.sailorspeak.com...

Source: en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 25-3-2014 by drwill because: added source

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by drwill

Generally flights for tourists to Antarctica leave from Argentina or Chile and they are small chartered planes... I looked this up a few years ago to see how I would go at getting to see Aurora Australis some time. Yeah, might be cheaper to fly north to see Aurora Borealis instead lol

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by auroraaus

Thank you! I wonder if the waters around the North Pole are just as volatile and dangerous.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by drwill

*obligatory joke about the reason Santa rides a flying sleigh*

Edit: In all seriousness, not sure about that. Treacherous, yes, and many icebreakers go out and help clear the passage for North Sea/Baltic Shipping. It's still quite a busy shipping channel. If I recall correctly, there's a window in the northern summer where it is much easier to travel, less fog and ice, that kind of thing. But I am going on history books for that one.
edit on 25-3-2014 by auroraaus because: (no reason given)

2nd Edit: Off topic but may be of interest to a few of you here, Israel and China are going ahead with the "Red-Med" Railway, in future reducing the need for the Suez Canal for their interests... Hmm.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Witty!

I will wonder a long, long time why 370 apparently ended up in No Man's Land. (I noticed that Richard Seltzer on CNN was using words like "apparently" tonight. When Keebler Elf asked him what he thought had happened to the plane, Seltzer didn't even try to guess, claiming that "even the best theories are still theories.")
edit on 25-3-2014 by drwill because: omitted punctuation

Source for Seltzer quote: CNN Live, Anderson 360 3/24/14
edit on 25-3-2014 by drwill because: source

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by drwill

lol Keebler Elf.

I will wonder too. I really REALLY want access to the ocean current mapping they are using to model the drift etc. But even if I did have access to it, I would probably resemble a female Mr Bean, tongue poking out the corner of my mouth and destroying some important algorithm.

Edit: Hey Cooper!!! IT'S NOT THEORY! IT'S CALLED UNSUPPORTED HYPOTHESES! Numnuts...

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:56 AM
link   

A map would be helpful. Where would debris wash up? An expert on one of the news shows drew criss-crossing arrows to show the currents on the surface (left, right, up, down) and arrows way below the surface. Debris would vanish.
(I usually lurk in the Space forum on ATS..but the southern hemisphere is just as wild as any exoplanet that I can imagine.)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Mikeultra

All the information you explain makes sense, thank you. What I do not understand is the storage date for these planes in the records is 21-10-2013 (on both documents)? Judging from the docs, the place was re-tagged and moved on 21-10-2013 and there is no exit date... So if that was true, how could this plane take off in March 2014 from Kuala Lampur?

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I just read this on abc news:

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370: Authorities defend text message to families revealing missing plane's fate

so from that it appears they have notified the families via sms a text message

wow... what a compassionate way to be notified.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Thurisaz
I just read this on abc news:

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370: Authorities defend text message to families revealing missing plane's fate

so from that it appears they have notified the families via sms a text message

wow... what a compassionate way to be notified.
Did you read the headline, or the article? Your comment makes it sound like you read the headline. The article says this:

"Wherever humanly possible, we did so in person with the families or by telephone, using SMS only as an additional means of ensuring fully that the nearly 1,000 family members heard the news from us and not from the media."
Many of the families were in Beijing and they called them to a meeting at a hotel there to announce it to them personally before the rest of the world. Apparently they tried to call others not in attendance but not everybody answered, and not everybody saw their text message before seeing it on the news. However it does seem like the airlines took steps to notify as many people as they could, and the text message was just one method. Yes it's impersonal but still better than seeing it on the news for the first time, which still happened to some people.

So if they tried to phone them and couldn't reach them, I'm not sure what they should have done differently. On something this high profile they can't really delay the announcement for days until they reach every last family member, can they?
edit on 25-3-2014 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   

A funny thing about that post of mine referring to yours.

I mentioned the French military as one of the four militaries technologically ahead of the rest (I think), and I mentioned they hadn't said peep yet. Then what do you know the very next day after that post the French military no less peep! We have on MSN the French military satellites have a new pic of the debris, even if it was one they have held for a few days already... bla bla. Really hard to take this whole Southern Corridor thing seriously with that kind of thing going on. I am sure this was just a coincidence, not a case the TPTB saw our posts here and went something like 'doh oh yeah that's right the French military, forgot about them, we had better get the French involved too'.

I remain convinced the Southern Corridor is nothing but a dog and pony show. Meant to distract us from the Northern Corridor, where I consider the plane is likely to be sitting somewhere, crashed or landed.

The fact we now have the Malaysian Gov. confirming a crash right where the dog and pony show is performing for us the world audience WITHOUT even a single piece of debris from MH 370 just cements it for me. This is step before TPTB state the search will now be scaled down, then expect MSN to kill the story.

If that plane is sitting somewhere in tact, we are going to be seeing it again. If it is dispersed in pieces somewhere else because some military of some kind shot it down for some reason we are never going to know then we can be sure those pieces are all being taken care of, buried out of sight out of mind.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Tallone

And cue the users on ATS lambasting those of us who are suspicious as mere tin foil hat wearers. My question to them is: After the past 15 years, or more, do you really trust your governments?

There was an article somewhere on the interwebs which questioned the tactics of Ultra in WW2 being a reason today for the lack of transparency/slow to react actions of states in regard to MH370.

WWII Intelligence strategy hindered the SAR of MH370?

A piece of mangosteen for thought, given now the delay of SAR because of weather... plenty o'time for some planting to happen. Sorry, I can't help but plant my tin foil hat firmly on my noggin!

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   

auroraaus

I understand that:

Generally with suicide, there's a plan or some sort of suicidal ideation before hand. Was the pilot having suicidal thoughts before hand? We will never know for sure, because he's dead according to investigators. Was he having suicidal thoughts before all comms were lost? Who knows.

Correct.

I think the fact that the plane made 3 course changes, went over the Malaysian penisular without the Malaysian military doing anything about it and finally headed south, all during 7 hours, speaks for itself.

That is entirely in doubt now auroraaus, since the last transponder information just beyond waypoint IGARI indicated a turn east and not west.

The unidentified aircraft seen by military radar flying about the Straits of Malacca was never positively identified as MH370 and as I understand it INMARSAT tracked MH370 turning right back in the direction of Djakarta from Vietnam.

new topics

top topics

<< 291  292  293    295  296  297 >>

join