It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS.5/3 Preview Video: see the big changes coming soon to ATS!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I have to admit, looking at the video and subsequent pictures, it does look very streamlined and modern, and even the light version (being someone more used to websites with darker backgrounds) is quite pleasant. I was expecting it to be a lot more striking.

Has there been any official idea on how much avatars and even signature lines will change with the new system in place? It looks pretty much the same from the views, but at one stage there was talk of doing away with sig lines altogether.

Other than that, can't wait to see (and use) the finished product.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

No other forums get the traffic we do. There are many "typical" forum features we don't have.

Think about it...

If we logged every view, that's a processing-costly write to the database (to increment the view count) every time a thread page is viewed. Reading from the database to assemble a thread is efficient... but our traffic is average of 2 million pages viewed every day, our technology budget could not support the server cluster needed to support automatic view-count increments. Even YouTube doesn't do that.

(We looked at YouTube's method of incrementing a separate database, but it still requires the cost of another server just for a minor metric.)

Later you say 80-90% of visits are from guests, this must be lots of google searches on topics, very interesting.
I appreciate the need to conserve costly database, but is the issue automatic view counts instantly displayed because even YouTube doesn't do that ? It could be done once every 24 hours, would that eat less data.
Or only let signed in members have access to that, the visitors that don't bother to sign up don't need to see it.
Of coarse the data saved might be so minisscule it's not worth it too. Obviously ATS has to pick it's battles when it come to data usage, I post to about 6 other forums, and ATS is the only one that does not have it, maybe because they are just using that simple Vbulletin style. ATS is much more robust and detailed and I know that uses more data and we can't have it both ways, I have to be realistic.
But thanks for fully explaining it to me.
edit on 25-6-2013 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Blue_Jay33
It could be done once every 24 hours, would that eat less data.

We'd still need to do a database write every time a thread is accessed, to some database somewhere. In some cases, with popular threads, it could be several hundred times a minute, just to increment one metric.

Back when we had some significant server bottlenecks during our growth period, turning off that feature was the panacea. Now our traffic is 5 times what it was then, but our infrastructure is not.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Is it possible to add in themes? So if someone prefers color icons the can do that... or of they want shapes for the icons they could go with that?... just thought I'd suggest something
Looks great SO. Good work on the design if you ask me.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
So, will we be able to chose our color back ground still?

I do enjoy having that option.

Other than that this is going to be a new adventure and as you know I am always up for that!

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
On Topic.... I did notice the change recently of the black/white colour scheme.... not all that glamorous, i preferred colour!

Anyhows.... I'm still here.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

antar
So, will we be able to chose our color back ground still?

I do enjoy having that option.

Other than that this is going to be a new adventure and as you know I am always up for that!

As far as the plan goes, you'll be able to switch between the light and dark skins at will.

I don't think there will be any other personlisation options like themes and such, as the whole goal is to reduce load times and make the site more efficient while maintaining all the current functionality.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

That is great news, I am looking forward to the new paradigm!

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Why is it, when I load index2.php from the root folder, that the HOME page color look so brilliant? Anyone have same effect?

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

At first I was skeptical and was thinking that this getting worse than Facebook with all the changes.

However I think it looks good and I look forward to using it. I really appreciate all the hard work and effort that's gone into it.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
ATS, you ever thought about having a FaceBook like alternative to FaceBook? ATS social network?

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I like it, will you be able to upload pics from mobile devices?

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
As for me, I have only one somewhat immobile device, my olde computer. It has a little webcam on it, though.
I know people are thinking I'm insane, (re. chatforum anonymity) but just think about this:
How likely would a less secret user, be, to behave abusively? Be a troll?
NSA NSshmay, they monitor you at home, probably even through your cable box. (what can ya do?)
edit on 25-6-2013 by misschareesee because: z

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Todzer

Once everything is complete you'll be able to use all the features currently available for desktop folk via mobile.

At least that's my understanding. Since I've been testing it on my Windows 8 Phone is works beautifully, feels like an app I downloaded.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Brilliant
when's it due to roll out, looking forward to using it now.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Thank you for the message and for the video!! Ah, the trauma that we go through when we log on and find our home completely changed without us knowing! Thanks again for the informational heads up!

Thanks also to all of the hard work involved. We are upgrading our system at work so I feel your pain. The new update looks great.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Put me in the "waiting for the dark skin" camp.
What I really want to know is who's music was that in the demo? Afex Twin? Pretty please, tell me the name of that tune?

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Love the Video background music, nice to see original style pages as well. Look forward to oncoming ATS. Thank You. You seem to say more than our TV Media channels these days, and quite often a favoured reason to Laugh once more pops-up. You sure have a list of Comical reliants.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   

SkepticOverlord looks good thus far attractive to the eyes and the brighter layout gives off a welcoming/inviting energy...

NAMASTE*******

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join