It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1st PHOTOS of DA14 have ARRIVED

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

edit on 15-2-2013 by theillusion because: Edit to Add

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Would I be out of line to say that its...um...kinda unimpressive.

I mean its very cool its an asteroid and stuff but it's really just a white dot on a black sky. The picture is just kind of blah.

Still its neat seeing an asteroid I guess.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
aawwweeeee, look at the little fella ain`t he cute, what cha gonna name him??

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Wow. Totally disappointing.

There is a camera that can film at a trillion frames a second and we still have to see this sh!t?

I wish all the cash wasn't in the wrong hands.

thanks OP

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
You made my day.

Thanks for posting a pic a that beauty.

Considering what it could have done? I'm not going to tempt fate by saying anything derogatory about pretty little DA14!

peace

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by theillusion

Cool! Neat! Thanks for providing it!

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

Well we will try to get it closer for you next time

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

Death.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by theillusion

Actually, it turns out that picture isn't of the asteroid.

One of the astronomers was eating chicken vindaloo and a grain of rice got on the telescope.

^ Red Dwarf reference.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
And damn sky of Norway is full of crappy clouds as always… in fact it is extra crappy today, no chance in hell to get the camera outside tonight..

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDoctor46
reply to post by Hopechest

Well we will try to get it closer for you next time
I'm surprised they weren't prepared this time.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I still find it disappointing that we can take incredible images of the far reaches of the universe using tools like the Hubble Telescope, but we can't even take a decent picture of something that is in our own backyard?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by csuldm
I still find it disappointing that we can take incredible images of the far reaches of the universe using tools like the Hubble Telescope, but we can't even take a decent picture of something that is in our own backyard?

Lots of things we pay for have been disappointing. Just makes you wonder, why?

jra

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by csuldm

They are completely different situations. Nebulae and distant Galaxies are astronomically huge. This asteroid, while much closer, was only 50m in size. I can't think of any telescopes that could get a close-up view of it. You would likely need a dedicated probe flying along with it, to get detailed images of it.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Does anyone know why DA14 came on the 15th this year? Was it running behind schedule for some reason? It's not a leap year is it?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by csuldm

because of the position of earth and where DA14 passed, there wasnt anything 'major' in the way of viewing telescopes.

the telescope used in Australia, by NASA was infact an amateurs backyard telescope, because the government, nasa or science departments didnt have anything worthwhile in the area to use.

edit on 15-2-2013 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
When I first looked at the pics, all I could see was some cat hair on my screen - no asteroid. I tried to wipe away the cat hair when I realized the cat hair WAS the asteroid. Totally underwhelming ...

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by wewillnotcomply666
Wow. Totally disappointing.

There is a camera that can film at a trillion frames a second and we still have to see this sh!t?

Yeh, but you wouldn't see anything with a high speed camera, it would just be black, you need a long exposure to be able to pick up the minuscule amounts of light this asteroid reflecting. High speed camera would only work if you had a satellite following this asteroid and shining bright flood lights onto it.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Actually, last year was the leap year so February 29 last year added the extra day.

new topics

top topics

join