It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Educated opinions not welcome

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Grambler

Dear OP,

I am no intellectual, but just an ordinary guy, and would like to share insigts to your topic.

1. The reason members post here in the first place is to share their thoughts, freely.

2. Be glad that you and others have this opportunity to do so, to have your say, freely and anonymously. Not many sites are left that gives such freedom.

3. There are 2 reasons why some post are ignored and have short self life and seemed to be 'ignored' by the evidence of having no response:-
a) apathy or lack of interest by members here.
b) message too true, none dares or have anything further to add, and those with strong different views or agenda from yours will not respond in the hope it dies a quick death, thrown to the far back archives.

4. If your intention of posting here is to get attention, then you had most certainly receive the attention it deserve here, either with responses or none.

5. However, if your intention is only to share an insight, then have no fear of being 'ignored'. You never were. There are hundreds of thousands or even million of visitors all over the world daily on this site. As long as it is displayed here, you can be assured that it had been read.

And those visitors may not be members, with reasons of their own, and thus cannot respond. But your words will stick into their mind, to help them for a better opinion if it truly had been thought provoking, or ignored if it was some senseless diatribe.

Thus, do not be disheartened. Never be. The daily records of visitors are evidence. Just say, write and post it from your heart honestly and sincerly, what you wish to say, and let posterity do the rest.

Good luck.:-)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Thanks all for the repilies.

I live in rural Pennsylvania, and although I have many smart aquaintances around here, they have almost no interest in politics, philosophy, etc.

Thats why I love this site, because I get a chance to converse with people that have interests similar to mine.

I've always found that I tend to learn a lot more from people who disagree with me, and I guess I thought (perhaps erroneously) that others felt the same. So I try my best to respond to posts I disagree with with logic, evidence, and I try to do so politely. I know like everyone else perhaps I sometimes fail in this attempt, but thats my goal.

By doing this I'm not trying to get people to agree with me neccessarily, I just hope that it helps the person reevaluate there opinion. Perhaps they will come away even disageeing with me stronger, but thats great. Being challenged forces people to develop better arguments, and hence possibily come closer to the truth.

So when you put a lot of effort into this in hopes that you can learn something new or add new input and it seems like you are ignored, it gets frustrating.

I know I came off as very negative, but allow me to say I have learned a ton on this site, and I am very grateful for it.

Im also glad for the reply that suggested I lighten up a bit. You're right! I will try to rmember this as Im on the site, and remeber that not everyone is here for the same reason as me.

Thanks again to all the posts. Sometimes when your on here it seems like everyone is an extremist, so its nice to hear there are a lot of reasonable people on here.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed

Amen brother.
I am a fellow truth seeker and have also noticed what you point out as well.
The problem is and always has been and always will be one thing and one thing ONLY!

EGO!

Once you know that then it becomes easy.

Have you ever met someone who didn't think they were right?
I have never met someone who thought they were wrong I can tell you that.
Everyone thinks they're right.
And if THEY'RE RIGHT then guess what # head???

You're wrong!!!!

It is the way of things.
It will never change until we learn how to kill our egos once and for all.

So are you right about this post? Or wrong?

Kind of a paradox, isn't it?

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
To me, life is simple. The harder you make it on yourself, the harder its going to be.

That said, I believe I can come to conclusions about certain things the same way a lot of times.
I see something that doesnt look or sound right to me, I wont stop thinking about it until it does.
The only way to make that happen, is to simplify it to your own knowledge of understanding.
I already know how I feel about a certain thing, so when something similar is introduced- I can formulate an opinion about it faster that a lot of other people can.

Thats why a lot of times I will post things like "that guy is a dipstick". Usually because I think that is a logical arguement( almost 80 percent of the time).

Very rarely will something happen to where the crime or act was well thought out to the point of being confused about it, when you already knew what the cause of it was before hand.

"Explosion in Iran"- you automatically think Israel or the US.

Some things also- are just common sense to me and physics to others(Or vice versa).

- theres also a lot of times where I question people on this site for NOT posting about certain things that I think they SHOULD be, considering how much they cheer for fairness. Especially in the political forum.
They like to talk about people when they are doing good, but not when they are doing bad.

In the end- you cant please anyone or expect too much from them.

They will either agree or disagree(some more violently than others).
edit on 28-7-2012 by Common Good because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grambler

.....the more well thought out and succinct point you make, the more likely it will be ignored. However, if you make a politically charged opinion with no facts behind it, you will get massive responses in favor of and against your comments.
Politics has always brought forth heated discussions, which is why it remains a popular topic. People love to argue.

Aside from that however, it is often simply just a matter of the ever-shortening attention span of our current society.

More details used = less people will read it all. OMG! I almost forgot; Did you see the new episode of Big Brother last night? That was some crazy stuff.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

I'm here to learn things to, not just be argumentative, People do the same to me, especially if I have an unpopular opinion. Whenever I have an unpopular opinion, the real trolls come out to correct me telling me that I must believe as they do or I'm a bigot or a hater of some sort.

It's not about facts, it's about beliefs, and most people will hold onto their beliefs no matter what facts exist to contradict them and prove them wrong.

People will see only what they want to see, and nothing else.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grambler
Let me start by telling you why Im here. To Learn the truth of things, and to give my opinion on what the truth is so that I can get feedback, so I can adjust my beliefs to what is correct to the best of my ability.

In my pursuit of this I often find myself a moderate on this site. Im not repub or democrat, I dislike the government but question the logic that everyone involved is evil, etc.

Yet what Ive come to notice on this site is that the more well thought out and succinct point you make, the more likely it will be ignored. However, if you make a politically charged opinion with no facts behind it, you will get massive responses in favor of and against your comments.

I kmow it sounds paranoid, but I often feel as if people ignore my points on this site because they have no answer to them.

The point I have in this thread is this, Am I the only one who is here because I care about gettin to the truth? Im so frustrated that I would just like to here someone else say they are here because they seek knowledge and not just to push their agenda.

I am here to see what the people with wider perceptions than the normals think and have found out. I agree that there is a duality driven thing going on where 2 groups fight over their opinion and sometimes a thread is only about that. I find that it is a good way to increase my ability to express myself. But yes I am ignored often but maybe I am to crazy to discuss with

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

I admit I'm at my wit's end. Try to take a topic step by step by using logic, and people get upset that I won't just make a leap of faith that they are correct. People don't want to know the truth. They just want to live in their fairy tale worlds and heaven forbid if someone rocks their boat.

If someone proves that I am wrong I readily and gratefully admit it because it means that I've expanded my mind that much further. From what I've seen here, the majority do NOT want this.

edit on 7/28/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

I always enjoy your post so keep on making them.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

Yes, I see your point HOWEVER,

I ALWAYS allow room for myself to be completely and totally wrong.
In other words, I am not so married to my own ideas and opinions that they are not subject to
immediate change when new information comes in.

I also try VERY hard to avoid BELIEVING anything.
Because of the nature of the word itself it does no good to just believe anything.

I think where alot of people go wrong is not just that they think they're right, but the fact that
they think they're right despite irrefutable evidence to the contrary. Almost like they have something to lose by admitting they're wrong.

Hell, with some people you'd think their lives were on the line when in reality, the only thing on the line is
a huge ego.

Here is a mental exercise I constantly play with myself to make sure I keep in check when debating with people

"Is it possible, IS IT POSSIBLE that everything I am saying is wrong and is it POSSIBLE that I don't really KNOW
what it is I think I know"????

Case in point,

You tell me that JFK was never the president and in fact he never existed.
Now, at first I am going to have plenty to say about this but in the end I will always remember that.....

I NEVER MET HIM nor did I ever WITNESS any man known as John Kennedy get innagurated as President of the United States of America. It may be a well established and accepted "fact" in our history books but 'I' wasn't there so I REALLY and TRUELY don't know something even as commonly 'known' as that.

It is scary when you stop to really REALLY think about what you ACTUALLY KNOW as opposed to what you assume to be fact because it is commonly accepted. There IS a difference.

I KNOW very little.
But I know this, so I am hopefully one step ahead of the curve.

edit on 28-7-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101

Dear OP,

I am no intellectual, but just an ordinary guy, and would like to share insigts to your topic.

1. The reason members post here in the first place is to share their thoughts, freely.

2. Be glad that you and others have this opportunity to do so, to have your say, freely and anonymously. Not many sites are left that gives such freedom.

3. There are 2 reasons why some post are ignored and have short self life and seemed to be 'ignored' by the evidence of having no response:-
a) apathy or lack of interest by members here.
b) message too true, none dares or have anything further to add, and those with strong different views or agenda from yours will not respond in the hope it dies a quick death, thrown to the far back archives.

4. If your intention of posting here is to get attention, then you had most certainly receive the attention it deserve here, either with responses or none.

5. However, if your intention is only to share an insight, then have no fear of being 'ignored'. You never were. There are hundreds of thousands or even million of visitors all over the world daily on this site. As long as it is displayed here, you can be assured that it had been read.

And those visitors may not be members, with reasons of their own, and thus cannot respond. But your words will stick into their mind, to help them for a better opinion if it truly had been thought provoking, or ignored if it was some senseless diatribe.

Thus, do not be disheartened. Never be. The daily records of visitors are evidence. Just say, write and post it from your heart honestly and sincerly, what you wish to say, and let posterity do the rest.

Good luck.:-)

Absolutely!

I have starred all the responses so far, as they all have been very good; eye-opening in some cases. This particular response however, I would star 100 times if I could. Excellent Reply

This truly is the power of this site; Right or Wrong; Free Speech reaches many...

The readers will sort it out for themselves.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Let me ask all you erudite posters something.

How many times have you apologised for being wrong or conceeded a point?

Or is everyone correct 100% of the time?

edit on 28-7-2012 by beezzer because: v

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Many times. In fact, these are some of my favorite moments on the site. I fully admit that Im not infallible, and so when someone can point out an error in my judgement, it not only increases my knowledge, but I gain respect for the person that corrected me. Most of the time this has happened it I am shown wrong by the people I disagree with most.

In fact, I many times I want people, (Im currently doing this on a thread right now) to prove my point wrong. Like, I think this is what happened but I don't want to believe it, so please show me Im wrong.

Im sure I haven't done this everytime Ive had the chance, but I can honestly teel you that I try to make it a point to admit when Im wrong.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

What you describe in your OP is the main reason that I have gone from being an active participant on theses forums to a "lurker" once again. The level of intellectual discourse has, in my opinion, declined in the last few years. This observation, however, is not limited to the forums in scope. It expands throughout society. We are being pushed to critical mass as a society by the elite....illogically bickering amongst ourselves.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Thank you for your honest reply. There has been so much talk about EGO in is thread that I thought I'd focus on humility.

And, for the record, I end up apologising or being wrong far more times than I'd like to admit.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

I have. I got into a debate with a woman who had decided to take her kids and get off the grid. Her last response was so indisputable that I congratulated her and thanked her for a wonderful debate.

I admit that it doesn't happen that often, but most of the threads I start are in the form of a question on something that I genuinely don't know about. So, there can't really be a debate when I'm looking for answers and not arguments.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

I have. I got into a debate with a woman who had decided to take her kids and get off the grid. Her last response was so indisputable that I congratulated her and thanked her for a wonderful debate.

I admit that it doesn't happen that often, but most of the threads I start are in the form of a question on something that I genuinely don't know about. So, there can't really be a debate when I'm looking for answers and not arguments.

Thanks for replying.

I think humility is lacking here on ATS. Hiding behind a computer screen affords a person a sense of invulnerabiliy to criticism.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Let me ask all you erudite posters something.....

Oh ok then. If that's how you want this to go down.... I can play the name-calling game also, you gosh durn big-eared eruditious carrot thief.

Them's fightin' words.
Put 'em up. Put 'em up.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles
reply to post by beezzer

Let me ask all you erudite posters something.....

Oh ok then. If that's how you want this to go down.... I can play the name-calling game also, you gosh durn big-eared eruditious carrot thief.

Them's fightin' words.
Put 'em up. Put 'em up.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Ugh, this is exactly what I notice everywhere.

I am under the impression making a snappy, easy on the eye's comment is the key to getting people to read your information. Which is very hard to achieve when you are delving into topics such as these. Our lack of literary content in our everyday lives, has become a clear problem. The media is all about sensationalism, and getting to the "heart" of the matter, in an emotionally pandering, pathetically narrow minded methodology that is now passed off as journalism. Fast, fast, fast, no one has time for information collection anymore, our minds are to driven by video technology, and bright colors, the days of sitting down, and reading a good book are over.

Thus why so many things slip right over our heads, in the news, at the back of the newspapers, is all the important data, hidden away, only for those that are willing to look. All over the internet there is declassified documents, proving a huge amount of the conspiracy's to be fact. In plain site, but hidden from the majority, simply due to our lack of literary intrigue. Information is not so much withheld, as it is hidden, and since so few are actually searching for it, we remain in the dark as a majority. A-lot of the data surrounding conspiracy's is strewn about on purpose (in my opinion), as a sort of puzzle for those who are willing to take the time to look, or maybe a test to see if anyone still cares. Who knows what purpose this serves, maybe to "illuminate" those who will search to the power that be, or to choose those who are worthy of learning the secrets. A sort of initiation of the intelligent, and curious puzzle solvers of our day.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by 007Polytoks

Brevity is the soul of wit.

William Shakespeare

It's not so much the context or the content, but how you wrap the package.

You can have a quote that'd make Ghandi weep, but if it's buried beneath a word stew, then the message is lost.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join