It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim Woman Asked to Remove Headscarf in NJ Mall

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by UdderlyInsane
reply to post by draco49

In that case, kind sir please step into the wicker man I may be a little behind yet the solstice comes. Nice name calling I think you perhaps need a lesson in controlled conversation.

It's difficult to show respect or kindness to people who exhibit such ignorance and intolerance. In America, you can say what you want, write what you want, practice whatever faith you want, and live your life how you want. That includes Muslims. I do apologize if my words came off a bit harsh, but given the shambles our country is in, continual religious intolerance and other displays of ignorance and bigotry tend to rub me the wrong way. Your comment leads me to believe you are a Wiccan. If memory serves, wasn't it YOUR people who the Puritans regularly burned and stoned to death?

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Can't believe I'm going to say it. France got this right. No more burques!

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Not that much different than no shirt,no shoes, no service. Faces tell much about people. The mall would be private property so whatever public law is cited would be irrelevant. If she was wearing one of those screens over her eyes that would be considered against the law as an obstruction of vision while operating a motor vehicle . The few must make condescensions for the benefit of the many
edit on 25-5-2012 by redneck13 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
As someone else pointed out here, there are women in the United States that cover their heads, sometimes faces with veils. They are Baptists, Orthodox Catholic, Pagan, Amish, Jews, and so on.

Let's take a look at some of these people

bellbookandcandle.tumblr.com...

coveredbaptists.proboards.com...

awomansplaceis.blogspot.com...

tpoaic.blogspot.com...

www.preparingthesoil.com...

So, what I want to know is are we going to start rounding up all of these American women and tell them that they need to stop wearing their head coverings?

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by redneck13
If she was wearing one of those screens over her eyes that would be considered against the law as an obstruction of vision. The few must make condescensions for the benefit of the many

Okay then lets all stop wearing sunglasses because those are screens over the eyes too.

Right?

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thunder heart woman

If she was wearing one of those screens over her eyes that would be considered against the law as an obstruction of vision. The few must make condescensions for the benefit of the many

Okay then lets all stop wearing sunglasses because those are screens over the eyes too.

Right?

Yes. Absolutely. I've been asked to remove my sunglasses many times. I didn't cry about discrimination, I just took the glasses off.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Interesting thought, the anti-religious sect, the atheists should see head coverings as offensive as crosses.

No word from them since the religion isn't christian.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Thunder heart woman

Sun glasses allow you to see better in the sun. If anyone ask me to remove them because of security I gladly would as I do daily. One of those hoodies with mosquito netting will not enhance your vision. It would be dangerous for others on the road and yourself

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Not that much different than no shirt,no shoes, no service. Faces tell much about people. The mall would be private property so whatever public law is cited would be irrelevant. If she was wearing one of those screens over her eyes that would be considered against the law as an obstruction of vision while operating a motor vehicle . The few must make condescensions for the benefit of the many

1) The "no shirts, no shoes, no service" policy is based on the public health code.

2) We have many rights in this country. But the right to examine a person's face isn't one of them.

3) Burqa's do not obstruct vision; that's why there's an opening to expose the eyes.

4) I think you meant to say "considerations", or "concessions", not "condescentions" LOL

5) Civil liberties are absolute. A person's choice of clothing is their business. If it makes you uncomfortable, that's YOUR problem to deal with. It's not the responsibility of the other person to conform to what YOU think is proper.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Sun glasses allow you to see better in the sun. If anyone ask me to remove them because of security I gladly would as I do daily. One of those hoodies with mosquito netting will not enhance your vision. It would be dangerous for others on the road and yourself

No no. Let's ALL stop wearing sunglasses ALL of the time. The eyes should not be covered ever. It should be against the law, right? If a Muslim woman cannot cover her head and face, then the eyes should never be covered too. Fair is fair!

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by draco49

I understand your frustration, where I live religion has just pushed a hefty playing card against homosexuals and women I want to throw a toddler tantrum over some of the insanities displayed on the bases of rights and beliefs. While it may seem unjust or impossible a common ground must be met for all.

I am Pagan and you are correct my ancestors were burned and stoned quite often for the simple act of herbalism. Today there are still many issues my family battles with, they do not excuse children missing school for Pagan holidays it is an unexcused absence. There was a family three blocks down with a 6 foot Jesus statue yet every year my Maypole is an issue.

Maybe I am just bitter because I can not run around my backyard on the full and new moon in the bare but others get to walk around like spiritual superheros.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by draco49

Wear what you want in in own home its your right. Go out in public without clothes its against the law. You compare apples with oranges.
edit on 25-5-2012 by redneck13 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I came across this earlier ....

A christian fundamentalist website says....

The Arabs are very moral people in comparison to Americans. Arab women wear clothes appropriately. American women who mock and express disdain for the respectable modesty of Arab women (1st Timothy 2:9); are the filthy pigs who dress whorishly, behave whorishly, and abort their child whorishly. ”

www.jesus-is-savior.com...

"Respectable modesty of Arab women" the christian fundamentalist site says.

"American women who mock and express disdain for the respectable modesty of Arab women are the filthy pigs who dress whorishly, behave whorishly, and abort their child whorishly."

Wow.... I guess there is a first time for everything.

Incredible.

edit on 25-5-2012 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-5-2012 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

reply to post by draco49

Wear what you want in in own home its your right. Go out in public without clothes its against the law. You compare apples with oranges.

Really? We're talking about a woman wearing traditional religious garments that cover nearly her entire body, and you're somehow comparing that to indecent public exposure? LOL who's comparing apples to oranges?

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by draco49

No I compare the rights in your own home compared to your rights in a private business owned by someone else. Ok

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by UdderlyInsane
reply to post by draco49

I understand your frustration, where I live religion has just pushed a hefty playing card against homosexuals and women I want to throw a toddler tantrum over some of the insanities displayed on the bases of rights and beliefs. While it may seem unjust or impossible a common ground must be met for all.

I am Pagan and you are correct my ancestors were burned and stoned quite often for the simple act of herbalism. Today there are still many issues my family battles with, they do not excuse children missing school for Pagan holidays it is an unexcused absence. There was a family three blocks down with a 6 foot Jesus statue yet every year my Maypole is an issue.

Maybe I am just bitter because I can not run around my backyard on the full and new moon in the bare but others get to walk around like spiritual superheros.

I was rude to you and it was inappropriate. Please accept my apology. As a Constitutional Libertarian, it really grinds my gears when people propagate hate and discrimination, completely dismissing the Constitution we ALL live under when it suits them. I am completely intolerant of intolerance LOL

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
People have the right to wear what they want and people have the right to disagree with it.

I personally have no problem with head coverings like the hijab but there is something about the burqa that rubs me the wrong way as a woman. And that is MY right to feel that way and to express that opinion wherever I want to.

It's my right to have an ill opinion of burqas, baggy pants, unitards, thong bikinis, and the ungodly wardrobe choices of THE PEOPLE OF WALMART.

It's my opinion. They are under no obligation to change clothes to suit my opinion and I am under no obligation to change my opinion to suit their dress code.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Although a few people have said they are offended by the Burqa, the point of this thread was specifically wearing it inside the mall. I don't think you'll find very many people that will say they should never be worn, but they should abide by the local rules and laws. Like I and others have said, we've all been asked to remove hats and sunglasses. It is fairly common these days. Banks and Courthouses are the most common places that require you to remove your hat and sunglasses.

You're throwing out a strawman and taking the words of a few extremists and applying those words to everyone that argues against you. That isn't fair, and it is exactly the same thing that people do when they demonize the whole Muslim religion based off just a few extremists.

By the way, I have specifically responded to you several times now, and you keep ignoring it and choosing to only argue with the most outlandish claims. Is it possible you just want to argue, and you have no intention of discussing anything civilly?

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

thats quite rude my freind in case you didnt know its not a rule here that they cant were there clothing.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I am much less offended by a woman wearing a veil than a 15 year old girl with her breasts hanging out and shorts up her arse.
My husband was born and raised a Sunni Muslim in another country and he can't stand the veil or hijab. When his family sends him pictures where the mother and sister have their heads covered, he will write back "Take that off your heads".
I think a lot of you would be surprised just how so many Muslims actually feel. You only notice the ones that make the news and don't realize that they live among you, doing normal American things like working and going to school and riding the trains and going to baseball games, and having cookouts, and walking their dogs, etc. etc. Many of them go above and beyond to blend into American ideals.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join