It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Director Oliver Stone lashes out at US

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anthropormorphic
I am as American as apple pie.

Apple pie is not American

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiveToSpendIt
One of their favorites is where some jackass "reporter" for a television show comes to America and interviews 500 people. Out of those 500 people, they only show the absolute dumbest ones. You know, the ones that can't tell you if Pennsylvania is in China or South America, those types.

Why are you slamming Europe, but making reference to the Chaser War on Everything -- An Australian TV show.

Australia is a good 10,000 miles from Europe

*facepalm*

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   

You know, the ones that can't tell you if Pennsylvania is in China or South America, those types.

Then, they distribute these "documentaries" to their Euroviewers and tell them that every stupid American is just this stupid.

The sad part is that these lowbrow, black toothed, greasy headed fools are arrogant and pompous enough to believe that all Americans are like the ones they see on their staged T.V. shows.

True idiocy at it's purest form.

You mean like you then? An American who thinks that Australia is in Europe.

Oh dear. You need to dig a hole and hide in it for a while

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by NadaCambia

I knew someone might say that. Because someone gave you a star for your effort, I'll reply just incase.

Just so ya' know. To say as "American as apple pie" doesn't mean " Americans invented apple pie". Part of the turn of phrase is "As American as motherhood and apple pies", though you might look more silly claiming Americans are saying they invented "motherhood". But I figure you know where it's "American" origins are, so I won't explain further.

Go Arsenal!

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by NadaCambia

I knew someone might say that. Because someone gave you a star for your effort, I'll reply just incase.

Just so ya' know. To say as "American as apple pie" doesn't mean " Americans invented apple pie". Part of the turn of phrase is "As American as motherhood and apple pies", though you might look more silly claiming Americans are saying they invented "motherhood". But I figure you know where it's "American" origins are, so I won't explain further.

Go Arsenal!

I know what you, or the saying itself means. I don't like it though. You realise people outside -- probably inside too - of America actually think apple pie IS American, because of that phrase.

That and hamburgers

I don't like soccer btw. Go the Steelers

edit on 21-11-2011 by NadaCambia because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by NadaCambia

You're an disingenuous, false-posting, post-clipping asshole but I feel in the Xmas mood so.............

I have some helpful information for you.

There are exactly two categories of people who might read any article you post. The first group comprises those who know you're a liar, a plagiarist, a fraud and an idiot. The second includes only those who have never heard of you..

Your lies and incoherent nonsense just give the first group an opportunity to laugh at you, and any of the second group who see that crap will immediately migrate to the first.

If you want to maintain as good an image as possible, your best bet?

Shut the # up.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Master Shen long

Ridiculous.
The U.S. is big. Most didn't need passports until the last few years.

Traveling from the east coast of the U.S. to the west coast is a longer trip than someone from the UK visiting any of these countries: Ireland, France, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Czech Rep., Norway, Sweden, Slovenia Croatia, Slovakia, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Albania, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Greece, Macedonia, Kosovo, Montenegro, Finland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, and very western Russia. I probably missed a few too.

So yeah we got two giant countries bordering us and driving to either is like crossing several European countries.

Get the picture yet of how big the U.S. is?
edit on 21-11-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   

reply to post by NadaCambia

You're an disingenuous, false-posting, post-clipping asshole but I feel in the Xmas mood so.............

I have some helpful information for you.

There are exactly two categories of people who might read any article you post. The first group comprises those who know you're a liar, a plagiarist, a fraud and an idiot. The second includes only those who have never heard of you..

Your lies and incoherent nonsense just give the first group an opportunity to laugh at you, and any of the second group who see that crap will immediately migrate to the first.

If you want to maintain as good an image as possible, your best bet?

Shut the # up.

What on Earth are you talking about?

You were slamming Europeans and as an example of bad Europeans you referenced the Chasers War On Everything -- Which is an Australian show.

Everyone knows what I said to be true. If you still haven't clocked on then it shows you're more stupid than first thought. Swear at me some more kid

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

Ridiculous.
The U.S. is big. Most didn't need passports until the last few years.

Traveling from the east coast of the U.S. to the west coast is a longer trip than someone from the UK visiting any of these countries: Ireland, France, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Czech Rep., Norway, Sweden, Slovenia Croatia, Slovakia, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Albania, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Greece, Macedonia, Kosovo, Montenegro, Finland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, and very western Russia. I probably missed a few too.

So yeah we got two giant countries bordering us and driving to either is like crossing several European countries.

Get the picture yet of how big the U.S. is?
edit on 21-11-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

Size has nothing to do with it.

You just don't get it, do you?

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
the truly amazing thing about all these critiques of the usa is that it is itself a melting pot comprised of people from all over the world, even from nations that claim the people here are dumb.
the irony!

racism and bigotry. it's rampant on ATS, i'm tellin' ya

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Originally posted by Domo1

We don't need to travel. The US is HUGE. Also, awesome. I did enjoy Italy though. UK boring, Germany neat etc. etc. would rather see Alaska to be honest.

Doesn't matter where you go in America - you will still see America.

I see this justification used a lot by Americans, it's quite frankly arrogant and a remarkable display of just how closed off from the outside world most Americans are.

Good on Oliver Stone for at least recognising this.

Indeed! America is one of the most insular, narcissistic cultures on Earth... but it's hard to see the problem when you're so close to it. An American friend of mine that lives here in Aus now realised this after spending enough time away from his homeland and finds it all rather embarrassing now that he has a proper focus from afar.

Edit to Add: This obviously does not mean every American is this way and I don't mean to imply that. It's often the lowest common denominator and it's unfortunate that they represent the higher ratio in any country.

IRM
edit on 21/11/11 by InfaRedMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   

This obviously does not mean every American is this way
reply to post by InfaRedMan

soo which americans are that way?
only americans who have money or only americans who don't have money?
only whites? only blacks? only chinese, hindus, japanese, central american, south american, canadian, brits, scots, germans, swedes, russians, aussies, indonesians, saudis, libyans, iraqis, iranians? only liberals? only conservatives? only christians? only catholics? only jews? only only?
perhaps it's only democrats or only republicans?

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I don't get the OP. How is Oliver Stone trolling ATS? ATS may be a large site but certainly not the only source of news and people to base an opinion on. I'm also failing to see the connection to travel, he didn't mention anything about travel. You don't need to travel to learn about other places in the world though it helps. I agree with him however on the empathy aspect as well as his opinion that we're getting screwed.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

I dont know what you mean by this but it looks like you are trying to say that people from the third world are somewhat less of a people?

Is that what you are trying to imply?

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

We don't need to travel. The US is HUGE.

That's right you don't. Please stay in your country, become fatter and leave the rest of the world alone.

Thank you!

Oh and Domo, please explain how the US is the greatest country on earth. I'll relish the answer almost as much as I do the decline of the United States into anarchy and welfare.

T
edit on 21-11-2011 by torqpoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Oh I understand it now.

All of your posts on this page were you being a troll.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Even with the EU there is still more freedom in Europe. Maybe except from England which is becoming more and more like the US in terms of police/surveilance state.
reply to post by Waldy

Strangely selective to just mention England..

Yes the rampant anglophobia of Europe is well-known, but the relative situation in the European nations themselves is getting worse at a similar rate.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by torqpoc

We don't need to travel. The US is HUGE.

That's right you don't. Please stay in your country, become fatter and leave the rest of the world alone.

Thank you!

Oh and Domo, please explain how the US is the greatest country on earth. I'll relish the answer almost as much as I do the decline of the United States into anarchy and welfare.

T
edit on 21-11-2011 by torqpoc because: (no reason given)

Oh, get over yourself. Self righteous tool. I'd rather be around "fat people" than mean miserable whiny asses. Fat people can lose weight.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Master Shen long
It took me 340 UK pounds to set off and work in about 17 countrys and that was back in 2002 and im still away and happy with a family. Never returned for anyhting except visit my sisters and uncle for a few weeks here and there.

Dude, please . . . don't hide your light under a bushel!!

Spill the beans. Tell us how you did it in a nice detailed thread, country by country. This is great information and inspiration.

As far as the topic goes. Is Oliver Stone turning into a talking head? The movie W was one of the worst whitewashes of a 21st century Eichmann that I have ever seen.

Oliver, you know better and we expect better. Get going on a screenplay skewering the Fed., the bailouts, deregulation, the one-ers. Shut your trap. Start writing.

I'll go one further. I'll give you a character for the movie.

He's a guy in business, a Bush supporter who knows that 9/11 was an inside job. He's a very interesting type of American perched right on the fence of American moral ambiguity. Read about him in this thread: Birds of a Different Feather

www.abovetopsecret.com...&colorshift=yes
edit on 21-11-2011 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
I don't get the OP. How is Oliver Stone trolling ATS? ATS may be a large site but certainly not the only source of news and people to base an opinion on. I'm also failing to see the connection to travel, he didn't mention anything about travel. You don't need to travel to learn about other places in the world though it helps. I agree with him however on the empathy aspect as well as his opinion that we're getting screwed.

Perhaps my use of the word troll was somewhat wrong, perhaps i should have used the term lurker. As for other sources of news, well sure there are millions of sites across the net and some carry more weight than others but i have an indication and however remote it may sound, certain people from the entertainment industry have visited ats in the past, this i know first hand, as for who exactly, well they surely post on occasions under pseudo names for obvious reasons.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join