It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Director Oliver Stone lashes out at US

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by NadaCambia

Originally posted by Domo1
We don't need to travel. The US is HUGE. Also, awesome. I did enjoy Italy though. UK boring, Germany neat etc. etc. would rather see Alaska to be honest.

Absolutely ignorant. Anyone who prescribes to the "we have everything here" mantra is an imbecile. There's no excuse, aside from having no money and being culturally hollow, for never leaving your country.

Allow me to be the first to blatantly say, shut up. Keep your insults at the door. I'm happy where I am and being happy is what I want to be in life. You must obviously be the culturally hollow one if you can't accept people for living in their own country.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anthropormorphic
I am as American as apple pie.

Apple pie is not American

I have had apple pie, but they were candians, oops are they considered americans or canadians...hmmm..still trying to figure that one out. On the flip side, to use that term to define someone or a nation isn't anything but simply stressing a point. I guess similar could be said when someone types, as aussie as meat pie ? ...right ?

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by supine

Originally posted by cerebralassassins

Some may recall my exact words posted here within ats, good see oliver is actually trolling ats. On the other hand its no secret that hollywood screen writers have and do visit ats for some sort of inspiration, well that is what i assume anyway, not that i am able to verify that but then again i doubt there is anyone who could deny it either.

I hate this sort of "trolling," from people like him. Verbal diarrhea that proves he plans to make a butt load more money off of his own opinions.

Mr. Stone should get his butt to Washington himelf, instead of DIRECTING others from his self serving podeum in Europe.

Edit to add:

I really do hope he reads ATS!
edit on 20-11-2011 by supine because: spelling and add text

except Oliver Stone is the 1% MANNNNNN, GRAB THE DRUMS!

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by OsubsZero13
reply to post by Domo1

Good god, you sir are so undeniably ignorant and trollish its ridiculous. You make me truly sick that you are an American. Wonder why so many people hate us, US? because of people like you

[...]

Agreed. America could do without "ambassadors" such as Domo1.

The rest of the world doesn't hate America for it's freedom. Americans are hated for obnoxiously believing that they are free and that their country is spreading freedom when the complete opposite is true on both counts.

Most Australians, Asians and Europeans are not sympathetic to the imminent destruction of the United States and it's people because of this very misplaced arrogance.

edit on 21/11/2011 by rexusdiablos because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dystopiaphiliac

We don't need to travel. The US is HUGE. Also, awesome. I did enjoy Italy though. UK boring, Germany neat etc. etc. would rather see Alaska to be honest.

Absolutely ignorant. Anyone who prescribes to the "we have everything here" mantra is an imbecile. There's no excuse, aside from having no money and being culturally hollow, for never leaving your country.

Allow me to be the first to blatantly say, shut up. Keep your insults at the door. I'm happy where I am and being happy is what I want to be in life. You must obviously be the culturally hollow one if you can't accept people for living in their own country.

Yeah! How dare he think critically and speak of realities of what his country has descended to. He needs to be more patriotic and loyal regardless of the hell spawn his country's become. It worked for the citizens of Nazi Germany, right?

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I just wish to share my story, and its relevance to this threads topic. Some background info first; I was born and raised in America.

I took a 5 week study abroad trip to Paris, France. In my time there I found it to have more personal freedoms, without having to deal with police. I quite frankly loved it there, and had plenty of time to dig around in the system. People outside America dislike the American mentality, but easily realize when you are not of that mentality. For instance, traveling with me were 300 American students; mostly from New York. A decent percentage of these people got into arguments or issues with Parisians. I happened to be with a few of them as it happened. There is a reason why I had no issues with the people of France, and that is due to my personality, However the people who had issues were the type of people who think they should be exalted. More than once in a 5 week time span, I heard an American demanding that business be done in English. Parisians know english, especially the younger ones. I found that if you at least made an attempt to speak french, even just salutations, the Parisians often acknowledged the notion of doing business in english (without being told to speak english).

It wouldnt be too far of a jump to say that people from other countries come here and be rude as well. Point being? There are $#@-holes in every country. There are nice people in every country. I will say that I tend to talk to a lot less people in America, based of personality alone. There is a completely different mindset in Europe, and it seems to be more pro-human rights and more artistically generous.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by NadaCambia

No.. I get it plenty.
I would love to travel, but it costs money. More than I have. It wouldn't cost nearly as much to be exposed to other cultures if they were your neighbors. I will one day, but as of now Canada is as far as I have gotten.

Size has a lot to do with it actually.
What do you think it is? I'm sure just a cultural bash of Americans, but that doesn't work because If I could I would definitely visit another country. I can't weekend warrior it across the border though. Most other people I know are interested in visiting another country. And before you say anything about me personally, like I said all I have been able to visit is Canada and I studied China and Mandarin in college (admittedly Mandarin is stupid hard, and I don't remember much). I'm 25, someday I will get to travel, but no it isn't that easy, and I do in fact get it.
edit on 21-11-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Master Shen long
If you google the stats between 10 and 30% of Americans have passports..... Take the real figure then its about 27%.

Brits have a 93% passport rate and Australians are the highest travelers on the globe. Why do these numbers add up?

Discuss yourself but i know from traveling to 28 countrys.

Apparently America is better than the rest of the world (im not saying you at ATS believe this).

Edit to say thats not the USA is better but the USA citizens are more naive to the rest of the world
edit on 20-11-2011 by Master Shen long because: (no reason given)

The US is huge and hence reduces the need to travel to different countries to experience different climates, scenery, cultures etc

We British like to travel in large numbers to Spain to sit in British pubs

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Lol I just love it when people who have essentially had no impact on the world sit around the hate fire and tell tales about those who have.

Does anyone on this forum really believe they have opened more eyes that he did with JFK or any number of his films ?

I sure hope your not that deluded.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Reading some of the replies by some of the posters, makes me wonder at the "real" state of the so called "real issues".

I´ve spent my life from one place to another, I do not consider myself of any nationality, because I´m from planet earth, and while we may be different on the outside, inside we are all the same, no matter where we are from, we cry and suffer and grieve over the same things, those ideas of nation, and borders and the like are just means of control, If one has the means and economical freedom to do so, borders and nations become an afterthought, as one is not confined to a said location against our wills.

Of course, not many can have the same opportunities, and even less if one does not try to achieve them.
In the long run, it will be like this, the concept of nation will be like cheering for a spots team, and nothing much, we are humans from planet earth, not only Americans from America, or wherever.

Once we begin to act and think globally like it is supposed to be, all this will be but laughing matter.

The global village fallacy sold to us nowadays is a lie, corporate matters rule , when human matters should be the norm, we aren't that free when we consider ourselves bound to any idea.

cheers!

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

reply to post by Master Shen long

Doesn't matter where you go in America - you will still see America.

I see this justification used a lot by Americans, it's quite frankly arrogant and a remarkable display of just how closed off from the outside world most Americans are.

Good on Oliver Stone for at least recognising this.

Just basically your opinion. Many people in just about all countries don't want to travel, all things being "normal". Because you tjhionk that's arrogance doesn't make it so.

I spent a good number of years in the military and saw more than my share of other "places". I'm 63 now, with wife, step children, dog, 4 cats in the yard, and don't really care to go anywhere. Why!!! Occasionally I don't want to leave my property, much less go to another country. LOL!

It might pay you to get over your misconcept of my arrogance.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by pikestaff

You should do a poll here....

Your statements would prove to be ignorant ramblings of a mental midget.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by torqpoc

We don't need to travel. The US is HUGE.

That's right you don't. Please stay in your country, become fatter and leave the rest of the world alone.

Thank you!

Oh and Domo, please explain how the US is the greatest country on earth. I'll relish the answer almost as much as I do the decline of the United States into anarchy and welfare.

T
edit on 21-11-2011 by torqpoc because: (no reason given)

Oh how you will relish an entire nation of people killing each other and welfare (children starving)?

Did your parents have ANY kids that weren't complete idiots?

Torq do you have a history of mouth or arse cancer in your family?

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Not sure about all the dick measuring here but here is my 2 cents.

I am an American. United States of America to be precise. I have traveled this continent far and wide thanks mostly to the Eisenhower Interstate System. That right there is a big reason not to hop on a plane. I can load up a car and drive to one of any 48 Sovereign States (49 if I feel like driving days across British Columbia). In these states I can visit cultures that speak English, Creole, Spanish, Navajo, German, Russian, Vietnamese and Inuit to name a few. There are ancient cities all over, lots of history predating the euro settlers. I guess that some don't think that non-white history counts.

In my travels I have seen Dinosaur fossils still in the earth, volcanoes, rainforests, deserts, mountains, beaches, the fourth largest river in the world, relics from the Apollo program, White Sands, Black Sands, swamps, the great plains and so many other things that I can't be assed to list. In grade school elders from native peoples shared their stories with us. I work with folks from Africa, Australia, Haiti, Vietnam, Japan, Austria, Russia and many other places.

Outsiders think that an American is an American. I guess that is no different than some people thinking that a Welshman is the same as a Romanian, both are European right? Regardless broad assumptions about such large places (America or Europe) are rooted in ignorance. You can find diversity everywhere if you still know how to open your eyes and your mind.

As far as one place being better than another, it all depends on what you like. Everywhere is only one generation away from being hell or maybe heaven.

As far as Oliver Stone, the hell with that tired old playwright. He is just making noise so that he can garner attention for something he plans on selling soon. That is right, he isn't in it for posterity, he is just in it for the money. If anyone with that amount of wealth really gave a #, they would start their own community with the money and try to do right, not just bitch about it.
edit on 21-11-2011 by SanguineDenial because: herp

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

reply to post by Master Shen long

OP why should I give even the slightest poo about what someone from Hollywood has to say?

UK = 80823 sq mi

US = 9826630 sq km

Leaving drunk mistake. Stars if you see it!
edit on 20-11-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-11-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

Hah - square miles v. square kilometres.

Has someone else seen it? I haven't finished reading the thread.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

If you google the stats between 10 and 30% of Americans have passports..... Take the real figure then its about 27%.

Brits have a 93% passport rate and Australians are the highest travelers on the globe. Why do these numbers add up?

Discuss yourself but i know from traveling to 28 countrys.

Apparently America is better than the rest of the world (im not saying you at ATS believe this).

Edit to say thats not the USA is better but the USA citizens are more naive to the rest of the world
edit on 20-11-2011 by Master Shen long because: (no reason given)

While you may be partly correct, I think it has more to do with the fact that Americans work more than the citizens of any other country, and we have less vacation time. Also, we've had our wealth and income steadily robbed from us, so we cannot afford to go jetting off to Europe for a week here and there. Historically, the dollar was stronger against other world currencies, and it was more expensive for Americans to travel abroad than it was for foreigners to come here on holiday. That's why we'd go to Mexico and Canada - they were always cheaper.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
The fact is most of us could care less about the rest of the world. It is in our genes. We are a people who left old Europe behind. Seal the boarders, farm our own food, run our own factories. pump our oil and we will do fine. The rest of the world would melt into Anarchy. The truth is they need us far more than we need them.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ipsedixit

It took me 340 UK pounds to set off and work in about 17 countrys and that was back in 2002 and im still away and happy with a family. Never returned for anyhting except visit my sisters and uncle for a few weeks here and there.

Dude, please . . . don't hide your light under a bushel!!

Spill the beans. Tell us how you did it in a nice detailed thread, country by country. This is great information and inspiration.

Do you really not believe him? Thousands of Britons leave the UK every year with only hundreds of pounds to their name and manage to live well, working their way around the world.

I have a friend who's worked his way all through Europe to Asia, to Australia, to South America and has worked is way up to America and is just about to begin University there. He left with £800. Has been living like a king in most Asian nations

If you're prepared to work it's quite simple.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dystopiaphiliac

Nobody cannot except people living in their own country. What I can't accept is people saying "we have everything, why would I ever leave?" - That is culturally hollow.

And right back at you

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by NadaCambia

No.. I get it plenty.
I would love to travel, but it costs money. More than I have. It wouldn't cost nearly as much to be exposed to other cultures if they were your neighbors. I will one day, but as of now Canada is as far as I have gotten.

Again, I know some people don't have the money, or maybe could have the money but need to prioritise. I have zero issue with that. My problem is with people who have no intentions of ever leaving their country because they think their country has everything.

Because it's little different than someone saying "Why would I leave Texas? We've got evrything in Texas"... or "why would I leave orange county? we've got everything in orange county"

People who don't have the money to do so is completely different.

Also I don't buy that other cultures melting pot lark. You'll find more than enough diversity in any big city in the world. I can sample any culture I want by driving a few miles, but it really isn't the same

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join