It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is being anonymous on ATS the right thing? I dont think so.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Ok I stopped reading past the part where you think we should use our REAL names and pay $1.00 fee via credit card.

Are you insane? This is the silliest thing I have ever heard. Why not using your own brain and logic to weed out the crap you don't like or the bickering or whatever it is you think you can change on ATS by making people use their names and pay. Personally I don't want people in my life reading my ATS stuff. I talk ATS topics with friends but they have no idea what name I go by and I never post links to threads I have posted in on my FB. I would never use my real name on a site like this or any internet forum. I wish I could use another name on FB, that does annoy me.

If you don't like how something is done why not just go else where? If I don't like something on the site I just don't view it.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

My whole premise was for basic ID confirmation like on Ebay or Match.com.

The problem is people do not want this because they are scared. they live in FEAR.

I do not see why. What is there to fear. Maybe ID theft but only your name and Face PIC would be shown.

More and MOre prviate companies are controlling your data anyhow. Why not give it to an actual company you value using. In the UK BT is a company that has everyones data and they sell it.

Would that be the case here.

Its for the greater good. Stop the weak insulting people from their safe perches.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MrRed

the greater good is an excuse used by those to oppress and destroy others throughout history. probably not a good idea to use it in connection with your "idea".

people get fired all the time for things they post on the internet under their real names. they get looked down upon by others they know for ideas they have that aren't popular like aliens or the 9/11 conspiracy. yet here you are trying to act superior as if no one can have an opinion unless it's traceable right back to them. as if you are the arbiter of credibility. [snip]
edit on 19-10-2010 by elevatedone because: Mod Edit - removed unecessary remark

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
This is absolutely ridiculous. Anonymity is not a perch to hide behind for most of us here. It would take about 10 seconds on my profile page to see a picture of me, see what city I am in, and then about five seconds more to find my real name.

So I'll keep my dollar, what little anonymity I am allowed here, and will continue posting exactly as I always have.

~Heff

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by optimus primal
reply to post by MrRed

the greater good is an excuse used by those to oppress and destroy others throughout history. probably not a good idea to use it in connection with your "idea".

people get fired all the time for things they post on the internet under their real names. they get looked down upon by others they know for ideas they have that aren't popular like aliens or the 9/11 conspiracy. yet here you are trying to act superior as if no one can have an opinion unless it's traceable right back to them. as if you are the arbiter of credibility. again, you're a troll.

the people who get looked down upon are the strong ones. they maybe see things other do not. I dont know. If people choose to look down upon them then thats their problem.

there is not a conspiracy in everything like you are making out. Simple ID confirmation will weed out certain people.

But I do agree that I should not of used the term "greater good". Sorry about that. It was not intended the way it sounded.

I only suggested this and as its my thread I must defend it. Yes people are opposed to it. But since when has that been an excuse not to do something. I did say some points will need ironing out.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
well I did read page 1 and then skipped
to page 8 as I don't think I need to read
all 8 pages to see where this is leading.

As far as my real ID or info.
I have a strong feeling the gubment
already knows who most of us are
including me.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

This is absolutely ridiculous. Anonymity is not a perch to hide behind for most of us here. It would take about 10 seconds on my profile page to see a picture of me, see what city I am in, and then about five seconds more to find my real name.

So I'll keep my dollar, what little anonymity I am allowed here, and will continue posting exactly as I always have.

~Heff

Heff,

the dollar thing was only to validate the credit card. So credit card out.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
ATS is at its core a forum for people to rebel against the current order of things.

Injecting the current order of things into this site would kill the site.

The two really are mutually exclusive.

I'm beginning to wonder if you don't harbor some sort of ill will, either against this site or against particular members.
edit on 18-10-2010 by snusfanatic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

including me.

Mr Boondock,

I can second that. They are in fact in amongst
all sites on the net that they deem opposing.

I know I would.

But people are getting caught up with the Idea of mass details.

My point is simple ID of face and first name. At the end of the day if ATS staff wanted to sell everyone out
they could anyway. They have IP's, emails and other info gathered.

Maybe using some form of data mining program links a lot of things together. tehy could give that to the Gov and we would not know.
So some form of "trust" has to be given.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MrRed

certain people? who gets to decide who the certain people are? you?

so long as one is polite and does not knowingly provide information that is provably false ANYONE can post on ats even if it is the most crazy thing that's ever been posted. and that's a good thing!! because sometimes the fringe elements turn out to be right! i wouldn't sacrifice those rare gems for anything. i like not having to think that what i post here is visible to my friends and family. my opinions are my own, but they are not the opinions of those around me. here i find like minds. what you suggest would change that, and at that point ats would be the same as facebook. i don't post anything from ats on my facebook for a reason. but you dont' get that do you? you think what this site stands for is cowardly and "uncredible". which also begs the question, why are you still here then?

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by snusfanatic
ATS is at its core a forum for people to rebel against the current order of things.

Injecting the current order of things into this site would kill the site.

The two really are mutually exclusive.

I'm beginning to wonder if you don't harbor some sort of ill will, either against this site or against particular members.
edit on 18-10-2010 by snusfanatic because: (no reason given)

This is why many people who are not in the know of consiracy and like laugh at people who are.

Simply ridiculous assumptions. You hide and think what you say should have no recourse.

I was merely stating that some form of proper confirmation should COULD be introduced. To give more credibility to the conspiracy way. But that might work against someone like you. For good reason.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by snusfanatic

Rebel

(i) To be disobedient to authority; to assume a hostile or insubordinate attitude; to revolt.

So this is how you see yourself? Its easy when you can hide away to do this. Well done.

You want to rebel against the current order of things.

Maybe you are being everything the government says of conspiracy people.

I for one am not here to rebel. But to enjoy some good topics that are otherwise not given much time.

edit on 18/10/10 by MrRed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

including me.

Heartily agree. Sometimes I think one or two of the NSA's Crays are posting on ATS out of boredom. (wish I had one).
Heck, I'd give twenty or more a year if the mods would let me post how I really feel (with expletives) about some of the really diputs posters on ATS (without my name or picture of course). I think that would make ATS a few bucks.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Herr Red, Please stop asking me for my papers. Maybe the government knows who I am but remaining anonymous might keep us strange ATS people safe from oh I don't know.......strangER ATS people.
edit on 18-10-2010 by kenny71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
For the sake of Harmony.

I will now withdraw the view of this thread.

I am not BACKING down one bit, as face to face is what I like. Up close.

I am just not here to irritate people no end once they have made it clear they are not interested.

I see that this subject is far too delicate for some (no names).

I see that Deny Ignorance is but a meaningless statement of no intent. I see no one will ever want to stand
and fight what is clearly a path leading to mass slavery and imprisonment. I see that no matter what sort of message people on here preach it will be meaningless as they do not wish to show themselves for FEAR or everything.

I see the owners are not afraid to own a site like this and be in the for front. I see Alex Jones is not afraid to be in the public eye trying in his own weird way to out certain factions. But they will never have the support needed from the majority as you all fear your won shadows and see government agents everywhere.

What happened to standing up for what you believe?

the government has placed such fear on you that you are afraid among people of similar ideologies. They have created a place where even "freedom of Speech" as one person on this thread called it is NOT freedom of speech if you must hide away in the cupboard.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
The premise that using your real name and paying a subscription fee will stop personal insults, and even more silly, certain types of threads, isn't sound.

No one really insults me here, so I don't even see the need to stop any insulting. The mods and T & C take care of that. And just because a person has to put their face next to their idea won't stop them from posting their idea.

Trading the freedom of anonymity for the security of not being insulted... easy choice. Anonymity for the win.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MrRed

Oh I see, you are trying to get people killed.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I personally don’t believe what you envision would have anywhere near the type of effect you imagine it would.

So let’s say TomTerrific (made up user name on ATS) who is really John Smith from Hackensack NJ decides to post as himself.

Lets forget about the fact that those with common names would have to start numbering themselves for a moment i.e. John Smith 018, lets instead considering the following.

John Smith of Hackensack who works at an Auto Body Parts Store as a counter clerk and makes 12.00 an hour has now said something both patently outrageous and insulting to you.

Do you?

A. Catch the first plane to Hackensack immediately get off the plane, go to a hunting fishing store, purchase a handgun and then wait the 72 hour cooling off period in a local motel before seeking revenge.
B. Call his boss Art, which happens to be his father-in-law when he isn’t drinking to excess because he despises his son-in-law John but is determined to make sure he makes some kind of living so he can at least take some semblance of care of his daughter, and then demand he be fired.
C. Contact El Qaeda to purchase a Dirty Bomb determined to take out all of Hackensack just in case John Smith is worried you are seeking revenge and have gone into hiding.
D. Take out a full page add in the Sunday Hackensack Times proclaiming John Smith a retard?

Seriously in reality, the average poster on ATS is just an average person.

What recourse you imagine you or anyone else will have if all posters were identified is negligible at best.

Anonymity is nothing new to writers and storytellers. Many historians believe William Shakespeare was non other than Sir Francis Bacon.

Not to be confused with Kevin Bacon, Kira Sedgwick’s husband, though of course she used to be known as his wife until she came up with a Grammy Winning TV series while he kept doing really rotten B movies.

With or without anonymity you can either:

A. Complain incessantly about what you don’t like about ATS (This for some strange reason is a favorite pastime of some members)

or

B. You could actually author some great well written and researched threads and enjoy the better part of ATS by being the better part of ATS.

Wouldn’t that be something?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join