It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is being anonymous on ATS the right thing? I dont think so.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
oh yes, lets let you mine all of our date, would you like an apple pie with that?
isnt it enough that facebook and its apps sells all your info to advertisers?
that you propose that we shouldnt be anonymous?

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by hillbilly4rent

Originally posted by css1981
hmmm... I don't know if ATS would be better if we use our real names, real photo's...

Some of us do, it helps keep reply's to minimum

But that choice gives power or takes it away.

Example, the user who created this thread has not given a pic of himself to back up his claims yet you have a pic which will have served you in threads as you say.

Its the users own choice to provide it or not, thats the whole point.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ThatDGgirl

I wil be more than willing when its rolled out on here. Evey one will be on even footing. go back and read my thread. I said if we all do it then everybody can be treated the same.

So yes, I will push for this type of credibility.

None of you really have a case. The OWNERS of the site have their pics everywhere. Facebook, here, on other sites, even mockery sites have posted their pics. They are still alive and well and not being to badly stalked.

All "credible" people are not afraid to come forward.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrRed

Thats pathetic.

Nothing more or less.

My opinion to yours because this is all this thread is about.

Its a rant as its fulled with nothing but your own opinions and a complete lack of what you preach.

edit on 18-10-2010 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MrRed

ok Mr Credible, step forward.

You have been asked several times and refused to do what you demand others do. Interesting.

Me, I will remain non-credible, thanks.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

Again another person who fails to read.

I NEVER demand so read properly or dont bother commenting.

I have stated that if we all have to do this I WILL do it. No one forces me to be here.

I think this will be used very SOON.

Yes you can remain non credible. I have read some of your post on other threads and I agree with you there.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by hillbilly4rent

Billy Bob?!?

Is that you?

Your daddy's still mad about you taking his Remington, so I'd stay upriver for a bit yet, OK?

(ummm- on topic)

To MrRed(d)

You want us to pay to come on here, show our real faces and goodness knows what else, but you didn't first take it to those people who run this place?

That right?

You want ALL OF US to want it first?

Not working MrRed(d), sorry.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Interesting posts and concept, but there are flaws in it.
We live in a varied world, along with different opinions. And like certain body parts, those opinions may or may not smell so nice. Anomous postings are a safe way to vent, as well as, to state what you are thinking, within reason, without fear of reprisal or harassement. I have been around this site for a few years, got involved in it, cause I was curious and signed up. I do not desire to have my real name or location posted, as I know some of my posts have upset a few people and made others happy. I try to look at what I post with a balanced view and use a bit of common sense. The world is not a safe place, and people are often attacked for their ideas, or hated for their point of view. This happens around the world. There are instences of where people have tracked down someone and terrorized them, based off of what was posted on a blog, or written in a news paper, or even for a picture being posted and drawn.
Make no mistake, this is one of the last bastions and symbols for the Freedom of Speech left where you have both biased and unbiased comments that will come out from all walks of life. I have found, after reading many posts, to be the subconscious of the world, what the majority of people tend to think, but do not vocalize. I have also found that after being on this sight and then watching the news, most of the time, alot of stories that are reported on a national level, I found out by reading the posts here.
I say let there be a shield and not have our names or any personal data where people can read such, as it allows for all of us to safely exercise that freedom of speech. Or would you have it where one small comment and someone gets death threats or terrorized in their own home?

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by MrRed

You say we should not be anonymous. You also say that there is no danger. Be the first, step forward and post your pic.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
We live in a varied world, along with different opinions. And like certain body parts, those opinions may or may not smell so nice. Anomous postings are a safe way to vent, as well as, to state what you are thinking, within reason, without fear of reprisal or harassement. I have been around this site for a few years, got involved in it, cause I was curious and signed up. I do not desire to have my real name or location posted, as I know some of my posts have upset a few people and made others happy. I try to look at what I post with a balanced view and use a bit of common sense. The world is not a safe place, and people are often attacked for their ideas, or hated for their point of view. This happens around the world. There are instences of where people have tracked down someone and terrorized them, based off of what was posted on a blog, or written in a news paper, or even for a picture being posted and drawn.
Make no mistake, this is one of the last bastions and symbols for the Freedom of Speech left where you have both biased and unbiased comments that will come out from all walks of life. I have found, after reading many posts, to be the subconscious of the world, what the majority of people tend to think, but do not vocalize. I have also found that after being on this sight and then watching the news, most of the time, alot of stories that are reported on a national level, I found out by reading the posts here.
I say let there be a shield and not have our names or any personal data where people can read such, as it allows for all of us to safely exercise that freedom of speech. Or would you have it where one small comment and someone gets death threats or terrorized in their own home?

Thank you for you post. At least you have an adult approach to giving your reasons unlike some on here.

Again thank you!

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

Exactly. If u know anything about SA you'd probably have heard about the battle between the media and goverment who wants to regulate what they report on. This really is the last place some people can state their ideas and opinions.

I'm all for staying anon

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MrRed

says the guy doing all the just outside the line name calling. "cowards" " noncredible" etc ad nauseum. i like how you put the word "when" in there in regards to ats adopting this "feature". real sly there

but again, thankfully what you want doesn't matter. i suggest emailing your suggestion directly to bill. i'm sure , if he even bothers to respond, he'll tell you straight out "not happening".

if you want a conspiracy site with everyone's real name, picture, and credit card info, make your own.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by momoney
reply to post by hillbilly4rent

Billy Bob?!?

Is that you?

Your daddy's still mad about you taking his Remington, so I'd stay upriver for a bit yet, OK?

(ummm- on topic)

To MrRed(d)

You want us to pay to come on here, show our real faces and goodness knows what else, but you didn't first take it to those people who run this place?

That right?

You want ALL OF US to want it first?

Not working MrRed(d), sorry.

No I did not take it to the People who run this site first.
I dont feel I need to as they will read this.

Secondly, I have a feeling that it will be imposed shortly anyway..or this and other like it will be removed by the US gov. Unless they are linked to it of course.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig

Thank you for you post. At least you have an adult approach to giving your reasons unlike some on here.

Again thank you!

Thats all fair and well but theres one problem, your original post states the following...

We have SOME "old timers" who think they are something special, putting down people who are otherwise a bit naive, thinking they can rule the roost because they are "invisible", being brash and outright insulting to some. We have new members who have come here to "fight", basically just on here to take the pee out of people who value this type of site. Then we have the "middleweights" those who choose to make outlandish claims (so ridiculous) and let it stand because they are "hidden" from the world. It would also stop a small few of the moderators from branding people without due course or for having an opinion that differs from theirs.

This is condescending to other members as well as yourself because you use an avatar.

I think everyone should be required to use their own name and pay a $1 dollar a year fee (that is [snip] all) to register by credit or debit card through paypal. This will make signing up to this site and using this site a bit more authentic and carry a bit more weight to those who look on from afar. Plus it will be harder for banned people to return countless times and cause more havoc.

Your asking people to pay for a site that is free of charge and paid for by advertising revenues at the moment, ATS is growing at the moment so theres no need for this. Also you are asking people to use personal details to pay for this that breaches the anonymus value that this site gives.

There is NO real reason to hide. Unless you are a paid disinfo agent, a government official trying to blend in, a person seeking to disrupt or someone without honest intentions. NO one is forced to be here. If you are not supposed to be here then don't be. BUT stop hiding as your voice does not carry the weight of a person willing to stand up and fight, face exposed to the world.

This part is very telling if people read it, given that you hide.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SlovenlyGhost

which is why ats doesn't require your name or any personal info, other than your email address(which could be any throw away email addy). the same thing that's happening in your country appears to be slowly happening in many other countries, including the U.S.

that's why what the OP is suggesting is so dangerous and "non credible" (see what i did there?
) . we may be safe from most governmental reprisal in america now who can really say, but maybe not for long. it's a dumb idea and thankfully one the amigos don't support.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MrRed

There is NO real reason to hide. Unless you are a paid disinfo agent, a government official trying to blend in, a person seeking to disrupt or someone without honest intentions.

Hmmmm.... None of those reasons seem to apply to me and I completely disagree with you.

If disclosing my identity had been a prerequisite all those years ago when I first joined, I would NOT have joined.

Plain and simple.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

the fee part can be waived.

It was not about the fee part.

But I have no problem paying to use a site that takes time and effort to put together.

The FEE is not the issue. Its the credibility that I have a problem with.

Far too many people making up BS or givng some outlandish story or making things up or just being a menace.

This thread is wholly appropriate.

For one it shows most people are against it. No need for the ATS owners to ever compose a polls. I saved them that work.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   

I wil be more than willing when its rolled out on here. Evey one will be on even footing. go back and read my thread. I said if we all do it then everybody can be treated the same.

So yes, I will push for this type of credibility.

None of you really have a case. The OWNERS of the site have their pics everywhere. Facebook, here, on other sites, even mockery sites have posted their pics. They are still alive and well and not being to badly stalked.

Using the owners to support your idea wont help you any, as partners in a business their name is going to be on record and public knowledge, if their pictures weren't up people would have found pictures anyway because they had the info necessary to do it. And if you believe that everyone would be on the same footing you give people way too much credit, how may posters might choose to opt out of the system because they have a middle eastern name and wouldn't want it flaunted around the forums given the current climate of distrust? Are they suddenly cowards ( to use your own phrasing I believe ) because they don't want to be harassed for having a name that makes some people immediately think terrorist?

Having your name hung out in the wind doesn't immediately make you a credible source of information, look no further than the talking heads on TV for prime examples. Credibility comes from the way you convey yourself and backing up claims, theories and ideas with good information, sources and details. There are plenty of people out there who are quite well versed on topics that they actually have no formal training or education on because they know how to research things, how to properly word information so that its easy to comprehend and back everything up with solid verifiable data. If you have such a burning desire for such things I would suggest departing ATS in favor of scientific journals where peer review and other more stringent standards are enforced to keep up the quality, because honestly this place is not some symposium, its a bloody internet message board focusing on fringe topics.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   

reply to post by XXXN3O

the fee part can be waived.

It was not about the fee part.

But I have no problem paying to use a site that takes time and effort to put together.

The FEE is not the issue. Its the credibility that I have a problem with.

Far too many people making up BS or givng some outlandish story or making things up or just being a menace.

This thread is wholly appropriate.

For one it shows most people are against it. No need for the ATS owners to ever compose a polls. I saved them that work.

If you have ever read through the archives of the site and beyond you can find some gold.

It might get buried the more popular the site becomes but its all there.

I disagree with your opinion but I see where your coming from. Its not needed though and it would only serve to put many people off using the site, ive posted some things on this site that I would prefer remain anonymous to others in my life but I would hope aid someone in a similar situation to myself in the past. We all have a U2U if it hits home too. This site, as painful as it is sometimes with annoying or fake topics is still as close as your going to get for topics that are both original with content and anonymous when it comes to posting. Thats its value, dont you see that? If it were not, any truths would be caught upon and acted upon. Maybe you dont take things serious enough if you dont see that.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by MrRed

of course there's no need for the amigos to compose a poll, they never would have in the first place. that's the point really. it's their board , not yours. don't like it, make your own.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join