It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is being anonymous on ATS the right thing? I dont think so.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

You forgot income level and when folks plan to be out of town.

I personally would not use any site that requires personal information of any type and I think that many on this site, many who are valued contributors would simply find another forum, despite the lack of quality within that forum.

One of the most interesting topic to me is the continued erosion of privacy that is occurring within our society. Some of the debates and discussions on those topics on ATS I have found really informative and valuable. Clearly there are many members that are as concerned with privacy issues as I am and think requiring personal information would in a number of ways violate those principals.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Paypal with your credit cards? No sorry, I cut mine up a while ago. Then I stomped on them for a really long time. Then I dumped about five gallons of gas on them and set them on fire..well not exactly a fire, more like a really big WHOOSH...yeh and there was a WHOMP at the end.reply to post by MrRed

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

You gave far more details to your Braodband company than you would have to here.

But you do make a VERY fair point. I want all opinions. No one opinion is correct.

Thanks

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I mean I really don't see the point. It's not like I would stop being an arrogant pompous ass just because you all know my real name or what I look like. I am an arrogant pompous ass.

I just think Mr. Red here is trolling for user information which is specifically against the terms and conditions that he AGREED to when he signed up for this site.

15e.) Recruitment/Solicitation:

ii) You will not Post, use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to collect or ask for the personal information (data mining) about forum members, including email addresses and "real life" names, in any manner whatsoever, or for any reason whatsoever.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
hmmm... I don't know if ATS would be better if we use our real names, real photo's...

You know, I don't care what your real name is... I also don't care if you have good looks.... or not.

I care about the things you are writing, the thoughts, Idea's etc..

This is not a dating site..

The most important things on ATS is to share your thoughts, idea's, dreams.. etc..

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrRed

Originally posted by calstorm
I can see so many things wrong with this. First of all, we have members who are under the age of 18. the age limit would have to be raised.
Not everyone is mentally stable on this site.
This is a site where people often get into heated debates.
I can see it now. Person A posts something that offends person B, person B already mentally unstable snaps. Person B knowing person A's name discovers person A lives in the next town over. Person A just gained a stalker and is now receiving death threats taped to their front door.

That my friend, is real LIFE.

It can happen anywhere.

It should not be used as a barrier.

Actually this is life (real life) without anonymity...

www.npr.org...

A place where you cannot speak free for fear of libel of another.

Giving a whole rise in restricted speech if it were done on this site in particular.
edit on 18-10-2010 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Wait, does anyone find it ironic, that although there are people using their real names on this forum (and i think a few real pictures?), the dude who proposes the idea of forced unmasking is only called 'Mr. Red' and uses a painting for his picture?

Mr. Red, take the first step and change your profile as to display your real name and any information that you think should be open to us under your proposal. Try it out for a few weeks and report back with the results.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by snusfanatic
Wait, does anyone find it ironic, that although there are people using their real names on this forum (and i think a few real pictures?), the dude who proposes the idea of forced unmasking is only called 'Mr. Red' and uses a painting for his picture?

Mr. Red, take the first step and change your profile as to display your real name and any information that you think should be open to us under your proposal. Try it out for a few weeks and report back with the results.

I too noticed this but this was ignored in my earlier post by the OP.

This man/woman/person/alien etc enjoys the very freedoms he/she/it/they/them wishes to erode on the boards

edit on 18-10-2010 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
I mean I really don't see the point. It's not like I would stop being an arrogant pompous ass just because you all know my real name or what I look like. I am an arrogant pompous ass.

I just think Mr. Red here is trolling for user information which is specifically against the terms and conditions that he AGREED to when he signed up for this site.

15e.) Recruitment/Solicitation:

ii) You will not Post, use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to collect or ask for the personal information (data mining) about forum members, including email addresses and "real life" names, in any manner whatsoever, or for any reason whatsoever.

How am i doing that. See people like you are the ones who need to be excluded.

I would have no baring on the info given to ATS.
I am but a member only.

That info would be collected by whoever runs the site.

Its not like im paid to collect your inf and pass it on. Is it?

grow up.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

That has no baring here.

Its like saying that in court we should not be able to face our accuser because of the loss of anonymity.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MrRed

You want ATS to collect real names, display those real names, you want users to post their own pictures, and you want ATS to collect credit card data. ON A CONSPIRACY SITE?

I don't know, but maybe you are a brilliant hacker and would love the opportunity to slide right in to steal identities and credit card info.

I could just be paranoid of course.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
This is a bad idea.

Also "mr.redd" being a member for such a short time, and then telling people how to run the site will piss people off.
edit on 18-10-2010 by MR BOB because: poor sentance structure

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
You want ATS to collect real names, display those real names, you want users to post their own pictures, and you want ATS to collect credit card data. ON A CONSPIRACY SITE?

I don't know, but maybe you are a brilliant hacker and would love the opportunity to slide right in to steal identities and credit card info.

I could just be paranoid of course.

So THIS is how the Democrats got all that money from offshore!

ATS is Obama's golden goose!!!

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I have read all your point from all the contributors to this thread and I thank you.

I hope that more can make their points be known in a grow up manner. Doubtful but we will see.

Its late in the UK now so I must sleep for a few hours before work.

I think that ATS will become a more credible site with my idea. However, yes it will lose some members. But they are not really the type of members that can be counted on in the first place.

More will come eventually once the people know this is a site for serious contributions to the fields listen in the many forums.

The weak will always be culled at some point and ATS will eventually have to turn towards the ID way. The governments will impose that rule on sites like this one day.....or have them closed.

Its easy to close a site or cast it as a activist site when no one has to show their face.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

reply to post by XXXN3O

That has no baring here.

Its like saying that in court we should not be able to face our accuser because of the loss of anonymity.

Thats a strawman argument.

This is an internet forum, not a court.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MrRed

Four pages in and you are STILL not leading by example. WHERE is YOUR face pic? You're clever enough to have an avatar right away, so change it. Let us judge YOUR book by it's cover. As you have JUST registered here and have a fairly good writing style, I'm inclined to not trust you. This comment may have already been posted, but, no, there's no need for any of it. Don't fix it if it aint broke.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

I dont see why. Maybe the ones who are egotistical and spout nonsense all day will be annoyed. But I do not care about them one bit. Who are they? No bodies. Exactly.

Let them be pissed off. If I could use the language that springs to mind right now...well I will not.

link   

The weak will always be culled at some point and ATS will eventually have to turn towards the ID way. The governments will impose that rule on sites like this one day.....or have them closed.

I rue the day, MrRed(d), I truly do.

Big Brother can be imposing, but only if we fear him.

*scowls menacingly*

link   
For me personaly I wouldn't want people to be able to trace me in any which way.

There's been rumours in my own country that the goverment has been clamping down on anyone who opposes the goverment. Well, not even rumours anymore,now facts. ATS has a few of these threads concerning it.

I don't support our goverment at the moment and,maybe this is just out of paranoia, but I wouldn't want them to be able to trace me.

Mean,recently a blogger got arrested in SA just because of his claims.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by css1981
hmmm... I don't know if ATS would be better if we use our real names, real photo's...

Some of us do, it helps keep reply's to minimum

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join