It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcanos in Iceland, possible alarm?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Well this area is well capable of producing M6+ quake every ten years or so , we call it the "Suðurlandskjálftinn" or in english The "Southlandquake". This is caused by the tension of being over a triple junction, so it has to release built up energy about every 10 years. But this is nothing that we worry about as our building as built to withstand these kind of events. The latest events were 2008 and 2000 , both produced quakes above M6+ but before that the last M6+ happent back in 1910 and that quake was about M7+.

South Iceland Earthquake 's earthquake in south Iceland , which is 6.0 points on the Richter or more, caused by the movement of the exchange format, a narrow belt that runs from Ölfus east to the Vatnajökull . With the movement distorted crust and tension loads up. Another wave emitted by this accumulated tension released in an earthquake. Last South Iceland Earthquake happened on 29 May, 2008 and was 6.2 points before earthquakes had ridden over on 17th and 21st June in 2000 measured 6.5 and 6.6 on the Richter . In 1912 struck South Iceland earthquake was 7.0 on the Richter scale, and in 1896 there were 5 earthquakes, 6.5 to 6.9 points in the region of Landssveit West Ölfus . Jarðskjálftaár according to the South. Logs: 1013 - 1164 - 1182 - 1211 - 1294 - 1308 - 1311 - 1339 - 1370 - 1389 - 1391 - 1546 - 1581 - 1613 - 1618 - 1624 - 1630 - 1633 - 1657 - 1658 - 1663 - 1671 - 1706 - 1732 - 1734 - 1749 - 1752 - 1754 - 1784 - 1789 - 1808 - 1828 - 1829 - 1896 - 1912 - 2000 - 2008

Source

Thought you would enjoy this video from a store near the epicenter. from 2008

And from a fuel refill station

edit on 21-2-2011 by Spacedman13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Spacedman13

Those vids are fantastic! I have only been in one small eq in my life years ago in Northern California, so I can't imagine what it is like to go through bigger ones. Thank you so much for sharing those. That RV in the first one looks like it is going to roll over from the shaking!

And in regards to that specific area...so we have almost no worry about volcanic activity, but it is an area of concern in regards to possibly strong EQ's? Got it! Am looking forward to keeping an eye on it as well! (It seems like the list of things to watch and monitor never stops growing, especially in Iceland!)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
The country has been quiet for the past week, we got one quake in the middle of Vatnajökull that was marked first as over 3 richter, but was eventually marked down to a 2,5.

The only activity going on is the constants swarm in Krýsuvík about 100 quakes there during the last 2 days, all in the same spot below the lake there. Can´t say an exact number as MET seems to be having some technical difficulties posting up there findings.

Quakes in that region always seem to lead to something else bizarre happening, so im guessing we´ll be having some bigger activity real soon , most likely within the next week.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8d820fb791cb.gif[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3b6ed41a27b3.gif[/atsimg]

You can also see that the tension in this area seems to be rising Graphs
edit on 26-2-2011 by Spacedman13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Puterman could you please tell me if this kind of activity is normal haven´t looked that much at these meters.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1e856d4e4440.gif[/atsimg]

Source
edit on 26-2-2011 by Spacedman13 because: For some reason i can´t seem to make the scrollbar,, don´t know why?????

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

What are those graphs saying?!?! I hope that Puterman can explain those better.

That area is shaking a lot. For an amateur like me, this map below is really, really alarming!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/115ec39a0a67.png[/atsimg]

en.vedur.is...=map

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

Its amazing to think that such a small area can have so many quakes, although not very strong, its still a significant amount.

Im going to stick my neck out and say its probably nothing to worry about.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Catch_a_Fire

Possibly, and I hope that it is nothing. But at the time of posting this, there were 144 quakes in that one spot since Thursday, and they keep coming. Granted, most of them are in the 1.0-2.0 range, but it is a lot nonetheless.

en.vedur.is...=table

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
We are covering this in our newspapers, google translated

Swarm of Earthquakes is now underway in Krýsuvík and have over fifty earthquakes recorded in the last two days, according skjálftavef service. Earth calf Tarn are all small - the largest just under two points, and having most of the source in a small area southwest of Lake climbed three to five kilometers. Cycle as these have been prominent in the fall and winter, which began two years ago. They followed an unusually high landris, but the country rose by three centimeters in Krýsuvík, and the earth believed the reason that informed the civil upheavals. Land rose went back last winter and the first half of last year but then began again in fyrravor. They decided to patrol the area better and to this end, two new GPS-meters occurred. Seismic wave of quests in the fall of scientists came as no surprise as they had previously let know civil defense can anticipate shifts in the region. Scientists are not sure what's going on there, but most lean to the land rise can be explained by increased pressure in the geothermal system, possibly associated with magma movement.

Source

Since that report there have been about 90 more quakes. This is the youngest volcanic system here in Iceland and it is suposed to erupt about every 800-1000 years, it´s been about 800 years now so we can go ahead and add this one to the overdue list of volcano system that is suposed to erupt.

Here´s a photo of the area and the systems in subject
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5b20a86253cc.jpg[/atsimg]

I should also mention that this area has been rising and retracting since 2009 and there have been numerus reports about this area being well observed as it is the closest system to our nations capital Reykjarvík.

edit on 26-2-2011 by Spacedman13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Hey Spacedman13, umm, when is this list going to end?

Iceland is so freaking amazing for anyone fascinated with earth sciences. And by the way, do you know what stations are in that area? I'd like to keep a closer watch myself, as it is amazing to learn from watching active areas. Your article was very interesting, especially in light of the fact that the ground is rising coupled with the uncertaintity of the local experts. Wery interesting indeed!

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

This is the country that never sleeps and when you think everything is fine and dandy something else is brewing up someplace else.

Closest would be Krísvík on the left Grindavík and on the right of it is Vogsosar . As you can see from the graphs there´s a spike in tension starting at the same time as this swarm began, and you can follow it down towards katla-hekla where it dies down, what im thinking is that the graph i linked above from Heklu is being affected by the swarms on the ridge. As you can see from Hekla graph that it dies down around noon today.There was no bad weather in the last 24 hours so it couldn´t be affected by that. So as i have said before im thinking there is a clear link between Hekla and the Ridge and Hengill area.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dbed0e3ba744.jpg[/atsimg]

activity is ramping up

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Nice spotting berkeleygal , this is starting to look really serius , steady swarm now for almost 3 days and it only seems to be escalating. I just woke up by a sound like someone was knocking on my door. But there was no one there and then i come online to see what´s happening.

We´r reporting this in out newspaper

Earthquake occurred in Reykjavík at. 9 in the morning. According to the IMO was the size of the quake on the fourth Quake had their origin in Kleifarvatn, but about 200 earthquakes have been recorded there since midnight. Quake was clearly over the metropolitan area. The offices of the newspaper Hádegismóa was no doubt what was happening the house was shaking like a small hut when the door is slammed. Earthquake swarm has been running with Kleifarvatn since Thursday night and early morning urðu that two fairly large earthquakes, both the size of 3.2.

Source google translate

Likelihood of more earthquakes in the next few hours, according to Gunnar B. Gudmundsson, ground Elis a chemist at the IMO. "Men have a reservation in the first hours after such an event," says Gunnar. He encourages people to show relax. The IMO estimates that the largest quake was 4 points, but it is slightly more than shown on the automatic seismic her page. Thus the largest earthquake at 9:06 this morning said 3.7 points and Gunnar says that automatic tracking systems tend to underestimate the larger earthquakes. More accurate measurement of service indicate that the quake was 0.3 points higher or 4 points.

MBL u need google translate

So we are expecting more quakes in the next few hours, i don´t know about you but im glued to my screen at the moment.

edit on 27-2-2011 by Spacedman13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
There was this quake yesterday :

Magnitude mb 4.5
Region NORTHERN MID-ATLANTIC RIDGE
Date time 2011-02-26 05:49:40.0 UTC
Location 52.19 N ; 31.23 W
Depth 10 km
Distances 1433 km SW Reykjavík (pop 113,906 ; local time 05:49:40.0 2011-02-26)
1424 km SW Hafnarfjörður (pop 22,289 ; local time 05:49:40.0 2011-02-26)
1236 km SE Nanortalik (pop 1,509 ; local time 02:49:40.0 2011-02-26)

Could it be a follow-on from that spacedman?

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by slidingdoor

Not sure, it might be but this swarm has been happening since thursday. But there has been incresed activity in the country when quakes of large magnitudes happen further down the ridge. Good find

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Another news story update

From Krýsuvík area. "We can really not see, I went and checked the meters, and it did not see anything this was happening," says Sigþrúður Ármannsdóttir, Geographer of the IMO, when asked whether any probability of an eruption on Krýsuvík region, but many earthquakes have been recorded since this morning saw the biggest four on richter. She says that many volcanoes are in the area where the last eruption for hundreds of years. "It was the eruption period there from 800 to 1300, so it's not like Hekla or so,"

Source , u need google translate

So at the moment there is not a indication that the area is about to erupt which is great news. Sure hope it stays fine because i was hoping to go fishing there later this summer.

edit on 27-2-2011 by Spacedman13 because: Forgot to put in the source

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Morning Iceland! How far are you Spacedman13 from this area? I really appreciate your articles on this event.

There is new activity every few minutes, and the list just keeps growing. I just checked over at the Euptions Blog, and they aren't awake enough yet, just a few people noticing this swarm.

Since seismic only, is this building pressure or releasing it?

en.vedur.is...=map
edit on 27-2-2011 by lasertaglover because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-2-2011 by lasertaglover because: spelly with no coffee

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I thought I would add this mornings map of the area, with my post from yesterday showing the differences between the two areas. Gives me a 'Wow' moment myself.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/36e562189c11.png[/atsimg]

Originally posted by lasertaglover

What are those graphs saying?!?! I hope that Puterman can explain those better.

That area is shaking a lot. For an amateur like me, this map below is really, really alarming!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/115ec39a0a67.png[/atsimg]

en.vedur.is...=map

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Im now thinkng i should put my neck on the block, maybe we should be worried

Thats a whole lotta shaking right there.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Catch_a_Fire

It is absolutely crazy right now. Looking at the two graphs, it reminds of when a stone chip hits a car windshield...the crack stays in one spot for a little bit, and then slowly starts to spread outward, and then the next thing that you know is that the whole thing is cracked everywhere, and ready to fall apart.

That might be an extreme analogy, and I do not think Iceland is about to crack apart in any way whatsoever, but when I looked at everything this morning, it does seem like that whole area is rumbling now.

Attention...calling for some experts to please look at the data. Please?

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   

I remember a smaller swarm in the same area last year, after Putermans famous 'nothing to see here', i accepted it was normal, this however i do not see as normal. Ive looked at Iceland nearly everyday since and i dont recall this many quakes ever, this may be the beginning of something big.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join