It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcanos in Iceland, possible alarm?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a 3.4 followed by a 4.1, but still need to be reviewed so a downgrade still possible.

Interresting.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Nidwin

Very interesting, and it looks like it has been reviewed, so I think they will stand as is (might be wrong):

Sunday
27.02.2011 17:27:36 63.928 -22.034 1.1 km 4.1 90.07 4.8 km NNE of Krýsuvík
Sunday
27.02.2011 17:25:21 63.920 -22.030 1.6 km 3.4 90.07 4.0 km NNE of Krýsuvík

and fyi, up to 411 eq's.
Earthquake count:
◦Magnitude less than 1: 16
◦Magnitude 1 to 2: 329
◦Magnitude 2 to 3: 62
◦Magnitude more than 3: 4
◦Total: 411

en.vedur.is...=table

edit on 27-2-2011 by lasertaglover because: added current totals

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
It will most likely be downgraded, they usually are. I got some reports that people felt the quakes erlier today from my facebook page. But this quake that just happent i didn´t feel it at all and not seing anyone say on facebook that they felt it.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
News update from MBL

Another major earthquake hit the capital at. 17:20 today. Quake had their origin in Kleifarvatn which has ground shake all day. Quake felt well in Reykjavík and beyond.

According to Weather Agency was slightly larger than the quake this morning and was just over four points. The source of the quake is very similar place, just over 3 miles north-northeast of Krýsuvík. Seismicity was a major part of the day from 14:30 began to fall sharply on her, according to IMO and was just as tremor watch expect that the activity would die out, until happent increse in the Afternoon.

Announcements have been received from people who felt the quake from the plains of central Hafnarfjordur to Reykjavik and beyond. Felt the quake this morning was felt all the way upto Akranes.

It is worth noting that much pressure has been on the website service today and it has partly been suspended as a result..

edit on 27-2-2011 by Spacedman13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Spacedman13

Thinks look realy active since i last looked

Earthquake count:
◦Magnitude less than 1: 19
◦Magnitude 1 to 2: 355
◦Magnitude 2 to 3: 79
◦Magnitude more than 3: 5
◦Total: 458

en.vedur.is...

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

I went to bed at 05:40 this morning (27th) and was back up and computer on by 1300. There was a massive change in the pattern during that time.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cc49461d151f.gif[/atsimg]

This might be more serious than is thought. That is a BIG change.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Wow that is some hell of a change.
What do thing is going on? Could we be set to see another eruption in the coming weeks/months and if so what volcano will it be?

Well since i posted my above post there have been a lot more quakes!

Previous post:

Earthquake count:
◦Magnitude less than 1: 19
◦Magnitude 1 to 2: 355
◦Magnitude 2 to 3: 79
◦Magnitude more than 3: 5
◦Total: 458

And now:

Earthquake count:
◦Magnitude less than 1: 21
◦Magnitude 1 to 2: 427
◦Magnitude 2 to 3: 87
◦Magnitude more than 3: 6
◦Total: 541

So thats an increase of 83 quakes since i posted the above.

Starting to feel a tad bit concerned about this to be honest.

edit on 27/2/11 by boo1981 because: add ex content

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

Looking at that I would have to say that if would be Krýsuvík but I have not seen that sort of change since I have been watching. I am going to see if I can get another opinion.

edit on 27/2/2011 by PuterMan because: Meah!!! Icelandic names!

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Thanks PuterMan

Also just out of curiosity, was activity like this before Eyjafjallajökull erupted last year?
I'm just going to have a look for myself, but thought I'd ask here too.

Ok just on doing a quick search of Wiki I found this on Eyjafjallajökull:

Around December 2009, seismic activity was detected in the volcano area, with thousands of small earthquakes (mostly magnitude 1–2 on the Richter magnitude scale, with only a couple greater than 3 magnitude) 7–10 kilometres (4.3–6.2 mi) beneath the volcano. On 26 February 2010, unusual seismic activity along with rapid expansion of the Earth's crust was registered by the Meteorological Institute of Iceland. This gave geophysicists evidence that magma was pouring from underneath the crust into the magma chamber of the Eyjafjallajökull volcano and that pressure stemming from the process caused the huge crustal displacement at Þorvaldseyri farm. The seismic activity continued to increase and from 3–5 March, close to 3,000 earthquakes were measured at the epicentre of the volcano.
Wiki

So we would need to have up-lift of the Earth's crust along with thousands of quakes????? Correct me if I'm wrong.

edit on 27/2/11 by boo1981 because: add info

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
News update from Visir, u need google translate

Heavy Earthquake activity has been on the Reykjanes Ridge last night and today. The largest quake, four point two on the richter was at about half past five pm. Another little smaller tremors felt across the capital this morning. Expected with increased seismicity of the region and says geophysicist to swarm collection of Krýsuvík region can be caused upheavals. Sigrid Hreinsdóttir, geophysicist at the University of Iceland, said that Krýsuvík area has always been fairly active. "But now that we've recently been looking at events that are unusual. We set a GPS instrument on station 2007. In early 2009, the station went to show that þennslu reversibility than in May 2010 has been the area to rise again. The Earthquake activity that we're getting now is a result of this Inflation is running out, "says Sigrid. What could explain such Inflation? "Inflation The most common areas are due to volcanic activity, that is what we know best. But it has not been a lot of volcanic activity on the Reykjanes peninsula for several hundred years. If this is dynamic, this is something new, atleast something we have not seen before, "says Sigrid. The earthquake this morning was part of a large earthquake cycle. Cycle peaked in the morning when three earthquakes of 3 points scored - the largest was a four on the Richter scale. In Krýsuvík School, a few kilometers from the source of the quake said inmates who spoke to the news agency that all had played reiðiskjálfi. A number of aftershocks has happent since. And is able to predict something about the sequel? "No, but this is first encountered in this position and continues to be expected with increased seismicity. We have an active area and when we add this Inflation, we are increasing activity in this area, "says Sigrid.

And i was going to go to sleep early tonight, i doubt i´ll get any....

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
How many Volcanos are there in this Location? I remember seeing Westcoast´s Theory that Rainer,Helens etc could share the same,big Magma-Chamber. Maybe its the same in Iceland?

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
This is what Iceland looked like 5 weeks before Hekla erupted back in 2000.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2fc61c6f2883.gif[/atsimg]

back then there was 4 weeks of activity like that before she erupted and as you can see Krýsuvík was one of those places with that much activity.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Thanks for the news update.

So did i read that right....inflation as in up-lift of the Earth's crust?
Forgive me if I'm wrong.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

This POST shows the the volcano systems there. And yes these area´s are linked.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

Yes, it would seem it is well on the way to that sort of level. There seems to be a feeling on the jonf site that it is going to give us a display, but that it will not affect things like Eyja as it will be a different style of eruption.

edit on 27/2/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

Yeah that would be it , you gotta exscuse the translation , i use google translate and i try to fix up the language but sometimes "even i fail"

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Regarding your 3rd last post

Its very similar to what we're seeing now but i think the flow of magma/quakes we seem to be seeing toward Eyja'/Myrda' will release any pressure building toward Hekla.

Just a theory of course.

edit on 27/2/2011 by Catch_a_Fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Puterman did i ever tell you how much i love seing those animations. Really doesn´t look like much at first then BAM tremor city

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Thanks
Do they have any webcam's set up in this area? If its going to put on a show i would be interested to see it.

I got your translation fine

I just wanted to make sure that i read it right. I have had a fascination with volcanoes/earthquakes since i was 7yrs old and its only now that Ive thrown myself into the deep end of understanding the terms used and also reading maps/seismic data too

Must also add that you guys have taught me alot

edit on 27/2/11 by boo1981 because: word, just words

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
But even if this did erupt, wouldn't it be more like a Kilauea type event, rather than an explosive one?

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join