It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Odd public housing rule that makes 3 people share one bedroom

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by JoeSignal

What if they were not in a relationship? Would they really have to live in a one bedroom together?
If I wanted to get an apartment with a friend because I was lonely and wanted a room mate would i not be given a second bedroom.
The irony of the situation is she could get a one bedroom market rate apartment at the same price. She wanted to get at least a 2 bedroom but she could not afford one at the market rate.
This is just another example of the system keeping good people down. They have 2 and 3 bedroom apartments and townhomes at this complex.
There is even one open right now!

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I don't know, maybe I am wrong, but I think in NY the kids have to have their own bedroom....two if you have both a son and a daughter.
as far as the boyfriend goes, well.....they might not accomodate him, sorry. but then if the could just get a two bedroom, mom and the child could share one, and he could have on...since there is no hanky panky going on.

and yes, three people can have one bedroom.....as long as those three kids are of the same sex....

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Another thing the foster parenting rules are the child must have their own room. Is it really fair for them to lose their child because of this?

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

I have never really seen it done before expect once temporaly. When my neices came to stay with me for a couple weeks I was nearly kicked out because it was a lease voilation. My manager stated to me only 2 people could occupy a one bedroom this was the zoing laws in that area.
Believe me it was crowded and there was not enough room.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
Another thing the foster parenting rules are the child must have their own room. Is it really fair for them to lose their child because of this?

Yes, its fair. If they cannot provide for the child, why shouldnt they lose them?

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by brainwrek

They make $1500 together so they can support her as long as they get public housing. The issue is housing is too costly. They are not desitute. I have lived on a lot less. When my neices stayed with me for 2 and a half weeks we lived on a lot less than that.
The issue is the housing not that they can't support the child.
Do real parents get their child taken away if they only have a one bedroom or make $1500 per month?
In missouri it is still below the poverty line but not by much. I have known familes who live on less than $1000 per month.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by theWolfInsideMe

You had me at hello....

Oh yea!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1235905dce74.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   

They make $1500 together so they can support her as long as they get public housing. The issue is housing is too costly. They are not desitute. I have lived on a lot less. When my neices stayed with me for 2 and a half weeks we lived on a lot less than that.
The issue is the housing not that they can't support the child.
Do real parents get their child taken away if they only have a one bedroom or make $1500 per month?
In missouri it is still below the poverty line but not by much. I have known familes who live on less than $1000 per month.

ok, I've had enough. This has to be a troll posting.

They can support her as long as they get taxpayer funded housing?!?!?!?!

Are you serious?

Thats not supporting her, thats bringing her along for the ride.

If they cant provide housing, they cant support the child!

It isnt the duty of government to provide housing. The taxpayers have no obligation to provide a house for your friends.

Why can you not understand that?

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Let me start by saying, if you have been offended by my posts, I apologize.
It has never been my intention to bring you down, on the contrary I am trying to make you understand something, thereby levitating you.

What if they were not in a relationship? Would they really have to live in a one bedroom together?

I don't undestand the question, but yes I think they would? What kind of logic could you use that makes them deserve another bedroom over another family that has their relationship in order? (by that I mean a married couple with kids)

If I wanted to get an apartment with a friend because I was lonely and wanted a room mate would i not be given a second bedroom.

No, my friend, you would not, as it is not the governments problem that you are lonely and need a roommate. Wtf is wrong with your logic??

The irony of the situation is she could get a one bedroom market rate apartment at the same price. She wanted to get at least a 2 bedroom but she could not afford one at the market rate.
This is just another example of the system keeping good people down.

No, my friend, this is an example of rationale. The "system" sees your friends problem, and provide for her what is needed, within the means of what is possible, and legal. She is not the mother of the second child, therefore they can offer her a single bedroom apartment for her and her child. Nobody else. Where would they put the married couple with two of their own kids with different sexes, standing on the street looking in the windows of your friends new 3 bedroom apartment, given to them unrightfully, please explain that to me?

They have 2 and 3 bedroom apartments and townhomes at this complex.
There is even one open right now!

Yes, I understand your frustration, but those are not for your friends, you need to open your eyes and see that. There are other people in this world too. Not just your friends.

And I am still waiting for all the arguments from your side. Not once have you admitted that you can't account for the fact that it is wrong for your friends to "wait" the marriage because of it having to be a jewish wedding. Not once have you admitted that it is wrong that your friends without any money at all, are being allowed to keep an infant child, when they clearly have no reason to keep him/her, as they can not provide the child a future. Not once have you admitted that it is wrong that these people should expect anything from government besides the necessary.

You, my friend, have serious issues with admittance. And just for the record, I am not judging you, I am telling you.

Joe

edited small correction

[edit on 10/6/10 by JoeSignal]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

If they were married... they'd qualify for a two bedroom. What sex is the child?

[edit on 10/6/2010 by Hedera Helix]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Hedera Helix

The child is a girl.
Here is an example of low income housing

liveatoakcreekapts.com...
Low income housing is not based upon income
As you can see even low income price is over $700 for a two bedroom.

This is public housing

www.apartmentsearch.com...
This is based upon income. There is only 2 public housing places in their area.

Here is market rate

www.falconfalls.com...

I am not sure if they state prices but it is almost $900 for a 2 bedroom apartment.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
They want a jewish wedding because he's an orthodox jew. Yes. But is she? How many orthodox, or even conservative rabbis will perform an interfaith wedding? Very few.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by christianpatrick

You know I did not know that because I am not Jewish myself. It costs to rent a Jewish Synagoge I am sure. She converted but was not born a Jew.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   

I disagree with you. They have money; they make $1500 per month. Please refer to my posts about the different apartments avaiable in the area.
The child at least deserves a bedroom. It is against the rules for the child to not her own bedroom.
They should at least have a 2 bedroom apartment.
She could get a one bedroom luxery apartment for $550- $600. She actually applied to falcon falls but they would not let in her due to having too many people for a one bedroom apartment. I live at falcon falls and I pay $599 but I only have one bedroom. My dining room is my office so I suggested she make the dining room into a bedroom.
The manager here explained that is illegal for more than 2 people to occupy a one bedroom unless it is an infant under 1. The child is a 2 in a few months.
If she wanted a one bedroom she could go almost anywhere. She has considered a one bedroom but then rethought it when she knew her boyfriend refused to share a bedroom with her and the foster care divsion told her she had to move into a 2 bedroom apartment in a year because of their rules.
Right now she lives in a one bedroom apartment paying $600 a month. She is moving for more space. It is only 600 sq feet. Her finace lives in Flordia now with his father but they want to be together. His father lives in a retirement type home with nurses and on site staff. Her finace lives with his father at the home only because he has no where to go.
They even looked into moving to flordia but it is way too expensive. His father will move up here later. Once his father does his father will live in a nursing home and all his father's money goes to the retirement home.
His father can't support him; he is 87 I believe?

[edit on 10-6-2010 by dreamseeker]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

I noticed that these links that you provided have old estimates going back to 2006/2007. Be grateful that they don't live in an oil-boom area. Have they considered buying a used travel camper??? It can always be resold after things pick up/change.

Having a young child under their circumstances is difficult. If I were in their situation... I'd give the child the bedroom and the two of them (being celibate) should camp out in the living room... if there is one. Either two daybeds... or one daybed and one hide-away couch... with a small divider for privacy should get the job done... with underbed storage for clothing.

I noticed that one of your examples didn't even have a livingroom... just a kitchen/dining area. Look at the floor plan at the Oak Creek Apartments. Was that for real???

[edit on 10/6/2010 by Hedera Helix]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Yes those are real places in the area. My friends and I have been looking for places in her price range and coming up empty except for one bedrooms. The prices on the web site are current prices I just called to verify.
I am willing to back up my claims on how expensive it is I can post more links.
I actually spoke with a woman who admitted that this area is trying to price out the poor people in my are; they don't want us here.
They want us all to move to one concentated area; which has driver by shootings,gangs and murders.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

I wander how the foster division would look at that? I think that is not allowed. I am talking to my friend now and she says that is a huge reason she is moving.
I asked her is she could consider an RV or a camper but can you rent those and do they have more than one bedroom. I think the foster divsion would consider them to be homeless and take the child.
Believe me between the three of us we all looking for a good solution here. I even told when my lease is up I could move with them to bring more income in. I told I was willing to make the basement my bedroom. There is a two bedroom townhouse for rent here www.forrent.com...
I would sleep in the basement and the finace said he could stay in the storage are by the laundry. My lease in not up for a year though. $720 is a little over their price range but I have been talking with the manager trying to negoaite a lower price for a 2 year lease.
We are all brain storming now. I really was puzzled to the public housing rules but they have decided that they might just sign a short term lease with the public housing unit since the market rate won't allow 3 people in a one bedroom. It just goes to show how desperate the affordable housing situation is.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Actually the public housing one has a front room and a kitchen no dining area. It is only around 600 sq feet. That was the one you were looking at I am guessing.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I have lived in public housing at one point in my life. I was single then and was told that one person cannot have more than one bedroom if social services pays for it. Made perfect sense to me.

I do know other people on Section 8 in my state that have 2 or more bedrooms if they have children. I don't know of anybody who is or has been required to sleep 3 in a bedroom.

Maybe laws differ from state to state. I also suspect a lot depends on your social services worker. If he or she doesn't like you, they can screw you in all kinds of ways.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

From the begginning because they are white they have been treated very badly. Once she called up to check her position and they said that skinny @#@ white girl is calling again.
They yell at her for asking simple questions and then hang up on whim.
I wonder who does she need to get in contact with to complain about her treatment.
They actually made her have a seperate screening from everyone else because she is in a different area. I am sure she recieved different information than everyone else.
At most screenings there are hunderds there at hers there was just her, her finace and the social worker. Odd huh? That is why I have been looking up laws for public housing but coming up short. It made me wonder what the heck is going on.
I hate to say this might be discrimination but it might. When I went with her to look at the place I saw a family of three coming out of a three bedroom townhouse.
We were even introduced to them and that was the whole family. I didn't want to seem racist myself for saying this.
You brought up a very good point.

[edit on 10-6-2010 by dreamseeker]

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join