It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tension in Falklands rises as rig arrives and Argentina seeks help

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Gloster

Its not the people in charge who i would be fighting for its my friends, family and fellow countrymen.

the leaders are the ones who i dont like the public are the ones i do.

the public make the country

[edit on 19-2-2010 by thecrow001]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
The first error as seen in the middle east was underestimation of the oppositions abilities and cunning.

You can go in and blow the crud out of all of Latin America though, firstly half your population in the U.S. is Latin and secondly the laws of war have changed. Great? Britain and the US could not occupy Argentina let alone all of Latin America.

To start a war there is sure to be the end of the pimply heads of the western world.

Argentina should have full rights to the Falklands and any resources in the area as it is within the their economic zone.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

What a bloody tripe. Your homeland is on an island in Europe, not the Malvinas Islands where you installed settlers as to prop up a reason to turn on the war machines. You should be ashamed of your imperialistic conciousness. I hope your type of calibre devolves.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I will be, with flags and everything. English breakfast and sunday dinners all in one day.

Last time i remember there was a flag on top of a castle where i live the council removed it saying its offensive .... lol.

not this year, it will keep gonig back up, we'll see who gets bored first.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by thecrow001

You live in mainland England, how in the hell does anything to do with the Malvinas concern you? Your installed settlers are as illegal as the installed Khazars who call themselves Zionists in Palestine. The funny thing is the UK is responsible for both illegal settlements.

[edit on 19-2-2010 by TSawyer]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   

No i would not,but dont take me wrong iv been pointed with guns befoure in brazil and argentina, i would fight for my family but not for any politican whos children stays at home its them who start these wars, i will help children who needs help it brings me much more happines.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TSawyer

its ours face it.

get over it.

Its a part of Britain, they will never get it back because they want to stay British

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TSawyer

What a bloody tripe. Your homeland is on an island in Europe, not the Malvinas Islands where you installed settlers as to prop up a reason to turn on the war machines. You should be ashamed of your imperialistic conciousness. I hope your type of calibre devolves.

The empire is what it is dear boy hehehehe.

Seriously the people there hold british citizenship, and wish to remains so. Would you feel it imperialistic if this were Jersey of the Ilse of Mann.

You think just becuase it is so far away that it deserves less. Shame on you for disrespecting the life people have laid down to protect what our country belives to be true.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by spearhead
The first error as seen in the middle east was underestimation of the oppositions abilities and cunning.

You can go in and blow the crud out of all of Latin America though, firstly half your population in the U.S. is Latin and secondly the laws of war have changed. Great? Britain and the US could not occupy Argentina let alone all of Latin America.

To start a war there is sure to be the end of the pimply heads of the western world.

Argentina should have full rights to the Falklands and any resources in the area as it is within the their economic zone.

Wrong end of the stick there mate. No one is taling about waging war and occupying Latin America!!!

I think I will leave that one where it is!

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gloster

No i would not,but dont take me wrong iv been pointed with guns befoure in brazil and argentina, i would fight for my family but not for any politican whos children stays at home its them who start these wars, i will help children who needs help it brings me much more happines.

10/10 for that sentiment. Screw the politicians. as you say though it all comes down to family. and you have to protect your own. and at the moment, the people on those islands are our own.

BUT, we all hope it does not come to that, so for the moment its up to those idiots in charge!!! GROAN!!!!!

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Hi All, 1st post

I haven't followed this thread too much, but how does Argentina/S.America feel about attacking a nuclear armed country ?

Cheers

[edit on 19-2-2010 by GetAGripPeople]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

"The empire is what it is dear boy hehehehe. "

Save the grandiose fantasies of British imperialism to the confinement of your imagination. This is the 21st century. I'd recommend you think twice if you think you'd be half successful implementing such foolish ideology today. There are higher powers than yourself, "boy".

"the people there hold british citizenship"
Which bewilders any logical human being as to why they haven't found their way to mainland England yet. Did they get lost? Did the UK run out of space quota to support their citizens?

"far away that it deserves less"
Because the British forget to carry their illegal settlers home, doesn't mean they have a right to lands miles away. If the Britsh can't afford to pick up their left-overs I'm sure the Argentinians wouldn't be hard-pressed to extend the courtesy. Malvinas, from the French to the Spanish, from the Spanish to Argentina. Clear?

"what our country belives to be true"
You don't speak for your country, even if you did. that would concern my opinion in no way. I'm not British, I'm not an imperialist.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Let them try... we will kick their backsides again.
As another poster said by NATO charter counties are obligated to help an attacked member.

Argentina can't be that stupid...can they?

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Too bad no one cares about the Law of the Sea treaty...

Too bad the world sucks.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by GetAGripPeople

How foolish do you feel threatening millions of people, including the Americans, with a nuclear fallout?
. I don't think someone wants their a$$ kicked again, revolutionary-style. Play nice and don't let that tea get to your brain.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

reply to post by GetAGripPeople

How foolish do you feel threatening millions of people, including the Americans, with a nuclear fallout?
. I don't think someone wants their a$$ kicked again, revolutionary-style. Play nice and don't let that tea get to your brain.

I don't hail from a country that killed hundreds of thousands in a nuclear attack, and I am glad so.
I simply referred to this because I read a lot about the Falklands war, and Maggie was going to threaten to nuke someone, whether it be French (missiles) or Argentinians, or whoever.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Why do the Argentinians have a greater right to the Falklands than the British? The Argentinians are invaders. They are not the indigenous population. Indeed, they conducted ethnic cleansing against the indigenous population.

In addition, the population of the Falklands wishes to remain British. Case closed.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TSawyer

Your vitriolic attack and use of the word "boy" without evidence suggest that you in yourself have a need to feel superior if only to delude yourself that you are dealin witha uneducated child.

You attach on the people of the islands, in that they could not find their way home, suggests that you have no understanding of the creation of modern territorial boundries that exists today in the 21st century. recognised and protected by international law.

Your failure to understand basic irony, further reinforces you statement that you are not British which I hole heartly agree with. and better for it I believe.

I have not justification to you sir, You are not british, therefore you DO NOT understand our culture, our history or the feeling and determination of our people.

You say you are not an imperialist, well good for you. Our country was at one point. and that was the history but so where a great many countries in the world, and NOT solely European Countries, From the americas to eurasia and beyond. While I support your open border world view, if that is in fact what you are suggesting, do not for one second belive that the mind of the UK is still that is a colonising nation. Solely that we have and we will continue to protect what is recognised to be our territory.

The french may have been there, the spanish too. but it did NOT pass automatically from the empire of spain to Argentina. that is a fallacy. The argintine nation rejected the rule of spain and did not colonise in the name af the repiublic of argentina those island. Instead the British arrived and did it dfor them. Do you see the runner up in a competition whine about second place in a fair race? and so we find ourselve here.

So my opinion does not affect yours what so ever? If that were true the why do you feel the need to state your "case" in such a purile and venomous manner. even resortin to name calling. this is it true form means to me that your opinion, unless it can be constructed in a more sentient manner is not worth a jot.

However rather that just ignore you as some would do. in the manner of MY PEOPLE, I shall meet you and overcome. and that is what we shall do and have done at EVRY turn

Have a good day sir.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   

"far away that it deserves less"
Because the British forget to carry their illegal settlers home, doesn't mean they have a right to lands miles away. If the Britsh can't afford to pick up their left-overs I'm sure the Argentinians wouldn't be hard-pressed to extend the courtesy. Malvinas, from the French to the Spanish, from the Spanish to Argentina. Clear?

lol, thats the stupidest thing I've heard in a while, we all hear about the British weather, and the Falklands are far worse. The British would run for Spain, and settle that instead

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Hands off

A ROYAL Navy task force has been sent to the Falkland Islands as tension mounts with Argentina over British oil exploration in the South Atlantic. Simon Weston, 48, who suffered terrible burns in the 1982 Falklands War, is one of the most high-profile veterans of that conflict. Here, the former soldier - who was awarded an OBE in 1992 for his courage and charity work - gives his view on the latest crisis.

IT'S about time we saw some strong and decisive action taken in defence and support of the Falkland islanders.

Sending the Navy task force is a clear, firm message to the Argentines: "Hands off."

There has been constant harassment by the Argentines of the Falklands' fishing and merchant fleet, and that has unnerved the people there.

Squid fishing is one of their largest exports to the northern hemisphere. When you eat calamari, it has largely come from the Falklands.

The Argentines will take a ship and impound it for a couple of days or a week, but not for any real reason. It's harassment, and it costs the shipping companies a fortune in lost revenue.

The threat has never gone away since the 1982 conflict. It must be horrendous for the islanders to have lived like that for the past 28 years, and long before that.

The people there are hugely worth defending and supporting.

Having been there and experienced their hospitality, kindness and generosity, their wit and humour and sheer dignity, I believe we should always defend and support them.

I sound biased but my part is totally irrelevant. It's all about the islanders and their wish to remain British.

The Government may have been taking political action behind the scenes but until now they have not publicly been seen to be doing anything.

Now this immediacy of action will reassure the islanders that we do care, we will always care and they will always remain British as long as they wish to be.

We know there is oil worth hundreds of billions of dollars there and it needs to be protected - it's British.

Previously it has been too costly to get the oil out of the ground. Now that the oil price is high, it is viable.

The situation in Argentina now is not too far off what it was back in 1982.

The country has raging inflation, huge financial difficulties and other problems. The only thing they don't have now is an alcoholic for a leader or the military consensus to try and cause a fight.

So what the Argentinians are looking for is a bargaining chip to take a slice of the profit from the oil.

I don't think that we are looking at another build-up to war - the scenario in Argentina might be similar but in the Falklands it is totally different.

With the number of our Armed Forces out there plus our helicopters, the islanders are now far better protected - plus we can get people in there quickly now.

The circumstances in that way are totally different.

And the islands must be protected - in memory of those who fought and died in the Second World War, and in the Falklands War.

[edit on 19-2-2010 by john124]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join