It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tension in Falklands rises as rig arrives and Argentina seeks help

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
I see Argentina trying to rally other Latin American nations to its cause.

Venezuela and its brethren should take heed that if they get involved in this then the US will get involved.

There are three supercarriers that could be brought in on short notice.
CVN-70 Carl Vinson, CVN-75 Harry S. Truman, and CVN-77 George H.W. Bush can easily be diverted if need be.

CVN-65 Enterprise and CVN-71 Theodore Roosevelt are both in Virginia.

CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln is off the coast of Southern California.

That is more than enough firepower to wipeout every Air Force and Navy in Latin America.

The other Five supercarriers are in the Pacific or supporting operations in CENTCOM. So we have more than enough forces to maintain operations overseas. Besides it would take only about 48 hours to destroy opposing air and naval forces.

So much power. Yes. But destroying a lot of countrys air and naval forces could have consequences.
You aren´t the only military power. And if you show that grade of stupidity and violence, what make you think that other powers would start to make a preventive war towards you?
If you show such a grade of peligrosity. Do you really think that you would survive too much?
Maybe you should read Tirpits. Or Klausevitz. You are simply talking at short instance.
What happend in georgias? do you really think you can wipe all the latin american forces and not having a worldwide problem?...
what would that action show about united states or britain nations?
Never overestimate your power. and never underestimate your enemy.
You are not alone. china an russia are also nuclear powers. wiping up countrys is not that easy.
Your strategic view is quite limited.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
Britain will not send a Navy ship to guard an oil platform, will they?

Britain already did. the HMS York, a type 42 Destroyer that arrived on the 17th. This was accompanied by two other naval vessels, and a giant oil supply tanker, the RFA Wave Ruler is due to arrive anytime, if it hasn't already.

During the last conflict, it took several weeks for the Naval Task Force to arrive. This time around, I believe it is more a case of 'dont even think about it'.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
actual budget of ALL armed forces in argentina.
0.05 PBI ( 0,9 is old)
I am being objetive. WE DO NOT HAVE ANY MILITARY POWER.
We didn´t even have vehicles to move our troops so they had to hire private buses.
There are NO fighter planes that could really fly and fight.
There are NO naval fighter left with exocet missiles.
The mechanized infantry units are being converted to montain units. ( that is a nice way to say we can´t support vehicles)
We have a lot of weapon blockades. And almost all our equipment is NATO.
We can´t even replace the fire systems of our tanks because germany doesn´t sell us the spare parts.
All the transport aircraft an chopers that remain flying is because we take the parts of others. we disarm 3 C130 Hercules in order to have one flying.
we don´t have our own suply of ammunition.
The suplies for the infantry is soooo low that we buy AIRSOFT vest and uniforms to china and use them.
Our health is destroyed. Our police is destroyed.
And i am not a pessimist. You can search it on the web. Watch videos of my country army on youtube. And if you know something about this themes. You will recognise the obsollescence of our equipment.
We are really poor now. The funny thing is that we are not poor because we are simply another poor latin american country.
We are poor because our goverments do use protective anacronic economy models.
They do a lot of social assistance so they have people that don´t work and vote them.
we are poor because we choose to be poor.
We have a goverment that even have the crazyness to have a conflict with the agronomic sector ( our principal sector)
We have a self destroying goverment. That support the narcotraffic. It´s sad. But i am not tellin nothing false.
Thinkin about an argentinian attack CAN´t Be serious.

Watch our army HOME PAGE
www.ejercitoargentino.mil.ar

you will see. what they show. is useless.
google about our weapon systems, or about our troops.
Here an army officer earn 650 dollars per month. and he buys his own amunition with that money.
If any one wants specific data about our military capabilitie, send me a message with your msn and i will show you.
We even stoped using the woodland camo because we cant affoar a uniform with more than one colour.
i think that should explain.
After 1982 falkland war. The true is that we have a military blockade. we couldn´t even buy parts for Md 80s or boeings 737 due to the blockade.
And we bought used parts to small countrys.

[edit on 22-2-2010 by esco61]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by esco61

what??? they still have maradona with his magic hand
what about turning to suiciderbombers and swiming to falklands huh? Afghanistan is throwing rocks there must be rocks in Argentina.
I really think noone wants more war specially in Arentina its very hard to have a dicent life there my freinds, like i said befoure if only Argentinian could have the same choice the Kelpers have to choose, there would be a really great Britain down there andwith good soccer

[edit on 22-2-2010 by Gloster]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Brazil has the strongest military force in the region.

However, they are unlikely to give public support to Argentina-Western powers (American and Great Britain) will likely drop support for Brazil's membership to the UN Security Council and the IMF

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Also, Britain purchased F-35B Lightning II stealth fighters in December-which is replacing the Harrier GR7. Not sure if BAE Taranis is operational yet, long range stealth UAV.

Another reason why Argentina does not want war

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Well even if we are in physical possession of those 2 aircraft by now (which I somehow doubt, money may have been put down but we ain't got the keys yet have we?)... Any way even if we did don't expect them to be any use to the forces for a loooong time lol - just look how long it took us to get the AH-64 in the air after buying them - There are always problems... The AH-64's tried to blow the tail roter off with the missile exhaust didn't they?

[edit on 22/2/2010 by Now_Then]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

We are, they arrived in December.
No idea how long it will take to replace the entire Harrier fleet. We currently have three F-35s (might not wish to damage them too early)

All their test flights have been completed, I believe.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
In fact, I want to know where the money is coming from: we have another 160 Eurofigther Typhoon frames (paid for) on the way to the United Kingdom.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Chile, Argentina's traditional enemy, has long been a major supplier to the Falklands. An operations manager of a Uruguayan shipping agency who came out to Port Stanley on Saturday to discuss business was dismissive about the effectiveness of the latest Argentine decree.

Telegraph

If you read on, even commercial and tourist ships from Argentina ignored the decree

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Ok, say everything does kick off. How much are the US of A going too charge us this time for there help or do they just take thier share out of the oil revenue. Can our forces stand up too fighting on different fronts, when the people we have fighting at the moment dont have the proper equipment.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Royal Dutch Shell and BP might be drilling for the oil and gas, but the oil rig is American and an American organisation is overseeing all the work.

In other words, if Argentina or Latin America object and block the drilling-they'll have Washington to answer to.

That lends credence to my "UK=cannon fodder for the NWO" conspiracy theory then.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Royal Dutch Shell and BP might be drilling for the oil and gas, but the oil rig is American and an American organisation is overseeing all the work.

In other words, if Argentina or Latin America object and block the drilling-they'll have Washington to answer to.

How surprising. As long as corporate America benefits from it, it is all good. When we were fighting independent movements in the Dutch East Indies (Indonesia), it was the US that pressured us to grant the colony its independence under the threat of withdrawing US Marshall aid right after the second world war. This opened the road for corporate America to further exploit the Indonesian people.

I am not saying it was bad that they were granted independence, contrary, but it exemplifies how double standards rule this world as long as it benefits the ruling power(s), but hey, pretty much everyone would do that.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
Let them build the rig. Then the Argentinians should just blow it up. The Brits need to go home to Europe and get out of the southern hemisphere.

[edit on 19-2-2010 by Fromabove]

The rig is flagged under the flag of the Marshall Islands the Marshall Islands are a protectorate of the US.
www.diamondoffshore.com...

Marshall Islands
No regular military forces; under the 1983 Compact of Free Association, the US has full authority and responsibility for security and defense of the Marshall Islands; Marshall Islands Police (2009)
defense is the responsibility of the US
www.cia.gov...
en.wikipedia.org...

The drilling rig is owned by a US company Diamond Offshore Drilling, Inc.
likely many of the crew are Americans.

A attack on the rig would be a attack on the US.

Does Argentina want to go there. Do they want to attack a US oil rig in international waters or UK controlled waters.
Do there troops want to deal with US Navy Seals and Marines.
There is No way they can win.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

All they need to do is station a couple of B2's on the Falklands for a week or so.

That would send a very clear message to the Argies!

Even if they didn't fly or even if we made it up (they wouldn't know), then they might see sense.

Plonkers!!

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ppk55
It's quite simple really. The brits want a weaker pound to help exports.
So over the past few months everyone's been talking down the euro.
Now they're swapping pounds for euros at a really nice rate before the pound collapses. thank you.

When things start heating up with Argentina .. suddenly the pound will take a hit, the euro will be all ok again and greeces' issues will fade away, and those that swapped their pounds for euros will make a mint.

easy.

[edit on 22-2-2010 by ppk55]

So effectively Britain is waging war at 3 fronts plus +1 occupation force.
An economic one with Greece and a soon to start military one with Argentina, their usual NATO thing at Afghanistan, their rotating duty at Iraq.
No wonder their economy is in shambles, but they expect others to pay for this.

Now let's go a trip down to memory lane:

The Cyprus Conspiracy: America, Espionage and the Turkish Invasion

"The Cyprus Conspiracy delivers new and damning detail on how the big powers (including good old "ethical" Britain) taught Greek Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots not to live together." -Boyd Tonkin, The Guardian "O'Malley and Craig show how powerful and penetrating journalism can be by producing a book of high quality and academic value. This book fills a gap in the literature about Cyprus and the Cyprus problem

Some facts: Greek Cypriots: largely Christians, Caucasian
Turkish Cypriots: largely Muslim, whatever.
Turkey largely Muslim, whatever.
"Ethical" Britain effectively helped Islam vs not one but 2 different Christian nations.
Google maps: Cyprus Akrotiri (UK NATO very powerful Radar tech, Base)

Noticing these patterns, is there any chance "ethical" Britain will get a chance in dividing the population of Argentina over anything?

Is there any well hidden Russian-Venezuelan interests near Argentina that not even Argentina itself knows about? Will "ethical" Britain decide to create a non-issue in Argentina to ..lets hypothesize here.. offer as a leverage and later trade it to extend their presence at Cyprus, for instance?

British RAF facts:
en.wikipedia.org...

The RAF operates 1,109 aircraft and, as of October 2009, had a total man power strength of 44,300 regular,[4] and 2,500 part time personnel. These 46,800 active personnel make it the largest air force in the European Union, the second largest in NATO and fifth largest in the world. The majority of the RAF's aircraft and personnel are based in the UK with many others serving on operations (principally Afghanistan, the Middle East and the Balkans) or at long-established overseas bases (Ascension Island, Canada, Cyprus, Diego Garcia, Gibraltar, the Falkland Islands and Germany).

Yes I am biased against "ethical" Britain, but yet again they probably employ thousands of spooks over the internets.

[edit on 23-2-2010 by spacebot]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Not forgetting, Colombia has granted the US permission to operate a military base in the area. Colombia is not keen on our little friend Chavez..

BBC news

Imagine the fears if the US allowed the UK to station a few Harrier jets in Colombia.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Bring in the electric car and outlaw oil altogether!

I'm sick of it causing all these wars...

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk
reply to post by infinite

One certainly does not think the queen will loose any sleep over his comments, that is for sure.

Nobody was losing any sleep over Fidel Castro's comments either..

Cristina Fernández + Fidel Castro
Fernandez
Fernandez and Hugo Chavez

This is not 1982. This is 2010.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
cool, let's power everything by electricity. Have you considered what provides the electric power ?

Generally it's coal, then gas then a tiny bit of nuke chucked in.

Do you really prefer coal to oil ?

Originally posted by NuclearPaul
Bring in the electric car and outlaw oil altogether!

I'm sick of it causing all these wars...

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join