It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a problem with having Harriet Tubman's face on the $20 bill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Putting a former slave on a Federal Reserve Note sends out a message that slavery has been overcome in the United States.

What a slap in the face that is to those discussed in the following article. Practically nobody seems to care that prisoners sentenced illegally to longer terms than the law permits are being kept in jail...as de facto slaves.

Slavery still exists in America. Putting a former slave on a Federal Reserve Note is a way for Americans to pretend that slavery was defeated but that's a lie.

America: A Land Where Justice Is Absent

Paul Craig Roberts

America’s First Black President is a traitor to his race and also to justice.

Obama has permitted the corrupt US Department of Justice (sic), over which he wields authority, to overturn the ruling of a US Federal Court of Appeals that prisoners sentenced illegally to longer terms than the law permits must be released once the legal portion of their sentence is served. The DOJ, devoid of all integrity, compassion, and sense of justice, said that “finality” of conviction was more important than justice. Indeed, the US Justice (sic) Department’s motto is: “Justice? We don’t need no stinkin’ justice!”

Alec Karakatsanis, a civil rights attorney and co-founder of Equal Justice Under Law, tells the story here: President Obama’s Department of Injustice

See also here: Obama's DOJ Perpetrates Injustice for Tens of Thousands of Prisoners

The concept of “finality” was an invention of a harebrained Republican conservative academic lionized by the Republican Federalist Society. In years past conservatives believed—indeed, still do—that the criminal justice system coddles criminals by allowing too many appeals against their unlawful convictions. The appeals were granted by judges who thought that the system was supposed to serve justice, but conservatives demonized justice as something that enabled criminals. A succession of Republican presidents turned the US Supreme Court into an organization that only serves the interests of private corporations. Justice is nowhere in the picture.
America: A Land Where Justice Is Absent — Paul Craig Roberts

edit on 21-4-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Well, that's an extremely balanced, even handed review isn't it? It interests me that the headlines are aimed at Obama yet the body text is clearly highly critical of the Republicans in particular.

How you go about comparing a convicted criminal to a slave though is a moot point.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Maybe it's just a backhanded reminder that the federal reserve owns you all.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 06:35 AM
link   

I understand what you are saying and you have a point about the continuation of slavery... albeit a different form. Criminal Justice in the US needs a serious overhaul and that is a fight many people are engaging in currently. I just don't see why that has to mean we can't acknowledge the heroes that paved the way to freedom for so many.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 06:47 AM
link   

In no way am I downplaying slavery or the Atlantic Slave Trade but what Andrew Jackson did was to free every American from slavery.

The slavery I speak of is tax and debt slavery to the Rothschild central banksters.

Jackson's motto was "Jackson and No Bank".

He called them a "den of vipers".

Jackson did what no other President nor individual has done beforehand or since, he successfully fought the establishment of a for-profit, central bank.

It took them decades before they were able to pass the Federal Reserve and IRS Act.

Ron Paul is the only person since Jackson whos come close to freeing us from their stranglehold.

Ron Paul - “It is no coincidence that the century of total war coincided with the century of central banking".

edit on 21-4-2016 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Going by this logic, we also shouldn't have slaveowners on our currency. Because that would "send out a message that slave ownership has been overcome in the United States." And since you rightfully pointed out that people in jail are still "de facto slaves", clearly it hasn't been overcome yet.

So that still means Andrew Jackson would have to be removed, as well as George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Benjamin Franklin, among others (here's a nice blog about it).

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 06:53 AM
link   
If you really want people to recognize and acknowledge people from our history by putting them on our money, they should put their portraits on Debit Cards instead of cash.

Why have people on the currency at all?

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

Absolutely.
On his gravestone it says "I beat the Bank".

They should have replaced that dirtbag Hamilton.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I understand what you are saying about slavery.

I feel it is more of an anti-racist statement.

Just like the dollar coin has a female, to me more of a womans rights statement.

This is the "modern" days, and even if it all still exists in certain forms, we have come a long way.

Changing society isnt as easy as flipping a switch. It is in fact multi-generational.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Why would he have wanted to be on the currency of the very type of central bank he opposed? That's like putting Ron Paul on the $100 bill. It would be a slap in the face of what he claimed he stood for.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Meh.

Most currency around the world changes over time, as ours has.

So they are going to put Harriet Tubman on the 20 dollar bill? Okay, fine, she was a very important historical figure in US history, as most people on all our currency are.

Would any of you have an issue if it had bee George Washington Carver?

There were many black people that were key figures in our history. So their faces end up on our currency.

Get over it.

Personally I use my credit/debit card more than cash, and considering our cash looks (and is worth just about the same as) like Monopoly money, it all looks strange to me anyway.

As far as this change goes? Mole to Mountain.

smh

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Thomas Jefferson was 100% against the idea and motion of religious or of the church. Yet what does it say on a nickel.

To be honest. Who gives a smack who's on a bill. The representations of former and past heros and famous figures doesn't exists anymore. If Jefferson was alive today, I think if he didn't drink himself to death. He would vomit until his lungs came up.

I can say that the world has definitely gone to shi@ and would not be surprised when the note says "in Obama we trust"

To add... I'd rather have the chip in the hand.... 😛 "Delivery Boy?!?!. Now strip down and get on the probalator!

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   
This country has many problems. I don't think anyone here would argue that, but what are we gonna do? Wait till everything is perfect before we honor those who spent their lives trying to make a real difference in this world? Someone will likely say having a hero-slave suits us, since we're all slaves and don't know it. Then so be it. From what I've read, Harriet was a better woman than most of us are men.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

In no way am I downplaying slavery or the Atlantic Slave Trade but what Andrew Jackson did was to free every American from slavery.

The slavery I speak of is tax and debt slavery to the Rothschild central banksters.

Jackson's motto was "Jackson and No Bank".

He called them a "den of vipers".

Jackson did what no other President nor individual has done beforehand or since, he successfully fought the establishment of a for-profit, central bank.

It took them decades before they were able to pass the Federal Reserve and IRS Act.

Ron Paul is the only person since Jackson whos come close to freeing us from their stranglehold.

Ron Paul - “It is no coincidence that the century of total war coincided with the century of central banking".

I have a problem with Andrew Jackson being the driving force behind the Indian Removal and calling my ancestors savages.
Some hero. Only to good Christian white people.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

As a reminder of what could be.

If he wasn't on the $20 even fewer people would know anything about him. As it is I think you'd be hard pressed to find an average American that could tell you anything about him other than that he is on the $20 bill.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

What Jackson did was tantamount to genocide. He stole the Cherokees' land and inspired the continuing displacement of thousands of settled, peaceful people, including other tribes. He was only for the "white" people. Shameful.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: MagnaCarta2015

If you were born, you are owned.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   

I disagree; putting the face of a former slave on the 20 insures that US guilt for slavery is enshrined and in everyone's face..................forever! This way US whites can never deny their unjust enrichment at the hands of the black slaves that built this country and made it what it is today.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   
This woman- on- the-20 business has me so mad.

How dare they snub the trans gender community like this. RuPaul for the $1000 BILL.

Hold on... sorry! I just remembered that non of this matters. Whew. That was close.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   
The twenty dollar bill is the go to tender of street pushers and junkies. Now one more black is associated with their transactions, thank Obama.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join