It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth revolves around the sun? 1 in 4 Americans say nope

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

Just looking at those 2 numbers and positioning our star in the galactic arm says the earth is moving much slower no? I was also thinking that if we were rotating around the sun then it may be possible that there may be a planet on the other side of the sun in a similar orbital speed and we would never see it . Just a thought ...

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Just curious. Is there anyone in this thread who has actually done the observation, and the math themselves to prove the earth indeed orbits the sun? Reading a science book, watching a video, or listening to your professor doesn't count. Have YOU done the actual observation and calculations?

This is not a trick question, or a way to criticize anyone. It is a genuine inquiry.

As to the OP. I have actually known people in the church who believe EVERYTHING orbits the Earth. So to me, it is no surprise there are still people who believe this, and other things that are in opposition to modern science.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

No I didn't take the test .I thought it was a survey ... edit to add ...if two objects (earth and sun) are travelling at different speeds then shouldn't they be getting further apart ?

edit on 15-2-2014 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by the2ofusr1

The speed is clearly in relation to something, sun in relation to galaxy center, earth in relation to sun, everything is moving faster as the galaxy is actually moving towards other galaxy, is all in the links i gave you.

Yes TPTB are the reason for the lack of knowledge yes op is right at trying to keep the thread on topic yay...

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

I've observed Venus and its phases using my telescope. And I've studied Astronomy at school.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   

As to the OP. I have actually known people in the church who believe EVERYTHING orbits the Earth. So to me, it is no surprise there are still people who believe this, and other things that are in opposition to modern science.

something 500 years old is modern science?

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

So we know thee speed of the sun in relation to the Galactic center but do we know the speed of the earth in relation to the galactic center ?.....

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Indigent
reply to post by Bone75

You clearly read the op yay

Yes I did, and we agree on the evolution issue. However, pay close attention to how its worded...

And more than half don't know that humans evolved from animals.

This is just another example of how secularists have hijacked science. There's a reason those 2 questions were grouped together you know. Basically this is saying that if you don't believe in evolution you're just as stupid as someone who thinks the sun orbits the earth.

edit on 15-2-2014 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

So you read its a quote and you still expect me to give you an answer for it, ummmm interesting

i would have guess the title

Earth revolves around the sun? 1 in 4 Americans say nope

Was a clear indication of the topic at hand, never stop to amaze me how ATS prove me wrong

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   

the2ofusr1

So we know thee speed of the sun in relation to the Galactic center but do we know the speed of the earth in relation to the galactic center ?.....
It's not exactly the sum of the sun's orbital speed and the Earth's orbital speed, but probably closer to the square root of the sum of the squares of those two or something like that.

We've measured the Earth's velocity relative to the cosmic microwave background and you can calculate other velocities from there (like the milky way's velocity and so on, but they aren't extremely precise numbers).
edit on 15-2-2014 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   

AngryCymraeg

I've observed Venus and its phases using my telescope. And I've studied Astronomy at school.

Well, it's not Earth, but it'll do. Have you recorded your observations, and done the calculations which would verify that Venus orbits Sol? Can you personally verify that Venus orbits Sol, using nothing other than your personal experience?
edit on 2/15/2014 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   

That's why nobody knows anything- schools don't teach how to do anything. They've got a list of factoids, basically as filler to justify 30 hours a week of shutup and follow the rules training for every kid in America, and it does not matter if you remember any of it because the information is basically useless in a vacuum.

Can you imagine what America would be like if the average Joe were capable of having an idea and making it real on his own? If you didn't take care of people they'd just take care of themselves, if you lied to people they'd catch you, if you threatened them they'd have the option of making you explode- not a pretty picture for the government.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by The Vagabond

So does the state of education is intentioned policy or just laziness of the people in charge?

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

So we can say the sun is travelling at a speed +- relative to the back ground noise , and can probably do the same for the earth but it wont be very precise ? ...I had thought that science had all this down to precision .any estimates as to how far off from certainty they may be ?

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   

That's why nobody knows anything- schools don't teach how to do anything. They've got a list of factoids, basically as filler to justify 30 hours a week of shutup and follow the rules training for every kid in America, and it does not matter if you remember any of it because the information is basically useless in a vacuum.

Thank you. I see you caught the gist of where I was going.

Can you imagine what America would be like if the average Joe were capable of having an idea and making it real on his own? If you didn't take care of people they'd just take care of themselves, if you lied to people they'd catch you, if you threatened them they'd have the option of making you explode- not a pretty picture for the government.

Exactly. There's a big difference between reading something works a given way, and knowing how to validate that it actually does.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I don't believe the earth revolves around the sun either. Big Bang is a theory and not the correct one either. We're in an infinite universe that recycles itself in its parts, and Electric Universe hybrid at that, at least in this corner, not sure all the dimensions do things the same way. Which implies earth and the other satellites are spiralling behind the sun as she travels through space.

And as for the other questions like evolution. I believe in mid management ETS orchestrating the school/library.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Read the article. Several good laughs. Thanks.

F&S&

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   

I believe it is intentional on a very basic level, not in the sense of a grand conspiracy. In the past, a servant class would be forbidden to acquire certain powerful knowledge that might change their standing in the world.

America, most likely with the best intentions, undermined this system first with public schools and then with racial integration of schools. It seems reasonable to suspect that the student movements of the late 60s caused some conscious second guessing of this policy among powerful people.

The problem was probably addressed not from a standpoint of keeping people down, but of giving them "something constructive to do". So you start adding to credit requirements and curriculum. And if your adding to the curriculum and the requirements that means deciding what new things to teach- obviously the me curriculum will address perceived problems.

The problems of mysticism and eastern religious influence, perhaps combined with the roll of black churches in political change are probably part of what required a scientific dogma to demystify the world.
The cold war required a reworking of what history of taught to orient the nation. Etc.

Of course adding to curriculum means more total resources for schools or sacrificing in other areas. Thus vanishes the time required for practical application and rote memorization.

At some point it became impossible to miss the fact that kids were coming out of the system unable to do anything but shop, and not even keep a budget while doing that, but the kids had stopped causing problems so why go back. Just fix enough schools to train the ones you want. In come all sorts of bonus funding programs for the selected, charter schools, etc.

Next thing you know the incremental failure and adjustment of a massive system by a select few has tuned the system to do just enough, just where its needed, and left the rest of the system fouled up.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

You disapprove of racial integration???

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by AngryCymraeg

I think he said tptb regret the education available to all so they dumb it down a little
edit on 15-2-2014 by Indigent because: I hate you phone

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join