It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth revolves around the sun? 1 in 4 Americans say nope

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

the2ofusr1
reply to post by Arbitrageur

So we can say the sun is travelling at a speed +- relative to the back ground noise , and can probably do the same for the earth but it wont be very precise ? ...I had thought that science had all this down to precision .any estimates as to how far off from certainty they may be ?

Think of how fast the earth is rotating, how fast it is orbiting the sun, how fast our solar system is moving in the spinning outer strand of our galaxy, and how fast our galaxy is moving through space as a whole...

We're moving really really really really fast.

In short, there is far more that we don't know than we do. Probably better that way.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by AngryCymraeg

Absolutely not. I believe integration had the positive effect of causing young blacks and whites to work together politically and that this required a response against education of the poor as a substitute for directly oppressing the education of minorities. I intended to describe how a little Nietzsche and a lot of circumstance yielded the same result as you'd probably get if the system had been designed from the ground up as a prison for young minds.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
The earth revolves around the sun? Well, it doesn't (and also it does). Ever heard of Barycenter?
Even that is just one point of reference, among infinite others. The whole "earth revolves around sun" thing is just to give kids (and simple minded adults) a basic understanding of how things look "up there" (like the before mentioned Barycenter is useful in some applications, other points of reference are useful in others).
In this context, the statement that the sun revolves around the earth is just as correct as the one stating that the earth revolves around the sun.

Before complaining about others, look at yourself.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Marsupilami

The Sun does not revolve around the Earth, no matter how you look at it.
The Earth-Sun barycenter is located 449km from the center of the Sun. The Earth causes the Sun to wiggle a bit but not so you'd notice.
en.wikipedia.org...

Even if you exaggerate the movement, the Sun does not revolve around the Earth.

edit on 2/15/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You might want to read the rest of the post as well.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

It was a pretty short post. I did read it. But are you talking about this:

In this context, the statement that the sun revolves around the earth is just as correct as the one stating that the earth revolves around the sun.

In no context is it correct to say that the Sun revolves around the Earth. It doesn't

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Again, it's about the point of reference for your calculations. Using a strictly heliocentric model is just as stupid as using only it's geocentric counterpart. Naming our star as point of reference for most calculations is to simplify the work, since it's the heaviest and therefore most dominant object in our solar system. However, that doesn't mean it's absolute. If earth is your point of reference, everything would revolve around it (inside or outside the solar system). It complicates things, but from a mathematical (and logical) point of view it's perfectly valid.

Also, the length of a post does not determine it's quality. All you needed was in my original one (and I didn't really add anything to that, I simply tried to reword it). What you want to re-read is this:

Even that is just one point of reference, among infinite others. The whole "earth revolves around sun" thing is just to give kids (and simple minded adults) a basic understanding of how things look "up there" (like the before mentioned Barycenter is useful in some applications, other points of reference are useful in others).

edit on 15-2-2014 by Marsupilami because: typo

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

The Vagabond

I believe integration had the positive effect of causing young blacks and whites to work together politically and that this required a response against education of the poor as a substitute for directly oppressing the education of minorities.

I find it quite revealing that even in these times that people can still consider race as a factor in measuring intellect and intelligence.

One thing that all races seem to be afflicted with is the herd mentality and the propagation of apathy and ignorance it often leads to.

Ignorance doesn't discriminate.

In education and learning, people will follow the path of least resistance, they will accept what they are shown and told as fact because "everyone else does" Most will follow the herd even at their own peril.

That makes anything possible, and over time people can be made to believe anything.

Indeed, the earth is flat... Be careful, you may sail right off the end...

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
That number has to be total B.S.

I don't think I know a single person who doesn't understand that the moon revolves around the earth, and the earth revolves around the sun.

Sounds like they contracted the National Laywers Guild to take the survey.

Don't believe it, for one second.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

if humans evolved from animals, then where
are the thousands of transition fossils prior to the
cambrian explosion of lifeforms?

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

However, that doesn't mean it's absolute. If earth is your point of reference, everything would revolve around it (inside or outside the solar system).
The Earth's rotation can create that illusion but we are not talking about rotation. But if you are talking about rotation your mention of barycenters became irrelevant anyway. The Earth, like all the planets in the Solar System, revolves around the Sun. It does not matter what the point of view is. Using a geocentric model is not valid. It doesn't work.

Also, the length of a post does not determine it's quality.
I agree. I didn't say it does. I said I read your whole post. Because it was a short post, it was not time consuming to do so.
edit on 2/15/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Indigent
reply to post by MysterX

They would be wrong as the correct answer is homo sapiens

why did this thread drifted from not trusting statistics to what goes around something else to now who know what, were is the op and why he did such a poor job to prevent drifting?

oh wait that's me
less drift please? what was the op thing anyways?

None of it is drift. I have been posting actual quotes of the questions on the survey used to collect the data. People seem interested in discussing the surveys themselves rather than the news article.

edit on 15-2-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Phage you're debating with someone about whether the earth orbits the sun, or the sun orbits the earth. Per a previous discussion would this not fall under your own classification of a pointless debate?

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ausername

Hey.
It's the weekend...and it's rainy out.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   

skyblueworld
I think this boils down to lack of education, or a complete ignorance towards it.
I would go as far as saying if this study was held in the UK, it would have the same results, if not worse.
I agree with the dumbing down of our society, or people have become very lazy!

Yes, they have become lazy but it's all part of the Dumbing Down of America! There are a few good teachers out there but most have failed us. My wife and I had a foster child a few years back and she was a freshman in high school and still had to use her fingers to count...couldn't make change from a hundred dollar bill...and knew absolutely nothing about science or geography or anything else. She kept coming home with report cards that showed she was passing in all of her classes. I asked her about it and she commented that her teacher was doing her homework for her. I was PO'd and I went to the school and raised hell about it. They were just passing her through the grades. She was only with us for a year, but now she is in her twenties and has several kids without any dad around and is living a life in and out of jail. The latest we read in the papers was a story of her and a friend committing day light robbery in a couple of down town stores. They actually had a foot pursuit of her down the main street. Very sad. The school system failed her miserably and she is just one statistic. Imagine how many others this is happening to. They just give up on them rather than put any effort into it.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by spirited75

Erm, humans evolved long after the Cambrian Explosion. About 500 million years afterwards.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Earth's rotation? Illusion? Where are you getting this. Put two plain white balls with a certain mass (one higher and one lower) into empty space, with no other point of reference, nothing at all. You're observing them from the outside, without any affiliation to either of them. You can apply the same mathematical principles to both of them, simply the values of some variables would change. Other than that, there would be absolutely no difference. You can state that one revolves around the other, but that's just a matter of definition, nothing else.
Now make one ball massive, and the other one tiny. The math would still be the same, just with different values. No matter which ball you make your point of reference.
Now add other tiny balls. The movement patterns would change. Also there's be additional principals to consider, but there's still no distinction between the balls, other than their sizes and the gravitational pull they create.

Just because one is a uncomfortably hot and gigantic blob of gas, and the others are smaller blobs of gas or rocks, the basic principle hasn't changed. The idea that the everything revolves around the sun (inside our solar system) serves as vehicle to deliver the basic principles of gravitation and scale.
I'm happy to break your illusion, saying that the sun is the center and the only center in this system is utterly wrong. It is a point of reference for certain calculations (for others, other points are used, and the sun is reduced to a few involved factors).

If this still doesn't explain it, I officially give up. This is my last reply in that matter. Take it or leave it.

[edit]

reply to post by Phage

I know, it's hard when deadlocked views get challenged, but you know the saying: "The more you know"
edit on 15-2-2014 by Marsupilami because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-2-2014 by Marsupilami because: small corrections

[edit]
As a side-note. These thread are painful to read. Everyone sits on their mighty horse of set beliefs and disregards everything else as silly and uneducated. That's the same as it once was with flat-earth activists, just the focus has changed. Remember, everything is relative.
edit on 15-2-2014 by Marsupilami because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Who said anything about race as a factor in intelligence? I'm taking about racism and other sinister social motives as a factor in how schools are run.
Either I'm misunderstanding you or I am being badly misunderstood myself.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   

edit on 15-2-2014 by crappiekat because: Couldn't get links to work

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
The question from the survey reads:

“Does the Earth go around the Sun, or does the Sun go around the Earth?”

If its any consolation, the USA fared better than the EU on answering the question correctly. So take that, rest of the world, we're all equally dumb.

Source: Do one in four Americans really not believe Earth revolves around Sun?

NSF Survey results: NSF.gov (PDF)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join