It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth revolves around the sun? 1 in 4 Americans say nope

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   

ChuckNasty
reply to post by Indigent

Neither is the sun.

i see a part of it always in the center

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
The barycenter of the Sun and Jupiter causes a wobble in the Sun, right?

Is it a coincidence then, that the Solar cycles are almost a perfect match for the orbital period of Jupiter, about 12 years?

Probably not.

And shouldn't this also have a profound effect on Earths weather patterns too? If the Sun is being dragged away from and then six years later, pulled further towards Earth, that ought to have quite an effect on our climate and weather in general during the wobble.

But then again, Earth orbits the Sun 12 times for every 1 orbit Jupiter completes.

Not thought of that before, so thanks OP, your thread has caused me to think about something i don't often think about.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Indigent

That causes a dopler effect when viewed from afar outside a system.

Just saying

Also: Stare at it and repeatedly tell yourself you'll Quit smoking, over eating or any other bad habit.

edit on 15-2-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   

....it varies with the other planets and masses, not just one.

Nibiru included

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
This is the third online site/forum I read where this survey is brought up. ATS is a little late tho.

In EACH of the threads there is a handful of people who with a straight face claim that it's actually "technically correct" if someone would say otherwise since obviously it would depend on the (literal) point of view whether the Sun orbits the Earth or the other way around.

Problem: It does NOT depend on the point of view and saying whatever otherwise (like the Sun orbits the Earth etc.) is certainly NOT technical correct. The Earth either revolves/orbits the Sun or it DOESN'T, and this doesn't change by how you look at it. That we even have to discuss this is puzzling enough, the 14th century is long gone.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRulesAllowed

We know more and more every day things we think are known must be revised all the time

You are technically correct either way

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   

NoRulesAllowed
This is the third online site/forum I read where this survey is brought up. ATS is a little late tho.

In EACH of the threads there is a handful of people who with a straight face claim that it's actually "technically correct" if someone would say otherwise since obviously it would depend on the (literal) point of view whether the Sun orbits the Earth or the other way around.

Problem: It does NOT depend on the point of view and saying whatever otherwise (like the Sun orbits the Earth etc.) is certainly NOT technical correct. The Earth either revolves/orbits the Sun or it DOESN'T, and this doesn't change by how you look at it. That we even have to discuss this is puzzling enough, the 14th century is long gone.

Actually, the real problem is with the survey question itself:

Question: 134
Does the Earth go around the Sun, or does the Sun go around the Earth?
l> Earth goes around Sun
2> Sun goes around Earth

If it had been "orbit" it wouldn't be so ambiguous. Go around is still correct, but the term could imply the sun goes around Earth's sky (perspective). Orbit eliminates this interpretation.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRulesAllowed

Technically, you are incorrect.

Dependent on how a question is asked and available responses is important.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

So in the simplified model presented in this question at hand, would you say that 3/4 where closer to reality or 1/4?

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

That might be even more telling of the education standard...that the questioner presumed the kids wouldn't understand the word 'orbit', so said 'go around' instead.

Not sure what's worse really.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Does anyone else wonder how 16,000 8th graders answering a single question is the equal to 1-2000 people on the phone answer 30 mins of questions or is it just me?

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   

MysterX
reply to post by boncho

That might be even more telling of the education standard...that the questioner presumed the kids wouldn't understand the word 'orbit', so said 'go around' instead.

Not sure what's worse really.

To be fair they had some really tough ones…

Question: 179
What race do you consider yourself?

ENTER EXACT RESPONSE. IF R IS UNSURE, OR SAYS “AMERICAN”, ASK:

edit on 15-2-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

And don't forget the multiple choice question that has a code for answers not on the multiple choice:

Question: 135 Ask if Ql34=1
How long does it take for the Earth to go around the Sun: one day, one month, or one year?
I> one day
2> one month
3> one year
4> other time period (CODE BUT DO NOT OFFER)

Meaning people gave "other" enough they had to have a code for it.
edit on 15-2-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   
* sigh*
everyone knows the whole universe spins around uranus
I have it on good authority that its the equal and opposite reaction to everyone at home flushing thier toilets at the same time during the half time show at the super bowl...

wait a minute...This could be a good sign

If thought creates reality as all the gurus say, at 1 in four believing the earth goes round the sun means we are only 26 percent away from turning this whole darn mess around!

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Dang it! My mayo comment was already used!
I just asked my 5th grade twins what they think. They said "don't be silly! The earth revolves around the sun. We watch space movies!"
BTW, they were kidding about learning their basic astronomy from movies. They also just told me I was a Cyclops with 2 eyes, so take from that what you will. My guys can get really silly when they are not at each others' throats.

It's all about education - the parents especially.

edit on 2/15/2014 by Lolliek because: Apparently I was unclear on something.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   

boncho

NoRulesAllowed

Actually, the real problem is with the survey question itself:

Question: 134
Does the Earth go around the Sun, or does the Sun go around the Earth?
l> Earth goes around Sun
2> Sun goes around Earth

If it had been "orbit" it wouldn't be so ambiguous. Go around is still correct, but the term could imply the sun goes around Earth's sky (perspective). Orbit eliminates this interpretation.

I think what the tricky little buggers are after with that apparent little ambiguity is:
how well the peeps taking authorities' word over apparent observation
as in
"Who are you gonna believe? Me?...or your own LYIN eyes"
edit on 15-2-2014 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Wow..wonder how many answered 'Human'.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   
aww ...you looked up the answer on your phone!
thanks for that sad chuckle MrX
edit on 15-2-2014 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

They would be wrong as the correct answer is homo sapiens

why did this thread drifted from not trusting statistics to what goes around something else to now who know what, were is the op and why he did such a poor job to prevent drifting?

oh wait that's me
less drift please? what was the op thing anyways?

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   

In a way, yes.

2nd line.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
This doesnt shock me one bit, the amount of people out there, that just know enough to stay comfortable in there little bubble, is ridiculous. To much facebook, and video games. Not enough re-world knowledge out there, I see it all the time, while trying to hire peole for a job. Its actually very scary what little people know

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join