It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth revolves around the sun? 1 in 4 Americans say nope

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Lolliek
They said "don't be silly! The earth revolves around the sun. We watch space movies!"
BTW, they were Kidding!
It's not clear if they were kidding about watching space movies, the Earth revolving around the sun, or both?

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Indigent
I have lived in 5 countries and never i encounter someone that believe this, perhaps is normal but i never see it, this is something its learned in 2 grade where i was born, i dont think is lack of education i think is faulty education on purpose

Something is wrong with the source.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Danbones
aww ...you looked up the answer on your phone!
thanks for that sad chuckle MrX
edit on 15-2-2014 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

Nah...i can't work a phone, but cheat by writing the answers on the back of my hand in ball point pen.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Oops! They were kidding about getting their knowledge of sun/earth rotation issue from movies.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

Lol...i've always thought of us as 'The Human race'...not often thought we were 'The homo sapien race'..but still, race is more used to describe cultural, ethnic, genetic groups these days. I'm stuck in the past i suppose.

Oh to be young again.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Kind of a interesting thread op ..Given the two questions I would simple opt out as I look at the way we travel through our system slightly different then the 2 standard choices to have in my brain .If the planets went around the sun, then there would be a time when we were on the other side and not able to see them in the night sky ..But there they are every night and so I can only say that we are always on the same side of the sun ....This is a bit off topic but I thought I would share ... www.youtube.com...
peace

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by the2ofusr1

I'm sorry but are you trying to say that the Earth doesn't revolve around the Sun?

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   

So.... Scientists are wrong?

It is impossible for us to stay on the same side of the sun indefinitely.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by AngryCymraeg

This is the way I picture it in my mind ...Our sun is in a galactic arm that is moving through space and the planets are following the sun but have a spiral to them .We (our planets) are not travelling in a straight line behind the sun but are in a spiral motion .I think I have seen a good youtube clip that does a good job of explaining it .

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
You think one in four is dumbing down? the turds at the top of the punch bowl managed to erase all of this from the coriculum too

The Golden Thread of Time
This book by Crichton E M Miller reveals that the Celtic Cross is a machine to measure the wheels and cycles of Nature and the Heavens with which our ancestors once kept Time and invented the zodiacs. Time keeping and prediction resulted from its use and a deep understanding of spiritual values forgotten in our modern world. Misinterpretation and sometimes deliberate obscurity and ignorance by religious and scientific authorities has led to a distorted view in the historical perspective of our ancient past.

To measure is to Rule just like the instrument you used at School, learn what the Rulers kept secret for 2 millennia and how they understood and measured Time Temple means place of Time, understand in the Last Times at the end of The Age of Pisces the enormous implications behind the meaning of the cross and its true capabilities.

www.crichtonmiller.com...

this not a mumbo jumbo thing btw the xians stole this symbol and hid the knowledge from the peeps...easier to get at the children when they are dumb I suppose
this explains why we say to "cross" an ocean...for 27,000 years
edit on 15-2-2014 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

If that were true then we would have to go faster then the sun to pass it and then maintain that speed until we got around the other side and then slow down a bit to come back around and then keep changing speeds . If the other planets did the same surley there would be a time when we wouldn't be able to see them in the shy .

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   

the2ofusr1

If that were true then we would have to go faster then the sun to pass it and then maintain that speed until we got around the other side and then slow down a bit to come back around and then keep changing speeds . If the other planets did the same surley there would be a time when we wouldn't be able to see them in the shy .

Erm, no. Basic observation shows that we go around the Sun. Transits of Venus and Mercury show that they go around the Sun. Basic physics shows that we go around the Sun. The Solar System travels through the galaxy. And yes, there are occasionally times when we don't see other planets because they go behind the Sun. All the planets are all moving relative to each other.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   

The mass of our system moves together. It's like driving in a car. Doesn't require much force to move around if your acceleration is zero and your speed is constant.

As for the planets, they can get blocked by the sun. From our perspective, the sun takes up a very small portion of the sky. Occasionally a planet gets behind the sun.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Well I thought that we observe the other planets throughout the year .Live Venus which we call the morning star . Do we know how fast the sun is travelling ? do we know how fast the earth is travelling ? ...How about the distant planets ? I know speed would have to be measured from some fixed point but I kind of think that if the sun has a speed then we would have to be travelling faster in order to pass it ..

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   

the2ofusr1

Do we know how fast the sun is travelling ? do we know how fast the earth is travelling ?

yes we know

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

sun: 370 km/s

earth: 30 km/s

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

Sooo... which animal were we before evolving into primates? I mean if evolution is going to be presented as fact now, then surely you can answer my question.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

You clearly read the op yay

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Not sure of the math, but the center of the galaxy can be our reference point.

Speaking of galaxies, that too is moving.

To stay on topic, did you happen to take this test? If so....

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   

We're not passing it, we're revolving around it. It's called gravity.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

Probably something like this - news.discovery.com...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join