It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth revolves around the sun? 1 in 4 Americans say nope

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 03:57 AM
link   

A National Science Foundation survey offers a sobering reflection of knowledge in today's all-knowing world. Many people really do believe the sun circles the Earth. And more than half don't know that humans evolved from animals.

This bracing statistic comes from a survey of more than 2,200 people conducted by the National Science Foundation.

Fifty-two percent of Americans had no idea that humans evolved from animal species. This may be the 52 percent of people who believe that mayonnaise comes from the mayo plant.

Wow i can understand that people still dont trust evolution theory as there is holes to it, but still believing that the sun orbits earth?

This is something proven since the 16th century, how it came to be that 1/4 of the population of the country with the biggest military, economy, espionage agency and nuclear weapon stock does not have basic knowledge. is it representative? does 25% of military/government also believe in dark age believes?

I would guess not and even think this is no mistake, Americans are being made dumb on purpose for easier control, this does not happen in any other first world country and such wide spread lack of knowledge can only be instituted from the government.

At least that is what i prefer to think, its not your fault you are being made like this

edit on 15-2-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-2-2014 by Indigent because: typos

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I think this boils down to lack of education, or a complete ignorance towards it.
I would go as far as saying if this study was held in the UK, it would have the same results, if not worse.
I agree with the dumbing down of our society, or people have become very lazy!

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Indigent

A National Science Foundation survey offers a sobering reflection of knowledge in today's all-knowing world. Many people really do believe the sun circles the Earth. And more than half don't know that humans evolved from animals.

This bracing statistic comes from a survey of more than 2,200 people conducted by the National Science Foundation.

Fifty-two percent of Americans had no idea that humans evolved from animal species. This may be the 52 percent of people who believe that mayonnaise comes from the mayo plant.

Wow i can understand that people still dont trust evolution theory as there is holes to it, but still believing that the sun orbits earth?

This is something proven since the 16th century, how it came to be that 1/4 of the population of the country with the biggest military, economy, espionage agency and nuclear weapon stock does not have basic knowledge. is it representative? does 25% of military/government also believe in dark age believes?

I would guess not and even think this is no mistake, Americans are being made dumb on purpose for easier control, this does not happen in any other first world country and such wide spread lack of knowledge can only be instituted from the government.

At least that is what i prefer to think, its not your fault you are being made like this

edit on 15-2-2014 by Indigent because: typos

I would argue the percentage is actually much higher .. as people guessing (not knowing) would have a 50% chance to get it right.

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

its not your fault you are being made like this

I have to disagree! It is not as if the information is not available. It is a choice to avoid any study and just play games all day or watch soaps or take an interest in paint drying.

It is a choice, an error in setting priorities. This is very basic science taught in grade school. It is also mentioned in all sorts of TV shows, magazines. It is hard to avoid such knowledge and yet according to your source 25% of Americans have managed the feat.

P

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:14 AM
link   

A couple thousand people hardly speaks for the entire population.

Think about it; America is actually smart enough to take over the world!

- wouldn't you agree?

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I have lived in 5 countries and never i encounter someone that believe this, perhaps is normal but i never see it, this is something its learned in 2 grade where i was born, i dont think is lack of education i think is faulty education on purpose

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by iunlimited491

there are methodology to do this kind of studies and a well done sample can represent a vast population despite the low number of the sample

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by skyblueworld

That was my first thought. The sun orbiting the earth? Well, that doesn't surprise me, there are still people who believe the earth is flat.. Also, I don't see why the lumped the evolution theory in there. Evidence of evolution, specifically speaking of humans from animals (not environment adaption evolution) based on what is presented by science, is limited and not proven, in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   

The earth revolves around the sun? Where did you get this information? Just wait until Phage gets here, he'll put a stop to this nonsense.

My grandmother believed that the earth revolved around the sun, and we had to explain to her real slow about how the sun comes up in the morning and sets at night, and how do you think that happens? She laughed, and said her own grandmother had told her, and she'd believed it her entire life. A couple of months later we had to put her in one of those mobile home nursing homes (the ones that travel around the country each year, stopping at bingo halls) and she still laughs about that old wives tale.

Anyway, mods, please put this in the hoax bin before young people start to believe it (just tell them about an eclipse, when the sun moves between the earth and the moon). Thanks.
edit on 15-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Would like to see how the question was worded... Have a real hard time believing that any still think that. Could be that 1/4 Americans have a reading comp problem. Which i would not be able to defend

edit on thSat, 15 Feb 2014 04:32:08 -0600America/Chicago220140880 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Maybe some lady in a cloud told you wrong

Ill wait till phage comes to put the final nail before hoaxing a poll

weeeeeee jokes are fun, lack of education is worrisome

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Gotta love statistics.

1/4 of 2,200 people believe the earth doesn't revolve around the sun is more like it.

“There are three types of lies -- lies, damn lies, and statistics.”

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Indigent

there are methodology to do this kind of studies and a well done sample can represent a vast population despite the low number of the sample

And how well done was this one? They could at least show us the question that was asked

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I wont defend something i dont know how it was made, but trust me if the sample is taken properly it is representative of the population in study.

I heard all the time the same about elections polls, saying they are fake and all but usually the serious ones always are correct, sampling is a very complicated and rigorous science.

Again not saying this is well done or not as dont even have confidence range

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Indigent

It's a crap survey done to promote sciences. Not that I think it's that bad. I mean, the same things come out every day, "85% of parents worry their child will be murdered." Support our crime bill!

But a survey is a survey is a survey.

The result of the survey, which is conducted every two years, will be included in a National Science Foundation report to President Barack Obama and US lawmakers.

One in three respondents said science should get more funding from the government.

I actually agree with the objectives, but I doubt the survey is that objective.

www.google.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

this is the guy that put his name on the survey, tell him his work is crap.

Original press release

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Indigent
reply to post by boncho

I wont defend something i dont know how it was made, but trust me if the sample is taken properly it is representative of the population in study.

I heard all the time the same about elections polls, saying they are fake and all but usually the serious ones always are correct, sampling is a very complicated and rigorous science.

Again not saying this is well done or not as dont even have confidence range

Social science is not science. Polls affect the vote.

The only way you can tell me polls are a science is if you can predict something without making the result happen. You'd have to get complete data to prove your hypothesis. There's a reason they don't survey just a percentage of people in drug trials.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:49 AM
link   

And more than half don't know that humans evolved from animals.

I don't believe we evolved from Animals, that's a bad question to compare against the sun revolving around the Earth.
I believe another being put us on this planet, for what reason or when I can only guess.

edit on 15-2-2014 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Stop using straw mans i said sampling not polls

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:58 AM
link   

It is very counter-intuitive though that the Earth orbits the Sun. When you notice the Sun during the day, It seems that the Sun is orbiting the Earth, not the other way around.The Moon seems to behave like the Sun as well; but the Moon orbits the Earth.

edit on 15-2-2014 by lordtez because: grammar

edit on 15-2-2014 by lordtez because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join